Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Goga 10/10 with 5 blks, 2asts +27 in start against the Lakers. 

Why do the Mavs not like free things. Undecided

LeBron´s push for 40k and the play-in continues.  Big Grin
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 09:32 AM)mvossman Wrote: I was definitely a member, but in two games I have gone from complaining about him starting to wondering how we will hold on to him.  As Dan mentioned, we will have exceptions available and hopefully this team will show enough to warrant going over tax next season.

If he keeps playing like this, I would be happy with both.  Based on what little we have seen, I am not sure OMax is going to be fully ready by next season.  He might be a longer term project.

Omax is definitely a project. Hope he pans out, but I haven't seen anything in the pre-season that would make me think otherwise.
Like Reply
(11-04-2023, 04:46 PM)F Gump Wrote: Goodness, I hope that is NOT the type of player the Mavs are hoping to get.

Seems to me like "old" and "sucky defense" are BOTH disqualifiers, and the exact opposite, for what they need and should be wanting.

I just think he is good (maybe real good, but that is tough to determine with the bad team he plays for) and could help now.   I just don't see a lot of options at this time with no real expirings and limited first round picks until this offseason.   Bojan would be a nice piece for the next year or two as we await a move where we can pair expirings and multiple firsts if that player becomes available.    It is probably moot though.  I would expect Detroit could get a better offer than what I would be willing to give up.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WheelerJaylen/status...3512354890

Jimmy Butler shouts out LUKA, while shooting some mini hoops. Definitely nothing, but also it could be something huge!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1...9278581982

MacMahon says “Luka asked them to get him a veteran big this summer.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:03 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1...9278581982

MacMahon says “Luka asked them to get him a veteran big this summer.”

Technically they did. He's going to have to be more specific next time.

Thank God Lively was ready to go.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:27 AM)loki Wrote:
Technically they did. He's going to have to be more specific next time.

Thank God Lively was ready to go.

Luka: I need a veteran big.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Seriously good for Luka that he is starting to demand things from this lazy FO. Dirk was way too soft on them, when Cuban was still trying harder. 

Usually it´s an awful idea to allow players to make roster decisions, but Luka at least needs to apply some pressure and demand excellence, not shitty repetitive stupidity like the last decade. The final decisions though should still be made by the GM (and owner). Harrison certainly bought himself some time with the Lively/Williams starts.
Like Reply
Luka seems super excited about Lively, just like the rest of us. Love to watch their interactions on the court. And Luka answering questions about the rook.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
I agree with everyone here that thank goodness Lively was much farther along in terms of development than many (myself included) here thought.

But some part of me wonders if a vet big still is a main priority. Lively is still a rookie and the center rotation feels thin since Maxi has gone down yet again.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:51 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Harrison certainly bought himself some time with the Lively/Williams starts.

I am willing to bet that any good moves made this summer came from Dennis Lindsey, not Nico Harrison.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...-cuban-ear

Nico's team building moves for the 2022-23 season were a travesty, just like his immediate predecessors.
[-] The following 2 users Like RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:51 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Luka: I need a veteran big.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Seriously good for Luka that he is starting to demand things from this lazy FO. Dirk was way too soft on them, when Cuban was still trying harder. 

Usually it´s an awful idea to allow players to make roster decisions, but Luka at least needs to apply some pressure and demand excellence, not shitty repetitive stupidity like the last decade. The final decisions though should still be made by the GM (and owner). Harrison certainly bought himself some time with the Lively/Williams starts.

Yeah, he needs to follow LeBron’s lead.

Not.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 02:11 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I am willing to bet that any good moves made this summer came from Dennis Lindsey, not Nico Harrison.

Nico's team building moves for the 2022-23 season were a travesty, just like his immediate predecessors.

You may be right. But I would give Nico credit for the move to bring in Lindsey. Whoever gives him bad advice—I blame Nico for following it. So why wouldn’t I give him credit for hiring and following the advice of someone good? Same for Cuban. Good for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 04:43 PM)The Jom Wrote: You may be right. But I would give Nico credit for the move to bring in Lindsey. Whoever gives him bad advice—I blame Nico for following it. So why wouldn’t I give him credit for hiring and following the advice of someone good? Same for Cuban. Good for him.

I think you are probably right about Lively (seems similar to the Hardy pick) and I agree that its good he is actually listening to somebody.  It was owner malpractice to bring Nico in here to run things with no experience.  Too bad they didn't bring in Lindsey (or someone like him) sooner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 04:43 PM)The Jom Wrote: You may be right. But I would give Nico credit for the move to bring in Lindsey. Whoever gives him bad advice—I blame Nico for following it. So why wouldn’t I give him credit for hiring and following the advice of someone good? Same for Cuban. Good for him.

You are the head of a research center. You decide to hire me as the lead researcher while you look after operations. I then discover the cure for cancer. That doesn't mean you get credit for finding the cure for cancer too.  You get credit for hiring me only.

Same thing applies here. Big Grin

If I'm not mistaken, Nico is now the POBO? While Hunter is the GM? Give Nico credit for hiring Hunter, or for realizing that he couldn't do the job of GM himself. Give Hunter the credit for the moves made by the GM... and let's hope that Cuban and Nico don't meddle... except maybe when it comes to making decisions on whether to stay under the tax or not (since it is Cuban's money, and Nico's incentives will most likely be tied into that).
Like Reply
Interesting take. What if I hire you in an advisory capacity but keep the title PBO and GM. Would you then tell everybody that you’re the GM?

On a serious note, I don’t know who’s right. But you got me googling and I can’t find anything that says Lindsey is GM. Wiki lists Nico as PBO & GM.
Like Reply
(11-07-2023, 09:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: Interesting take. What if I hire you in an advisory capacity but keep the title PBO and GM. Would you then tell everybody that you’re the GM?

On a serious note, I don’t know who’s right. But you got me googling and I can’t find anything that says Lindsey is GM. Wiki lists Nico as PBO & GM.

…and not only that, but how does the decision-making process actually work? I’m guessing it’s a collaborative event. Lots of people provide arguments pro and con for a particular candidate. Maybe the guy is a great listener and talks to lots of people. And maybe Cuban has veto power if he thinks the decision is totally whacked.

There’s just no way to assign either blame or credit without being in the inner circle.

Anything else is pure speculation.  

But maybe that’s what we like to do!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 02:11 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I am willing to bet that any good moves made this summer came from Dennis Lindsey, not Nico Harrison.

It's actually very easy to deduce, just by listening to Nico speak in interviews, that he doesn't seem to be an analytics type when it comes to basketball. You can usually tell pretty easily when people speak about specific subjects they get asked questions about (Im sure he's learning more as he spends more time in the job). Which is fine, you don't have to be as a GM to still be good at your job if you have good advice and information coming from your team. It's also straight up very different being an NBA team GM to an exec for a sporting goods company. So I wouldn't have really expected him to be phenomenal at his job in his first season or two. It was very obvious that he was not recruited for that reason also, he was recruited specifically for his professional relationships with current players.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • RGP1981, WillE
Like Reply
As far as I know, Lindsey is just an advisor
Like Reply
(11-08-2023, 04:27 AM)omahen Wrote: As far as I know, Lindsey is just an advisor

If you look at the limited number of actual personnel decisions made, I'm happy with Nico driving the bus and Lindsey giving the analysis, pointing to precisely what those decisions should be.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Don't care who's making decisions over there, as long as whomever did it this past summer is the one who continues to do it.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, Jmaciscool, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, RGP1981, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply