Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Is THJ still an interesting player for the Pistons? They offered him a big contract but he resigned with the Mavs.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 03:45 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I'm assuming that Luka asked that Porzingis be traded.  That's where I would assume some blame on Luka.  I think Rick deserves some blame as well for trying to use Porzingis as a decoy and having him just stand in the corner on offense too often.  I agree that the iso and post-ups didn't work well.  I have no doubt that Porzingis is a big reason why Porzingis didn't work out in Dallas.  

My biggest issue with the dynamic though is just how little we acquired when we traded him out.  The logic Cuban provided was that it was better for us to split the salary into two separate players.  That is the stupidest explanation ever provided for one of the stupidest trades in history.  If that was all Porzingis was worth, then we simply should have kept him and tried to rehab him.  

It's difficult to acquire talented players in the NBA.  Sending off Porzingis for less than nothing and letting Brunson walk were both really powerful examples of organizational failure.  

We're so dependent on two minimum salary players this season because of the Porzingis and Brunson catastrophes.

I agree with a lot of this.  I wonder if Rick used KP as a decoy because he refused to set picks for P&R and P&P where he would be most useful?

Has there been any hint that Luka actually asked them to get rid of KP?  I see that as a possibility, but I don't think its definite and I don't believe there has even been a rumor to that effect?  I have a hard time blaming Luka for something I don't know that he did.

I hated that trade as well, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as letting Brunson walk.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 06:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is THJ still an interesting player for the Pistons? They offered him a big contract but he resigned with the Mavs.

Perhaps as a 6th man, especially since Burks has been really bad. And they moved Stewart to bench recently. But they moved him to the bench, because he is a bad PF, he is a center. So if Stewart is a bad PF on the worst team in the league, how can we hope he will be any better with Mavs? But, there was a rumor about Mavs interest in him.

Number 8 in recent Lowe article covers Stewart

Lowe: OKC's open title window, where the Warriors miss Draymond - ESPN
Like Reply
To further elaborate on GSW situation. Wiggins has a bad season, but he can make sense next to Siakam. Draymond also has a bad season (for different reasons), but he makes very little sense next to Siakam. I think even GSW can't afford to trade CP3 expiring deal and just add Siakam salary for next season to an already hugely expensive roster. If CP3 and Kuminga would be outgoing, they would be at roughly 180 mil for next season with 11 players under contract and without Thompson next deal. Unless of course, they are prepared to let Thompson walk.

That is why I think GSW would use Draymond as matching salary in a potential trade for Siakam, seeking a third team to take his deal and send better fitting players to Toronto.
Like Reply
Stein:

- Carter (Orlando) is a player that could be moved
- Atlanta looking to build around Trae and JJ as others have said). Note: it doesn't mean a complete rebuild, as SA controls their picks. It means retool
- Philly is not expected to pursue LaVine or Siakam. 2-way player with playmaking capabilities would represent their ideal target (interest in Murray rumors)
- nothing special on Mavs that he usually covers in more detail than other teams

https://substack.com/inbox/post/140396133
Like Reply
Haynes thinks GSW are the candidate for Siakam, Shams reports about Sacramento.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fnba
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 06:26 PM)omahen Wrote: If Siakam would be going to GSW, there is another player that would make most sense for GSW to head the other way, as it would be very difficult to play him next to Siakam. Of course Toronto would hold very little interest in that guy, especially if Kuminga is also part of the deal. So a third team would most likely be needed.

And here our worries start Smile

btw: Just a day or two ago I saw some opinions about that guys value and at least one FRP was mentioned. Not to take his contract, but pay for him. Don't remember where, but a credible publication.

[Image: sdsds.png?ex=65ab08cf&is=659893cf&hm=3f7...height=676]

We're getting Draymond....aren't we?

I can see why the Mavs would be interested. But adding a severely declining MMA fighter to the team that can't shoot a lick and isn't all that big (although he plays bigger than his height), I just don't get.

Would anyone take this deal if it got us Looney?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 07:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: sdsds.png?ex=65ab08cf&is=659893cf&hm=3f7...height=676]

We're getting Draymond....aren't we?

I can see why the Mavs would be interested. But adding a severely declining MMA fighter to the team that can't shoot a lick and isn't all that big (although he plays bigger than his height), I just don't get.

Would anyone take this deal if it got us Looney?

Sure I would. But I don't see GSW doing it. At all
Like Reply
Golden State is giving up way to much in that deal imo.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 07:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Sure I would. But I don't see GSW doing it. At all

Can also modify it to:

GSW gets: Siakam+Morris

TOR gets: Kuminga, Moody, THJ, Powell

DAL gets: Green+Looney

Without Morris the Mavs are short 423K. Could just waive him if needed. Money wise each teams saves but Dallas goes into the tax. 

I don't want to go into the tax for Green, and honestly with his contract the Mavs need at least 1 first for taking it on.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 07:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can also modify it to:

GSW gets: Siakam+Morris

TOR gets: Kuminga, Moody, THJ, Powell

DAL gets: Green+Looney

Without Morris the Mavs are short 423K. Could just waive him if needed. Money wise each teams saves but Dallas goes into the tax. 

I don't want to go into the tax for Green, and honestly with his contract the Mavs need at least 1 first for taking it on.

I don't see Warriors moving Looney at all, it would create a big hole at centre for them. And as I said before, some think teams would be willing to pay GSW to trade for Green, not the other way around.
Like Reply
All this talk about Siakam could very well be just coming from Toronto trying to pump his value. I am sure a lot of teams would be interested in him. But who would be willing to bet his future on a player that can just walk in the summer? OG was pretty clear that he is interested in NY (although it was reported only after the trade happened). Nothing similar came from Siakam so far. Of course, it could change.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 06:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
After sitting the final 18 minutes of Nuggets loss, Warriors forward Jonathan Kuminga has lost faith in Steve Kerr and no longer believes that Kerr will allow him to reach his full potential, sources say.

Story at @TheAthletic with @anthonyVslater:

If I played for Kerr, I’d be afraid he’d trade me for getting punched in the face by Draymond.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 06:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
After sitting the final 18 minutes of Nuggets loss, Warriors forward Jonathan Kuminga has lost faith in Steve Kerr and no longer believes that Kerr will allow him to reach his full potential, sources say.

Story at @TheAthletic with @anthonyVslater:

So. Who are you going to trust? The guy with nine rings? Or the 21-year-old kid?
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • BoredAssistant, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Josh Green is finishing inside over people and hitting floaters and stuff. He's evolving. Maybe just keep him?
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 09:25 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Josh Green is finishing inside over people and hitting floaters and stuff. He's evolving. Maybe just keep him?

I don’t think most people are trying to get rid of it, it’s just that you have to give up something to get something. I’m fine with keeping Green if that’s the way it works out.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 09:25 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Josh Green is finishing inside over people and hitting floaters and stuff. He's evolving. Maybe just keep him?

I wouldn't want to trade him if the targets were the likes of Tobias Harris or Stewart, and I wouldn't either if the vibe with Siakam is -- he doesn't re-sign.

Note:
Blazers have no rim protection, Josh is doing the smart thing - to attack instead of firing from 3.
If Exum was in this game, I have little doubt he'd have a field day with layups to end up with 20 or more points.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Looks like Sacramento is not that enthusiastic about mortgaging their future for a possible rental.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...37427?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A
Like Reply
Here's my spin on the Siakam to Warriors mock trade series.  This depends upon GS and Toronto considering Wiggins to be a negative contract.

Siakam to the Warriors.

Kuminga and Wiggins to the Mavericks.  Warriors send a future first to Toronto.

THJ, Grant Williams, Richaun Holmes, Seth Curry and our unprotected 2027 1st to the Raptors.  

Golden State adds another star and gets bigger.  

The Mavericks get bigger and more athletic.  

Toronto gets a couple of solid rotation players and a couple of future firsts.  They build around Barnes, IQ, Barrett and Poetl.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 08:48 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So. Who are you going to trust? The guy with nine rings? Or the 21-year-old kid?

Most Warrior fans are on Kuminga and Moodys side. 

Kerr will ride or die with his vets. Klay isn’t the same guy. Wiggins has been awful. Draymond is a crazy person. 

Thats why I think Bob Myers left. He saw this shit coming.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply