Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
(07-14-2023, 10:26 PM)loki Wrote: Is it too much to ask for Luka's agent to start dropping little hints around the league that he intends to request a trade next offseason? Would do wonders for the value of the 27 pick.

Is that really what we want
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3801...oklyn-nets

Bazley signs with the Nets
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 12:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is that really what we want

we don't want that
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 12:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is that really what we want

Better get used to it. SAS already started it. I assume that means it´s on the ESPN script for next season, so you´ll hear it all year long, whether it´s true or not.
Like Reply
Looking at our needs, most would agree that center is probably our greatest remaining need.  I think we also need a third point guard at least for the games when Kyrie or Luka will be out.  

I suggest the following trade:  Mavericks send Richaun Holmes, Javale McGee and a 2027 top-10 protected first to the Wizards in exchange for Daniel Gafford and Delon Wright.  If the pick falls in the top 10, we would have to convert it to our only remaining tradeable draft pick-  the Miami 2028 2nd rounder.

Gafford would likely become our starter and would upgrade our rim protection and rebounding.  Powell is obviously the better offensive player and they would serve as a decent platoon until Lively is ready.

Delon Wright didn't work out for the Mavs last time under Rick Carlisle but I think he's an elite role player.  The advanced stats really like him, especially RAPTOR.  He is an elite defender who can guard 1-3.  He can play some point when needed.  He's not a great shooter but 34.5% isn't bad and that was while playing on a bad Wizards team.    I think he would likely work his way into our rotation even when everyone is healthy because he would be one of our two best defenders (along with Josh Green).  

For the Wizards, this accomplishes their primary goals of becoming even worse on the court while acquiring an asset for the future.  

The trades could be made immediately as two separate transactions:

Holmes for Gafford.  

McGee for Wright.  

If it doesn't work out and the Mavericks collapse and Luka is traded, we would still maintain the option to tank for the 2027 draft and reaccumulate talent that way.

I think this would solve a lot of problems.  What do you think?
Like Reply
Rather hold onto that pick until the trade deadline and combine it with Hardy and some expiring salaries to get a true difference maker.

No way I'm trading 27 for Capela, PJ Washington, Daniel Gafford, etc and I hate our center rotation.
[-] The following 5 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • juanc, KillerLeft, MFFL, StepBackJay, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 12:01 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Rather hold onto that pick until the trade deadline and combine it with Hardy and some expiring salaries to get a true difference maker. 

No way I'm trading 27 for Capela, PJ Washington, Daniel Gafford, etc and I hate our center rotation.

Bless you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
I would give up 27 just to not have to watch DW on this team again. If we’re gonna recycle somebody, let it be Doe-Doe please.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 12:01 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Rather hold onto that pick until the trade deadline and combine it with Hardy and some expiring salaries to get a true difference maker. 

What players do you consider true difference makers?
Like Reply
Mavs are pretty busy with their trade market communication this offseason. My impression is actually that they are one of if not the most active team in this regard so far. Or ist this just me?

So since last week or so after the Blazers matched Thybulle, Nico & Co. spread the following intel:
- considered Malik Beasley in SnT
- expected to trade THJ and either trade or release McGee
- revisiting Bojan Bogdanovic trade talks
- expressed interest in Kelly Oubre Jr. and Derrick Jones Jr.

Even of course only final results matter, I think this approach creates more chances and will be more successful. I like it.
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 02:00 PM)WillE Wrote: Mavs are pretty busy with their trade market communication this offseason. My impression is actually that they are one of if not the most active team in this regard  so far. Or ist this just me?

So since last week or so after the Blazers matched Thybulle, Nico & Co. spread the following intel:
- considered Malik Beasley in SnT
- expected to trade THJ and either trade or release McGee
- revisiting Bojan Bogdanovic trade talks
- expressed interest in Kelly Oubre Jr. and Derrick Jones Jr.

Even of course only final results matter, I think this approach creates more chances and will be more successful. I like it.

Not sure if they’re more active than normal or if it’s just that we’re hearing about more of it than normal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 02:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure if they’re more active than normal or if it’s just that we’re hearing about more of it than normal.
Well I have not looked into any numbers, but at least it feels more active to me. And this feels good  Smile

If someone could pull any numbers about this, it would be really interesting!
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 01:40 PM)omahen Wrote: What players do you consider true difference makers?

Hard to say.

I'd consider trading the 27 1st for a younger center like Jarrett Allen.

I'd consider combining Hardy and the 27 1st for a guy like OG Anunoby.

I'd like to keep the 27 1st if next offseason we can offer Hardy, Lively, and multiple picks for Joel Embiid.
Like Reply
Next summer:

1. Expirings
16.2 - THJ
12.9 - Holmes
6 -Mcgee
=35.1

2. Good young player
Hardy in his last year

3. Draft compensation
2025, 2027 and 2031 FRP’s all available

I think we want to preserve the ability to make an offer like this for a player the caliber of Siakam SnT or Brandon Ingram or Paul George. Someone on that type of level that makes sense.
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 04:25 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Next summer:

1. Expirings
16.2 - THJ
12.9 - Holmes
6 -Mcgee
=35.1

Seth and Exum are NG, so both "expirings" as well.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 03:34 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Hard to say.

I'd consider trading the 27 1st for a younger center like Jarrett Allen.

I'd consider combining Hardy and the 27 1st for a guy like OG Anunoby.

I'd like to keep the 27 1st if next offseason we can offer Hardy, Lively, and multiple picks for Joel Embiid.

Anunoby is always injured and bitching about touches in Toronto already. That´s a bad idea.

I hope we win the staredown with the Hornets instead. Looked up what the Cavs paid for Markkanen. It was a lottery protected 1st from Portland (Bulls are still waiting for that to convert and doesn´t look like that will happen any time soon LOL)  and a 2nd. 

If we can flip THJ + McGee for Washington + Oubre + Mykhailiuk for that, you do it. I know complicated to do with our stupid pick situation, but that seems fair value to me.
Like Reply
^ I don’t think you and I like remotely the same kind of players. It’s not fantasy basketball where you load up on box score production. We could just resign Christian Wood if that was the goal. And no reason to trade THJ. He can fill it up.

I’d like someone that slots a tier above Josh Green and Grant Williams as a defender while being capable offensively.
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 04:52 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: ^ I don’t think you and I like remotely the same kind of players.

I’d like someone that slots a tier above Josh Green and Grant Williams as a defender.

I would not like to be locked into PJ Washington and Kelly Oubre long term.

Apparently not. I don´t see the point to pay an unprotected 1st and Hardy for a 26 year old 17/5 player just because he has an awesome PR manager. 

Ujiri is a master asset seller. 

GTJ 3rd leading scorer. FVV HOT SHIT. Siakam HOTTEST SHIT. Anunoby three 1st Round picks.  Barnes FRANCHISE PLAYER. Raptors HOT GARBAGE 1st round play-in exit. 

Something doesn´t add up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 11:59 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Looking at our needs, most would agree that center is probably our greatest remaining need.  I think we also need a third point guard at least for the games when Kyrie or Luka will be out.  

I suggest the following trade:  Mavericks send Richaun Holmes, Javale McGee and a 2027 top-10 protected first to the Wizards in exchange for Daniel Gafford and Delon Wright.  If the pick falls in the top 10, we would have to convert it to our only remaining tradeable draft pick-  the Miami 2028 2nd rounder.

Gafford would likely become our starter and would upgrade our rim protection and rebounding.  Powell is obviously the better offensive player and they would serve as a decent platoon until Lively is ready.

Delon Wright didn't work out for the Mavs last time under Rick Carlisle but I think he's an elite role player.  The advanced stats really like him, especially RAPTOR.  He is an elite defender who can guard 1-3.  He can play some point when needed.  He's not a great shooter but 34.5% isn't bad and that was while playing on a bad Wizards team.    I think he would likely work his way into our rotation even when everyone is healthy because he would be one of our two best defenders (along with Josh Green).  

For the Wizards, this accomplishes their primary goals of becoming even worse on the court while acquiring an asset for the future.  

The trades could be made immediately as two separate transactions:

Holmes for Gafford.  

McGee for Wright.  

If it doesn't work out and the Mavericks collapse and Luka is traded, we would still maintain the option to tank for the 2027 draft and reaccumulate talent that way.

I think this would solve a lot of problems.  What do you think?

I like Gafford but don't want Wright at all. And definitely would not trade (or encumber) 2027 1st for something like this.

Take out Wright and get me Kispert. Take out the 1st and use a 2nd. Then I want to talk.
Like Reply
(07-15-2023, 05:02 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Apparently not. I don´t see the point to pay an unprotected 1st and Hardy for a 26 year old 17/5 player just because he has an awesome PR manager. 

And this is why I don’t think you understand the game of basketball and roster construction. It’s not fantasy basketball. Like the nephews on Reddit, you measure a players impact by their triple slash lines. I have no idea how many points, rebounds, and assists OG Anunoby averaged last year because it’s not important to me to evaluate what he brings to a team.

You must think Westbrook is one of the GOATs and Christian Wood is a borderline AllStar. Never mind the continued obsession with Mo Bamba or a host of random other spares like Kelly Oubre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply