Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-08-2023, 10:28 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Why not both? I´m only interested in Oubre as a THJ replacement, at which point we can definitely use another irrational confidence scorer. If Kyrie misses time during the regular season, which he has for the last four years, it puts a lot of pressure on Hardy and I´m not even sure who is next up after him. If THJ stays there is very little use for Oubre. I see Oubre in the $6-8M two years with a team option range. That leaves a little money for another signing.
I won’t fault you for wanting Oubre, I just don’t get it. Winslow can get us inefficient points too. In the case presented, everyone will need to step up. I think first and foremost GWill will feel the need to take up the slack, then Hardy is also a good option for that as well. Hopefully Green is ready for a little more spotlight on top of those 2.

(07-08-2023, 11:08 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

“One of the terms of the offer sheet provides a unique twist: The first season of the contract is fully guaranteed and the two following become guaranteed for $15.7 million if Reed’s team advances to conference semi-finals in the 2023-24 season, sources said.”
This makes me think Reed didn’t actually want to go to Utah (and/or vice versa), but he for sure wanted out of Philly so Ainge is doing him and his agent a solid.
Like Reply
That Paul Reed contract looks like a bargain.  The Mavericks should have made a bid.  There are not many useful free agents left that fit this roster.  We gave up a 2030 pick swap partly to preserve the full MLE…only to apparently not use the MLE.

Derrick Jones Jr. and Christian Wood are about all that’s left that’s worth more than the minimum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:21 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: That Paul Reed contract looks like a bargain.  The Mavericks should have made a bid.  There are not many useful free agents left that fit this roster.  We gave up a 2030 pick swap partly to preserve the full MLE…only to apparently not use the MLE.

Derrick Jones Jr. and Christian Wood are about all that’s left that’s worth more than the minimum.
The fact that we had the money and the Thybulle RFA contract was no longer a hindrance makes me think the Mavs don’t share our thoughts in this (I think he’d look pretty good here too). If the Powell deal didn’t happen, Reed, I think, would have been a nice alternative option. Reed/Lively/Holmes. I actually would feel a bit more secure in a Reed/Lively/Powell rotation, but how crappy would it be for us to have Holmes waive his TK and then we immediately trade him?
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • loki, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 08:47 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Luka and Kyrie, regardless of any other role player move, were always going to be the reason we make the playoffs. Kyrie needs to be available for 65+ games and mesh well with Luka in order for that to happen. Good news on the games played front, all NBA awards can’t go to players playing less than 65 games (there are exceptions) going forward.

That duo just needs the rest of the team to keep the opponent within 10 or 15 points by the last 4-5 minutes of the game. It’s at that point that the duo earns their keep. There is a lot of hope riding on a great bench player (on one of the deepest and best teams in the league) taking on a starting role, 2 rookies making immediate impact, a vet having a resurgent year, a 2nd year player taking a step forward, a 4th year player taking a step forward and injuries not devastating our team like they have every other team in the league.

That’s a ton of hope, and it would be blind homerism to think all of those will happen in the next season. Thinking some of them will happen? Absolutely. Does it matter which ones? Maybe, well, being relatively healthy will cure lots of ills when the other teams get their annual rash of injuries from their usual suspects. Other than that, give me 3 out of the remaining 5 “hopes” and I think that group of role players can do what they’re supposed to do (keep the game close) on most nights.

All fair. What I think you’re missing here is that we need Luka to become the best player in the league. He keeps showing that potential. But conditioning and shot selection hurt his offense, and effort hurts his defense. Solve these 3 things, and he can drag the rest of em to a top 4 finish. Add an effective Kyrie and solid defenders around them, and it’s a championship squad.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:35 AM)The Jom Wrote: All fair. What I think you’re missing here is that we need Luka to become the best player in the league. He keeps showing that potential. But conditioning and shot selection hurt his offense, and effort hurts his defense. Solve these 3 things, and he can drag the rest of em to a top 4 finish. Add an effective Kyrie and solid defenders around them, and it’s a championship squad.
Good point that I was missing. Signs are pointing to Luka working out and eating right so far this offseason. At least from the looks of the pics I’ve seen.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:21 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: That Paul Reed contract looks like a bargain.  The Mavericks should have made a bid.  There are not many useful free agents left that fit this roster.  We gave up a 2030 pick swap partly to preserve the full MLE…only to apparently not use the MLE.

They might not be worth the full MLE, but there are worthy players and the space is still valuable. We still have the $5M TPE to take in players like Smith, Nwora or Pokusevski. After that we´d be left with roughly $6M FA money and players like

Barton
Oubre
Winslow
Knox
Baszley
Mykhailiuk
Dosunmu
Gabriel
Lamb

might be worth a one year look for slightly above the minimum pay. Maybe you can even combine it with trading McGee.

Little worried right now that the Mavs fall into their old trap, to keep space for a larger salary return in a THJ+McGee trade, that never materializes. They´ll be missing out on some players that could provide some value around the edges. Reed was probably the best candidate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:39 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They might not be worth the full MLE, but there are worthy players and the space is still valuable. We still have the $5M TPE to take in players like Smith, Nwora or Pokusevski. After that we´d be left with roughly $6M FA money and players like

Barton
Oubre
Winslow
Knox
Baszley
Mykhailiuk
Dosunmu
Gabriel
Lamb

might be worth a one year look for slightly above the minimum pay. Maybe you can even combine it with trading McGee.

Little worried right now that the Mavs fall into their old trap, to keep space for a larger salary return in a THJ+McGee trade, that never materializes. They´ll be missing out on some players that could provide some value around the edges. Reed was probably the best candidate.

I think Justice Winslow could be a solid backup.  I like Bazley as a project but he’s probably not going to get much more than the minimum.  Wenyen Gabriel brings some good energy but probably also a minimum guy.

Dosunmo has some talent but we don’t really need another guard.

The pickings are pretty slim and no one remains who’s worth the $11 million we can afford.  Most importantly, no free agent remaining ia an upgrade over Christian Wood.  I’m not sure the Mavericks have improved compared to last season.  We’re younger but I’m worried we’ll be competing for the future play-in tournament.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, what a smart poison pill. MUCH more likely to affect Philly (if they match) than Utah.

Could we do the opposite of that with Charlotte.  MLE for PJ in 23/24.  Becomes a Max contract if they don’t make the conference semi-finals Smile.  

It feels like we are back to either PJ or a trade for someone under contract.  I have zero interest in any remaining FA.  As a group, we are doing the same thing we do every summer…talking up guys we all thought sucked a few weeks ago when we had bigger aspirations.

Back to PJ…I’m somewhat encouraged that Charlotte still has cap space and can do this up to his $17.4mm hold under the cap.  That number corresponds to the reports of him wanting something averaging $18mm.  The question is how?  And, why not yet?  If Charlotte wanted THJ, this would probably already be done.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Arioch, BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:00 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The pickings are pretty slim and no one remains who’s worth the $11 million we can afford.  Most importantly, no free agent remaining ia an upgrade over Christian Wood.  I’m not sure the Mavericks have improved compared to last season.  We’re younger but I’m worried we’ll be competing for the future play-in tournament.

If they don't make the playoffs next year, there will be a lot of changes. Namely coaching. A team with two of the best players in the world can't be out of the playoffs.

This team, so far, has a much stronger and talented bench. We're stronger at the PF position and have capable 3-point shooters almost everywhere. We should be better defensively, and have a least one rim protector (albeit a rookie). This team was not a bad team last year, but they were very disappointing. I think the new energy acquired will make this at least a decent playoff team - much closer to the playoff team 2 years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • Reunion Mav, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
"Marc Stein said the Mavs have not pursued PJ Washington as they know he either will most likely not sign the offer they gave to Thybulle or Charlotte will match it."
https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1...0560288768
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:36 PM)Tyler Wrote: "Marc Stein said the Mavs have not pursued PJ Washington as they know he either will most likely not sign the offer they gave to Thybulle or Charlotte will match it."
https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1...0560288768

No sh*t PHJ Washington doesn´t sign for the MLE. No sh*t the Hornets would happily match it. Must be nice to get paid for posting such hot news.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, Smitty
Like Reply
Mavs biggest question ? is center and Small forward. For center, they need someone who can be productive for 20-25 minutes against other team starters. Do we have that player? For small forward, we all hope Josh Green can start and flourish. But are we ready to say he can play 30-35 minutes in a important playoff game? I think that is a lot to assume now.

I think/hope we can fill one of those holes. The other we probably have to hope for internal development or some luck at least until the trade deadline.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 09:41 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Surprised Ayo Dosunmu doesn’t get brought up more on this board. He’s basically another Thybulle so I wonder if they look his way next. Not sure what his value is and what our appetite would be, that Thybulle contract would definitely not get match by Chicago but that’s way too rich for him too.

Over the last few days I have heard the Ringer and Locked on Mavs call Ayo this years Bruce Brown.   He seems to play a role/position that is already pretty established on our roster.   He is also restricted.    But if you think he has another level to get to, it probably wouldn't be a terrible gamble.   

I am just really curious if they had Hardaway options now or if they made all these moves and then hope to find a landing spot for Hardaway?
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No sh*t PHJ Washington doesn´t sign for the MLE. No sh*t the Hornets would happily match it. Must be nice to get paid for posting such hot news.

He wants a lot more money than the MLE. If the Mavs want to improve the young talent quotient and have any belief whatsoever in PJ, offer him $16 mil a year and do a sign and trade of THJ and seconds. Charlotte is one of those two teams that was supposedly interested in THJ. 

If the Mavs don't do this, it tells me that they are either 1) delusionally hoping to catch a bigger fish with THJ's contract, or 2) really cool on PJ. I understand that they think they filled a hole with Grant and perhaps think they don't need PJ anymore, but PJ is almost as good as Wood on offense, a harder worker from all accounts (i.e. an average NBA worker, lol - pretty much the whole league is more committed to improvement than Wood), and, while sketchy on defense, way better than Wood.

If they send out THJ and (presumably) don't bring back Wood, the offense is going to struggle more than we're presuming now. PJ would help, imho.

I'm thinking that the Mavs somehow cajole the Hawks into Capela. I don't love that move, but it does open things up for Lively (presuming he isn't a bust) next year.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs biggest question ? is center and Small forward.    For center, they need someone who can be productive for 20-25 minutes against other team starters.  Do we have that player?  For small forward, we all hope Josh Green can start and flourish.  But are we ready to say he can play 30-35 minutes in a important playoff game?  I think that is a lot to assume now.   

Agreed, especially about the center position. I think that's the reason the Mavs didn't pursue Paul Reed. He is not yet ready for a 20-25 minute roll in a Mavs offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs biggest question ? is center and Small forward.    For center, they need someone who can be productive for 20-25 minutes against other team starters.  Do we have that player?  For small forward, we all hope Josh Green can start and flourish.  But are we ready to say he can play 30-35 minutes in a important playoff game?  I think that is a lot to assume now.   

I think/hope we can fill one of those holes.  The other we probably have to hope for internal development or some luck at least until the trade deadline.

The guy remaining that I like is Derrick Jones Jr.  I'm not sure what competition is out there, but I would be willing to go over the BAE to get him.  Great defensive versatility and his offense is not as bad as Thybulle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 01:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: The guy remaining that I like is Derrick Jones Jr.  I'm not sure what competition is out there, but I would be willing to go over the BAE to get him.  Great defensive versatility and his offense is not as bad as Thybulle.

Yes, he is a good name.  More of a power forward but I could see a fit with him playing with Williams and Maxi and being a plus defensive unit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
So let me tell you guys how Dwight Powell starting is actually a good thing…
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
David Lord
@David_Lord_2020
·
1h
We won't know details of DAL-BOS-SA until that trade is completed and executed. Apparently any or all of the 3 teams are exploring ways to add to it (thus the delay) which means its final outcome of who gets what is still up in the air.

Quote:Matthew Mozek
@MatthewMozek
·
2h
.@David_Lord_2020 Do we have details on the 2nd Round Picks going to the Mavs in the Grant Williams trade? Or were all those headed to the Celtics?
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 01:51 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: David Lord
@David_Lord_2020
·
1h
We won't know details of DAL-BOS-SA until that trade is completed and executed. Apparently any or all of the 3 teams are exploring ways to add to it (thus the delay) which means its final outcome of who gets what is still up in the air.

Maybe part of the plan for McGee not being on the roster?
Like Reply