Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-05-2023, 06:32 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.
Love this deal so much! We aren’t done
Like Reply
As much as I love PJ Washington, I don’t know that this leaves room for him. I mean, I would be fine starting him at the 5, but I’m probably in the minority. Essentially, I think Williams/Washington were an either/or proposition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Unless more salary is shed, it literally can’t be the full MLE. They are now hard capped at the first apron.

You're right, I missed that, that's good news.

Holy shit we got two seconds?
Like Reply
Woj has a million less.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
25m
Restricted free agent F Grant Williams is finalizing a four-year, $53 million sign-and-trade agreement to land with the Dallas Mavericks, sources tell ESPN.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Is Nico a God?  Woj saying Dallas receiveing two seconds.  What?

Hard to believe - why should we get those, just for the pick swap? Let‘s hope he‘s right!
Like Reply
Wonder if Nico is still looking for a center by pairing those two seconds with Hardaway/McGee now. Feels a little more possible now.
[-] The following 6 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:32 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.

Nice. Spurs must feel really confident, we´ll be trash in 2030. LOL. 

I bet they will use those 2nds to get off McGee. Question is can they get anything back?

McGee + two 2nds for Gafford?
McGee + two 2nds for Reed?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Otherwise sign Bamba or BolBol.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:34 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Hard to believe - why should we get those, just for the pick swap? Let‘s hope he‘s right!

People are really understating how big a deal this pick swap is.  That could easily be the most valuable piece of this whole trade.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • khaled1987, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Bizarro Mavs summer continues. Mavs take on bad salary and add a draft pick. Mavs receive 2nd round picks in a trade. Doing all the things they haven´t done in the last 15-20 years.
[-] The following 6 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine
·
11m
The Mavs will be hard-capped at the first apron by doing a sign-and-trade to take in Grant Williams and, league sources say, maintain strong interest in signing restricted free agent Matisse Thybulle to an offer sheet as
@ChrisBHaynes
reported earlier.

TBD: Will Portland match?
Quote Tweet
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine
·
Quote:17m
Doing a sign-and-trade to acquire Grant Williams means Dallas has still preserved its midlevel exception for further free agent use ... with Portland RFA Matisse Thybulle still at the top of the Mavericks' wish list, league sources say.

More NBA from me: http://marcstein.substack.com
Like Reply
According to Bobby Marks, 4/39 is what we can offer Thybulle
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: As much as I love PJ Washington, I don’t know that this leaves room for him. I mean, I would be fine starting him at the 5, but I’m probably in the minority. Essentially, I think Williams/Washington were an either/or proposition.

Yeah that only makes sense if Williams can slide down to SF and play more
Which looking back maybe that's for the best. His best +/- year was his rookie year playing 40% SF.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:36 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: People are really understating how big a deal this pick swap is.  That could easily be the most valuable piece of this whole trade.

They basically bet on Wembanyama being the best player in the league in seven years and Kyrie destroying the Mavs, with Luka leaving. At that point it could be a 1 for 30 swap. Or Wembanyama becomes Yao Ming and Luka wins five chips here.

I think the two 2nds were real important for the Mavs to get off McGee in a deal separate from a potential THJ move.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Knutsen, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
If I EVER said anything negative about Nico I fully eat crow on that. Homeboy is killing it right now. He is negotiating like a BOSS!

I can't remember ever this much reason to have faith in the Mavs FO
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • MFFL, WillE
Like Reply
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
·
18m
Sources confirm that Celtics forward Grant Williams is headed to Dallas in a sign-and-trade.

Interesting that Grant gets the exact number he was seeking in an extension last fall.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:36 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Nice. Spurs must feel really confident, we´ll be trash in 2030. LOL. 

I bet they will use those 2nds to get off McGee. Question is can they get anything back?

McGee + two 2nds for Gafford?
McGee + two 2nds for Reed?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Otherwise sign Bamba or BolBol.

Luka will sign a supermax extension. Maybe he leaves afterwards but if he forces a trade the Mavs would have all the picks in the world afterwards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:31 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I'm all for deals that bring in youth and talent.  I'll admit that on paper Williams doesn't excite me any more that Thybulle would, but I haven't watched the man play very much so hopefully this pays off.

He’s like a 24 year old Kleber. He’ll run, defend and hit 3’s reliably. Might not fit as well as Kleber did in his very best moments, but will probably be more consistently healthy and positive. Can play starter minutes, and unlike Kleber, his best position will actually be the 4.

He was easily my pick as the best fit for Dallas, until the PJ stuff started. PJ is probably a more impactful player right now, but he’s also 4-5 years older. Williams fits so nicely into the timeline of Luka, Lively, Geen, Hardy, Omax, etc. This team is clearly trying to get younger. I welcome the strategy.

This is easily a W of a deal.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, Kidnova, loki, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:36 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: People are really understating how big a deal this pick swap is.  That could easily be the most valuable piece of this whole trade.

Or it could hold no value at all because we finish above the Spurs that season. As long as we stay relevant - that means we keep Luka long term - we shouldn’t finish any season in the lottery and then the pick swap wouldn’t really matter, would it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:35 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Wonder if Nico is still looking for a center by pairing those two seconds with Hardaway/McGee now.  Feels a little more possible now.

Remember that THJ/Holmes/McGee for Ayton rumor? It happens to save Dallas $3mm, or what they appear to need to offer a max TPMLE contract to Thybulle while staying below the apron. Maybe two seconds will sweeten the deal considering that Phoenix has no picks for a very long time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
I don't know how Luka can be upset or disappointed anymore. Maybe some of these moves don't work out, but the execution by the front office has been as good as we could have ever hoped for. He should be excited. He has a 2nd superstar and lots of exciting young talent now and we aren't done.
[-] The following 4 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • JBB, KillerLeft, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply