Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
If the Mavs were to get Collins, he would definitely play small ball 5. Lively gets 28 minutes, probably 14 for Collins and the 6 remaining would be for Maxi (Powell gets the DNPs).
Collins gets to play PF with Maxi at C, so those would be like 20 minutes of Collins without Lively with him.
Collins and DLive would share court time together for 10 if you pencil in Collins at 30 minutes a game.

I think Collins gets his share of PNRs and would only be the corner shooter for 10 minutes a game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 12:35 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Atlanta may be the most aggressive trade partner heading to the trade deadline.  Is Murray a FA this offseason?  I wasn't aware of that.  He appears to be a guy Morey targets. 

Atl is 9-13.  Maybe they get things turned around but they were expecting more. Right now they appear stuck in mid tier with not a lot of options.  They lack the talent to be a contender while also not being one of the next upcoming young teams.

Murray signed a very team friendly 4 year extension in the summer, roughly 110/4. Rebuilding is not an option for them but it doesn't look they can build a contender around Trae
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 12:43 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Collins wouldn’t be an “all in” move. If we got him and signed a Biyambo/Drummond backup we should feel good about contention status for this year and next. I think Luka and Kai would as well. Not sure we need another star.

Let’s say it doesn’t work out. This year we fall short. Next year the same. At that point we would have expiring Collins and our picks. We could totally go for a big fish with that. Just in time for Luka to sign his extension

On the other hand, if we go all in for a top name this summer and it doesn’t work….we could have no assets and be coming up on a Luka extension with reasons for him to leave.

I don’t think Collins or a player like him is a half measure. I just don’t think we’re far away from contention and not sure the “3 star” model is best, especially with Luka

Kyrie will be 33 and likely on a decline at that point. If he manages to stay "sane" that long

All teams have to go all in at some point. Worst thing is to do half measures, imho. I don't think anyone is really pushing for a big star. "3rd bananas" are most often mentioned. If meh moves is best Mavs can do, I would much prefer a guy like Vando than a guy like Collins. Mavs problem is defense, not offense.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 01:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Kyrie... If he manages to stay "sane" that long

I sure do like sane Kyrie. I didn't know sane Kyrie was possible. So glad it does/is. With you, omahen, sir, I will hope for it to last.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 12:43 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Collins wouldn’t be an “all in” move. If we got him and signed a Biyambo/Drummond backup we should feel good about contention status for this year and next. I think Luka and Kai would as well. Not sure we need another star.

Let’s say it doesn’t work out. This year we fall short. Next year the same. At that point we would have expiring Collins and our picks. We could totally go for a big fish with that. Just in time for Luka to sign his extension

On the other hand, if we go all in for a top name this summer and it doesn’t work….we could have no assets and be coming up on a Luka extension with reasons for him to leave.

I don’t think Collins or a player like him is a half measure. I just don’t think we’re far away from contention and not sure the “3 star” model is best, especially with Luka

I would consider myself bullish on this team, but I think we are farther away from contention than adding Collins and a min center.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 01:49 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: If the Mavs were to get Collins, he would definitely play small ball 5. Lively gets 28 minutes, probably 14 for Collins and the 6 remaining would be for Maxi (Powell gets the DNPs).
Collins gets to play PF with Maxi at C, so those would be like 20 minutes of Collins without Lively with him.
Collins and DLive would share court time together for 10 if you pencil in Collins at 30 minutes a game.

I think Collins gets his share of PNRs and would only be the corner shooter for 10 minutes a game.

This is assuming a healthy, effective Maxi.  Unfortunately that has not been a safe bet in a while.  Otherwise he is playing most of his minutes next to a P&R big.  This is the same thing that happened with Wood.  A lot of his effectiveness was predicated on being next to Maxi.  It bums me out, but we can't count on Maxi for roster construction anymore.
Like Reply
Maxi - from celebrated extension to what some posters said would happen.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Maxi - from celebrated extension to what some posters said would happen.

It’s not over yet. I am nowhere remotely close to regretting his extension.

And, I’d much rather have him on this team than freaking John Collins.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 01:49 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: (Powell gets the DNPs)

You've helped me see the light - "DP" stands for "did play - even when someone else should've."
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s not over yet. I am nowhere remotely close to regretting his extension.

And, I’d much rather have him on this team than freaking John Collins.
It was over at the time of the extension, you just haven’t caught up yet.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It was over at the time of the extension, you just haven’t caught up yet.

This is overly aggressive and offends me. I guess that was your whole goal, so congratulations. 

I think it’s really shortsighted to give up on Kleber at this point, and it was a very modest extension, anyway. He could’ve never played a game again, and I probably wouldn’t have regretted it that much. Compared to what John Collins is making, I would much rather go on hoping we’ll see a return of healthy Kleber, mostly because healthy Kleber is what’s needed, not John Collins.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is overly aggressive and offends me. I guess that was your whole goal, so congratulations. 

I think it’s really shortsighted to give up on Kleber at this point, and it was a very modest extension, anyway. He could’ve never played a game again, and I probably wouldn’t have regretted it that much. Compared to what John Collins is making, I would much rather go on hoping we’ll see a return of healthy Kleber, most because healthy Kleber is what’s needed, not John Collins.
It doesn’t look all that overly aggressive to me, especially considering some of the things you’ve said to me recently, but I do apologize if it does offend you. I think it possibly feels like that to you after I made the addition by subtraction comment about THJ which you and I clearly are on opposite sides of that debate. That clearly got you up in arms considering you’re replying about Collins over Maxi when, if the trade were to happen, Maxi would still be here. I even said I had mixed emotions about doing a Collins trade.
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It doesn’t look all that overly aggressive to me, especially considering some of the things you’ve said to me recently, but I do apologize if it does offend you. I think it possibly feels like that to you after I made the addition by subtraction comment about THJ which you and I clearly are on opposite sides of that debate. That clearly got you up in arms considering you’re replying about Collins over Maxi when, if the trade were to happen, Maxi would still be here. I even said I had mixed emotions about doing a Collins trade.

C'mon, guys.

It's called "grace".
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:41 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: It's called "grace".

I totally agree. Someone questioning my intelligence gets to me, sorry. I'll try to do better steering clear of posts like that in the future. I am here to interact genuinely and learn from everyone here.

Sorry for my reaction!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Ben_Dowsett/status/1...9392874759

JUANC OUT
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:45 PM)juanc Wrote: https://twitter.com/Ben_Dowsett/status/1...9392874759

JUANC OUT

Yeah man, I don't get the fascination with that guy. 

When the Mavs were looking for a pick and roll partner for Luka, I was into it. That's not the mission anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah man, I don't get the fascination with that guy. 

When the Mavs were looking for a pick and roll partner for Luka, I was into it. That's not the mission anymore.

I don't think there's a fascination at all.  It was simply a conversation about potential power forwards on the market and his name came up because it's not like there's a bunch out there.  Pretty much everyone said they were out.

(12-12-2023, 03:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

A healthy Maxi solves a lot of problems...
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

This was not that long ago. 

It's possible that he'll never be healthy again, but we don't KNOW that. 

It's possible that he's declined at this point, but we don't KNOW that. 

What the team is missing is Kleber. Seriously, if an idealized Kleber was in the rotation, and by that I mean a plus, versatile defender who can hang on the perimeter, in the post and block shots as a help side defender with a lethal catch-and-shoot game on offense, this team miiiiiight be closer to contention than we all think. 

I do not agree that Collins fills that hole. I think O-Max could, it's just a matter of WHEN. I am fine with hoping Kleber rebounds back to form while we wait for O-Max...at least until someone points me towards a better option.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This was not that long ago. 

It's possible that he'll never be healthy again, but we don't KNOW that. 

It's possible that he's declined at this point, but we don't KNOW that. 

What the team is missing is Kleber. Seriously, if an idealized Kleber was in the rotation, and by that I mean a plus, versatile defender who can hang on the perimeter, in the post and block shots as a help side defender with a lethal catch-and-shoot game on offense, this team miiiiiight be closer to contention than we all think. 

I do not agree that Collins fills that hole. I think O-Max could, it's just a matter of WHEN. I am fine with hoping Kleber rebounds back to form while we wait for O-Max...at least until someone points me towards a better option.

All fair points, the real question at this point around Maxi is how long to you wait around to know those things that you currently don't know?

My biggest fascination is how the FO sees us in terms of contenders and how much Kyrie's current contract comes into thinking when it comes to making upgrades and the timelines around that.  The decisions around Maxi and whether or not you find alternatives is kind of at the core of all of that.  To your point, he SHOULD be our answer to our backup center problems so I would hope they at least give him a chance to get healthy for the playoffs to see how that goes but who knows.

(for the record I would MUCH rather gamble on Maxi getting healthy than go after Collins and figure everything out this summer after we learn more)
Like Reply