Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
Not sure about y’all, but I’m getting nervous. Big week for our mavs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(06-20-2023, 10:44 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There is reporting now that Phoenix reached out to Dallas about a S&T for Irving before the Beal deal went down.  Dallas said no.  PG to Houston for #4 and KPJ would be scary.  Adds $30mm salary to Houston leaving them over $40mm in space for a PG to play with PG and the kids.  Rut Row

Suns Inquired About Potential Sign-And-Trade For Kyrie Irving This Offseason

JUN 21, 2023 1:53 AM

[Image: Irving_Kyrie_dal_230311.jpg]
The Phoenix Suns reached out to the Dallas Mavericks about a potential sign-and-trade for Kyrie Irving this offseason, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

The Suns instead traded for Bradley Beal over the weekend. 

It was reported that the Mavs are likely to re-sign Irving, though Begley confirms the Rockets' interest in the point guard. 
IAN BEGLEY/SNY

Another thought.  Fischer thinks Utah is trying to use 9/16 and Sexton to move up to 5, 6 or 7 to get Anthony Black.  Three way where 

Orlando gets Sexton/9/10, 
Utah gets #6/Bertans.  
Dallas gets Wendell Carter Jr. and 16.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://woelfelspressbox.com/2023/06/ano...nba-draft/

Is Tyler Herro on the block??
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 07:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Suns Inquired About Potential Sign-And-Trade For Kyrie Irving This Offseason

JUN 21, 2023 1:53 AM

[Image: Irving_Kyrie_dal_230311.jpg]
The Phoenix Suns reached out to the Dallas Mavericks about a potential sign-and-trade for Kyrie Irving this offseason, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

The Suns instead traded for Bradley Beal over the weekend. 

It was reported that the Mavs are likely to re-sign Irving, though Begley confirms the Rockets' interest in the point guard. 
IAN BEGLEY/SNY

Another thought.  Fischer thinks Utah is trying to use 9/16 and Sexton to move up to 5, 6 or 7 to get Anthony Black.  Three way where 

Orlando gets Sexton/9/10, 
Utah gets #6/Bertans.  
This is a really good idea. WCj is definitely on the list of guys to target. Not sure how much the Magic value him 

If the Jazz want Black then this probably something they need to do. The Wizards seem most likely to pick him so jumping them would be key
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 09:13 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: This is a really good idea. WCj is definitely on the list of guys to target. Not sure how much the Magic value him 

Yes to Wendell Carter Jr. 

Trade down 6 spots to  get a guy like that should be exactly what we're looking to do.

At 16 you could get lucky and get a falling Dick.....
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 07:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Orlando gets Sexton/9/10, 
Utah gets #6/Bertans.  
That would be an amazing trade for us. 

WCJ, Paolo and Franz seemed to fit well last year so it’s hard to imagine Orl trading him. 

Also, the value Orl is getting back depends heavily on what they think of Sexton. Number 9 and 10 is an overpay for 6, but if Sexton is negative value, that eats up a lot of the difference.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 09:33 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Yes to Wendell Carter Jr. 

Trade down 6 spots to  get a guy like that should be exactly what we're looking to do.

At 16 you could get lucky and get a falling Dick.....

Sigh.

I thought junior high was over...
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 10:15 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Sigh.

I thought junior high was over...

Its almost draft day. We're like kids on Christmas Eve.... Let us have our fun scrooge.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Trying to combine some rumors here:

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...26337?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Quote:The Mavs have spoken to Boston about a potential sign-and-trade for Grant Williams, per Tim Cato

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...06946?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Quote:The Phoenix Suns have spoken to the Boston Celtics about Deandre Ayton, per @ChrisBHaynes

I don't think Boston for a second is interested in adding Ayton. They're about to sign Brown to a 5yr/300mil deal. Tatum is getting 30+mil a year. Smart, White, Brogdon, all make around 20. So 5 players of theirs will account for 140mil. Should they trade Brogdon for Ayton, that jumps to 150 mil. Add in 22 mil from Timelord+Horford, 7 mil with Gallo, and the various other minimums etc, and the Celtics will be way over the 2nd apron. And that's before we're talking about retaining Grant Williams and the fact that the Celtics already have 2 good big men at a fraction of the cost for Ayton 

So I don't see it. But I do see a path here for all teams. Bill Simmons threw out a very peculiar random trade on his pod this last week; Smart for THJ+10. Simmons said that THJ desperately would fix the shooting on the Celtics and Smart needs a change of scenery. While I don't think Smart would fit here at all, nor do I think his value is THJ+10, I do think there is legit interest on the Celtics side with THJ as a shooting wing.

PHX also has been linked to Brogdon A BUNCH these last 2 weeks. Putting it all together:

PHX- Brogdon+McGee

DAL- Ayton (with a SnT later for Grant Williams)

BOS- THJ (And maybe Wood in the summer for Williams?)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Can we actually do a double S&T with Wood and Williams? I've seen it mentioned a bunch but was hoping someone can confirm this is actually possible? I'd be surprised if the Celtics would be interested in paying Wood a relatively similar contract that they would have had to pay Grant to stay but maybe it makes sense.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 11:05 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Can we actually do a double S&T with Wood and Williams?  I've seen it mentioned a bunch but was hoping someone can confirm this is actually possible?  I'd be surprised if the Celtics would be interested in paying Wood a relatively similar contract that they would have had to pay Grant to stay but maybe it makes sense.

It's possible, but it triggers the hard cap for both teams. I don't know if it is the 1st apron (~170mil) or the 2nd apron (~179mil) now due to the new CBA.

Under the proposed deal I have above, a S/W of Bertans and a SnT deal signed for Williams at 12 mil a year would put the Mavs at 159 mil of salary with 9 filled roster spots (including the 10th pick here). If they signed vet mins for the last 5 spots it'd put them juuuuuuuuust under the 1st apron at ~168mil 

So it should be possible?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 10:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Smart for THJ+10. 

Can't you just draft a Smart at 10 who develops into an ok shooter years later? Simmons knows Mavs are desperate but he can shove it.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dougnorrie/status/16...65986?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I would prefer looking elsewhere. 20 & 21 is dropping too far for my liking anywhere. Dfs and O’Neal’s are available. You may need to be patient for them and might need to pay a tad more than the going rate but I would not prioritize a move with our pick for them.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 12:04 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Can't you just draft a Smart at 10 who develops into an ok shooter years later? Simmons knows Mavs are desperate but he can shove it.

You mean, Cason Wallace?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1671569813594832903

Brown to Mavs is a lock

The Denver Nuggets are trading 2024 first-round pick and 2023 40th pick to the Indiana Pacers for No. 29 and 32 on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StepBackJay's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-20-2023, 04:52 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Do you think he's a better fit for this team?  I am kind of with you that Ayton is overrated on this board but he would still be the best center we've had since Tyson and Hardaway's role is shrinking by the minute.  If you can leverage your pick and non core assets to get a starting 4 and 5 (and it makes sense on paper and the court), I would consider this offseason a win and that's essentially what's being presented.

THJ is a team-first, unselfish, positive presence who can shoot, move off-ball, handle (a little) and plays above average defense. I take him over Ayton on literally any team. 

The biggest defensive liability on the floor is almost always the biggest, slowest guy in this high, spread pick and roll era. If you’re going to try to win with a dinosaur, it had better be a moderately priced one who plays with a super high motor. Ayton misses the mark in both cases. Adding Ayton to this team is possibly the single worst thing the MBT could do from here.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, DallasMaverick, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
I mean it won't happen, but I would be thrilled with an offseason like this:

Draft Lively--Maybe trade with Orlando. Get pick 36. Maybe something else?
Pick 36- Someone like GG Jackson
Trade for Grant Williams
Take a flier on a young kid like Trevor Keels- supposedly one of the guys Dallas targeted before Hardy fell.

Or
Draft Hendricks- Would need to fall to 10. Whitmore and Walker are also obvious guys for me if they fall.
Sign Naz Reid for the MLE
Stay opportunistic over the summer and wait for a deal where a team wants to get off someone.

Shams saying the Celtics and Wizards are talking about a KP trade. Really curious what type of package he brings
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...06476?s=20

Quote:The NBA salary cap will come in higher than expected, league sources tell @spotrac.

Cap = $136M
Tax = $165M
1st Tax Apron = $172M
2nd Tax Apron - $182.5M

$2M on the cap and about $3M higher on the tax and the aprons.

Tax = $165M
1st Tax Apron = $172M
2nd Tax Apron - $182.5M
$2M on the cap and about $3M higher on the tax and the aprons.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 01:08 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Shams saying the Celtics and Wizards are talking about a KP trade.  Really curious what type of package he brings

Probably nothing special but I bet he's going to look great on the Celtics as a 3rd or 4th option where he can go for a random 30 or 40 here and there in the playoffs with positive defense
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Really interesting to think what a KP trade looks like to the Celtics. Boston is full with good veterans---most well paid. What would Washington want back? Don't have many young, good players.
Like Reply