Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
https://twitter.com/Dc3daM/status/167933...14561?s=20

The random Hawks "insider' who said the Siakam deal would happen at 4:00pm Monday now has a new prediction and it's Capela going straight to Toronto and Masai deals him to Dallas in his own time.

While that's not unheard of after what happened with Dragic, and it'd be just like Masai to try and wrangle an inflated Capela price from what he assumes is a desperate Dallas, what in the world is that sort of logic? Does Masai (or this "insider") truly think Capela's agent will be okay with his guy playing backup to Poeltl? Is TOR going to go above the 2nd apron just so they can try and swindle supposedly one of Dallas' young guys?

How many teams need to blackball Masai before he gets fired?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

For Mavs2021  Tongue
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I really wish we had roster space for Bol but you'd probably need to rid yourself of McGee and one other big.
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 09:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Dc3daM/status/167933...14561?s=20

The random Hawks "insider' who said the Siakam deal would happen at 4:00pm Monday now has a new prediction and it's Capela going straight to Toronto and Masai deals him to Dallas in his own time.

While that's not unheard of after what happened with Dragic, and it'd be just like Masai to try and wrangle an inflated Capela price from what he assumes is a desperate Dallas, what in the world is that sort of logic? Does Masai (or this "insider") truly think Capela's agent will be okay with his guy playing backup to Poeltl? Is TOR going to go above the 2nd apron just so they can try and swindle supposedly one of Dallas' young guys?

Are we sure the trade target would be Capela if we are waiting to make the deal later?  The Holmes/Poeltl math is pretty convenient.
Like Reply
I think both ideas are pretty unrealistic. If Toronto traded for Capela, they would just tank his value, since he wouldn't be able to play a lot. Every team would know that Toronto has no use of Capela and even I would negotiate from position of strength here.

Toronto traded for Poeltl and just gave him a contract. I see no way they are even thinking about trading him, unless Mavs are offering Luka.
Like Reply
The Kings are acquiring Chris Duarte for two second-round picks. Pacers will receive a 2028 second (via Dallas) and the Kings' 2030 second-round pick.

It would have been nice if Nico & Co had made this trade instead of the Kings. Duarte seems worth a punt at that price, just two 2nd rounders. I think this lineup would work nicely when Kyrie sits... Luka, Green, Duarte, Kleber, Holmes/Lively.
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 09:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Dc3daM/status/167933...14561?s=20

Ugh. Yeah, that would be Dragic all over again.
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:25 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: The Kings are acquiring Chris Duarte for two second-round picks. Pacers will receive a 2028 second (via Dallas) and the Kings' 2030 second-round pick.

It would have been nice if Nico & Co had made this trade instead of the Kings. Duarte seems worth a punt at that price, just two 2nd rounders. I think this lineup would work nicely when Kyrie sits... Luka, Green, Duarte, Kleber, Holmes/Lively.

If this game was musical chairs, the Mavs would always be left standing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:49 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If this game was musical chairs, the Mavs would always be left standing.

I feel less like that after we landed one of our top targets in Williams.
[-] The following 5 users Like mvossman's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:49 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If this game was musical chairs, the Mavs would always be left standing.

The only reason Sacramento could take Duarte for just picks was that they struck out in free agency and had room to spare. And that was after they gave away OMax and Holmes to Dallas for nothing to clear cap space. This is a weird example to choose as an excuse to dunk on Dallas.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Are we sure the trade target would be Capela if we are waiting to make the deal later?  The Holmes/Poeltl math is pretty convenient.

I am good with the idea of getting a starting center for 2 years while Lively is learning the ropes as long as the cost is salary filler and a couple of seconds.  Anything more than that and we are putting way too many assets into the center position.  Poeltl is under contract for 4 more years (at 20 mil) and would definitely cost the first.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: I am good with the idea of getting a starting center for 2 years while Lively is learning the ropes as long as the cost is salary filler and a couple of seconds.  Anything more than that and we are putting way too many assets into the center position.  Poeltl is under contract for 4 more years (at 20 mil) and would definitely cost the first.

Hard to assume that Lively will be ready in 2 years. He's talented and the chance is there, but I doubt that he can be a championship caliber center in 2 years.

Poeltl is closer to that and he's worth a first. If Lively does somehow turn into that, then great, we can either flip Poeltl for someone or Lively for even more.
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CupTMKSsf...Q0ZQ%3D%3D

Sheesh this guy goes hard at Kevin Durant.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 01:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Hard to assume that Lively will be ready in 2 years. He's talented and the chance is there, but I doubt that he can be a championship caliber center in 2 years.

Poeltl is closer to that and he's worth a first. If Lively does somehow turn into that, then great, we can either flip Poeltl for someone or Lively for even more.

Its not about assuming, but I think its reasonable to plan on Lively starting in his 3rd year (if not sooner).  That might not be the case and you adjust when you realize it.  But with so few assets it seems a misuse to use your two biggest (lottery pick and unprotected 27) for two guys who play the same position and can't be on the court together.  I seriously doubt this is something we have to worry about anyways.
Like Reply
Not a Poetl fan. Would rather have Holes and Powell compete for the spot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 01:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: Its not about assuming, but I think its reasonable to plan on Lively starting in his 3rd year (if not sooner).  That might not be the case and you adjust when you realize it.  But with so few assets it seems a misuse to use your two biggest (lottery pick and unprotected 27) for two guys who play the same position and can't be on the court together.  I seriously doubt this is something we have to worry about anyways.

Agreed on doubting about this situation. But just to keep the conversation going, I think where you and I differ is the likelihood that Lively will develop linearly and be ready by year 3. After watching him in summer league, I see a very raw guy. One that needs some time, maybe 4 years time. 

But then again this is all conjecture. Maybe all Lively needs is a good PG to set him up and he'll look a lot better. Maybe he gets the hang of NBA defenses and learns the tricks of the trade so he doesn't foul out. 

Although if I have Luka + Kyrie, and I'm trying to win this year, I'd rather not go into a season full of maybes
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I really don’t like the idea of dealing with Masai straight up for Capela. We’ve seen that movie before.
Like Reply
That’s his entire first contract. I disagree with you, but if you’re right about that then it was a horrible, horrible pick, especially for a team in Dallas’ situation.

Since they clearly didn’t spend a lottery pick (instead of trading it) on a player they didn’t think could contribute in a major way for four years (!!) I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest they aren’t seeing things your way. You might be right, and they might be wrong, but that’s flatly not how they’re looking at it right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:04 PM)omahen Wrote: I think both ideas are pretty unrealistic. If Toronto traded for Capela, they would just tank his value, since he wouldn't be able to play a lot. Every team would know that Toronto has no use of Capela and even I would negotiate from position of strength here.

Toronto traded for Poeltl and just gave him a contract. I see no way they are even thinking about trading him, unless Mavs are offering Luka.

lt is all negotiable.  We might not like the price it would take to turn Holmes into Poeltl, but it can definitely be done.  Poeltl/Lively/Powell would be a little bit of everything (especially if Maxi is still closing for a while longer)

Speaking of that topic, I’ve been thinking a bit about lineups and I’ve come to the conclusion that the closing lineup is going to be Maxi/GWill/Josh/Kyrie/Luka.  Picks for Luka can come from anywhere (in fact I like Williams’ potential to set picks with Maxi camped in the corner), They all shoot well from outside.  Everyone can pass well on the short roll and until Lively/OMax are ready, this is as much D as you can put on the floor at any given time.  I suspect we’ll return to being a good clutch team.

That accounts for 10-12 of Maxi’s minutes (closing halves).  I suspect he’ll get his other 10-12 minutes supporting Lively when Lively is int he game.  My guess is Holmes lands the starting center spot.  We need to see what we have with him and rehab his reputation and value.  Powell is a Swiss Army Knife and will always be ready when called upon.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That’s his entire first contract. I disagree with you, but if you’re right about that then it was a horrible, horrible pick, especially for a team in Dallas’ situation.

Since they clearly didn’t spend a lottery pick (instead of trading it) on a player they didn’t think could contribute in a major way for four years (!!) I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest they aren’t seeing things your way. You might be right, and they might be wrong, but that’s flatly not how they’re looking at it right now.

I'm glad you see how I feel about the pick. I made my feelings very well known about Lively. I am 100% sure the Mavs feel the opposite right now, and I could very well be wrong, but what I saw in Summer League hasn't exactly changed my mind.

The potential is definitely there. The idea of Lively is exactly what the Mavs need. I also tried to walk back my doom and gloom outlook to give the guy a fair chance against real NBA players. That hasn't changed. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, but I think Lively is a big project.

And I don't think he's good enough to forego getting a starting center that can play 30mpg because it could stunt his development. 

Like I said, I'm going to give it time and see how he looks with a maestro in the PnR. Maybe that's all he needs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply