Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-10-2023, 02:09 PM)Smitty Wrote: I don’t want the Mavs to trade a FRP for Capela but the fascination with not sending it for what can be considered a final piece has to stop. The Mavs are in win-now mode. Just two years ago they went to the WCF with Brunson, Luka, Bullock, DFS, Powell starting with Dinwiddie and Maxi off the bench. This year they have Kyrie, ‘23 Luka, Green, Williams, *Holmes with THJ and Maxi off the bench.

You can say what you want about no team goes from missing the playoffs to contenders but the reality is, this team is not far away.

I have no problems spending picks. I’m not one of those guys. 

I have problems spending my LAST $10 (with no income on the horizon) on a chipotle burrito when what I need is a loaf of bread, some peanut butter and jelly that could keep me going for a week or two while I look for a job. 

Spending 1sts like this is PRECISELY how the Mavs got into this mess. To get themselves out, they have to WIN trades.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have no problems spending picks. I’m not one of those guys. 

I have problems spending my LAST $10 (with no income on the horizon) on a chipotle burrito when what I need is a loaf of bread, some peanut butter and jelly that could keep me going for a week or two while I look for a job. 

Spending 1sts like this is PRECISELY how the Mavs got into this mess. To get themselves out, they have to WIN trades.

I think what they’ve done so far this year has set them up for now and the future. Again, I don’t know if Capela is the one that puts them over the top this year but there’s clearly interest from the Mavs FO and if THEY think he’s IT, the FRP should not get in the way. There is a window this year to be as competitive as anyone in the West.

In addition to negotiating a deal with their star player, the Celtics still have to complete the Grant Williams sign-and-trade with Dallas. Though Williams has already made his farewell and the deal has been agreed upon, the sides are still finalizing details in what appears to be a complex deal with several draft picks moving in different directions. – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:23 PM)Smitty Wrote: This is what I would do but if we would all do it, it’s probably too good to be true.

Hawks: Siakam , McGee
Mavs: Capela
Raptors: THJ, Hunter, Bey, Hawks ‘24 & ‘29 FRP, Mavs 2 SRP’s.

Not sure if that’s how the deal will actually look, but in THIS economy, two 1sts, Bey AND Hunter seems like enough for Siakim. Lower than what we’d thought he’d go for the past couple of seasons, but then again he’s not locked into a contract anymore. That might be even a little steep, from some people’s POV.

And, I do NOT think anyone would ask for a 1st from Dallas for Capela, especially if they’re giving up THJ. I agree that the dumping of McGee has value - only reason I’m worried. I really hope Cuban’s desire to avoid the tax isn’t overriding common sense about the worth of the assets involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure if that’s how the deal will actually look, but in THIS economy, two 1sts, Bey AND Hunter seems like enough for Siakim. Lower than what we’d thought he’d go for the past couple of seasons, but then again he’s not locked into a contract anymore. That might be even a little steep, from some people’s POV.

And, I do NOT think anyone would ask for a 1st from Dallas for Capela, especially if they’re giving up THJ. I agree that the dumping of McGee has value - only reason I’m worried. I really hope Cuban;s desire to avoid the tax isn;t overriding common sense about the worth of the assets involved.

This would fall short of the tax line by ~6M. I fully believe that Cuban will now try to avoid it this season.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 01:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like Bey a lot. Don’t like him as a 3. Kammrath and I argued for an entire summer about this. He thought Bey’s athletic profile was underwhelming for an NBA 3, and I argued that he’d be a 4 in the league. So far, that’s what he has been.

Point being, that puts you back to “who’s coming off the bench, Williams or Bey?” Imo, at least. Not opposed, other than I really think those bench minutes should already be going to Omax.

Yeah, if I’m Toronto, I want Bey to replace Siakim.

You could start Bey next to GWill quite easily.  It's moot bc I don't see TOR giving up Siakom without Bey.

I'm a firm believer that when your two superstars are Luka/Kyrie, you go bigger at the 3 and 4:  
*A Flex SF-PF at the 3 (someone like T.Eason)
--- GWill at the 4
*B Flex F-C at the 5 (someone like Z.Collins)

This said, could we use GWill as our POA defender?  If so, I'd love to move Green, THJ, Holmes, Outgoing Wood, McGee, and perhaps 27FRP to acquire *A and *B.

Luka, Hardy
Kyrie, Curry
*A, OMax
G.Will, Maxi
*B, Powell, Lively

This gives us incredible flexibility in the future.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This has been a great off season, and for my money, it has been great specifically because the moves made don’t overtly reek of the thinking above. The above mentality has dictated all of the mistakes of the past few years, but this summer feels different to me.

And, I’m not even opposed to that thinking…for a team close enough to make it count. I think the Mavs recognized that they needed to fill the cupboard up again. I don’t think there’s an imminent flight risk from Luka. I think we’re three years from that worry, easily.

After watching this smart string of moves, how good do you think this situation can be for him in three years?! Much, much better than it is now, and probably better than any of the alternatives, if they play this smart enough.

But at the end of the day, I don’t throw that 1st in because I don’t think this deal is worth it, regardless of where you fall on the team’s timeline. Straight up. No, Griffin’s inclusion doesn’t move the needle, either.

We'll see. I understand where you're coming from and I actually agree the inclusion of 2027 for just Capela is an overpay.

I just think the Mavs are better off being as good as they possibly can be in the short term no matter what. Capela solves the center issue in the short term quite well. 

And this deal does cap off basically their entire list of goals they set out to begin the summer. They'd have addressed almost every issue we had going into the summer. The only one they're lacking a bit is an additional defensive wing and maybe some more consistent bench scoring.

This "insider" really trying to become the next Windy

https://twitter.com/Dc3daM/status/1678487884905476119

Skyline Report (ATL news & rumors) (@Dc3daM)
Why would they guarantee Bruno’s contract
[Image: F0sv1Y_WcA8Z98a.jpg?width=1192&height=596]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We'll see. I understand where you're coming from and I actually agree the inclusion of 2027 for just Capela is an overpay.

I just think the Mavs are better off being as good as they possibly can be in the short term no matter what. Capela solves the center issue in the short term quite well. 

And this deal does cap off basically their entire list of goals they set out to begin the summer. They'd have addressed almost every issue we had going into the summer. The only one they're lacking a bit is an additional defensive wing and maybe some more consistent bench scoring.
That and you’re only left with Holmes as a negative contact going forward, who’s an expiring next year and big enough salary to use in a meaningful trade.
Like Reply
These are always fun to discuss, very rarely happen though.

Any interest in Otto Porter. He seems to be the prototype this team has focused on this offseason. The issue is he very rarely is on the court. But I could see him in a DFS lite role playing with Luka
Like Reply
Hardaway, McGee, unprotected '28 DAL 1st swap for Capela.

If we're giving a 1st ('27 have to be very lightly protected due to BKN or it has no value) we have to be getting one of the young ATL/TOR pieces.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...06464?s=20
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:47 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Hardaway, McGee, unprotected '28 DAL 1st swap for Capela.

If we're giving a 1st ('27 have to be very lightly protected due to BKN or it has no value) we have to be getting one of the young ATL/TOR pieces.

If the deal is truly Hunter/THJ/Bey to Toronto, Siakam/McGee to Atlanta, and Capela to Dallas, then that leaves Toronto about $3.7mm over the tax line. So my guess is that a player who makes between $3.7mm and $8.6mm (what Dallas has left under the tax) would also go from Toronto to Dallas.

The guys that fit (who weren't recently signed) are Precious, Flynn, Dick (has he officially signed yet?), Porter, Young, and Barnes (haha yeah right).

Anyone on that list that you'd be willing to trade a 1st for? Offhand, I think Precious would be a good fit.
Like Reply
2030 unprotected 1st round pick swap to SAS for Grant Williams 

2027 1st to ATL/TOR for Capela

Uffff if that’s where we’re headed. Absolutely zero safety net going forward for what? Two rotation players who will never sniff an allstar game?

I know we’re in full kumbaya mode here on this board right now, Lively will be the next Tyson, Grant will be the next Matrix and somebody will probably come up with a new way to look at Capela but holy smokes guys. Really not a fan if true.

The unprotected pick swap for Williams doesn’t get talked about nearly enough here but moving a 1st for Capela in 2023 is a bad move Imo on another level.
[-] The following 6 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021, RGP1981, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
These rumoured three way trades are trash. Why are we allegedly paying a 1st for Capela + OPJ for THJ + McGee. I don´t see how Capela has much higher value than THJ and the other two are just retired with valid contracts. McGee might be a knucklehead, but at least he´s no pimp. No thanks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I also wouldn't sleep on the possibility that the holdup with the GW deal isn't trade matching but the picks. We still have zero clarity on the two seconds we're supposed to be getting. Maybe there's some way to turn them into a late 1st to send to Toronto without parting with our own.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:55 PM)Smitty Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...06464?s=20

What is the thoughts on the Indy offer?  Do they have their and any other first round picks?
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 02:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: Capela is not the final piece.  He is a better stopgap than Holmes/Powell.  Its not about being afraid to send out that first.  Its about getting good value from that pick.  Capela is not it.

This. He’s close to what Bogut was when he got here. Minimum player on his next contract.
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 03:06 PM)Tyler Wrote: I also wouldn't sleep on the possibility that the holdup with the GW deal isn't trade matching but the picks. We still have zero clarity on the two seconds we're supposed to be getting. Maybe there's some way to turn them into a late 1st to send to Toronto without parting with our own.

There better be. Teams paid 1sts to get off Valanciunas and Adams. Now we are paying a 1st for a possibly declining Capela. That´s dumb asset management again. Toronto is trying to trade Siakam on an expiring deal (pressure), Atlanta is trying to upgrade their roster while trying to get rid of Capela (pressure) and we are paying for it? Yeah no thanks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981
Like Reply
BTW, the Raptors have had a weird few years. I actually liked their team last year but it just didn't work. Massai is regarding as one of the best GM's in the league...and he probably is. But he has made some odd moves the last few years. I think the fans wanted them to tank a time or two at the end of the season, but he made win now moves. Odd fitting team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-10-2023, 03:06 PM)Tyler Wrote: I also wouldn't sleep on the possibility that the holdup with the GW deal isn't trade matching but the picks. We still have zero clarity on the two seconds we're supposed to be getting. Maybe there's some way to turn them into a late 1st to send to Toronto without parting with our own.

This would be ideal and alleviate everyone’s heartburn about the cost to acquire a legit starting center.
Like Reply
If Siakam goes to the Pacers, I´d offer to take Jalen Smith into our remaining TPE and to swap McGee + a couple of seconds for Theis. Much better deal than Capela imho. Then you can really do it by committee with Smith/Theis/Kleber/Powell/Holmes/Lively until a fitting legit starting C trade comes around.
Like Reply