Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(07-05-2023, 06:39 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah that only makes sense if Williams can slide down to SF and play more
Which looking back maybe that's for the best. His best +/- year was his rookie year playing 40% SF.

Even if that was a good idea (I don’t believe it is), I don’t think it’s possible as a default lineup with Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s like a 24 year old Kleber. He’ll run, defend and hit 3’s reliably. Might not fit as well as Kleber did in his very best moments, but will probably be more consistently healthy and positive. Can play starter minutes, and unlike Kleber, his best position will actually be the 4.

He was easily my pick as the best fit for Dallas, until the PJ stuff started. PJ is probably a more impactful player right now, but he’s also 4-5 years older. Williams fits so nicely into the timeline of Luka, Lively, Geen, Hardy, Omax, etc. This team is clearly trying to get younger. I welcome the strategy.

This is easily a W of a deal.

Actually they are exactly the same age - PJ is 24 as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Luka will sign a supermax extension. Maybe he leaves afterwards but if he forces a trade the Mavs would have all the picks in the world afterwards.

Fair point. I´d still be worried Cuban´s arrogance could lead to Luka leaving in free agency. Do you think Cuban trades Luka, if he demands it in 18 months? Or does he run it down thinking Luka won´t pass up the super-max extension?

Mavs have clearly bet their future on being good, giving up  2029/2030 unprotected. Maybe these teams even gamble on Luka being done by 2029/2030. Undecided
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s like a 24 year old Kleber. He’ll run, defend and hit 3’s reliably. Might not fit as well as Kleber did in his very best moments, but will probably be more consistently healthy and positive. Can play starter minutes, and unlike Kleber, his best position will actually be the 4.

He was easily my pick as the best fit for Dallas, until the PJ stuff started. PJ is probably a more impactful player right now, but he’s also 4-5 years older. Williams fits so nicely into the timeline of Luka, Lively, Geen, Hardy, Omax, etc. This team is clearly trying to get younger. I welcome the strategy.

More like a young PJ Tucker. He's built like a tank. I like this move. Adds some ruggedness at the 4
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Minus the rim protection. Kleber is an underrated shot blocker and help defender. What really intrigues me is the option to close with both of them.
5-out spacing. Three switchable plus defenders next to Kyrie and Luka.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:45 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Actually they are exactly the same age - PJ is 24 as well.

Oh, snap. Are you sure? I thought PJ was 28. Well, I still like this move a lot, either way.

(07-05-2023, 06:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Minus the rim protection. Kleber is an underrated shot blocker and help defender. What really intrigues me is the option to close with both of them.
5-out spacing. Three switchable plus defenders next to Kyrie and Luka.

Yes, not meant as a diss on Kleber. I’m still a huge fan. I just think he’s a 5 now. Period. Don’t want him anywhere near Kawhi Leonard in space. 

Totally agree with your idea to play Williams at the 4 with Kleber (or any of the centers, really).
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
With GWill and Thybulle in I think Green is gone either in a trade for PJ or Jarrett Allen.
[-] The following 3 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, MFFL, Okstate819
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:42 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Or it could hold no value at all because we finish above the Spurs that season. As long as we stay relevant - that means we keep Luka long term - we shouldn’t finish any season in the lottery and then the pick swap wouldn’t really matter, would it?

Oh ya for sure, but now our worst case scenario just got way way way way worse.  That's all I'm saying.

I realize that even if Luka did leave, it would most likely be via trade that netted a billion picks but the most valuable ones in that scenario would be our own and we currently don't control our 2029 and 2030 picks....just a bit scary.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: More like a young PJ Tucker. He's built like a tank. I like this move. Adds some ruggedness at the 4

Good comparison. He probably won’t be the dominant defender Tucker ended up being, but then again, Tucker played a looooong time and got a looooot of experience. I don’t think people knew what they had when he was 24.
Like Reply
Best off season I can recall to be honest. They have exceeded expectations.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Best off season I can recall to be honest. They have exceeded expectations.

I concur. 

The only way they could ruin it now is by trading for Ayton. As long as they don’t do that, I’m a fan of this summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good comparison. He probably won’t be the dominant defender Tucker ended up being, but then again, Tucker played a looooong time and got a looooot of experience. I don’t think people knew what they had when he was 24.

At the same age Tucker was playing in europe. Left the NBA after a disappointing rookie season with the Raptors. Returned when he was 27.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I was excited until I saw the 2030 unprotected pick swap. Not sure how to feel about that.

F it YOLO
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Interesting that Spurs basically bet on us being shittier than them in 2030. F*** them.

Not the biggest fan of Williams. Let´s see what the money is.

Also does that mean THJ stays?

Well they did just draft the next generational talent by all accounts.  They could well figure in 7 years their star is at their height and almost anyone they pick swap with should be a win for them.  Mavs on the other hand would hope to be on the next Luka contract and competing for the top as well?   2030 gambling is a major long term speculation Huh but it makes some sense for the Spurs. 
For Dallas it makes sense because their urgent need is build around their generational talent now so that he might stick around long term like some guy named, what was it, DIRK something or other?  

Williams is a really good get, Thybulle would be excellent as well, he's another hard worker who has worked his 3pt% up to a more respectable 36.5% 
He should also be a good locker room guy if they can snag him as well as Grant.  
Either way its clear they certainly understand they are building a team around Luka and Kyrie, two offensive prodigies with serious defensive deficiencies. 
Best offseason work I've see in Dallas for a very long time, and it didn't look like they had much to work with coming into it.  

Kudos to the new MBT.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dahlsim's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply

Kleber has more talent. However my biggest gripe with him, Powell and the other cast of forwards/centers is that if the other teams offense really wanted to go to the rim , our guys would just backpedal and let them go wherever they wanted to. Plus they seemed weak at blocking out on the defensive glass.  It drove me crazy.   I would love a tough minded gritty team that puts some bruises on the other team win or lose.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Best off season I can recall to be honest. They have exceeded expectations.

And it's not over
Gotta think THJ and those seconds will be turned into someone useful with more size
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
THERE IS STILL WORK TO DO
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
McGee +2nds to Philly for Reed

THJ + unprotected 2027 1st for PJ

Thybulle MLE

Luka 40
Kyrie 38.9
Washington 17.0
Williams 12.6
Holmes 12.0
Kleber 11.0
Thybulle 9.0
Reed 7.6
Green 4.8

Lively 4.7
Curry 4.5
Powell 3.7
Omax 2.7
Exum 2.1
Hardy 1.7

Could work.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Ok now the Thybulle thing makes more sense (and I'm mentally preparing for that to be full MLE as well).

I love the addition of Grand Williams and the fit and I'm trying to stay positive about this move but...

There is a real possibility now where we are watching a Luka-less team win 20 games in 2030 just to pick dead last.  The Spurs are geniuses, literally nothing to lose and came out like bandits.

I honestly don’t give a rat’s behind about 2030, I really don’t. The clock is ticking. I’m happy to see the Mavs take their shot now. They’re clearly going for a total one year roster rebuild. It may not win super big next year, but they’ll be competitive, and the key pieces now are mostly young guns who will get better over a couple of years. When Kidd said there would be a lot of new players next year, it was hard to believe, but somehow they’ve made it happen.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Dahlsim, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:58 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: THERE IS STILL WORK TO DO

Don´t want to get greedy but...

1) Thybulle for the remaining MLE
2) Dump McGee
3) a) Add another center to the bullpen
    b) Find a legit starting center
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply