Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-08-2024, 02:48 PM)omahen Wrote: Just a final note - If Siakam would be willing to sign that 2 year extension with whoever is willing to trade for him, there would be 10 teams waiting in line and price would go way above what Mavs have to offer. The only thing that Mavs can consider Siakam is that he is not willing to do that. You can basically pay a lot of assets but save on salary or you can pay the salary and save assets. I think Mavs can afford to pay the salary and still have plenty of cap left to build a solid team. I think that is far better for them and their flexibility than spending all assets on one guy. Or spending similar assets on lesser guys on lower salaries. Especially since they have Exum and Lively as very cheap playoff rotation players locked for next season.

Seems like Siakam is taking one of two possible angles:

1. His list of acceptable teams is really, really short. Like maybe just one or two. But he’s not stating his preference for PR reasons?? Or something else?

2. He’s trying to drive his current trade value down in order to retain assets of the acquiring team. Wouldn’t you rather play on a team with several serviceable players, instead of a team that was gutted in order to trade for you?
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 02:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Only reason we could trade for him or PJ is their decreased value. Swoop in and buy low. This is where legendary GMs are born.

[Image: Wolf-of-Wall-Street-009.jpg]

Legendary GMs are born if the deal actually works, not just because they traded for a trashy player when his value is low. Because there is also a possibility that that trashy player will remain just as trashy as he was with previous team. I think Mavs are one move away but it has to be the right move. Wrong move might result in the end of this era in a couple of years, if not sooner. They don't have much room for mistakes. That is why I would prefer as sure an option as possible, if I was the Mavs GM.
Like Reply
Situation in GS is cooked fellas. Value to be extracted. Don't be too scared to seize the moment.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 02:58 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Seems like Siakam is taking one of two possible angles:

1. His list of acceptable teams is really, really short. Like maybe just one or two. But he’s not stating his preference for PR reasons?? Or something else?

2. He’s trying to drive his current trade value down in order to retain assets of the acquiring team. Wouldn’t you rather play on a team with several serviceable players, instead of a team that was gutted in order to trade for you?

Both options are possible, although I think option 2 is basically a consequence of option 1. As to option 1 - a smart person always leaves a bit of an door open, even if he has a prefered scenario. This is how you keep your leverage. So not promising you will resign for certain if you don't really mean it, but also not saying, there is only one option you want to happen.

There are rumors that he wants to be in Philly (who has max cap space in the summer) and Philly is not eager to break a bank for a guy they can just sign in the summer. But Siakam might prefer to leave his options a bit open, just in case there is a change of temperature in Philly for whatever reason and they decide to offer less than max. Harden might have a thing or two to say about that.

Edit: official Siakam statement for the summer is, he wants to have all options opened. Some (many?) read that as "I want to be in Philly". That is why no one will offer a fortune and that is also why someone might offer a good enough package in hope he will resign with them afterall. Siakam himself looks to be comfortable waiting till summer to lock his final destination.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 03:07 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Situation in GS is cooked fellas. Value to be extracted. Don't be too scared to seize the moment.

Or current value being exposed.  Exum has been better as a starting 3 than Wiggins has on both sides of the floor.  No need to rock the boat for that guy.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 02:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Only reason we could trade for him or PJ is their decreased value. Swoop in and buy low. This is where legendary GMs are born.

[Image: Wolf-of-Wall-Street-009.jpg]

Sure. 

But, with Wiggins, he was an underachieving, losing player for years, then he lands in GS near the end of their peak. Against all odds, they were able to squeeze a couple of years of winning play out of him and now he's back to being an underachieving, losing player. 

Gross.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Even I was not 100% sure about trading for Wiggins, but seeing how many are against it is signaling mean reversion.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 03:07 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Situation in GS is cooked fellas. Value to be extracted. Don't be too scared to seize the moment.

I can be talked into Kuminga and/or Draymond. 

Wiggins is a hard no.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 03:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can be talked into Kuminga and/or Draymond. 

Wiggins is a hard no.

They cost more

Anyways, the Wiggins part is whatever. The main thing I want is PJ + Richards.
Like Reply
Not wanting to be flippant about a serious subject but I think it's clear that mental health issues may be currently derailing Wiggins career. There was never an understanding as to why Wiggins stepped away from the team for so long last year and he's looked like a shell of himself since returning. I half expect Wiggins to retire more than him ever play for another team to be honest.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 03:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can be talked into Kuminga and/or Draymond. 

Wiggins is a hard no.

With that contract, absolutely not on Wiggins. It would have to be some kind of crazy salary dump on their part where we get Kuminga, Jackson-Davis, Podziemski as the reward for taking on Wiggins. That won't happen, so no way to Wiggins.

Contract is the same reason i'm out on Draymond.  I dont mind the crazy, actually this team needs that (DeShawn Stevenson).  But i'm not sure Draymond can stick in the league much longer. He's another bad incident away from a longterm ban. But his play is dropping too. Stay away from him also.

Kuminga? I want on this team very badly.
Like Reply
According to Reddit, Wiggins dad has been sick since he took that leave last year. He’s completely checked out right now and one of the worst players in the league.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 10:30 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Shams just said on FanDuel TV that the Mavs have done their due diligence on both Siakam and Jerami Grant and determined the price tags were too high for them but still determined to upgrade PF.

I heard Mort Jenson today talking about Grant.  He thinks Portland should sell if they can get an expiring and a pick (and not necessarily a good pick).  

His point is Grant turns 30 soon.  He's a good player being paid like a great player and Portland runs the risk of being stuck with him.  Imagine two years from now and he's 32 and owed $70 million for the final two years and you are Portland and Sharpe's big dollar extension kicks in in a few months and Scoot is right behind him.  You need that $70mm off the books, but Grant is much harder to move at that point.  It doesn't have to happen by the TDL, but there is probably a point where Grant moves at a reasonable price.

One thing about guys in the price range of Grant or Kuzma is if you send out THJ and one of your $12mm guys, you drop 24/25 salary and help your effort to keep DJJ.  In some ways, whatever the cost in draft equity such a deal might cost is helping you with two spots, not just the newly acquired guy.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Hawks, Pacers and Mavericks remain interested in trading for Pascal Siakam, per @ShamsCharania.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 04:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Hawks, Pacers and Mavericks remain interested in trading for Pascal Siakam, per @ShamsCharania.

Sounds like Siakam’s agent whispering.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 10:30 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Shams just said on FanDuel TV that the Mavs have done their due diligence on both Siakam and Jerami Grant and determined the price tags were too high for them but still determined to upgrade PF.

It is interest the few rumors we have heard that Dallas is looking to upgrade PF.   I was a get Grant Williams here, he would be perfect for us this summer.    Dallas has a lot of bodies.  An extra PF would be another body.  Makes me think they are offering a package with Grant and something for an upgrade.   

Maxi doesn't have value.   Holmes is negative at this time.   They would move OMAX but his value is not what it will be and I bet they view him as a future big piece down the road.   DJJ is on a minimum expiring.   Exum and Green both fit the prototypes of what you want around Luka and Kyrie.  That leaves Grant.   Seeing him get 3rd guy off the bench minutes, makes me wonder what happens when everyone is healthy.

Like Grant and two seconds for DFS or Stewart.   Just maybe a better fit (not sure about Stewart) while keeping flexibility for the summer.   Not sure that is enough for either though.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 04:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: That leaves Grant.

It also leaves THJ though.  I think it will be one of the two that gets moved (if anyone does) but I would think that the plan might be to create a bench of Green/GWill/backup center (miracle would be Maxi getting back into this role).

A playoff rotation of 
Luka
Kyrie
Exum
player x
Lively

Green
GWill
backup center

Could be a very formidable roster and something that could be achieved by next playoffs.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 05:12 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: It also leaves THJ though.  I think it will be one of the two that gets moved (if anyone does) but I would think that the plan might be to create a bench of Green/GWill/backup center (miracle would be Maxi getting back into this role).

A playoff rotation of 
Luka
Kyrie
Exum
player x
Lively

Green
GWill
backup center

Could be a very formidable roster and something that could be achieved by next playoffs.

You forgot DJJ.  And that's a very offensively timid second unit.
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 05:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: You forgot DJJ.  And that's a very offensively timid second unit.

Ya the shooting may be an issue.  Seth is still under contract but I think keeping two of Kyrie/Luka/Exum on the floor should give us enough offense.

I'm also operating under the assumption that DJJ is gone next year.  That list is basically what I'm envisioning for next season and I'm just not going to get my hopes up on keeping DJJ around based on the current situation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 05:12 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: It also leaves THJ though.  I think it will be one of the two that gets moved (if anyone does) but I would think that the plan might be to create a bench of Green/GWill/backup center (miracle would be Maxi getting back into this role).

A playoff rotation of 
Luka
Kyrie
Exum
player x
Lively

Green
GWill
backup center

I look at it similarly.  I think Green eventually starts here alongside Luka, Kyrie, Lively and NewPF, but that  is an argument for another day (we are 7-1 when he starts).  You then have NewBackupC along with Exum (guards 1-3), DJJ (guards 2-4) and eventually OMax (Guards 3/4).  The nice thing about NewPF and DJJ is between them and (hopefully) Maxi you don't have to have OMax ready for this season's playoffs.  You can run an 8 man playoff rotation without him.

The bench is light on offense, but we don't platoon.  If NewPF can create (unlike THJ who currently occupies this salary or GWill), then you can keep two of Luka/Kyrie/NewPF on the floor at all times.  You also have Green and Exum who can help with ball handling and distribution.

So, Ideally NewPF can create for themselves and others and hit a 3 (think Bojan/Kuzma/Grant), but also defend and rebound (think Not Bojan/Kuzma/Grant).  We've talked about a ton of names and no one who is available seems to fit the bill.  A backup C is another position where there is disagreement about.  Do we run 48 minutes of a similar skill set or do we need a differentiated skill set (a better and healthy Maxi).  

To me, the guys who aren't necessary to this vision (besides Holmes) are THJ (I think his D and lack of playmaking is really detrimental), GWill (not good enough to start and blocks OMax backup opportunities) and Hardy.  Does anyone else even matter?  I would pay a premium if I could fill NewPF and NewBackupC all at one time as long as I don't have to touch the Luka/Irving/Lively/Green/Exum/DJJ/OMax core.  I'd also give up 2027 unprotected and add swaps if the level of player was high enough.  I know many here want to wait until the summer (or put better...think we have a better shot at accomplishing both this summer).  But, fill those two slots properly...now...and I think we can run with anyone in the playoffs.
Like Reply