Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: ATL Open to Trading Trae Much More Now After Lottery
(01-12-2024, 04:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @massey_evan
The #Pacers and #Raptors have been in serious discussions regarding a Pascal Siakam trade over the last few days, per source. I'm told Bennedict Mathurin is NOT included in these discussions

I'm curious what Indy is proposing. The trade match package isn't obvious. I'm guessing Brown- Toppin-FRP but it's not enough matching salary, the value seems a bit light (both are expiring contracts), and the mismatched number of bodies might also be an issue.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:37 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I hope that one day someone will love me as much as you love Dorian Finney Smith.

Well, that day is today, pal. Surprise, it's me!!!!

That reminds me: Where's @cow???
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:25 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I forcefully but respectfully disagree.  There are a lot of teams who would like to have Siakam.  He's the only top-40 player in the NBA who's clearly available at this time.  Teams like the Warriors, Hawks, Pacers and Nets can all easily beat our offer.  Masai would bring up Lively then hang up the phone when we said no.  

We might have a chance this summer if Siakam makes it to free agency and determines he wants to be a Maverick.  We'd have some leverage then.   Currently, Toronto has no incentive to accept our best offer which is multiple bad contracts and a 2027 1st.

Siakam has all the leverage. He’s traded to a team he wants or walks for nothing. The Mavs can give a decent package. Omax, unprotected 1st, somebody decent in the salary match like THJ. Get er done.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:33 PM)omahen Wrote: Warriors have worse contracts than Mavs, unless they include CP3 or Thompson (only value for Toronto is that they are expiring). Hawks are rumored to be retooling and rumors are Siakam said he doesn't want to resign with them. Pacers have cap space in the summer and are not interested in giving up anything valuable according to recent reports. This leaves BKN from your list, who were not even rumored to be interested in Siakam.

The Warriors have better assets to include in a trade.  Kuminga especially is a far more promising than anything else we can trade apart from Luka, Kyrie and Lively.  I believe the Warriors should have 2 first round picks available as well.

Also, even though Wiggins is having a terrible year, I think he would be more appealing as a rehab candidate than what we would probably be proposing-  Grant Williams and Richaun Holmes.
Like Reply
My reading is that most of the teams mentioned, including the Mavs, are not yet willing to meet the demand. Either the demand changes or one of the teams give in. At this point, it looks more like Toronto simply will not be able to acquire what they want from those teams still in the running. The Pacers apparently do not want to give up Wallace, and Golden State may have salary issues or perhaps some fuzzy cap problem with their trade offer. It's harder to know what's being asked from Dallas. The Mavs have always been pretty good at not showing their cards.

It feels like Dallas is still in it. I'm hoping they've drawn a line in the sand with certain asks, but I also hope they continue to offer trade options.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 09:22 PM)Winter Wrote: It feels like Dallas is still in it. I'm hoping they've drawn a line in the sand with certain asks

The Mavs cannot trade O-Max. I forbid it.
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 09:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Mavs cannot trade O-Max. I forbid it.

I honestly wouldn't include Omax either. Partly because Omax seems like a PS starter kit, and partly because PS may turn into a short rental - in which case you've given away an interesting first-round pick for a half-season of a good wing who doesn't fully solve the problem in the interior.

I also think the Mavs may be looking for a more useful center, and it may be the asking price for PS takes away a real need. The idea of signing both Biyombo and PS seems like it might be within reach, but trading for say Capela and PS is simply impossible as assets would be too limited to do both. But if the Mavs have decided a good rebounding center with a multi-year opportunity to re-sign is more important than a very good wing for a short 5 months... then I completely understand it. Focus on your biggest need and stick with it.
Like Reply
Mavs best chance may be for Toronto to hold until him at the trade deadline. Then the hard part comes. They need Paschal to choose them. With a few teams Toronto would have little leverage. I am sure Dallas would send a few firsts plus expiring though. you could probably save your young players then.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: Just saw that Siakam played HS ball in Lewisville? At God’s Academy? Anybody know how long he was here? Any likely connections that might give us an edge in this recruitment?

Cuban using local ties to his recruitment advantage. Good one. Big Grin
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 09:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, that day is today, pal. Surprise, it's me!!!!

That reminds me: Where's @cow???

Surprise to you!  I am Dorian Finney Smith!

Bring me back to the Mavericks!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Central
@TheDunkCentral
People within the Mavericks’ organization believes Pascal Siakam could be the missing piece next to Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic, per
@JakeLFischer

“I know there are absolutely people in Dallas who really think Pascal is a missing piece that could potentially pair with Luka [Doncic] and Kyrie Irving and all of a sudden you look up and the Mavericks off are a legitimate contender in the West”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 10:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Central
@TheDunkCentral
People within the Mavericks’ organization believes Pascal Siakam could be the missing piece next to Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic, per
@JakeLFischer

“I know there are absolutely people in Dallas who really think Pascal is a missing piece that could potentially pair with Luka [Doncic] and Kyrie Irving and all of a sudden you look up and the Mavericks off are a legitimate contender in the West”

Bad aggregation. 

In the next breath, he said there are others who don’t feel that way.

Besides, I have forbidden the Mavs from trading O-Max, so I’m not sure a Siakam deal is in the cards.
Like Reply
Jake Fischer has as many sources as my goldfish. Dude is just a Twitter guesser.
Like Reply
The Mavs can definitely trade Omax and Hardy for that matter. Reminds me of when the Cavs reacquired LeBron in 2014. They gave up what seemed like a lot for KLove. But their window was open. Draft picks and kids weren’t going to help them. Mavs are in the same spot with Luka and Kyrie. Their time is now. I’d make an exception for DLive because he’s so good right away and plays a critical position, but the Mavs don’t need kids. They need win now players. Siakam is a good player in his prime. He’s been a key player on a championship team. If the Mavs have a chance to go all in, they go all in. There’s no tomorrow. Aggressive teams win the day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Orlando has sneakily dropped from 2nd to 8th in the East. While I think they are in no rush, I believe they at least want a fighting chance for top 6 and certainly not slip out of the play-in. I actually don´t think leading 6th man of the year contender THJ for WCJ is a fair deal. If they want that, they need to sweeten the deal with one of their youngsters. Feel like they should throw in Houstan/SF.

Otherwise all they can get is Curry + a salary match (Kleber or Holmes or Powell+Morris)
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 02:24 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs can definitely trade Omax and Hardy for that matter. Reminds me of when the Cavs reacquired LeBron in 2014. They gave up what seemed like a lot for KLove. But their window was open. Draft picks and kids weren’t going to help them. Mavs are in the same spot with Luka and Kyrie. Their time is now. I’d make an exception for DLive because he’s so good right away and plays a critical position, but the Mavs don’t need kids. They need win now players. Siakam is a good player in his prime. He’s been a key player on a championship team. If the Mavs have a chance to go all in, they go all in. There’s no tomorrow.  Aggressive teams win the day.

I guess I'll assume that Pascal has committed to re-signing with Mavs in your scenario.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 06:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Honestly, DFS is gone for like one calendar year, not even a full season, and it's like people forgot that he's the second or third best Maverick of all time.

Of all time?  That's quite a stretch for me.
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 02:24 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs can definitely trade Omax and Hardy for that matter. Reminds me of when the Cavs reacquired LeBron in 2014. They gave up what seemed like a lot for KLove. But their window was open. Draft picks and kids weren’t going to help them. Mavs are in the same spot with Luka -and Kyrie. Their time is now. I’d make an exception for DLive because he’s so good right away and plays a critical position, but the Mavs don’t need kids. They need win now players. Siakam is a good player in his prime. He’s been a key player on a championship team. If the Mavs have a chance to go all in, they go all in. There’s no tomorrow.  Aggressive teams win the day.

Incorrect. The Mavs cannot trade O-Max. I forbid it.
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Omax has a lot of refining to do...but he seems to have polished up his game just from the start of season until his last game with Mavs.

He looked like two things to start the season...a chicken with its head cut off(him lost and just running around on defense) and Bambi(just wild uncoordinated body).

Maybe it was running with less organized 3rd teamers early on that made him look bad...I dont know. But he seems to look better playing with 1st and 2nd string guys on the court. He looks less lost and seems to be figuring the defensive assignments out compared to first few games. Maybe he was out of shape...but he doesnt look as wild body movement wise and he doesnt look like hes running with shoes 3 sizes too big anymore.

I am reluctant to give up on this dude so early. His size and athleticism...plus his desire to attack the rim with ball have me intrigued. I think he eventually figures the defensive footwork stuff out and turns into a problematic defender...and then his aggressiveness to attack the rim with ball(he has a few tricks in his bag around the rim)....Im not trading this dude if I dont have to. Dont get me wrong...he is raw and needs refinement.

Siakam was 5 for 6 from 3 last night, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 07:18 AM)Winter Wrote: I guess I'll assume that Pascal has committed to re-signing with Mavs in your scenario.

Yes. Siakam has to choose the Mavs. I think he might. It’s the best fit for him to go to a place to open a 4 year title window.

And BTW, I like Omax. He has a shot to be a good player. Otherwise, the Mavs wouldn’t be in this conversation. But the Mavs can’t wait two years. This is how it works. Good teams trade the future for the now, bad teams trade for the future. It was a shrewd move for the Mavs to finally give Omax an extended G League run (even though they could have used him with all the injuries) so the Raptors or other suitors could get a taste of his potential.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply