Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(12-17-2023, 12:34 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'd be all in on Lauri.
Not the perfect fit, but there's no telling if the perfect fit becomes available.
I like the DLive-Lauri pairing.
They compliment each other.
And Lauri in a 5 out offense would be tough to handle for other teams knowing each Mav on the court can shoot the 3.

Green+Hardy+unprotected FRP+SRP and whoever they want from THJ, Holmes, Maxi, DP to make the salaries work
3 Team trade if ever.

Yeah, dealing with Ainge, that's not going to be enough. Run, run, run, before he strips us of Lively, DJJ, and Exum.
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 01:24 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Yeah, dealing with Ainge, that's not going to be enough. Run, run, run, before he strips us of Lively, DJJ, and Exum.

Ainge doesn't have anyone at gunpoint, if Ainge asks for too much, you shut merely shut down talks quickly.
I don't think there's any harm in asking him what it takes, you just need to be smart when Ainge starts talking like Lauri is worth prime Dirk.

With regards to DLive and Exum, at this point, they're almost untouchable. I wouldn't trade either for Lauri straight-up.
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 02:19 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Ainge doesn't have anyone at gunpoint, if Ainge asks for too much, you shut merely shut down talks quickly.
I don't think there's any harm in asking him what it takes, you just need to be smart when Ainge starts talking like Lauri is worth prime Dirk.

With regards to DLive and Exum, at this point, they're almost untouchable. I wouldn't trade either for Lauri straight-up.

Neither would I. My point is, you don't trade with Danny Ainge. Last time we did that, we were saddled with a decade of Dwight Powell.
Like Reply
(12-16-2023, 11:36 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/statu...9536005509

If they trade for Green, I´m done with the Mavs, but it will be easy to walk away, cause the Mavs will be done, too. 

Besides being a free of charges criminal in some sort of weird sports bubble, he´s also old, washed-up and on a horrible contract.

Mavs just got younger in the off-season and it´s proven highly successful. If they trade for another guy, he needs to be in that Markkanen/Washington age range.

(12-17-2023, 02:19 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Ainge doesn't have anyone at gunpoint, if Ainge asks for too much, you shut merely shut down talks quickly.

I get what you are saying, but you should. 

No need to worry about that, cause Ainge ain't touching any player on our roster that is older than Markkanen.
Like Reply
I wonder whether the Hornets would bite on a Holmes/Green for Washington trade.
Like Reply
Mavs get: J Grant and RW3

Blazers get: THJ, Holmes, Maxi, Omax, Hardy, 27 FRP unprotected
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 08:06 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Mavs get: J Grant and RW3

Lively/R Will/Powell
Jerami/G Will/Maxi

That would be about as ideal of a frontcourt as we could draw up. Elite two way starters. Bostons old elite defensive frontcourt as our backups. Our old starters as the 3rd team. Perfect combo of size, skill and depth

If RW3 didn't have that constant injury history, you'd have to consider that.  Grant/Grant signed for years to come mitigates the need for OMax (especially if you are keeping DJJ, Exum and Green).  If I were Portland, I wouldn't trade Grant.  Simons and Sharpe are pretty good and if you give Scoot another year or so, you might have four pretty strong pieces to build around.

I was playing around with something similar yesterday.  At its core it is THJ for Bojan (which I get is O for O).  But, Bojan can run the Offense so that two of Luka/Irving/Bojan can be on the floor at all times.  With two of those three on the floor you have plenty of scoring.  You can run a defensive center who is a vertical lob threat and two defensive wings who can hit 3's at all times (as Iztok suggests).

The RW3 part of the deal is Isaiah Stewart and brings in Holmes the unprotected 2027 and possibly other stuff into the deal.  Speaking of "force".  Stewart can back up Lively at C, but hit enough from distant that he could also play alongside Lively.  Detroit has lots of bigger guys and sooner or later needs to thin the herd.  Alas, l can see Detroit giving up Bojan and even taking our salaries back.  But, I think it would take something more than I'm proposing to get Stewart.  I'd add Hardy, but he's basically a clone of what they already have in Ivey.

Ball handlers: Luka/Kyrie/Bojan
D-Wings: Exum/DJJ/GWill/Green/OMax/(Stewart)
Centers: Lively/Stewart
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 08:06 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Mavs get: J Grant and RW3

That's a lot to pay for a constantly injured center and Grant with $132m/4yrs remaining on his contract after this season. I'd be okay if you could pull off something like THJ, Maxi, 27 1st for Grant. THJ could probably be moved to Houston for expirings+2nds if they prefer.

I think Omax is versatile enough defensively that he could play next to Grant or Williams. Not opposed to adding Hardy though if it's necessary.
Like Reply
IMO the deal is anunoby.

Green/Holmes/O-Max/Hardy/'27 DAL 1st (unprotected) for Anunoby/OPJ/Temple

I absolutely trust our FO to re-sign him.

