Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
(06-18-2023, 11:11 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Btw, what happened to Beals statements about being a Wiz lifer ("being their Dirk")?  That talk sure did end soon.

Also, Athletic saying Beal choose PHX over offers from Sac, Milwaukee and Miami.

One of those teams was likely to give at least one first rounder.  Terrible time for the Wiz fans.

The Athletic states that the Heat were offering Lowry, Robinson and multiple first round picks for Beal. That is so much better than the Suns-package, I have no idea how he landed in Phoenix.
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 12:42 AM)Knutsen Wrote: The Athletic states that the Heat were offering Lowry, Robinson and multiple first round picks for Beal. That is so much better than the Suns-package, I have no idea how he landed in Phoenix.

NTC are supremely powerful. Beal basically said I'm not going anywhere other than PHX full stop. Basically let PHX throw the cheapest possible package they could cobble together and the Wizards had to have accepted it or just eat Beal's salary. 

You'd think Beal would have some respect for his former franchise, the one that gave him such a powerful tool, but he instead forced their hands and f'd them over.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 12:42 AM)Knutsen Wrote: The Athletic states that the Heat were offering Lowry, Robinson and multiple first round picks for Beal. That is so much better than the Suns-package, I have no idea how he landed in Phoenix.

Right?
If the Suns are the only team he would waive his no trade clause for, you keep him. If he wants to hold out, he can hold out. Literally impossible for the offers to get any worse than that
Like Reply
They got 2 pick swaps though which can turn out to be high lottery picks if the Suns fall apart after this all in, so they might value those over guaranteed 1st rounders from Miami.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
Reporting from Matt Moore that GSW and ATL are interested in trading up to get Lively.  His note said it might mean moving up to #10 to do it.  Here is an article about his note with some stuff added.

The
The WWarriors reportedly are eyeing 7-foot-1 center Dereck Lively II in the upcoming 2023 NBA Draft.
Golden State, which currently owns the No. 19 overall pick, likely would need to move up to select the Duke product. Per Action Network’s Matt Moore, the Warriors’ front office now led by new general manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. is willing to do so.

“The Hawks and Warriors are two teams that I’ve heard from multiple sources are interested in pursuing a pick to take Lively,” Moore reported Sunday. “It seems like it’s going to need to be at least 10th to get there.”

Lively, who struggled through the first couple months of his freshman season, wasn’t always considered so highly in the 2023 draft class. But The Athletic’s Sam Veceniewrote Thursday that “few players have had a stronger pre-draft process than Lively.” He's rising on many draft boards and is projected by most pundits to be a late lottery pick for his defensive abilities as a rim protector.

In 34 games with the Blue Devils, Lively proved to be one of college basketball’s best defenders while averaging 5.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game and shooting 65.8 percent from the field.
The Warriors could use a young, defensive-minded backup center after they traded former No. 2 overall pick James Wiseman to the Detroit Pistons in February.
Now, what would the Warriors give up?

ESPN's Jonathan Givony reported Wednesday, citing sources, that 20-year-old forward Jonathan Kuminga could be on the trade block for any deal the Warriors make to move up in the draft. Golden State likely would want more in a Kuminga trade than just to move up nine spots, but it's something to monitor as Dunleavy operates in his first draft as the team's general manager
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 01:31 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Reporting from Matt Moore that GSW and ATL are interested in trading up to get Lively.  His note said it might mean moving up to #10 to do it.  Here is an article about his note with some stuff added.

The
The WWarriors reportedly are eyeing 7-foot-1 center Dereck Lively II in the upcoming 2023 NBA Draft.
Golden State, which currently owns the No. 19 overall pick, likely would need to move up to select the Duke product. Per Action Network’s Matt Moore, the Warriors’ front office now led by new general manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. is willing to do so.

“The Hawks and Warriors are two teams that I’ve heard from multiple sources are interested in pursuing a pick to take Lively,” Moore reported Sunday. “It seems like it’s going to need to be at least 10th to get there.”

Lively, who struggled through the first couple months of his freshman season, wasn’t always considered so highly in the 2023 draft class. But The Athletic’s Sam Veceniewrote Thursday that “few players have had a stronger pre-draft process than Lively.” He's rising on many draft boards and is projected by most pundits to be a late lottery pick for his defensive abilities as a rim protector.

In 34 games with the Blue Devils, Lively proved to be one of college basketball’s best defenders while averaging 5.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game and shooting 65.8 percent from the field.
The Warriors could use a young, defensive-minded backup center after they traded former No. 2 overall pick James Wiseman to the Detroit Pistons in February.
Now, what would the Warriors give up?

ESPN's Jonathan Givony reported Wednesday, citing sources, that 20-year-old forward Jonathan Kuminga could be on the trade block for any deal the Warriors make to move up in the draft. Golden State likely would want more in a Kuminga trade than just to move up nine spots, but it's something to monitor as Dunleavy operates in his first draft as the team's general manager

10 for Kuminga and 19 would be great. The problem is in "something more". I don't think Kuminga is much more proven than Green or Hardy, so I am not giving one of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 01:57 AM)omahen Wrote: 10 for Kuminga and 19 would be great. The problem is in "something more". I don't think Kuminga is much more proven than Green or Hardy, so I am not giving one of them.

The financial constraints also make it difficult to give them "something more" given that they're looking at a $250m tax bill. I was expecting them to try to shed a little salary, but maybe they won't worry about that just yet.

I still like the idea of sending 19 to Washington for Gafford. If that's an overpay, maybe they would also send Kispert to GS? That would give the Warriors another shooter on an affordable contract. Or at least send those Phoenix 2nds they picked up in the Beal trade.
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 04:15 AM)loki Wrote: The financial constraints also make it difficult to give them "something more" given that they're looking at a $250m tax bill. I was expecting them to try to shed a little salary, but maybe they won't worry about that just yet.

I still like the idea of sending 19 to Washington for Gafford. If that's an overpay, maybe they would also send Kispert to GS? That would give the Warriors another shooter on an affordable contract. Or at least send those Phoenix 2nds they picked up in the Beal trade.

I think that is good way of thinking. I think 19 is a lot for Gafford. I liked him on min deal, his new contract is not that good. Never played more than 20 mpg, so I am not really sure he is a credible starter level center or more of an energizer bunny from bench. I would pay a very late pick for him. 

All in all, idea of splitting the 19 pick is sound. Lets say Indy with their late picks. One to Dallas and one to GSW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 01:57 AM)omahen Wrote: 10 for Kuminga and 19 would be great. The problem is in "something more". I don't think Kuminga is much more proven than Green or Hardy, so I am not giving one of them.

Given that they are getting the better draft position, I assume the matching isn’t nearly as good as Green or Hardy.  McGee or Reggie’s guaranteed amount is what I’m thinking.  

Interesting that this guy thinks Atlanta’s desire to move up is also for Lively.  Maybe Collins/Okongwu isn’t that far fetched.  It would leave Atlanta with Capela for at least two years while they wait for Lively to grow up.
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 06:40 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Given that they are getting the better draft position, I assume the matching isn’t nearly as good as Green or Hardy.  McGee or Reggie’s guaranteed amount is what I’m thinking.  

Interesting that this guy thinks Atlanta’s desire to move up is also for Lively.  Maybe Collins/Okongwu isn’t that far fetched.  It would leave Atlanta with Capela for at least two years while they wait for Lively to grow up.
Yes on Kuminga 19 for Mcgee 10

I was thinking the opposite on Atlanta. They keep Collins to build his value because it’s currently negative. Okongwu/Lively is the cheap big rotation for years. They trade Capela to move up and dump salary in one move. 

Still, it’s hard to imagine a team trading up for Lively
Like Reply

McGee is what they would get
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 07:16 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: McGee is what they would get

We all know McGee is not "something more" they are thinking about Smile Of course I would do it for just #10 for Kuminga and #19. But what if they wanted more? Is there where you draw the line for Mavs or do you offer something more?
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 07:26 AM)omahen Wrote: We all know McGee is not "something more" they are thinking about Smile Of course I would do it for just #10 for Kuminga and #19. But what if they wanted more? Is there where you draw the line for Mavs or do you offer something more?

ya even then I don't think Mavs would do that deal.
Like Reply
Trying to confirm this, and I don’t see it on his Twitter feed (maybe it was on some podcast), but some Mav’s fan is quoting Eric Pincus as saying Atlanta might have to use #15 to move on from Collins.  No swaps, just give away the pick and Collins for expiring deals.

Lends some credence to those who think we should absolutely fleece Atlanta if we were to take on Collins.  Probably also lends some credence to those who think we should stay away.  As with most of this stuff, I’d like to see the deal AND see the rest of the plan for the summer unfold before just saying yes or no to Collins.  

His timeline fits well with the rest of this contract for Luka and he was once a good secondary threat as an offensive player.  Even if the deal is a total giveaway, I want to see the rest of the moves to see what position he’s playing and who he might be paired with in the front-court before passing judgement.
Like Reply
Who are some of the names going to washington if they trade Paul to the Clippers? I may have an interest in someone if Washington didn't want to keep them. Batum?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Trying to confirm this, and I don’t see it on his Twitter feed (maybe it was on some podcast), but some Mav’s fan is quoting Eric Pincus as saying Atlanta might have to use #15 to move on from Collins.  No swaps, just give away the pick and Collins for expiring deals.

Lends some credence to those who think we should absolutely fleece Atlanta if we were to take on Collins.  Probably also lends some credence to those who think we should stay away.  As with most of this stuff, I’d like to see the deal AND see the rest of the plan for the summer unfold before just saying yes or no to Collins.  

His timeline fits well with the rest of this contract for Luka and he was once a good secondary threat as an offensive player.  Even if the deal is a total giveaway, I want to see the rest of the moves to see what position he’s playing and who he might be paired with in the front-court before passing judgement.

I can't help but think Collins is just a more expensive version of Wood.  I haven't watched as much of Collins to say if he's an upgrade on defense, but seems he's similar enough that Kidd might not use him enough or correctly.  Of course, the big contract should force that issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hooper21's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 01:57 AM)omahen Wrote: 10 for Kuminga and 19 would be great. The problem is in "something more". 

Pro Sports Tip: When interpreting a rumor, always pay attention to anyone name-dropped by the reporter other than the player he's talking about. That's almost certainly the source. 

The article DS quotes was originally written by a beat reporter for a local San Francisco news station and mentions Dunleavy twice, which strongly indicates that the new Golden State GM is the guy feeding him the info. Keep that bias in mind when interpreting talk of what Golden State wants, especially when the article is strangely saying that the Warriors need more in order to trade up.
Like Reply
I'd take John Collins for Bertans+McGee+46.
No first round pick swaps.

But..

If the Hawks are adding the 15th for free, then this is a total no brainer.
Think about the fit later, change the coach, whatever..
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Trying to confirm this, and I don’t see it on his Twitter feed (maybe it was on some podcast), but some Mav’s fan is quoting Eric Pincus as saying Atlanta might have to use #15 to move on from Collins.  No swaps, just give away the pick and Collins for expiring deals.

As low as his value seems to be this almost has to be about the injury status. Is his finger and as a result his shot broken beyond repair?
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 09:36 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'd take John Collins for Bertans+McGee+46.
No first round pick swaps.

But..

If the Hawks are adding the 15th for free, then this is a total no brainer.
Think about the fit later, change the coach, whatever..

I don't think they will move 15 for him straight up.    But I do wonder what they take for him later in the summer if they don't move him by Thursday.    I think the package above with spare parts and maybe a future first could be more than enough if they don't move him prior to the draft.   A future protected first from Dallas may be too much for their liking, but Atlanta may be feeling some heat to at least clear up some salary prior to the draft as well.
Like Reply