Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(11-30-2023, 05:19 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I don’t see why the Warriors would trade us Wiggins for anything on our roster unless they were blowing it up. A third team would be needed.
This. If they are trading him, they’re trading to upgrade the team, not dump him.
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 02:31 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is probably going to be tough to have the best offer and would we really want to use prime assets at this point when next year we would have more?   It would probably be more likely if DFS was expiring but he still has a few years left on his deal.   

I have been wondering if instead of getting a #3 we use our remaining assets for 2 level B type players.   Like Dorian and maybe a 4/5 type player to have a deep and athletic team.  Rather one that is more top heavy.  A lot would determine is what the team thinks Green is and what OMAX will turn into.   If they think OMAX is a starter in the next year, you may not need to use the remaining assets for an all-star level player and instead focus on length and depth.

I like the idea of DFS if he doesn't take a first to acquire. Brooklyn wants shooters. The ideal would be THJ and two seconds for DFS. Some other team could probably beat that, but if not, then I think it's clear the starting lineup would be Kai, Luka, Green, DFS, and Lively, with the first guys off the bench being Exum, Hardy, DJJ, Grant, and Holmes. That's a balanced team that is a clear POA defender away from being in contention - and who knows, maybe Green develops into that guy.
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 05:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This. If they are trading him, they’re trading to upgrade the team, not dump him.

If he keeps playing like he is now, his contract is an albatross. I understand that the Warriors are in a win-now situation, but on the other hand, nearly every team in the league would jump for the chance to get out from under an albatross. I'm more with the posters who are leery of his contract and effort, i.e., it's not so much "What would the Warriors want from us?" so much as "Why would we want him in the first place?"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 05:24 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I like the idea of DFS if he doesn't take a first to acquire.

I’ve seen in several places that they’re asking for two 1sts for DFS, one for O’Neal.
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 06:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’ve seen in several places that they’re asking for two 1sts for DFS, one for O’Neal.

Well, the Mavs 1) don't have two firsts, and 2) are interested. 

I doubt that 1) the Mavs are planning on going out and acquiring another first by trading away live basketball assets, and also 2) that the "asking price" means that they gave up and are currently crying in their beer that they can't get DFS.

DFS isn't worth a first. He's overpaid by the standards of any team that doesn't have his biggest fan as their franchise player. Nico and Lindsay will find a way.

BTW, even the Mavs giving a first for DFS when there are better players who will go for a first would be GMing malpractice. Brooklyn's dreamin'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Jake Weinbach (@JWeinbachNBA)
Jazz All-Star Lauri Markkanen is an interesting name to monitor on the trade market.

If Utah continues to trend downward, there’s a chance that the organization sells high on key veterans to prioritize the long-term future. Markkanen could become a free agent in 2025.

I NEED THE FINNISHER. THROW EVERYTHING AT HIM.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 09:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: DFS isn't worth a first. 

BRK thinks he is worth TWO firsts.

(11-30-2023, 09:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jake Weinbach (@JWeinbachNBA)
Jazz All-Star Lauri Markkanen is an interesting name to monitor on the trade market.

If Utah continues to trend downward, there’s a chance that the organization sells high on key veterans to prioritize the long-term future. Markkanen could become a free agent in 2025.

I could handle this. 

He obviously adds a whole new dimension to the front court, offensively. How's his defense and rebounding?
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 10:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BRK thinks he is worth TWO firsts.

I could handle this. 

He obviously adds a whole new dimension to the front court, offensively. How's his defense and rebounding?
Last year, he and Kessler were the engine that made their defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 09:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jake Weinbach (@JWeinbachNBA)

I think we better hope he makes it to the summer…speaking of someone who would require multiple firsts.  I don’t think we have the draft capital to make a deal for LM right now. BTW, BS on 2 firsts for DFS
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 10:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Last year, he and Kessler were the engine that made their defense.

I was not under the impression that LM was a plus defender.  He has become a force offensively, but not many 7 footers who can't protect the rim are plus defenders.  He is a good rebounder for a PF.

(11-30-2023, 10:35 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we better hope he makes it to the summer…speaking of someone who would require multiple firsts.  I don’t think we have the draft capital to make a deal for LM right now.  BTW, BS on 2 firsts for DFS

I'm a huge Dorian fan, but I agree that nobody is going to pay two firsts for him.  It would be great to have him back, but I don't think I would pay a first to do it.
Like Reply
Stein says in his chat he doesn't think there is anything on Mavs interest in DFS.

In my opinion, DFS could be the final piece for a contender who could be willing to pay a FRP and perhaps a bit more. He is imho not the final piece Mavs need to become a serious contender.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 10:35 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we better hope he makes it to the summer…speaking of someone who would require multiple firsts.  I don’t think we have the draft capital to make a deal for LM right now.   

Another note on LM (in case this gets any louder).  He's another of those guys who probably won't extend even under the new 140% rule.  An extension off of an $18mm salary is only in the $25mm range.  Utah is well under the cap next summer and can do what Sacramento did with Sabonis (renegotiate and extend).  Problem solved.

If for some reason they don't do that, then it is either risk UFA the next summer or cash him in at the best possible time.  It is certainly possible to see why Utah might cash him in.  He's not exactly an iron man and while he is a 25/9 guy on efficient shooting, is he really a max or super-max guy?  Is he the star to build your franchise around or the guy you want to play alongside your star?  How about his timeline compared to a longer term rebuild.  He, Lively and Luka would be an interesting Big-3 once Kyrie starts to fade.

We are coming up on Nico's 20 game evaluation period.  I find it interesting that Holmes is finally getting some run (or is he getting some evaluation time).  I've questioned whether (for the current season) the bigger need is to replace Powell/Holmes behind Lively or to replace one of Green/DJJ/GWill in the top 8.  I get that if you want to add a third star that he's probably a big wing (I've long said this team will be trouble if we have someone who pushes GWill to the bench).  But for this season's playoff run and given the assets we have, I still like putting a better big behind Lively.

Note also the move of Green to the starting lineup just ahead of the 20 game mark.  It looked good against Houston.  When is the last time we got out to a 9 point lead in the first 7 minutes.  Among the things I like about this is DJJ off the bench with THJ and one of our stars gives us more length/size than Green with THJ and one of our stars (Powell, THJ, Green and Kyrie lineups are a bad idea).  Don't know if people heard Kidd talking about Green in a recent post game.  Kidd doesn't place much, if any, value on Green scoring.  In fact, he said Green's best game was probably the Washington game.  If you don't recall, that was zero points and 4 boards on 0/4 shooting.  But, he was +12 and active in a 13 point win.  He's in the lineup to defend and disrupt and move the ball and keep defenders honest.  I think him starting and how well (or not) Holmes plays the next week plus will be interesting to watch.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL, michaeltex, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-01-2023, 09:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Another note on LM (in case this gets any louder).  He's another of those guys who probably won't extend even under the new 140% rule.  An extension off of an $18mm salary is only in the $25mm range.  Utah is well under the cap next summer and can do what Sacramento did with Sabonis (renegotiate and extend).  Problem solved.

If for some reason they don't do that, then it is either risk UFA the next summer or cash him in at the best possible time.  It is certainly possible to see why Utah might cash him in.  He's not exactly an iron man and while he is a 25/9 guy on efficient shooting, is he really a max or super-max guy?  Is he the star to build your franchise around or the guy you want to play alongside your star?  How about his timeline compared to a longer term rebuild.  He, Lively and Luka would be an interesting Big-3 once Kyrie starts to fade.

We are coming up on Nico's 20 game evaluation period.  I find it interesting that Holmes is finally getting some run (or is he getting some evaluation time).  I've questioned whether (for the current season) the bigger need is to replace Powell/Holmes behind Lively or to replace one of Green/DJJ/GWill in the top 8.  I get that if you want to add a third star that he's probably a big wing (I've long said this team will be trouble if we have someone who pushes GWill to the bench).  But for this season's playoff run and given the assets we have, I still like putting a better big behind Lively.

Note also the move of Green to the starting lineup just ahead of the 20 game mark.  It looked good against Houston.  When is the last time we got out to a 9 point lead in the first 7 minutes.  Among the things I like about this is DJJ off the bench with THJ and one of our stars gives us more length/size than Green with THJ and one of our stars (Powell, THJ, Green and Kyrie lineups are a bad idea).  Don't know if people heard Kidd talking about Green in a recent post game.  Kidd doesn't place much, if any, value on Green scoring.  In fact, he said Green's best game was probably the Washington game.  If you don't recall, that was zero points and 4 boards on 0/4 shooting.  But, he was +12 and active in a 13 point win.  He's in the lineup to defend and disrupt and move the ball and keep defenders honest.  I think him starting and how well (or not) Holmes plays the next week plus will be interesting to watch.

Agree on the lineup changes.  Right now I see a 9 man rotation:

Starters:  Lively/Williams/Luka/Green/Kyrie
2nd Unit:  Holmes/DJJ/Timmy/Exum

One of Luka/Kyrie plays with the second unit and Timmy replaces the other.  

This would allow you to keep 3 "defenders" on the court at all times as Iztok described in his latest article.  The exception being that you would have to consider Holmes a "defender".  Hopefully Kidd gives him an extended tryout as the primary backup and we see if he can handle it.  There is also the Maxi wildcard.  With some combination of Holmes being decent and Maxi coming back healthy and showing that he is not completely washed, then I think this team will probably stand pat at the TDL unless some great move materializes.  

LM would clearly be an offseason discussion as we don't have the assets for that right now.  I fall under the camp that you would be paying too much for his offense when what you really need is defense.  Our focus should be on an elite defender who does something on offense, rather than another elite offensive player that is ok defensively.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
(11-30-2023, 09:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Well, the Mavs 1) don't have two firsts, and 2) are interested. 

I doubt that 1) the Mavs are planning on going out and acquiring another first by trading away live basketball assets, and also 2) that the "asking price" means that they gave up and are currently crying in their beer that they can't get DFS.

DFS isn't worth a first. He's overpaid by the standards of any team that doesn't have his biggest fan as their franchise player. Nico and Lindsay will find a way.

BTW, even the Mavs giving a first for DFS when there are better players who will go for a first would be GMing malpractice. Brooklyn's dreamin'.

I agree that Dorian may not be worth a first to the Mavs but to a contender who is truly one piece away he absolutely would be.  Dorian is quietly having the best year of his career in Brooklyn after his worst statistically season since his rookie year but they way we've reworked the roster he would be one of the oldest players in our rotation if he came back and he wouldn't be enough to put us over the top so for that reason it wouldn't make sense for us at all.  It's the same reason I'd rather not go after Jerami Grant honestly although I do think he's a better player than Dorian.  The majority of our rotation is still in their mid twenties and while those are the toughest players to acquire, that would certainly be the preference I think.

RE: Mavs aren't planning acquiring another first.  I do think there's a real chance here to use someone else's first in a three team trade so that they can save their own.  Is Hardaway equal value to Gary Harris and one of the Magic's lesser first round picks?  I think so but that package means nothing to us.  If we would be able to leverage Hardaway that way I think it opens up a lot of doors for us in the immediate future while also allowing us to really go shopping hard this offseason.

I'm holding onto my dream of Hardaway/Harris + pick/PJ Washington 3 way swap.  Having three firsts and Holmes' expiring this offseason would allow us to be really flexible finding additional upgrades and potentially even get into the draft if there's someone we like (assuming we convey the pick that is).
Like Reply
I like DFS, but he does not make us a legit contender this year. Maybe you are talking a top 4 seed and that could be possible, but we aren't winning a championship this season just by adding DFS. I'm not against the move, but we are a couple of moves away from being a team that can actually win it all.
Like Reply
I don't know folks, haven't we been clamoring for size at the wing position? Doesn't DFS bring exactly that, coupled with tenacious D and already knows how to play with this team?

DFS would be a fantastic target.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-01-2023, 02:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't know folks, haven't we been clamoring for size at the wing position? Doesn't DFS bring exactly that, coupled with tenacious D and already knows how to play with this team?

DFS would be a fantastic target.

He would make a lot of sense in a lot of ways, but the asking price is crazy high right now, and it seems like he had lost a step defensively.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL
Like Reply
December 1st, about 5 weeks into the season. Is it too early to ID buyers and sellers ahead of the TDL?

Possible sellers

DET 2-17 (including 0-for-November)
SAS 3-15 (unlikely, IMO)
WSH 3-15 (anything worth selling?)
MEM 4-13 (waiting out Morant suspension, unlikely)
CHI 6-14 (reports sure sound like it)
UTA 6-13 (who knows the mind of Ainge)
POR 6-12 (busy offseason, still gelling?)
CHA 6-11 (Beats me)

Then there are a bunch of teams that are within one game of 0.500 and in danger of getting stuck in the mediocrity loop.

Buyers are the top 13 teams, BOS (14-4) down to the Lakers (11-9), although the Lakers could be sellers if AD has another season-ending injury.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Personally, I don't think this is a year for a big Mavs deadline deal. Maybe a small one, but I think the best thing they can do is to let the team gel and mesh a bit this season, get them through at least one playoff series (hopefully two) and then go into the summer with a much better idea of who the team is.

Constant turnover is the worst thing in sports.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-01-2023, 04:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Personally, I don't think this is a year for a big Mavs deadline deal. Maybe a small one, but I think the best thing they can do is to let the team gel and mesh a bit this season, get them through at least one playoff series (hopefully two) and then go into the summer with a much better idea of who the team is.

Constant turnover is the worst thing in sports.

OG would be tempting but there's gotta be other teams who could beat our best offer 
Otherwise I'm not too eager to burn assets
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply