Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-08-2024, 06:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I look at it similarly.  I think Green eventually starts here alongside Luka, Kyrie, Lively and NewPF, but that  is an argument for another day (we are 7-1 when he starts).  You then have NewBackupC along with Exum (guards 1-3), DJJ (guards 2-4) and eventually OMax (Guards 3/4).  The nice thing about NewPF and DJJ is between them and (hopefully) Maxi you don't have to have OMax ready for this season's playoffs.  You can run an 8 man playoff rotation without him.

The bench is light on offense, but we don't platoon.  If NewPF can create (unlike THJ who currently occupies this salary or GWill), then you can keep two of Luka/Kyrie/NewPF on the floor at all times.  You also have Green and Exum who can help with ball handling and distribution.

So, Ideally NewPF can create for themselves and others and hit a 3 (think Bojan/Kuzma/Grant), but also defend and rebound (think Not Bojan/Kuzma/Grant).  We've talked about a ton of names and no one who is available seems to fit the bill.  A backup C is another position where there is disagreement about.  Do we run 48 minutes of a similar skill set or do we need a differentiated skill set (a better and healthy Maxi).  

To me, the guys who aren't necessary to this vision (besides Holmes) are THJ (I think his D and lack of playmaking is really detrimental), GWill (not good enough to start and blocks OMax backup opportunities) and Hardy.  Does anyone else even matter?  I would pay a premium if I could fill NewPF and NewBackupC all at one time as long as I don't have to touch the Luka/Irving/Lively/Green/Exum/DJJ/OMax core.  I'd also give up 2027 unprotected and add swaps if the level of player was high enough.  I know many here want to wait until the summer (or put better...think we have a better shot at accomplishing both this summer).  But, fill those two slots properly...now...and I think we can run with anyone in the playoffs.

I was reading this and thinking, "Wow, this post is great, this person has basically the same opinions about the state of the roster and the team as I do!" (Well, maybe not about Green starting, tbh) Then I saw who wrote the post and I was even happier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I look at it similarly.  I think Green eventually starts here alongside Luka, Kyrie, Lively and NewPF, but that  is an argument for another day (we are 7-1 when he starts).  You then have NewBackupC along with Exum (guards 1-3), DJJ (guards 2-4) and eventually OMax (Guards 3/4).  The nice thing about NewPF and DJJ is between them and (hopefully) Maxi you don't have to have OMax ready for this season's playoffs.  You can run an 8 man playoff rotation without him.

The bench is light on offense, but we don't platoon.  If NewPF can create (unlike THJ who currently occupies this salary or GWill), then you can keep two of Luka/Kyrie/NewPF on the floor at all times.  You also have Green and Exum who can help with ball handling and distribution.

So, Ideally NewPF can create for themselves and others and hit a 3 (think Bojan/Kuzma/Grant), but also defend and rebound (think Not Bojan/Kuzma/Grant).  We've talked about a ton of names and no one who is available seems to fit the bill.  A backup C is another position where there is disagreement about.  Do we run 48 minutes of a similar skill set or do we need a differentiated skill set (a better and healthy Maxi).  

To me, the guys who aren't necessary to this vision (besides Holmes) are THJ (I think his D and lack of playmaking is really detrimental), GWill (not good enough to start and blocks OMax backup opportunities) and Hardy.  Does anyone else even matter?  I would pay a premium if I could fill NewPF and NewBackupC all at one time as long as I don't have to touch the Luka/Irving/Lively/Green/Exum/DJJ/OMax core.  I'd also give up 2027 unprotected and add swaps if the level of player was high enough.  I know many here want to wait until the summer (or put better...think we have a better shot at accomplishing both this summer).  But, fill those two slots properly...now...and I think we can run with anyone in the playoffs.

I very much agree with what you’ve identified as the core and I hope they do everything they can to hang onto Omax and Green. Hardy still has potential but you can always replace what he brings. Thought it was interesting that after Hardy’s big game he hardly got off the bench and I believe Seth came in before him. Seems to me that something is off with him and Kidd this season. Could of course be trade talk related but it’s not the first time it’s happened this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I would pay a premium if I could fill NewPF and NewBackupC all at one time as long as I don't have to touch the Luka/Irving/Lively/Green/Exum/DJJ/OMax core.  I'd also give up 2027 unprotected and add swaps if the level of player was high enough.   

Here is an idea that I think is clever and fits the NewPF and NewBackupC theory...

The deal is THJ/GWill/Hardy/Draft compensation for Avdija (23)/Gafford (25).

I think Gafford at $12mm is a decent combination of cost and skill behind Lively and you haven't paid him so much that you question Lively's status as #1.  

I suspect the trickier one for most here will be Avdija.  His D-Reb% is a surprising 20.8 for his career (J. Grant is 12).  And his Assist% is 12.6 for his career (and 19 for the current season).  He's recognized as a defender, can attack the rim off the dribble and is up to .347 from three (.438 from the corner, but the sample is small).  He also fits the mold of DJJ, Exum and Green in that he doesn't have to score to contribute (important on a team with Luka and Kyrie).  I also think he can play next to OMax when the time comes.

The clever part of this is THJ/Hardy is a match for Avdija/Gafford and Washington has a TPE that GWill (or Holmes) would fit into.  So, you are reducing salary next season ($29mm for Avdija/Gafford vs. $31mm for the outgoing) or you've created a TPE that you can use that is similar to the MLE but wouldn't hard cap you if you use it (I think) in case you can't keep DJJ.

The ball movement here would be incredible and the age of Avdija fits in well with Green, Lively and OMax for when Kyrie has aged out.  I would give up a lot to make that happen.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Ya I think you could have either of Green or Exum start alongside Luka and Kyrie and have the other come off the bench and nothing about the core concept really changes.  I see both of them playing around the same number of minutes and both closing at times depending on the matchup/flow of the game.

I think whoever they move for a PF, if that indeed happens, we'll tell us exactly what the FO thinks of OMax.  If a young piece is being requested in a trade that we want to make I see it as shopping GWill/Hardy together or Hardaway/OMax together to keep some sort of roster balance (with Holmes as additional salary to add if needed).

I'm taking the mindset of this roster can be in a great place come the start of next season, my one concern is the FO thinking they can do it all this trade deadline and gutting everything before it even got off the ground but the news coming out of Shams today made me hopeful that we aren't going to be overspending this month.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, Ideally NewPF can create for themselves and others and hit a 3 (think Bojan/Kuzma/Grant), but also defend and rebound (think Not Bojan/Kuzma/Grant).  We've talked about a ton of names and no one who is available seems to fit the bill.  A backup C is another position where there is disagreement about.  Do we run 48 minutes of a similar skill set or do we need a differentiated skill set (a better and healthy Maxi).  

A couple of unrelated things here. I think people forget how raw Pascal S. was his rookie year, and at the risk of a bad comparison, PS's stats were no better than Omax then. He played 15 mpg, and never shot but a few 3-ps for a spectacular .143 average. I bring this up, because I think (hope) that the Mavs see their future PF in Omax - even if he's not ready for prime-time now. He's the rebounder, assists, and dirty work guy you want in the lineup. Even his ball-handling is pretty good. His outside shooting needs work, but I see no reason to doubt that will happen. He's just not ready now though.

I doubt Omax will be ready for starter minutes early next season, so I agree we still need an upgrade at PF now. But this idea that we need to be patient and wait for the big fish borders on incompetence to me. There are no perfect candidates. That's why it's called an "upgrade." You take a shot - like the Grant Williams acquisition - for just that reason. GWill was seen as an upgrade. Maybe he's not quite what we hoped, but even if he fails to perform he's completely tradeable. We took a shot with DJJ, and he performed like a champ. You can never be 100% sure you're going to get the right guy until he's in the lineup. Waiting for the perfect starter is not a good game plan in my opinion.

If Pascal's asking price is too steep, I completely understand that from the FO perspective. I can imagine that. Maybe Toronto wanted Omax and a FRP among other things. I probably wouldn't do that either. But I do think it's a good idea to shuffle the deck within reason. 

I get the feeling this FO is more aggressive at finding players and working the phones. I hope that's the case. I would hate to see Free Agency fly by without a stab at a big man (or two). I think you would do a disservice to the players and fans by standing pat with this lineup when it's obvious there's a glaring need.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here is an idea that I think is clever and fits the NewPF and NewBackupC theory...

I think Gafford at $12mm is a decent combination of cost and skill behind Lively and you haven't paid him so much that you question Lively's status as #1.  

I suspect the trickier one for most here will be Avdija.  His D-Reb% is a surprising 20.8 for his career (J. Grant is 12).  And his Assist% is 12.6 for his career (and 19 for the current season).  He's recognized as a defender, can attack the rim off the dribble and is up to .347 from three (.438 from the corner, but the sample is small).  He also fits the mold of DJJ, Exum and Green in that he doesn't have to score to contribute (important on a team with Luka and Kyrie).  I also think he can play next to OMax when the time comes.

The clever part of this is THJ/Hardy is a match for Avdija/Gafford and Washington has a TPE that GWill (or Holmes) would fit into.  So, you are reducing salary next season ($29mm for Avdija/Gafford vs. $31mm for the outgoing) or you've created a TPE that you can use that is similar to the MLE but wouldn't hard cap you if you use it (I think) in case you can't keep DJJ.

The ball movement here would be incredible and the age of Avdija fits in well with Green, Lively and OMax for when Kyrie has aged out.  I would give up a lot to make that happen.

Thats a trade I consider tossing in an unprotected first for.  But why does Washington do it?  Why would they send out young cost controlled assets?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 08:11 PM)mvossman Wrote: Thats a trade I consider tossing in an unprotected first for.  But why does Washington do it?  Why would they send out young cost controlled assets?

Yeah, it would take the unprotected 2027.  Maybe more.

Or, we can trade for Kelly Olynyk.  He plays both PF and C.  Problem solved.
Like Reply
Reporting on Sacramento’s offer for Siakam says it was based around Barnes and draft compensation.  It would have taken another salary (probably Huerter).  First pick Sacramento can deal is 2026.

Is that really that different than THJ/GWill and 2027 (if we were willing to do that)?  Siakam’ s unwillingness to stay in Sacramento this summer reportedly killed the deal for the Kings.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 09:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, it would take the unprotected 2027.  Maybe more.

Or, we can trade for Kelly Olynyk.  He plays both PF and C.  Problem solved.

Don't really see Olynyk as a solution to all our problems, but I do see value there.  Wonder what he would cost?  Holmes + Hardy?  Makes room for DJJ as well.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 10:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: Don't really see Olynyk as a solution to all our problems, but I do see value there.  Wonder what he would cost?  Holmes + Hardy?  Makes room for DJJ as well.

I’m not sure I see Utah valuing Hardy with Sexton and Clarkson.  Sexton has been killing it lately.  Maybe Sexton gets traded and opens up a need for Hardy.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here is an idea that I think is clever and fits the NewPF and NewBackupC theory...

Assuming we're giving up our 2027 1st round pick in this deal, I still don't think it would be fair for Washington.  Gafford is worth a 1st by himself.  Avdija is a better player than Grant Williams.  Jaden Hardy probably isn't a great fit there.  They have several shooting guards already with Coulibaly as the most promising player on their roster and Jordan Poole as one of their highest paid players.  

Avdija and Gafford would both be good targets for us.  I just don't think we have the assets for both.  

I think a Richaun Holmes and a 1st for Gafford is probably the most realistic deal.  I'd make that personally but I don't think many others on the board would.

I also would love to exchange Grant Williams for Avdija. I think that might also cost a 1st round pick. Avdija has been much improved this season. Grant Williams has been disappointing.
Like Reply
With Ja Morant out for the season, the Grizzlies might consider tanking the rest of the year.  One interesting player in their rotation who we could use is Santi Aldama.  He is 6'11 and pretty skilled for a big.  He's shooting 34 percent from three but the form looks good and there is potential to improve there.  He's already solid defensively and rebounds fairly well.  He's probably more of a PF than a center.  I think he would work well here.   I haven't seen him mentioned on this board as a target.  

The deal would be Jaden Hardy for Santi Aldama.  We add our Maxi replacement and the Grizzlies add a young guy who can score.  Aldama would look good on the second unit with DP but could also start against bigger teams.

He might be available as Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke will be their centers next season. JJJ is one of their best players and David Roddy plays the same position as Aldama. I think this would work.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 11:47 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: With Ja Morant out for the season, the Grizzlies might consider tanking the rest of the year.  One interesting player in their rotation who we could use is Santi Aldama.  He is 6'11 and pretty skilled for a big.  He's shooting 34 percent from three but the form looks good and there is potential to improve there.  He's already solid defensively and rebounds fairly well.  He's probably more of a PF than a center.  I think he would work well here.   I haven't seen him mentioned on this board as a target.  

The deal would be Jaden Hardy for Santi Aldama.  We add our Maxi replacement and the Grizzlies add a young guy who can score.  Aldama would look good on the second unit with DP but could also start against bigger teams.

He might be available as Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke will be their centers next season. JJJ is one of their best players and David Roddy plays the same position as Aldama. I think this would work.

I like the find, but there are still some folks who find it distasteful to trade within conference much less division. Not sure how Memphis would view this deal within those parameters. From my perspective, I would find it likely Memphis would have to be tipped outrageously to do business with Dallas 1 to 1.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 09:59 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Reporting on Sacramento’s offer for Siakam says it was based around Barnes and draft compensation.  It would have taken another salary (probably Huerter).  First pick Sacramento can deal is 2026.

Is that really that different than THJ/GWill and 2027 (if we were willing to do that)?  Siakam’ s unwillingness to stay in Sacramento this summer reportedly killed the deal for the Kings.

Could it be understood that Toronto accepted this offer?

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that Toronto wanted more (Murray) and Sacramento went out because they were unwilling to discuss more because of the uncertainty.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, Ideally NewPF can create for themselves and others and hit a 3 (think Bojan/Kuzma/Grant), but also defend and rebound (think Not Bojan/Kuzma/Grant).  We've talked about a ton of names and no one who is available seems to fit the bill.  A backup C is another position where there is disagreement about.  Do we run 48 minutes of a similar skill set or do we need a differentiated skill set (a better and healthy Maxi).  

The person you are describing is Pascal Siakam. 

Ability to create for themselves? Check. 

Ability to hit a 3? Back when Pascal had an actual point guard setting him up, and another star to take the bulk pressure, he was a solid 3pt shooter. 21-22 he shot 36.5% on catch and shoot 3s. 37.4% if he was wide open. This trend holds in 20-21, 19-20, and 18-19 (C&S numbers respectively for the years: 31.3% 36.1%, 38.1%). I am confident that Pascal's looks at 3 will raise his percentages significantly playing next to Kyrie and Luka. Case in point DJJ. 

Ability to play defense and be a versatile defender? Check. Pascal is 6'8 230lbs. He can move his feet like DFS to keep up with shifty guards and is big enough to bother centers. His defensive acumen is well known at this point, and although he isn't a lockdown defender by any means, he certainly fits the mold of the type of forward Kidd likes in his scheme. He's big enough to play a small ball 5 and shifty enough to stop an opposing teams 2-guard. 

Ability to rebound? Check. He's a career 6.5rpg guy. Last 5 years that's closer to 8rpg. 

I don't think we have to overthink this. Pascal has been on the list of most ideal players we've wanted next to Luka for the last 3 years. He checks all the boxes. His shooting is spotty, but his self creation (AND efficiency) cancels that out. My only concern is his desire for a max deal and perhaps want to be next to Embiid. Mavs could theoretically offer 5/249 this summer. Any other team's max is 4/185. That's a significant difference. Even 5/220 blows any other offer out the water and still keeps Pascal making close to what both Luka and Kyrie are making annually. 

If we let it get to the summer, the Mavs have no leverage. Everything is on the table besides the core you laid out of Luka, Kyrie, Lively Green, Exum, Omax, DJJ core to me. I'd ideally try and keep Grant, but if they're not apart of the core they are available.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Knutsen, omahen
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 03:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think we have to overthink this. Pascal has been on the list of most ideal players we've wanted next to Luka for the last 3 years. He checks all the boxes. His shooting is spotty, but his self creation (AND efficiency) cancels that out. My only concern is his desire for a max deal and perhaps want to be next to Embiid. Mavs could theoretically offer 5/249 this summer. Any other team's max is 4/185. That's a significant difference. Even 5/220 blows any other offer out the water and still keeps Pascal making close to what both Luka and Kyrie are making annually. 

If we let it get to the summer, the Mavs have no leverage. Everything is on the table besides the core you laid out of Luka, Kyrie, Lively Green, Exum, Omax, DJJ core to me. I'd ideally try and keep Grant, but if they're not apart of the core they are available.

This is a very good point that was sort of forgotten in discussions. Teams trading for him can offer him more money than anyone else. I like Mavs checked both on Siakam and Grant. These are the type of players we should be imho targeting. 

At this point, I have very little interest in the proposed Gafford/Avdija package. Gafford could be a nice back-up center, no objections there. But Avdija I just don't see as an upgrade over GW. He does some things better and is worse doing other things. I am not interested in such solutions, especially when the pick is involved. Aim big or nothing, imho.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 01:26 AM)omahen Wrote: Could it be understood that Toronto accepted this offer?

