Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-14-2023, 10:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Interesting. I have it difficult to see Mavs starting something like Irving-Luka-GW-PJ-Center. PJ as full time small center also doesn't make a lot of sense, imagine playing that line-up against Denver giants. Moving GW (or PJ) to bench would be most logical conclusion, but we risk that the one relegated to bench is not happy with this. 

On top of that, I seriously doubt Charlotte has much interest in THJ, as long as they are overpaying Rozier on the position. I don't see the two SRP moving the needle and I certainly don't want to include 2027 with all the doubts stated in first paragraph. Charlotte would be probably more interested if we would take Rozier, but Mavs don't have matching contracts for Rozier and PJ.

This SnT would be more possible if Mavs would have the whole Bertans TE. But that train is gone.

THJ is also redundant with Brandon Miller on the roster.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 09:13 AM)Smitty Wrote: “Dallas’ front office does not view its offseason as complete, and at least one move — JaVale McGee being traded or stretch-waived, as first reported by ESPN — is certain to happen before training camp begins. While Dallas could still trade for a big man, the team is content to enter next season with the centers currently on the roster.

If that’s the case, Dwight Powell would be the favorite to retake his starting spot. But multiple team employees have expressed optimism in a rejuvenated Richaun Holmes after the 29-year-old center fell out of the Sacramento Kings’ rotation last season. As Nico Harrison said on Wednesday’s summer league broadcast, “(Holmes) told me he was in jail the last couple years.” The thinking, those sources say, is that Holmes only lost his rotation spot after Sacramento’s offense was reimagined around Domantas Sabonis and will fit better into Dallas’ guard-based schemes.”

This is basically where I thought they were a week ago. 

If another move doesn’t come (getting less likely daily), I would imagine Powell is the day 1 starter. I do have more hope in Holmes making a contribution than I ever did with McGee, and it’s possible he could end up starting, but Powell and Kleber are going to be the best 5’s on the roster this season. Again.

It’s pretty clear that they didn’t accomplish what they hoped with the center position, but I’m a believer in Lively’s potential and they added Williams and O-max, both of whom will be fan favorites, and both of whom are animals of a type that just wasn’t here last season. They are much better situated defensively, that’s for sure. I’m also really happy to see Bullock go, and relieved that the Thybulle thing didn’t work out. 

Off-season (if over today) gets an A- from me, and that becomes an A+ if they get a rotation contribution from Holmes.

(07-14-2023, 08:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe they stalled because the Pistons woke up?  LOL

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...56928?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Maybe they stalled because the MAVS woke up. Bojan is old, no longer fits with this team (bet this discussion was before the Williams domino, and would’ve resulted in him not coming here) and Hayes is not a good NBA player.

That trade is gross. So happy it didn’t happen.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, ItsGoTime, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I think it’s pretty clear that one of the main motivating factors in any THJ talks, from the Mavs’ POV, is to rid themselves of McGee’s contract.

Think it is and probably always was a long shot to expect something we like MORE than THJ in return from a deal set with those parameters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 09:45 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: When THJ was in the group photos at summer league, I was resigned to the reality they couldn't flip him for a center.

Gonna be interesting if he or Josh Green starts.  THJ and Hardy playing together doesn’t seem like an ideal fit.

If he plays defense like he did last year, I don't hate starting Timmy.  Green seemed more effective off the bench.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Interesting. I have it difficult to see Mavs starting something like Irving-Luka-GW-PJ-Center. PJ as full time small center also doesn't make a lot of sense, imagine playing that line-up against Denver giants. Moving GW (or PJ) to bench would be most logical conclusion, but we risk that the one relegated to bench is not happy with this. 

Personally, I could easily see Dallas starting that lineup. Both GW and PJ are big, crazy switchable, and capable of defending 1-5. Include OMax in that rotation, and that's 3 athletic wings between 6'6" and 6'8" all 24 or younger. There would be no breaks for opposing offenses.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it’s pretty clear that one of the main motivating factors in any THJ talks, from the Mavs’ POV, is to rid themselves of McGee’s contract.

Think it is and probably always was a long shot to expect something we like MORE than THJ in return from a deal set with those parameters.
I agree. Those are the parameters. They could be removed though for the right deal. A sort of negotiation ploy. Say the offer is THJ, Mcgee and the 2nds and they refuse. Take out Mcgee and a 2nd and get the deal done. 

I’m no cap expert, but we could simply waive Mcgee. Open the roster spot. If we knew there’s interest at the minimum, then he could sign with another team and we recoup the minimum amount from his dead money. I guess we would for both years? Get like $2.8MM back? 

We could also just not play him and treat it as dead weight until next summer when the expiring PO could be of positive value in trade matching

The main thing i want to avoid is the stretch waive. I think we need to eat this now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:57 AM)Tyler Wrote: Personally, I could easily see Dallas starting that lineup. Both GW and PJ are big, crazy switchable, and capable of defending 1-5. Include OMax in that rotation, and that's 3 athletic wings between 6'6" and 6'8" all 24 or younger. There would be no breaks for opposing offenses.

Issue is rebounding. Mavs would get absolutely demolished on the boards. PJ/GW/Luka are all great secondary rebounders, but out of those guys who is boxing out the Jokic/Bam/AD/etc. of the league?

Heck even a step below with Capela/Ayton/JV/Adams/Robinson.

I'd still get PJ, but he wouldn't be the 5. Sure he'd play spot minutes there, as well at some time at the 4, but my ideal lineup would be:

Luka
Kyrie
PJ
G-Will
Rebounding Center

Then when crunch time comes you have the small ball lineup if needed.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:57 AM)Tyler Wrote: Personally, I could easily see Dallas starting that lineup. Both GW and PJ are big, crazy switchable, and capable of defending 1-5. Include OMax in that rotation, and that's 3 athletic wings between 6'6" and 6'8" all 24 or younger. There would be no breaks for opposing offenses.
How many guys in the league are 1-5 defenders? Can’t be too many

I say that after watching Grant Williams highlights where he constantly takes on the ball handler. He’s definitely on the list of 1-5 guys. Maxi is there. And i already believe in Omax being one. 

I’m definitely down for PJ as the starting 5. Him and Lively and Maxi would be a lethal combo for years. Add in G Will and O Max and we’re set. Very modern style of players
[-] The following 4 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:55 AM)mvossman Wrote: If he plays defense like he did last year, I don't hate starting Timmy.  Green seemed more effective off the bench.

This requires an overly optimistic view of Kyrie’s defense. JG is your starting guard next to KI.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Issue is rebounding. Mavs would get absolutely demolished on the boards. PJ/GW/Luka are all great secondary rebounders, but out of those guys who is boxing out the Jokic/Bam/AD/etc. of the league?

Heck even a step below with Capela/Ayton/JV/Adams/Robinson.

I'd still get PJ, but he wouldn't be the 5. Sure he'd play spot minutes there, as well at some time at the 4, but my ideal lineup would be:

Luka
Kyrie
PJ
G-Will
Rebounding Center

Then when crunch time comes you have the small ball lineup if needed.
Kyrie 
Luka 
OMax
GWill
PJ

That’s a massive lineup. I don’t think they would have a problem with rebounding. Maxi and Green  both can team rebound
Like Reply
After seeing that GWill can guard 1-5, I really would love to see PJ here. GWill being the POA defender probably isn’t ideal, but I think the overall team defense would be so much more improved it wouldn’t matter as much. Now, that contract, is $16M on the table if no team has approached that number? $15M? I’d include all 3 SRPs for that, maybe add a pick swap in 25 (worded so it’s legal). Maybe get SA or OKC involved as a money release valve?
Like Reply
If the Pistons did trade for McGee, I think we could all agree the Pistons have an unhealthy fetish on centers. What a weird roster.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:31 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: After seeing that GWill can guard 1-5, I really would love to see PJ here. GWill being the POA defender probably isn’t ideal, but I think the overall team defense would be so much more improved it wouldn’t matter as much. Now, that contract, is $16M on the table if no team has approached that number? $15M? I’d include all 3 SRPs for that, maybe add a pick swap in 25 (worded so it’s legal). Maybe get SA or OKC involved as a money release valve?

I agree with your premise, and would still have some interest in PJW.

But, I think $18M is the lowest you can go and still get him. I think the closer that contract inches towards the MLE, the more likely Charlotte is to just pay him and keep him. Might even take $20M to get it done.

Would that change your opinion?
Like Reply
Ok yeah I've kind of convinced myself PJ should be the final big move, with a smaller one where the Mavs trade for a rebounder (drummond?) to finish the offseason.

Getting PJ seriously opens up this team. The closing lineup of Luka/Kyrie/PJ/G-Will/Kleber is basically the Mavs version of the Warriors Death Lineup. 3-5 are all switchable and can guard 1-5. All of them can shoot 3s. The versatility is incredible to close out the 4th.

Getting there is the issue. We still absolutely need a guy that can boxout and rebound for the first 3 1/2 quarters. I have very little faith in Holmes and Lively being that consistently. And Powell? Yeah lol.

Either way, THJ+McGee+2 2nds for PJ should be fair. If not then just THJ+2nds and we waive McGee.

(07-14-2023, 11:15 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Kyrie 
Luka 
OMax
GWill
PJ

That’s a massive lineup. I don’t think they would have a problem with rebounding. Maxi and Green  both can team rebound

[Image: 200.gif]

DROOLING.  The versatility with Omax was also something I didn't consider. So much defensive potential.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:40 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with your premise, and would still have some interest in PJW.

But, I think $18M is the lowest you can go and still get him. I think the closer that contract inches towards the MLE, the more likely Charlotte is to just pay him and keep him. Might even take $20M to get it done.

Would that change your opinion?
Absolutely. No interest in WAY overpaying him. I think with the contract GWill got, $16M is even high, but because the rest of the payroll is set up well, the gamble is solid.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:48 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Absolutely. No interest in WAY overpaying him. I think with the contract GWill got, $16M is even high, but because the rest of the payroll is set up well, the gamble is solid.

Starting number of 15M. Gets you at ~4/65. Roughly 16M AAV. I think that’s about right for him.

16,270,721 AAV
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:48 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Absolutely. No interest in WAY overpaying him. I think with the contract GWill got, $16M is even high, but because the rest of the payroll is set up well, the gamble is solid.

Well, no idea what he’ll get (maybe just the QO), but it seems clear that his availability starts and ends with his opinion that he’s a $20M per guy and the reluctance of Charlotte to offer that. 

There’s obviously a reality element where he’ll have to compromise a little, but we don’t really know where Charlotte’s comfort value is. I do remember reading somewhere that they offered $15M per already.

So, it’s speculation, but if you’re only interested at $16M per, I don’t believe he’s actually available. I think if/when he wraps his head around that deal he gets it from CHA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:51 AM)Smitty Wrote: Starting number of 15M. Gets you at ~4/65. Roughly 16M AAV. I think that’s about right for him.
Give him a 3+1 PO so if he does as well as he thinks he will we can pay him earlier.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:51 AM)Smitty Wrote: Starting number of 15M. Gets you at ~4/65. Roughly 16M AAV. I think that’s about right for him.

16,270,721 AAV

Not to belabor, but just to make clear: this is basically what Charlotte wants to pay him. He wants WAY more, witch is 100% of the reason he has not re-signed yet.

This is not a situation where the player or team want to improve on one another. This is ALL about them not seeing eye to eye on the contract. The second he agrees to that price point he’s locked up as a Hornet.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, no idea what he’ll get (maybe just the QO), but it seems clear that his availability starts and ends with his opinion that he’s a $20M per guy and the reluctance of Charlotte to offer that. 

There’s obviously a reality element where he’ll have to compromise a little, but we don’t really know where Charlotte’s comfort value is. I do remember reading somewhere that they offered $15M per already.

So, it’s speculation, but if you’re only interested at $16M per, I don’t believe he’s actually available. I think if/when he wraps his head around that deal he gets it from CHA.
Ah, I hadn’t paid attention enough to know he was offered that much. I wrote him off as ungettable a while ago thinking Cha would resign him eventually. Very little interest in that case. Too much risk that he is not the guy we’re thinking he is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply