Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
(09-12-2023, 06:02 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://x.com/wojespn/status/1701716363704701236?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

Noel and Queta waived. Get Queta. High value pickup. Duffy client with Luka.

I don't think there are a lot of Queta experts around but he seems like a worthwhile prospect to me.   Based on G-league stats, he can rebound and block shots.  We are a team that needs rebounding and shot-blocking.  He has the size to play a situational role against the league's bigger centers.   As a nice bonus, he hit over 80 percent from the free throw line.  I think it is more likely that Neemias Queta develops into a useful rotation player than Markieff Morris returns to usefulness.  

I'm in on Queta.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
We already have a development center. I don't think there is room and minutes for another one
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • mvossman, RGP1981, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
I liked Queta a few years ago before the draft but right now there is room on the roster for him with Holmes, Powell, Lively and DJJ all being guys who can exclusively play the role of the rim runner. 

Re Morris: In theory we needed another shooter from the PF/C spot but he’s absolutely cooked. I was hoping for a better option, maybe some international guy but here we are. Also looks a lot like they promised him that spot months ago given his comments at the end of last season.
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 03:49 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: I liked Queta a few years ago before the draft but right now there is room on the roster for him with Holmes, Powell, Lively and DJJ all being guys who can exclusively play the role of the rim runner. 

Re Morris: In theory we needed another shooter from the PF/C spot but he’s absolutely cooked. I was hoping for a better option, maybe some international guy but here we are. Also looks a lot like they promised him that spot months ago given his comments at the end of last season.

Why not bring one of those guys into camp? Queta would be my preference, but either or….let’s kick the tires.

Re: Morris, you almost have to think that his signing was part of the Kyrie resigning deal.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Btw, was Mavs signing Morris actually officially done? I don't remember anything after the first media reports. Did I overlook it?
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:04 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Why not bring one of those guys into camp? Queta would be my preference, but either or….let’s kick the tires.

Re: Morris, you almost have to think that his signing was part of the Kyrie resigning deal.

The Morris signing seems inexplicable but probably is related to something foolish like a request from Kyrie.

It may also just be that Jason Kidd likes his toughness or Mark Cuban wanted a bully on the roster.  

It cannot be that they value his ability to play winning basketball.  He's several years past that.
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:38 AM)omahen Wrote: Btw, was Mavs signing Morris actually officially done? I don't remember anything after the first media reports. Did I overlook it?

I don't know, but it was non guaranteed so it does not really matter, does it?  They can bail at any time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Perhaps not looking for diamond in the rough big men is part of the reason why we never have serviceable big men.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 01:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't know, but it was non guaranteed so it does not really matter, does it?  They can bail at any time.

Sure they can. But if they didn't do it yet perhaps is an indication, that he is their last resort and are still open to some other solutions. Or perhaps he is looking for a guaranteed deal elsewhere
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 01:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't know, but it was non guaranteed so it does not really matter, does it?  They can bail at any time.

Don't unguaranteed contracts become guaranteed at some point in the season? If so, then he's just a placeholder, IMO.
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 02:12 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Don't unguaranteed contracts become guaranteed at some point in the season? If so, then he's just a placeholder, IMO.

I don't think so?  I believe he can be waived at any time during the season at which point they do not have to pay the remainder of his contract.
Like Reply
It's interesting looking back 10 or 15 years and realizing how much more depth the league has now
2011-12 was the first year that the roster limit expanded from 12 to 13
And back then there was always at least a guy or 2 that was unplayable so really most teams only had a consistent 10 guys to plan around
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 04:41 PM)Jym Wrote: It's interesting looking back 10 or 15 years and realizing how much more depth the league has now
2011-12 was the first year that the roster limit expanded from 12 to 13
And back then there was always at least a guy or 2 that was unplayable so really most teams only had a consistent 10 guys to plan around

Yeah, for sure. In many ways, NBA basketball is healthier than it has ever been, along with the state of global basketball, in general.
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 02:12 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Don't unguaranteed contracts become guaranteed at some point in the season? If so, then he's just a placeholder, IMO.

If he's still here on January 10th, the rest of the season is owed.  I think they actually have to make the decision by 1/7 so the player can clear waivers before 1/10.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
With the Rockets reportedly offering draft compensation to take KPJ of their hands the time to dump THJ is upon us. Do the swap. Get whatever draft compensation we can. Waive the dude. Watch Green, Hardy and OMax… Prosper… See what I did there?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:21 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: With the Rockets reportedly offering draft compensation to take KPJ of their hands the time to dump THJ is upon us. Do the swap. Get whatever draft compensation we can. Waive the dude. Watch Green, Hardy and OMax… Prosper… See what I did there?

It crossed my mind. Not sure if I’d do it or not.
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It crossed my mind. Not sure if I’d do it or not.

What is your reservation? You are not as bullish on the young guns as me?
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:21 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: With the Rockets reportedly offering draft compensation to take KPJ of their hands the time to dump THJ is upon us. Do the swap. Get whatever draft compensation we can. Waive the dude. Watch Green, Hardy and OMax… Prosper… See what I did there?

I would consider it if the compensation were a first-round pick. 

I would then release KPJ and sign Hamidou Diallo as a free agent.  We'd be younger, better defensively and we'd replenish our draft picks somewhat.  

I think THJ is a useful player but I'd make that deal.  I wouldn't make that trade for a couple of second-rounders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:37 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: What is your reservation? You are not as bullish on the young guns as me?

Although my opinion on THJ fit is known, I am not sure I would do that. The only way for Mavs to improve the roster is trade and you need matching salary. With McGee already waived, the only suitable salary left is THJ and Holmes. Perhaps also Kleber if he can't stay healthy and reasonably productive. With THJ salary gone, the only salary left would be Holmes one, which would considerably limit the possibility of the returning salary coming back in a trade.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply

First round pick?  Sign and waive?  Yeah...I'd have to seriously consider that.
Like Reply