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that Toronto wanted more (Murray) and Sacramento went out because they were unwilling to discuss more because of the uncertainty.

Initially it was assumed that Masai wanted more (Murray) and then talks went cold. But since, local Sac reporters said that Pascal killed the deal by saying he wouldn't resign in Sacramento in the summer.  

They also said that their package was based around Barnes and picks. 

THJ+GWill+2027 is a similar offer to Barnes+Heurter+2026 

Of course this is all conjecture. Maybe Masai overplayed his hand and asked for the farm from Sac and that killed the deal. Who knows?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I understand a deal for that good two way wing might not happen. Assets are limited at TDL, Siakam might not want to be in Dallas, Mavs could still get outbid in the summer. However, spending the assets on meh options would certainly kill any possibility of such a deal to happen. My plan would be to either try for the likes of Siakam or Grant at TDL or wait till summer. If there is nothing on the table then, I might start looking at minor options. I am also not prepared to give up on GW so soon.

Stein mentioned that Siakam is not primary Mavs target (Mavs interest overstated), but didn't say who their primary target is. Stein is also surprisingly quiet regarding Mavs lately. Shams later mentioned Mavs did their due dilligence on Grant. Is it possible he was the primary target? In any case, there is still a month before TDL and things will be fluid. I really hope one of those two guys happens. If it does, I would expect from Mavs to become a serious threat and anything less would be dissapointing.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 03:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The person you are describing is Pascal Siakam. 

Ability to create for themselves? Check. 

Ability to hit a 3? Back when Pascal had an actual point guard setting him up, and another star to take the bulk pressure, he was a solid 3pt shooter. 21-22 he shot 36.5% on catch and shoot 3s. 37.4% if he was wide open. This trend holds in 20-21, 19-20, and 18-19 (C&S numbers respectively for the years: 31.3% 36.1%, 38.1%). I am confident that Pascal's looks at 3 will raise his percentages significantly playing next to Kyrie and Luka. Case in point DJJ. 

Ability to play defense and be a versatile defender? Check. Pascal is 6'8 230lbs. He can move his feet like DFS to keep up with shifty guards and is big enough to bother centers. His defensive acumen is well known at this point, and although he isn't a lockdown defender by any means, he certainly fits the mold of the type of forward Kidd likes in his scheme. He's big enough to play a small ball 5 and shifty enough to stop an opposing teams 2-guard. 

Ability to rebound? Check. He's a career 6.5rpg guy. Last 5 years that's closer to 8rpg. 

I don't think we have to overthink this. Pascal has been on the list of most ideal players we've wanted next to Luka for the last 3 years. He checks all the boxes. His shooting is spotty, but his self creation (AND efficiency) cancels that out. My only concern is his desire for a max deal and perhaps want to be next to Embiid. Mavs could theoretically offer 5/249 this summer. Any other team's max is 4/185. That's a significant difference. Even 5/220 blows any other offer out the water and still keeps Pascal making close to what both Luka and Kyrie are making annually. 

Completely agree - I was thinking the same, Dan perfectly describes Siakam.

Toronto won’t deal him until much closer to the deadline to get the best possible return. Maybe a „hype-team“ like the Lakers or Warriors or Heat gets desperate trying to save their season and offers them much more than they could get now. 

I‘m sure we‘ll have our best reasonable offer ready, because Kyrie is turning 32 years old and Luka needs to win in the postseason again soon so that he doesn’t even start to think about leaving. So if there‘s a chance to become a real contender this season like a good deal for Siakam would we‘re surely in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 10:29 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Assuming we're giving up our 2027 1st round pick in this deal, I still don't think it would be fair for Washington.  Gafford is worth a 1st by himself.  Avdija is a better player than Grant Williams.  Jaden Hardy probably isn't a great fit there.  They have several shooting guards already with Coulibaly as the most promising player on their roster and Jordan Poole as one of their highest paid players.  

Avdija and Gafford would both be good targets for us.  I just don't think we have the assets for both.  

I think a Richaun Holmes and a 1st for Gafford is probably the most realistic deal.  I'd make that personally but I don't think many others on the board would.

I also would love to exchange Grant Williams for Avdija.  I think that might also cost a 1st round pick.  Avdija has been much improved this season.  Grant Williams has been disappointing.

That's why Boston let him walk. He started out playing like his hair was on fire, now you hardly hear a peep outta him, and he comes off the bench. He's not worth his contract IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply