Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(07-01-2023, 06:15 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hey I have been burned by the mavs free agency way too many times.  So I tend to be more negative here.

Still plenty of time left.  But they misread the market basket if Bruce Brown and Dillon brooks were the reason they wanted the full MLE.  Never had a chance for either.  Hopefully there was more to their plan than that.

Hasn't this been their playbook for the last few years?  They surely misread Brunson and it cost them dearly.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:07 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Can I get at least a two-week vacation from Bertans before he comes back. Undecided 

If they don´t pull a great trade now, I won´t be watching anymore. Not doing this again.

I´ll be back to laugh at the return they get in the Luka trade and then support, whichever teams Luka and Jaden Hardy are leading to the play-offs, while the Dallas Retirement Home is chasing the 10th play-in spot.

HEEEEEE'S BAAAAACK!!!!!!!

The offseason has barely begun. Lets at least wait until Dame/Harden are traded to see if we are left at the altar again.

I'm strangely hopeful - we got our main guy (and the #1 free agent out there) plus Seth. I'm thinking that we'll either expand our trade or get into one of the big trades and wind up with a player that will help the team.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:59 PM)omahen Wrote: Grizzlies will receive large TE from the Brooks deal

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675277384646361089

They're basically doing an S&T with Josh Christopher going back to Memphis.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:44 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Hasn't this been their playbook for the last few years?  They surely misread Brunson and it cost them dearly.

Yes, they misread Brunson and Giannis. Also Jokic. 

Which just proves beyond a reasonable doubt that they are the worst front office in the league by a large margin, and there’s no hope that they could ever learn from prior mistakes or luck into a good deal.

Where’s Dr. Kervorkian when we need him?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: DP back 3/12. Ugh. It's not team crippling but that's still an overpay and you know they'll use it as an excuse to stifle Lively's development

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675247009199013889

The team said they're keeping him around to mentor Lively. Take that for what it's worth...
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:10 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: .

I think I was the only person unhappy after draft night ended not to have a top 8 rotation player added to the team.

Either trade Kyrie an rebuild or get some players that can help you win now.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with having a short term and long term plan. I wish they had taken a chance on Whitmore though. You had someone who was rated much higher and slid and they went with a specific need position. Defensive rookie centers, especially one and dones, will take a few years to even get calls on the defensive side let alone have to wait for any offensive game to catch up. 

My feeling is in the draft you always go BPA if a clear talent difference is visible and address specific immediate needs through FA.  

I still feel they are in the Ayton hunt. Whether we agree with the fit or not that is a win now move.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:52 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The team said they're keeping him around to mentor Lively. Take that for what it's worth...

Ain't nobody on the Mavericks better at setting a pick than Powell. If Lively can learn that from Powell, he'll be ahead of the curve.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:56 PM)MFFL Wrote: Ain't nobody on the Mavericks better at setting a pick than Powell. If Lively can learn that from Powell, he'll be ahead of the curve.

I hope Lively can teach Powell to block some shots and block out for defensive boards.
[-] The following 4 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • BigDirk41, MAVS-SLO, MFFL, MrGoat
Like Reply
Powell would be perfect as a mentor for a young player. And I don't necessarily mean teaching skills. But by being a professional? Listening to the coach? Busting your @ss everyday because it is a job and a career?

There aren't too many basketball players today that have that kind of commitment and professionalism in the league.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bayliss's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:26 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If the Mavs were in the East, that would give them a chance. Unfortunately in the West, it doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot.

They would have trouble in the East with that lineup. You've got Luka and Kyrie, two of the best, and you hope those rookies and Green and Hardy take a jump. Indiana is better, Charlotte should be better, Cleveland,  Miami it depends on what happens with Dame, the East overall isn't as bad as you think, and that doesn't include Boston, Milwaukee, and maybe Philly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I've been off the internet basically all day cause of work, I come back to see not much has changed besides Brooks getting overpaid an obscene amount, Powell gets a fairly reasonable deal that pays him even less than McGee, and most of the posts are screaming Bloody Mary and the sky is falling calling this FA a failure....?

I'm sorry, do we all have short term memory. What occurred last year was an abject failure. This year? The Mavs actually kept their guy (on a reasonable risk averse deal). Signed back a key knockdown shooter on again an incredible value deal, and we're decrying this the same old Mavs? Sorry I don't buy it

I agree we still need to find a starting 3 and center. Everyone has to take a deep breath and chillax
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Being in North Carolina, the Mavs have done everything they can to dissuade me from renewing my league pass subscription.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dirknows's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 07:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been off the internet basically all day cause of work, I come back to see not much has changed besides Brooks getting overpaid an obscene amount, Powell gets a fairly reasonable deal that pays him even less than McGee, and most of the posts are screaming Bloody Mary and the sky is falling calling this FA a failure....?

I'm sorry, do we all have short term memory. What occurred last year was an abject failure. This year? The Mavs actually kept their guy (on a reasonable risk averse deal). Signed back a key knockdown shooter on again an incredible value deal, and we're decrying this the same old Mavs? Sorry I don't buy it

I agree we still need to find a starting 3 and center. Everyone has to take a deep breath and chillax

Just difficult to imagine how they can get there. We obviously don´t know what is going on and they might have one or even multiple trade options but as of now the Mavs lost the full MLE. Taking them out of the bidding war for the few remaining targets. Add free agents signing contracts left and right. Reducing the number of interesting options. And you have the usual eleventh hour reactions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 07:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been off the internet basically all day cause of work, I come back to see not much has changed besides Brooks getting overpaid an obscene amount, Powell gets a fairly reasonable deal that pays him even less than McGee, and most of the posts are screaming Bloody Mary and the sky is falling calling this FA a failure....?

This is what the FO defenders always say in the beginning of FA...yet every summer it's disappointment.
[-] The following 3 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:52 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The team said they're keeping him around to mentor Lively. Take that for what it's worth...

Lively will learn how to play defense with his face.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • ItsGoTime, loki
Like Reply
I don’t expect him to end up there, but I saw Utah has interest in Dame. They could have the best offer of anyone. I don’t expect it to happen, but trader Danny is sniffing around.
Like Reply

We missed the playin (did people forget already) and Seth Curry is our biggest addition so far.

Darn right I'm upset.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, hakeemfaan, omahen
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 07:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just difficult to imagine how they can get there. We obviously don´t know what is going on and they might have one or even multiple trade options but as of now the Mavs lost the full MLE. Taking them out of the bidding war for the few remaining targets. Add free agents signing contracts left and right. Reducing the number of interesting options. And you have the usual eleventh hour reactions.

Yeah, I think we have all been scorned.   They have clear holes and one way or the other, they need to fill them.   That is not a hard ask.   There are different levels of being filled.  But in years past, I hoped something was brewing only to be let down again.  so this year, I am taking the opposite approach.  That way I will be pleasantly surprised if something happens.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, khaled1987, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
The Sacramento trade will not be official until the 7th right? So if anything is tied to that, we won’t hear until then, right? Not that I am expecting anything.

One more thing, the mavs appear to be ultra tight lipped this year. Even the guys who typically know seem to be doing educational guesses.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...n_twitter/

Christian Wood has followed the Mavs on Twitter again

Got ourselves a new starting 4? lol
Like Reply