Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-12-2023, 01:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I guess the better way of looking at it was the team already had 17 million of dead money on the roster in Bertans. 

So the Mavs found a way to shed 5 mil of that and got a FRP in the process.

If we put it all together and then break it down in like pieces, it's either a good deal, or a great one.

With the picks, it's a really good trade return. They traded down from 10 to 12, and picked up 24 for doing so, while still getting the same player they would have picked at 10.

With the players, it's either a wash or a good value. Bertans was making 17M this season for Holmes making 12M, but overall about the same money owed. But the big win comes if Holmes can either be worth playing, or can be a piece useful in a trade, because DB had no real value on either front. The best outcome (and it remains to be seen if this might happen) would be that Holmes can actually be a contributor in the lineup, because DB had no real role and provided nothing.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 01:39 PM)F Gump Wrote: If we put it all together and then break it down in like pieces, it's either a good deal, or a great one.

With the picks, it's a really good trade return. They traded down from 10 to 12, and picked up 24 for doing so, while still getting the same player they would have picked at 10.

With the players, it's either a wash or a good value. Bertans was making 17M this season for Holmes making 12M, but overall about the same money owed. But the big win comes if Holmes can either be worth playing, or can be a piece useful in a trade, because DB had no real value on either front. The best outcome (and it remains to be seen if this might happen) would be that Holmes can actually be a contributor in the lineup, because DB had no real role and provided nothing.

Totally agree. But if Mavs do trade for a center, Holmes essentially takes Bertans role as you described it. A lot of noise Mavs do want to trade for another center. 

Holmes is a negative value contract, we can take that as a fact. No one will give something for him. We can hope for equally bad contract or add assets to trade him for a better contract. If Mavs do get another center, Holmes has no role on the team. 

Center 1: new guy
Center 2: Lively
Deep bench, break in case of emergency, center: Powell

There is also Maxi, who is likely more center than PF.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/167920...42209?s=20

The Dallas Mavericks have acquired Grant Williams from Boston and second-round picks in 2025 and 2028 from San Antonio as part of a three-team sign-and-trade deal.

So we have a ‘27 FRP, ‘25 & ‘28 SRP that are tradable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:24 PM)Smitty Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/167920...42209?s=20

The Dallas Mavericks have acquired Grant Williams from Boston and second-round picks in 2025 and 2028 from San Antonio as part of a three-team sign-and-trade deal.

it also says we gave up our 30 and a swap of our 25 to Boston.  Didn't realize that.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: it also says we gave up our 30 and a swap of our 25 to Boston.  Didn't realize that.

Yeah. And those SRP’s might be earmarked to dump our prized free agent signing last year.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:24 PM)Smitty Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/167920...42209?s=20

So we have a swap of our 25 second (I didn't know this could be traded yet) and lost our 30th.  But picked up a SA 25 second and 28 second.   So in theory we have two 25 seconds now?
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: it also says we gave up our 30 and a swap of our 25 to Boston.  Didn't realize that.

yeah...I get why someone wanted the Dallas '30 1st round swap. That's plain.

If anyone follows the logic of why all those other 2nds were traded back and forth for each other, please explain it to me.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So we have a swap of our 25 second (I didn't know this could be traded yet) and lost our 30th.  But picked up a SA 25 second and 28 second.   So in theory we have two 25 seconds now?

So we have a ‘27 FRP, ‘25 & ‘28 SRP that are tradable. Our own ‘25 SRP can’t be traded outright. Hence the swap.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
So Jaden switching to 1 (Theo's old #). Grant will be #3. Lively is 2. Josh Green is 8. Kyrie is 11. Omax is 18. Most of our players are under 20. Luka totally messing it up.
Like Reply
So is the 30 pick traded outright or is it a pick swap?
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:53 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: So is the 30 pick traded outright or is it a pick swap?

1st is a swap. The ‘30 2nd is outright gone.
Like Reply
I will be really disappointed if we use the seconds to dump McGee.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 1st is a swap. The ‘30 2nd is outright gone.

Like Reply
[Image: F02-r-CaQAACnQR?format=jpg&name=small]
Like Reply

But not likely to see that happen, in the way we have long been accustomed to. Which is a good thing.

Mavs are clearly pursuing the path I have suggested in our conversations. Each time we see a pick sent, another one comes back. It's a much smarter use of assets - in essence, slicing off small pieces when something is needed, rather than bludgeoning the other team with all you have.

In this trade, in which you would expect they would have to be losing a bunch of draft picks, overall they did not. They are bringing in a SNT player of value and asking a different team to take the matching salary, yet they still end up with MORE draft capital than they began with.

A new day. Refreshing.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, MFFL, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 03:20 PM)F Gump Wrote: But not likely to see that happen, in the way we have long been accustomed to. Which is a good thing.

Mavs are clearly pursuing the path I have suggested in our conversations. Each time we see a pick sent, another one comes back. It's a much smarter use of assets - in essence, slicing off small pieces when something is needed, rather than bludgeoning the other team with all you have.

In this trade, in which you would expect they would have to be losing a bunch of draft picks, overall they did not. They are bringing in a SNT player of value and asking a different team to take the matching salary, yet they still end up with MORE draft capital than they began with.

A new day. Refreshing.

Oh I love what they did here. Nico (and Lindsey) have gotten as far away as possible from the old MBT. 

That doesn’t mean I’m against sending assets if it makes the team better. At the end of the day, that’s the name of the game. Be better!
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 02:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So we have a swap of our 25 second (I didn't know this could be traded yet) and lost our 30th.  But picked up a SA 25 second and 28 second.   So in theory we have two 25 seconds now?

Mavs have SAS 2025 and 2028 2nds outright. The Mavs' own 2nd is a pick swap that I doubt occurs. 

So three 2nds.
Like Reply
The trades and picks this summer so far. Hope I didn't miss something:

Players traded              Pick(s) sent             Pick(s) received

Bertans - Holmes           1 2023 1st (#10)        2 2023 1sts (#12, 24)

Bullock - G Will               2030 1st (maybe)      2030 1st (if it happens)   * only if SA has better record
                                    2025 2nd (maybe)     2025 2nd (if it happens)  * only if BOS has better record
                                    2030 2nd                  2025 2nd, 2028 2nd

One point is that things have changed. It's the Presti approach -- I'll do a deal, but my boss says I have to get a pick if I'm gonna do it. But another ramification is that if we see a Capela deal, and the Mavs need to send a pick, we should anticipate a swap, with a pick coming back, rather than an actual depletion of picks.

I think this is all Lindsey, because the Kyrie trade was business as usual with picks. Now the mindset is different. imo
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Knutsen, Smitty
Like Reply
I’m seeing on hoopsrumors that we are sending our 2030 2nd to Boston. Also the swap rights to our 2025 2nd that’s tied up in the protections on the 1st we owe to New York. Turning it into a least favorable likely next summer when the pick conveys.

So the G Will deal is not nearly as much of a steal as was thought to be, but still a good deal. Kinda sounds like we got screwed by either Spurs/Celtics based on how long it took to be official

We really need to be asset stingy on the next move. And i don’t think we can afford to pay to move Mcgee
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
The unprotected 1st round pick swap in 2030 is potentially a hefty price to pay for a role player. You’re literally talking about the #1 pick that could go to the Spurs here if Luka isn’t here anymore by then.

I know, we’re im full hype-mode around here right now, Nico is already GM of the year for the majority of the board, Lively will be the next Tyson, yada yada yada but we certainly did not „steal“ Grant Williams. That picks swap has very high upside get for the Spurs. 

Also: big no on dumping McGee for the 2nd round picks we just acquired. That‘d be the same type of shortsighted move we did when we dumped Delon for 2nds a few years ago. Just keep him around for a little longer to make it work or buy him out of his contract. Cuban has saved plenty enough money over the last decade.
Like Reply