Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-10-2023, 08:22 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Thanks.  Defense is not my forte.

So using DEN as an example defensively...
Green... KCP
G.Will... Gordon
Kyrie... Murray
Luka... MPJ
Powell et al... Jokic

To compare the two, we're lacking...
Green < KCP
G.Will < Gordon
Kyrie = Murray
Luka < MPJ
Powell et al <<< Jokic
We would want our best defenders on their best offensive players 

Jokic - Maxi/GWill/Lively 
Murray - Green 
Gordon - GWill/OMax
MPJ - Luka
KCP - Kyrie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Well, that Siakim trade was supposed to happen today at 4PM, so either it was BS or TOR backed out to open the bidding back up.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 09:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, that Siakim trade was supposed to happen today at 4PM, so either it was BS or TOR backed out to open the bidding back up.

...or it happened but nobody wants you to know about it!
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 10:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: ...or it happened but nobody wants you to know about it!

That would be rude of them, whomever they are. I need to know.

Also, I think I accidentally locked this thread for like an hour. I am a terrible mod, sorry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I read through a couple threads on other message boards tonight that I trust a little. That three-way between ATL, TOR and DAL is out there, coming from every which way. Minnesota people, Indiana people…everyone has a very similar version of that rumor.

Pretty interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 10:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I read through a couple threads on other message boards tonight that I trust a little. That three-way between ATL, TOR and DAL is out there, coming from every which way. Minnesota people, Indiana people…everyone has a very similar version of that rumor.

Pretty interesting.

Does it involve a Dallas first?
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 11:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: Does it involve a future first?

Tough to tell, because all the stuff was from the perspective of those teams. One thing is clear: TOR doesn’t want Capela, and Capela has to be in the deal. 

Not too worried about the IND threat. My worry is that KAT might be the real ATL target. I suppose there might still be an angle for Dallas to get in on that, but I’m not sure.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 11:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Tough to tell, because all the stuff was from the perspective of those teams. One thing is clear: TOR doesn’t want Capela, and Capela has to be in the deal. 

Not too worried about the IND threat. My worry is that KAT might be the real ATL target. I suppose there might still be an angle for Dallas to get in on that, but I’m not sure.

I feel like the same Capela caveat would apply to both deals. He'd need to be in it for salary purposes, but Minnesota needs a center even less than Toronto.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 10:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I read through a couple threads on other message boards tonight that I trust a little. That three-way between ATL, TOR and DAL is out there, coming from every which way. Minnesota people, Indiana people…everyone has a very similar version of that rumor.

Pretty interesting.

Here's what I think needs to happen, if Mavs are to be involved:

Mavs send a C and an experienced wing, get a C and a less-experienced wing. This way each team gets a replacement, so there's no hole left afterwards.

Mavs - send McGee, THJ
Mavs - get Capela, one of Griffin/Johnson (or maybe Bey??)

Mavs are eating the Capela contract for ATL, in exchange for ATL doing somewhat the same for diff players from DAL. The money is very close to equal. Mavs could add a 2nd or 2, as needed. Who goes to TOR (if any) is up to ATL/TOR. And off we go.

If TOR is the intended destination for THJ, there's the option to sub in Holmes instead of THJ, and the money still matches but it's smaller salary.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 11:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: Here's what I think needs to happen, if Mavs are to be involved:

Mavs send a C and an experienced wing, get a C and a less-experienced wing. This way each team gets a replacement, so there's no hole left afterwards.

Mavs - send McGee, THJ

Mavs are eating the Capela contract for ATL, in exchange for ATL doing somewhat the same for diff players from DAL. The money is very close to equal. Mavs could add a 2nd or 2, as needed. Who goes to TOR (if any) is up to ATL/TOR. And off we go.

If TOR is the intended destination for THJ, there's the option to sub in Holmes instead of THJ, and the money still matches but it's smaller salary.

A question: Can't Holmes not be aggregated in any trade till mid September?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 11:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: Here's what I think needs to happen, if Mavs are to be involved:

Mavs - send McGee, THJ

That trade is too good to be true.  I think most folks here would be fine with trading Timmy straight up for Capela, and probably willing to send two seconds to make it happen.  That is probably our best case scenario.  Atlanta does not want McGee and they are not giving up one of the young players in a deal like that.
Like Reply
Another wrinkle,

What if Toronto doesn't want Deandre Hunter? I know we're assuming that's who'd they want to replace Siakam, but TOR had a bunch of issues last year trying to play OG, Barnes, and Siakam all at the same time. Getting Hunter would re-create those same issues, although not to the same extent.

What if Toronto would rather have Okongwu? That makes more sense than Hunter for them. He can play next to Poeltl but also back him up. He's younger as well. If thats the case, then perhaps the Mavs are trying to target Deandre Hunter instead of Capela. I can see why the Raptors wouldn't mind THJ now given that he can play next to OG and Barnes seamlessly and is switchable with GTJr. Basically they'd always have a shot creator next to those two and either can come off the bench.

Either way, the Mavs definitely have the need and interest in both Capela+Hunter. Both fill a need. I'd be happy for either player. But the 2027 FRP for Hunter does seem to be a better "use" of the asset than Capela and can explain why the Mavs would be supplying one in this deal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 12:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Another wrinkle,

What if Toronto doesn't want Deandre Hunter? I know we're assuming that's who'd they want to replace Siakam, but TOR had a bunch of issues last year trying to play OG, Barnes, and Siakam all at the same time. Getting Hunter would re-create those same issues, although not to the same extent.

What if Toronto would rather have Okongwu? That makes more sense than Hunter for them. He can play next to Poeltl but also back him up. He's younger as well. If thats the case, then perhaps the Mavs are trying to target Deandre Hunter instead of Capela. I can see why the Raptors wouldn't mind THJ now given that he can play next to OG and Barnes seamlessly and is switchable with GTJr. Basically they'd always have a shot creator next to those two and either can come off the bench.

Either way, the Mavs definitely have the need and interest in both Capela+Hunter. Both fill a need. I'd be happy for either player. But the 2027 FRP for Hunter does seem to be a better "use" of the asset than Capela and can explain why the Mavs would be supplying one in this deal.

From what I’ve read, Hunter is the main offering in the deal. He’s going to Toronto, and is the most significant piece going that direction.
Like Reply

Mavs - send McGee, THJ

I doubt Atlanta is taking back anything, but expiring contracts, which Toronto has plenty of in GTJ, Young, OPJ. If the Raptors were willing to take Capela this would be a very simple deal.
Like Reply
I'm willing to include THJ+filler+2nds for Capela.

I'd draw a hard line at any 1sts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 12:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: A question: Can't Holmes not be aggregated in any trade till mid September?

Yes that's true (the first allowable date would be Sept 6th).
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 12:40 AM)mvossman Wrote: Atlanta does not want McGee and they are not giving up one of the young players in a deal like that.

Be that as it may, they do want Siakam -- and if they need to replace Capela with something else to do so, and the Mavs are the one place they have to go to make it happen, then the terms should be quite favorable. Right?

The question is, who else (if anyone) would be willing to take Capela for them right now? Or are we the only game in town?

Because I think what I'm asking is not a deal-killer if we are the taker for Capela, and their prize is Siakam.
Like Reply
IF Toronto wants expiring contracts there is most assuredly a place to get them... OKC.

I highly doubt Toronto would want THJ over Rudy Gay and Victor Oladipo if salary is their main reasoning for not wanting Capela. My guess is that OKC would require a multi-player return so that they can get off of 21. Unfortunately I don't think Dallas has a contract that would be acceptable to OKC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Oladipo is a name to watch if we trade Hardaway. He’s slated to be bought out
Like Reply
I've seen a lot of posts expressing that our roster is currently well-balanced and significantly improved compared to last season.  I do think we are a little more talented overall but I see a glaring need for a fourth experienced big man.  

We all expect Grant Williams to be the starting four and have accepted that as of now, Dwight Powell is our starting center.  Kleber is the third big capable of backing up the 4 and the 5.  I don't see any capable players behind them.  Worse yet, Kleber really struggled at the end of last season.  Hopefully, he returns this season fully healthy but that's not a certainty.  

I don't it's wise to expect our rookies to be in the rotation this season.  As to centers, Javale McGee was unplayable last season and won't improve at age 35.  Richaun Holmes was unplayable for the Kings as well.  He played more on 2021-2022 but his advanced stats looked bad then as well.  We should consider both Holmes and McGee to be contracts to be used in a future trade rather than rotation players.  

I think there may be a few solutions still left in free agency.  

I've brought up Derrick Jones Jr several times here.  I think he's the best fit as a small-ball four.  Athletic enough to switch onto guards and generally a strong defender and energy guy off the bench.  He has improved his 3-point shooting and would likely shoot even better on the open looks he'd get from playing with Luka and Kyrie.  He's clearly available for cheap and possibly even the vet minimum.  I think we'd be wise to offer him above the minimum with a second year team option.  Something like 2 years, $9 million total.

The other player who could work here is Darius Bazley.   He is already a very good NBA defender.   His defensive RAPTOR was 3.0 last season which puts him in elite company.  His defensive rating was 110.8 last season which is pretty good.  For comparison, Finney Smith was 117 last year (lower is better).  Marcus Smart last year was at 111.7.  Anyway, Bazley is already a very good defender.  Solid rebounder for a four.  He also has a 7-foot wingspan.  He can cover the perimeter and provides good rim protection (2 blocks per 36 minutes)

He is offensively limited but improved his 3-point shooting last season.  He shot the 3 at 37.7 percent with 3.1 attempts per game.  That's above league average and on pretty good volume (he only averaged 11 minutes a game last year).  As with Jones, he'd probably benefit from a lot of open 3-point attempts playing with Luka and Kyrie.

He also just turned 23 in June.  He spent his first 3 seasons on a Thunder team that was trying to lose.  He was then traded to the Suns where he wasn't really needed.  I think he's shown good development during his career and would be likely to improve here.  I think he'd fit well as a versatile defensive big who can hit open 3-pointers.  We'd be wise to offer him a 2-year contract at about $3.5 to $ 4 million with a second year team option.

Good organizations try to acquire young players with potential, sign them to good contracts, develop them and turn them into assets.  I hope the Mavericks will start doing this.  If he doesn't work out, then we don't pick up the option next year.  I think he'd have a reasonable chance to contribute as our fourth big this season.

However, I expect the Mavericks will either bring in a decaying veteran or possibly leave the 15th spot open to save Cuban some money.

(07-11-2023, 06:25 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Oladipo is a name to watch if we trade Hardaway. He’s slated to be bought out

He tore his patellar tendon during the playoffs.  He's probably not going to be able to play this coming season at all.  If he does return, he's going to really struggle athletically.  He might be someone to consider next summer.
Like Reply