Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(05-14-2023, 09:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Looks like we’re heading to a conclusion of his time in Phoenix, so looks like we’ll see what the league thinks.

I will say, firing Monte might be a step to retaining him. Edit: or at least a step towards keeping him if the return value isn’t there.

Maybe so but even if they keep him I think they will be looking to deal him at the deadline.  At that time 
teams might be looking for an asset from PHX (which they don't have) to get off his contract.   I don't see a way they can rehab is image around the league.

This thought that Aytons change of scenery is needed bc of PHX disrepect of not giving him the Max is ridiculous.  Ayton proved he wasn't worth the max this post season with his play.  His pouting of not being offered the max by PHX through out the season and playoffs is another big red flag.

Btw, the owner that didnt offer him the max happend to be an alumnus of the school where Ayton played.  I'm pretty sure he knew all about his work ethic for sometime before drafting him number one overall and still took him. That said owner ignored all those scouts hoping that a change of scenery and entry into the NBA would be everything he needed.  Only fours years latter he realized that he was not a max player.

One of those reports from scouts even went as far as to question Aytons self awareness saying that he thought he was hard worker but did not have any context of what hard work was.  This should be a red flag to NBA teams.

I doubt those things are changing in a different environment.  Especially when the Mavs have a super star that isn't exactly known to be hard worker himself.  It doesn't seem to be prudent to bring those two together in the same lockerroom.
Like Reply
Ja suspended by the Grizzlies again for flashing a gun in a video again. He's going to lose everything if he doesn't get it together. I hope he does.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 10:33 AM)Luka77 Wrote: teams might be looking for an asset from PHX (which they don't have) to get off his contract.   

Phoenix is not looking to get off his contract. They are looking to get better by trading him
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 08:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: New owners want shiny toys, not reasonable roster construction decisions and role players.

Chris Paul will be 39!!! when the play-offs start next year. Are they going to rely on Cameron Payne next year, too? Obviously not. They need a PG.

No doubt they'll want Kyrie.  I think they're slobbering over a nucleus of Kyrie/Booker/KD.

IMO, Kyrie should be traded for a piece that fits better, but not a tremendous dropoff.  Ayton is a huge dropoff.

I haven't heard of a better exchange for Kyrie than Jrue.  The majority of players say he's the best wing defender in the league.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 12:10 PM)omahen Wrote: Phoenix is not looking to get off his contract. They are looking to get better by trading him

First, If the Mavs cant get better immediately by adding the 10th pick I have a hard time seeing PHX get better with that pick.

Moreover, IMO PHX has terrible depth and would get better by breaking up that Ayton contract for depth pieces.  They are in a similar position as the Mavs but with worse depth.

Good luck to PHX trying to get a lottery pick for Ayton from another team.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 10:53 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Ja suspended by the Grizzlies again for flashing a gun in a video again. He's going to lose everything if he doesn't get it together. I hope he does.

I likened him to AI, who straddled the line between thug life and NBA HOF.  Ja seems to be losing the battle, is desiring to be a thug poser where it was more of whom AI was.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1657704154800717826
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 12:59 PM)Luka77 Wrote: First, If the Mavs cant get better immediately by adding the 10th pick I have a hard time seeing PHX get better with that pick.

Moreover, IMO PHX has terrible depth and would get better by breaking up that Ayton contract for depth pieces.  They are in a similar position as the Mavs but with worse depth.

Good luck to PHX trying to get a lottery pick for Ayton from another team.

Agreed.  Given his lack of performance in the playoffs last year and his fiasco this year, I can't imagine PHX keeping him.  His contract is horrible, but like us with the KP trade, they are better off exchanging him for multiple parts, especially with their cavern of depth.  No team is going to give them equal "value".  So Stein's suggestion is pretty spot on.

I would still like to see what it would take to get Jarrett Allen.  #10 and ???
Like Reply
The Mavs better not trade for Ayton. I think Joe Barely Cares actually cared to play basketball more than Ayton.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 01:27 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Agreed.  Given his lack of performance in the playoffs last year and his fiasco this year, I can't imagine PHX keeping him.  His contract is horrible, but like us with the KP trade, they are better off exchanging him for multiple parts

LOL what?  MULTIPLE? We got Dinwiddie and in exchange the Wizards got to unload Bertans and received a 2nd round pick.
Like Reply
(05-13-2023, 06:03 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Yes, because all trade rumors are real.  The only people who believe that shit are fans.

I place Wood at Nurkic money.

Would Nurkic have gotten the same money under this new CBA?

I don't think so
Like Reply
Kyrie for Ja? Who says no??

At face value of course Memphis says no. But it's likely Ja is facing at least a 50+ game suspension. And what's to say he doesn't do it a third time, get banished like Arenas forever? But if he straightens out? Hoo-boy.

Memphis, meanwhile, would get an older Ky, but pick right up with being a top 3 seed next year.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 05:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: LOL what?  MULTIPLE? We got Dinwiddie and in exchange the Wizards got to unload Bertans and received a 2nd round pick.

Sad but true.

But, it reminds me of something that relates to the Ayton discussion (not directed at you).  Almost no one was happy about Dinwiddie.  All most people did was look at the Washington version and say meh.  Few bothered to look at or remember what Dinwiddie was he last season in Brooklyn before he got hurt.  Dinwiddie was fantastic here (if we limit the discussion to the rest of that season and in the playoffs). 

I think a bit of the same if going on with Ayton.  He was much better (especially defensively) in 21/22 than he was last season.  I don't think we can rule out or guarantee a pick up in play with a change of scenery.  But, there is a gear he's show before that he didn't show last season for whatever reason.  I think my position on Ayton is I'd rather take a chance on getting that back than on someone who has never shown that gear (depending on price of course).
Like Reply
I wasn’t happy with Dinwiddie in the deal because it was doing Washington a favor to get off of him. Bertans especially, but Dinwiddie too. The team turned on both of them and we couldn’t extract any value off of that, we had to add a second even.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 01:27 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Agreed.  Given his lack of performance in the playoffs last year and his fiasco this year, I can't imagine PHX keeping him.  His contract is horrible, but like us with the KP trade, they are better off exchanging him for multiple parts, especially with their cavern of depth.  No team is going to give them equal "value".  So Stein's suggestion is pretty spot on.

I would still like to see what it would take to get Jarrett Allen.  #10 and ???

Jarrett Allen flamed out in the playoffs too. He couldn't even box out Mitchell Robinson off the boards.
Like Reply
(05-14-2023, 06:50 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Kyrie for Ja?  Who says no??

At face value of course Memphis says no.  But it's likely Ja is facing at least a 50+ game suspension.  And what's to say he doesn't do it a third time, get banished like Arenas forever?  But if he straightens out?  Hoo-boy.

Memphis, meanwhile, would get an older Ky, but pick right up with being a top 3 seed next year.

I don't think they're a top 3 seed again next season. They were definitely on the right trajectory of being a top 5 team in the league before the meltdowns. I think they lose a few pegs off the ladder next year and finish middle of the pack or lower. Of course, a lot depends on Ja's pending situation.
Like Reply
(05-15-2023, 12:29 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Jarrett Allen flamed out in the playoffs too. He couldn't even box out Mitchell Robinson off the boards.

And Mitchell Robinson wasn´t doing anything in the series against Miami. All about specific matchups. Brings us back to question if it is even worth it to invest big money/assets into a big that can quickly turn into a liability.
Like Reply
(05-15-2023, 01:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And Mitchell Robinson wasn´t doing anything in the series against Miami. All about specific matchups. Brings us back to question if it is even worth it to invest big money/assets into a big that can quickly turn into a liability.

That is a fair question, especially one who brings no offense to the table.  Vucevic is another name out there.  His D is actually better than Ayton's and has much more offensive ability.
Like Reply
(05-15-2023, 01:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And Mitchell Robinson wasn´t doing anything in the series against Miami. All about specific matchups. Brings us back to question if it is even worth it to invest big money/assets into a big that can quickly turn into a liability.

1 year deals on veteran minimums a la D12 or McGee.  Too bad we fucked that strategy up thoroughly.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bgeltznba/status/165...75944?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Kyrie to PHI. Harden to PHX. Ayton+Maxey to Dallas ????
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Ayton would be such a huge mistake. It’s making me nervous that so many fans are talking about adding him.

Bad players on huge contracts aren’t the answer.
Like Reply