Luka/Exum
Irving/Hardaway
Anunoby/Jones Jr.
Williams/Kleber
Lively/Powell

We have a core locked of Luka/OG/Lively/Williams and still a '25 1st to deal in the summer for minor improvements. If Luka cant win with this core, hes not the GOAT we all think.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 08:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If RW3 didn't have that constant injury history, you'd have to consider that.  Grant/Grant signed for years to come mitigates the need for OMax (especially if you are keeping DJJ, Exum and Green).  If I were Portland, I wouldn't trade Grant.  Simons and Sharpe are pretty good and if you give Scoot another year or so, you might have four pretty strong pieces to build around.

I was playing around with something similar yesterday.  At its core it is THJ for Bojan (which I get is O for O).  But, Bojan can run the Offense so that two of Luka/Irving/Bojan can be on the floor at all times.  With two of those three on the floor you have plenty of scoring.  You can run a defensive center who is a vertical lob threat and two defensive wings who can hit 3's at all times (as Iztok suggests).

The RW3 part of the deal is Isaiah Stewart and brings in Holmes the unprotected 2027 and possibly other stuff into the deal.  Speaking of "force".  Stewart can back up Lively at C, but hit enough from distant that he could also play alongside Lively.  Detroit has lots of bigger guys and sooner or later needs to thin the herd.  Alas, l can see Detroit giving up Bojan and even taking our salaries back.  But, I think it would take something more than I'm proposing to get Stewart.  I'd add Hardy, but he's basically a clone of what they already have in Ivey.

Ball handlers:  Luka/Kyrie/Bojan
D-Wings:        Exum/DJJ/GWill/Green/OMax/(Stewart)
Centers:        Lively/Stewart
I like it if we don’t include our young players. I have a hard time seeing Detroit get an unprotected 1st for either Bojan or Stewart. Hardaway should be viewed as an asset by them. Hometown, leadership etc. If we include 27 unprotected then we need good value. 

DET: THJ, Holmes, 27 FRP

DAL: Bojan, Stewart

Maybe i throw in Hardy, but this is about as far as i would go……..Offense would be even better. Stewart would help stabilize the bench defense
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 10:21 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: IMO the deal is anunoby.

Green/Holmes/O-Max/Hardy/'27 DAL 1st (unprotected) for Anunoby/OPJ/Temple

I absolutely trust our FO to re-sign him.

Luka/Exum
Irving/Hardaway
Anunoby/Jones Jr.
Williams/Kleber
Lively/Powell

We have a core locked of Luka/OG/Lively/Williams and still a '25 1st to deal in the summer for minor improvements. If Luka cant win with this core, hes not the GOAT we all think.
I like it, i just don’t think it’s reasonable. OKC could easily beat that package. So could several others
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Mavs can’t trade for Thybulle this year. I wonder though what the teams would think of a Thybulle for Green trade? Which team would not do it? Would one team need to sweeten the deal?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
I guess its an indication on how much I like this team when I don't like most of the trade proposals I see on here. In the past, I felt most of the proposals were unrealistic, but now it feels like we are giving a first for small upgrades or players that don't really address our needs. If OG is getting traded at the TDL and you think you can sign him next year, you have to pull that trigger if you can. He is the perfect long term match with Luka. But otherwise it feels like they Buyout market is the way to go.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • omahen, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
For me, adding Green is too much tinkering to place on a good, young roster. We need a backup center. Maybe there has to be a slightly bigger trade scenario to get a backup center, but the Mavs needs to stay focused on an interior presence for this year and next.

I actually like Green, but that's overkill for this roster. He'd have to come cheap and that's not happening. Keep it simple and get a rebounder who can play when Lively can't.
Like Reply
After our success with Dante Exum, I was looking through the EuroLeague leaders to see if there might be a center who could solve our backup big problem.  I have rediscovered Georgios Papagiannis and think he could be our next Dante Exum.

You may recall him as the player Vlade Divac drafted 13th overall in 2016.  This was considered a massive reach at the time and Divac was slammed for this.  Papagiannis was cut less than 2 years later and was considered one of the bigger draft busts of the decade.

Fast forward to 2022.  Papagiannis actually led the EuroLeague in blocks in 2022.  He lead the EuroLeague in rebounds in 2022.  He is 7'2" and 270 lbs.  He has a 7'6" wingspan.  He's probably big enough to provide some resistance to Jokic.  He also moves remarkably well for a player that size. 

Skeptics might say that he will kill our spacing on offense.  Prior to 2022-2023, they would have been correct.  However, he discovered the 3-point shot in 2022-2023.  This season in EuroLeague he's shooting at 55.6% from 3!  That's only in 11 games though.  Last season he shot 48.6% from 3 in EuroLeague and 56.7% in the Greek league.  That was on a total of 67 attempts last season.  Those numbers are really impressive for a giant human being.  

He seems to check every box possible in what we need in a backup center.  He's also only 26.  I think a contract similar to the Dante Exum deal would be extremely wise.  I'd actually really like to sign him to a 3-year deal at slightly above the max if we still have part of the MLE available. Backup center problem solved.
[-] The following 5 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, loki, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 12:36 PM)Winter Wrote: For me, adding Green is too much tinkering to place on a good, young roster. We need a backup center. Maybe there has to be a slightly bigger trade scenario to get a backup center, but the Mavs needs to stay focused on an interior presence for this year and next.

I actually like Green, but that's overkill for this roster. He'd have to come cheap and that's not happening. Keep it simple and get a rebounder who can play when Lively can't.

Powell + Hardy for Richards
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 12:40 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: After our success with Dante Exum, I was looking through the EuroLeague leaders to see if there might be a center who could solve our backup big problem.  I have rediscovered Georgios Papagiannis and think he could be our next Dante Exum.

You may recall him as the player Vlade Divac drafted 13th overall in 2016.  This was considered a massive reach at the time and Divac was slammed for this.  Papagiannis was cut less than 2 years later and was considered one of the bigger draft busts of the decade.

Fast forward to 2022.  Papagiannis actually led the EuroLeague in blocks in 2022.  He lead the EuroLeague in rebounds in 2022.  He is 7'2" and 270 lbs.  He has a 7'6" wingspan.  He's probably big enough to provide some resistance to Jokic.  He also moves remarkably well for a player that size. 

Skeptics might say that he will kill our spacing on offense.  Prior to 2022-2023, they would have been correct.  However, he discovered the 3-point shot in 2022-2023.  This season in EuroLeague he's shooting at 55.6% from 3!  That's only in 11 games though.  Last season he shot 48.6% from 3 in EuroLeague and 56.7% in the Greek league.  That was on a total of 67 attempts last season.  Those numbers are really impressive for a giant human being.  

He seems to check every box possible in what we need in a backup center.  He's also only 26.  I think a contract similar to the Dante Exum deal would be extremely wise.  I'd actually really like to sign him to a 3-year deal at slightly above the max if we still have part of the MLE available.  Backup center problem solved.

Bruno Cabocolo is playing for Partisan this season (Exum's team last season). Was the youngest player in the 2014 draft class and turned into an NBA meme (one year away from being one year away) but in the last two seasons he has been among the best players in europe. 

Won the championship in Germany with an underdog team. Beating the heavy favorites Berlin and Munich in the playoffs. Averaged 15pts/7reb/2blk in 22/23.
This season he averages 12/5 in euroleague. Shooting 79% from the field.

Raptors fanbase used to compare him to Giannis because he had all the physical tools but he never figured out how to use them.  Obviously never turned into a Giannis-like player but at least learned how to use his athleticism on defense. Can protect the rim and switch onto the perimeter.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Mavs2021, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(12-17-2023, 01:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Bruno Cabocolo is playing for Partisan this season (Exum's team last season). Was the youngest player in the 2014 draft class and turned into an NBA meme (one year away from being one year away) but in the last two seasons he has been among the best players in europe. 

Won the championship in Germany with an underdog team. Beating the heavy favorites Berlin and Munich in the playoffs. Averaged 15pts/7reb/2blk in 22/23.
This season he averages 12/5 in euroleague. Shooting 79% from the field.

Raptors fanbase used to compare him to Giannis because he had all the physical tools but he never figured out how to use them.  Obviously never turned into a Giannis-like player but at least learned how to use his athleticism on defense. Can protect the rim and switch onto the perimeter.

7'7"" wingspan.  I'm in.  How do we submit our ideas to Nico Harrison?
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
From the article:

Other note: Contending teams like Boston, Oklahoma City and Dallas have shown great interest in Isaiah Stewart, league sources tell The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/5142623/2023/12/...scenarios/
Like Reply
(12-18-2023, 05:32 AM)omahen Wrote: From the article:

Other note: Contending teams like Boston, Oklahoma City and Dallas have shown great interest in Isaiah Stewart, league sources tell The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/5142623/2023/12/...scenarios/

The article goes through many of the same names that get thrown around here (PJ Washington, Collins and J. Grant).  They are fan proposed deals, so they don't send nearly enough value out (Grant and Thybulle for expirings and 3 seconds?).  Detroit, unlike Dallas has cap room in the summer, so OG and Tobias are also on the radar (sound familiar?).

I like the idea of Stewart as he could back up Lively and GWill (and possibly compete to start at PF).  All of these PF candidates have warts and he isn't perfect either.  You definitely have to project what he would be here.  But, he's 22, plays with force and is getting better from deep (on a team with no spacing).  He's shown signs in past years that he might be an average NBA player.  A PER of 15 and a WS/49 of .100 are in his past and he's been above average in EPM each of his four years (and actually good at D-EPM three of the four years).  

He's Poison Pill and there isn't a direct one for one trade on the Mav's that works.  Maxi misses by a couple hundred grand.  So, it would need to involve more players (Holmes or Maxi plus a minor contract works).  The other thing that has to be pointed out is that almost all the names that get mentioned for Detroit are an effort to replace Stewart's minutes at PF.  They have their Lively in Duran and consider him and Cunningham and Thompson and Ivey as their "core four".  Stewart is not in that "core".  The other thing to bear in mind when designing trades is Detroit has their version of Hardy in Ivey.  So, Hardy may not hold as much value to Detroit as he would to others (though, I think they really have a core 3...Duran, Cunningham and Thompson, but it is too early to bail on Ivey at this point with his value so diminished).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply