Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
Obviously Lively will come along slowly just like they brought Hardy along slowly. What if they are forced into getting him going faster?

That could be a priority especially if Holmes sucks early on and then they try to play Powell and Kleber and they both fail against bigger guys and thus the defense suffers greatly and now they are forced to give Lively a try with more minutes and he starts to slowly show he is the one they wanted all along and so he learns the game on the run and out of necessity he invents his game to produce the results he has to produce just so we can struggle to find a way to win games and not let other teams enjoy easy access to the rim anytime they want it.

I Just hope he does no foul out to fast every game and as for a draft pick next season we will probably notice that there is nobody behind Lively at the 5 who is worth a flying flip and so they will see the need to add another center who is at least good for being the back up who can take minutes in starts and be someone that would not be total garbage if he should be forced to start when DL has an injury or 2 to nurse.

Who else is insurance behind Lively? Holmes? Kleber? Powell? They are jokes at center and never ever need to be used at the 5 they are PF's not 5's they suck when used as a 5 plain and simple they are out of position and leave the rim unprotected from the top 5's we will have to face in the league if we wish to progress in the play offs.

The league is about to get into a cycle where the center position is way more important. Jokic Embiid and soon a guy will gt to see a lot of down in SANTONIO young Wemby is going to need to be taken on with something better than a 6'8" Holmes. Rings have lately gone to teams with top centers they are going to be the pathway to winning more and unless we find a good center the odds are against us winning any rings with what we have.

The 5 is the 2nd most important position to have talent at behind PG and that has always been the case. You get as much talent there as you can carry. When it is available you move to take advantage in the draft and we have assets to move to get at least a 2nd round pick. They got Hardy when we had no pick so I am sure another deal can be made easily enough.
[-] The following 4 users Like myconsumerclub's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, HoosierDaddyKid, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(09-03-2023, 06:01 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Obviously Lively will come along slowly just like they brought Hardy along slowly. What if they are forced into getting him going faster?

That could be a priority especially if Holmes sucks early on and then they try to play Powell and Kleber and they both fail against bigger guys and thus the defense suffers greatly and now they are forced to give Lively a try with more minutes and he starts to slowly show he is the one they wanted all along and so he learns the game on the run and out of necessity he invents his game to produce the results he has to produce just so we can struggle to find a way to win games and not let other teams enjoy easy access to the rim anytime they want it.

I Just hope he does no foul out to fast every game and as for a draft pick next season we will probably notice that there is nobody behind Lively at the 5 who is worth a flying flip and so they will see the need to add another center who is at least good for being the back up who can take minutes in starts and be someone that would not be total garbage if he should be forced to start when DL has an injury or 2 to nurse.

Who else is insurance behind Lively? Holmes? Kleber? Powell? They are jokes at center and never ever need to be used at the 5 they are PF's not 5's they suck when used as a 5 plain and simple they are out of position and leave the rim unprotected from the top 5's we will have to face in the league if we wish to progress in the play offs.

The league is about to get  into a cycle where the center position is way more important. Jokic Embiid and soon  a guy will gt to see a lot of down in SANTONIO young Wemby is going to  need to be taken on with something better than a 6'8" Holmes. Rings have lately gone to teams with top centers they are going to be the pathway to winning more and unless we find a good center the odds are against us winning any rings with what we have.

The 5 is the 2nd most important position to have talent at behind PG and that has always been the case. You get as much talent there as you can carry. When it is available you move to take advantage in the draft and we have assets to move to get at least a 2nd round pick. They got Hardy when we had no pick so I am sure another deal can be made easily enough.

I hear you, but regardless of what happens, they'll not rely on Lively this year.  Lively's longterm development is more important that his getting out of a pinch.
Like Reply
(09-03-2023, 06:01 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Obviously Lively will come along slowly just like they brought Hardy along slowly. What if they are forced into getting him going faster?

"Forced"? You are never forced - nor is there ever real value -- in playing a player who is not able to play at a level that is useful, where he will be overwhelmed, unless your team is wasting a year. And the Mavs are not.

If they literally have no other players available at C -- ie, all of Powell, Holmes, and Maxi are not in uniform -- then of course he will probably play added minutes. But the odds of an injury wave like that is really small. They have many experienced players at C to use.

Although, in that unlikely circumstance, even then he might not start. Don't freak out if/when they go small and players like DJJ, GW, and maybe even OMax get mins at C instead of Lively. I think he will have to earn his minutes by what he shows in camp/practice, and as he gets a few minutes here and there, in order to get more. They aren't slowing down this team (and its chances) to cater to him imo, because they want to be winning now.

And BTW, imo they brought Hardy fast. Maybe too fast, I thought, but the tanking probably helped (I think it was part of the equation long before game 80). The kid played over 700 (a very high number for a low pick), and he had issues. He was good at hoisting a lot of shots every time, of course, but his defense was horrendous (almost non-existent), and his concept of team (on either end) was not good.
Like Reply
Any thoughts about the J.Green situation?  IMO, it could become Brunson all over again.

1.  How much do you think he'll command?  

2.  Will that fit into our long term financial plans?  

3.  If not, who would you target as a trade for him?
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3833...-year-deal
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-05-2023, 11:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3833...-year-deal

2 years at the minimum. I’d heard he was hoping the Lillard trade would free up a better offer from Miami, so I guess LA had to give him the 2nd year player option to get him off the fence. 

Interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 12:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: 2 years at the minimum. I’d heard he was hoping the Lillard trade would free up a better offer from Miami, so I guess LA had to give him the 2nd year player option to get him off the fence. 

Interesting.

I wish he had gone to Miami.  I think he will do well with the Lakers and his next contract will be for significantly more than the minimum (I'm assuming the second year is a player option).  Darvin Ham is a good coach and I think Christian Wood will also listen to Lebron and stay within his role there.  

The Lakers just increased the overall talent of their roster and that's annoying.  I'm tired of talented players taking the minimum to play for the Lakers (see Malik Monk, Dennis Schroeder and now Christian Wood).  

Hopefully, Lebron begins to show his age and they decline because of that.  Unfortunately, I think they're a top-4 team in the West and a solid contender if Lebron and Davis stay reasonably healthy.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • Dahlsim, HoosierDaddyKid, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
And you know he's got Dallas circled on the schedule. Lakers are kinda loaded. He may get the last laugh after the Kidd disrespect. And the fact that Dallas gave up a 1st for him only to let him walk with no compensation really is crazy to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Dahlsim, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 02:49 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I wish he had gone to Miami.  I think he will do well with the Lakers and his next contract will be for significantly more than the minimum (I'm assuming the second year is a player option).  Darvin Ham is a good coach and I think Christian Wood will also listen to Lebron and stay within his role there.  

The Lakers just increased the overall talent of their roster and that's annoying.  I'm tired of talented players taking the minimum to play for the Lakers (see Malik Monk, Dennis Schroeder and now Christian Wood).  

Hopefully, Lebron begins to show his age and they decline because of that.  Unfortunately, I think they're a top-4 team in the West and a solid contender if Lebron and Davis stay reasonably healthy.

Yup.  Strategically, I would have resigned Wood to some more than min number just to keep him off the Lakers.  

Now LA has that talented big behind their oft injured star AD.
[-] The following 3 users Like Dahlsim's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 05:54 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Yup.  Strategically, I would have resigned Wood to some more than min number just to keep him off the Lakers.  

Now LA has that talented big behind their oft injured star AD.

I think its clear this FO had the same opinion of Wood as they did of McGee.  They wanted them off the team at all costs.  Maybe his Dallas experience humbled him and playing with a legend will bring him in line, but history says its unlikely.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Dahlsim, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(09-04-2023, 02:50 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Any thoughts about the J.Green situation?  IMO, it could become Brunson all over again.

No, as Josh will be an RFA, not UFA like Brunson.
Like Reply
Is today the day we can trade Holmes?
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 09:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Is today the day we can trade Holmes?

The restriction expired Sept 4th I believe.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply

The league is about to get  into a cycle where the center position is way more important. Jokic Embiid and soon  a guy will gt to see a lot of down in SANTONIO young Wemby is going to  need to be taken on with something better than a 6'8" Holmes. Rings have lately gone to teams with top centers they are going to be the pathway to winning more and unless we find a good center the odds are against us winning any rings with what we have.

Some of those jokes you referred to were our center rotation for the WCF run.

Have rings lately gone to teams with top centers?  Of the last 9 champs, only Denver and LA have top centers.

What we are seeing is that traditional centers get played off the floor in the playoffs unless they are elite.  There are only a couple of guys like that.  If you don't have one of those guys, then the next best thing is a guy that can play traditional center defensively yet mobile enough to not get run off the court.  There are only a couple of those guys (Bam, Allen, Claxton, maybe a few others).  There is hope that Lively becomes one of those guys.  After that, I think the NBA has learned to not spend a ton of assets on guys that can too easily get played off the court.  In the playoffs, you are probably better off running Maxi out there than a guy that can't guard the P&R or the perimeter.

In any case, this team is not going to be a contender this season.  There will be no need to "force" Lively out there.  We have way more frontcourt depth than we did during the WCF run.  If Holmes has nothing, Lively is progressing slowly and we look really good otherwise, we can always make a move at the deadline.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 08:27 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think its clear this FO had the same opinion of Wood as they did of McGee.  They wanted them off the team at all costs.  Maybe his Dallas experience humbled him and playing with a legend will bring him in line, but history says its unlikely.

I agree.  Its impossible for me or the public to really know just how difficult Christian Wood was to coach and fit into a team given how many teams he's been ejected from despite his talent. 

Javale McGee left the Mavs the first time as guy that looked talented on one hand but didn't fit in Dallas system under Rick Carlisle. 
He left Dallas and went on to contribute meaningfully to 3 NBA championships, so its hard to put him in same category as Wood, even if this Dallas coaching couldn't make a fit for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dahlsim's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, mvossman
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 07:24 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: I agree.  Its impossible for me or the public to really know just how difficult Christian Wood was to coach and fit into a team given how many teams he's been ejected from despite his talent. 

Javale McGee left the Mavs the first time as guy that looked talented on one hand but didn't fit in Dallas system under Rick Carlisle. 
He left Dallas and went on to contribute meaningfully to 3 NBA championships, so its hard to put him in same category as Wood, even if this Dallas coaching couldn't make a fit for him.

Yeah, I think the Mcgee issue is different from the Wood issue.  I only have body language to go off of, but it seemed to me like there were multiple times when McGee did stupid stuff on the court that Luka glanced at the coaches with a WTF look.  I wonder if the urgency to dump him was about Luka having issues with him.  It didn't help that he wildly underperformed as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I think Luka really hates low (basketball) IQ moves and McGee is sort of special in that area. He can do a lot of things right, but he is also making extremely stupid mistakes on a pretty regular basis. I am not sure though, that Luka would demand any of his teammates to be gone. At least not if there would also be other off the court stuff.
Like Reply
Wood will definitely get his revenge!
Like Reply
(09-06-2023, 08:58 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Wood will definitely get his revenge!

Just like Montezuma.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1...2472934644

Wood throws shade at Dallas.
Like Reply