Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: PHI Keeping An Eye on Butler | Butler Wants Max Extension
(2 hours ago)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've been thinking about this as I've watched the playoffs.   We don't need a third 'star'.  First, we have one already, he just has to mature.  Lively will be a Team USA center in the not too distant future.  Adding offense is really tricky.  I don't see any player who 'requires' the ball working here with Luka and Kyrie (unless they play mainly when one of them sits).  I also don't see how to upgrade a starting spot without sacrificing any D.  Playoff success requires putting defenders around Luka and Kyrie.  We have a delicate balance right now that works well.  

If I see a hole, it probably is that scoring sixth man who can create for himself and others, but can also play off the ball.  If you get a guy who can also play defense, you are talking about a star and we don't have the juice to get a star.  Instead, I like the fringe moves Nico has made.  I'd like to see one more of those.  Like almost everyone, I see THJ's expiring deal as the core piece that needs to be outgoing.  Unlike some, I don't have anyone else I'm dying to get rid of.

Here is my view of the roster:

Center (Lively, Gafford, Maxi):  

Don't change a thing.  This "bullpen" approach is working.  Lively is going to be a stud.  Gafford is/was critical to not being forced to overplay Maxi and to not being totally dependent on Lively avoiding rookie fouls (plus injury insurance).  Maxi is the critical diversifier.  Can we play 48 minutes of Rim Roller/Paint Protector - Yes.  Can we play 5-Out half a game or more if need be - Yes.  The C position is a strength.  Some have historically pushed a narrative that we have to play this way or that.  If you don't have a top 3-5 center what you HAVE to do is be able to play multiple ways.

Big Forward (PJ, Maxi, OMax):

Again, I'm really happy with this position.  I don't see a way to upgrade PJ without giving up too much in assets or giving up too much on the defensive end.  He works great around the other pieces.  Maxi's flexibility is also valuable here as you can retain size if you want in the non-PJ minutes.  Maxi is older and misses time every year.  I see OMax being the natural heir-apparent to Maxi as he slows down.

Defensive Wing (DJJ, Green, Exum):   

If your stars are Luka/Kyrie, you have to have someone like DJJ who can take the other team's top scorer.  I don't think he's easy to replace (especially in the playoffs).  In fact, I see keeping Jones Jr. as a critical element to any plan going forward.  As I hoped (and feared from a financial standpoint), he's been unbelievable through five games.  He's worth more than the TP MLE and I think it will require a discount on his part for him to sign here for that (I'll remind everyone that it wasn't that long ago that he signed a 2 year $19mm contract).  He came here with the idea of rebuilding value and he picked the perfect spot to do it.  As we see the playoffs unfold, these 'stoppers' who have 'some' offensive game are absolute musts in slowing down the best offensive players on the other team.

Green and Exum are very nice bench pieces who bring slightly different things.  I can see Green or Exum as a 5th Starter/Occasional Starter.  The team has had success with either in the starting lineup and it is really nice to have 7th/8th/9th man types who are good enough to be 5th man.  Green's "energy defender/rebounder who can hit a 3 and moves the ball and runs the floor" role off the bench is a really good role for him right now.  Exum is super valuable when Luka or Kyrie need a night off.  He was fantastic in the regular season and I suspect we've not heard the last of him in the playoffs.  LAC doesn't have a smallish quick guard to worry about, but some team will and Exum will be a better fit in a different series.  It is also nice to get some additional ball handling in the game at times.

Scoring - Guard/Wing (Luka, Irving.................Hardy):

I've left THJ out and tried to note the chasm between our stars and Hardy.  The roster just makes more sense when Hardaway is hurt/out.  Sadly, his contract kind of forces you to play him when he's healthy.  If only he could distribute or do something of value when his shot isn't falling.  I really wish he could do the things the Atlanta Bogdanovic does.  That would work very well here if Bogdanovic was willing to come off the bench at age 32 (I even like his 2 years plus a 3rd year TO contract).  Hopefully some team will value Hardaway's expiring deal (sadly, more likely at the TDL than in the summer).  

Hardy brings more to the table in terms of a diverse skill set than Hardaway.  He's just so young.  Is he good enough for a '6th man' role on a team with championship aspirations?  Maybe.  Or, does his youth give you the chance to bring in an older guy as 6th man.  The difference between Hardy as the heir-apparent to an older 6th man type and OMax as the heir-apparent to Maxi is Hardy's contract doesn't line up as nicely as OMax's contract.  Hardy is free in the summer of 2025 and it wouldn't shock me if Rich Paul tries to get him moved this summer to a spot with a better opportunity to show his stuff.  If one wants to advocate for keeping Hardy, one probably has to create a path for him to have a real role in 24/25.  I don't have a strong opinion either way.  I just don't think having Hardy, Green, THJ and Exum all basically competing for crumbs behind Luka and Kyrie is going to work for Hardy and his influential agent.

I haven't really started looking at specific names yet.  I'm just enjoying the games and spending much less time thinking about basketball.  I may pop back in occasionally as the playoffs progress and may spend some time thinking about team building strategy in June.  I think you kind of have to resolve the DJJ question before you can worry about adding something.  If he will sign for the TP MLE (2 years with PO on the second), then great.  You can start shopping for something else.  If it takes more, then you have to move salary.  And, if you lose him for nothing in free agency, then the mandate is to find another DJJ (probably through trade).  The list of candidates for what you need is just very different in my mind depending on whether you have DJJ or you don't.

Cheers everyone.

[Image: wedding-season-owen-wilson.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
Tobias Harris is expected to relocate from Philadelphia, per
@TimBontemps

“League sources expect Harris, who has been at the center of fan frustrations in Philadelphia, to be elsewhere next season.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(1 hour ago)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
Tobias Harris is expected to relocate from Philadelphia, per
@TimBontemps

“League sources expect Harris, who has been at the center of fan frustrations in Philadelphia, to be elsewhere next season.”

Its kind of crazy that Harris is making almost 40 mil this season and I would probably prefer our min contract DJJ on an MLE contract next season.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(33 minutes ago)mvossman Wrote: Its kind of crazy that Harris is making almost 40 mil this season and I would probably prefer our min contract DJJ on an MLE contract next season.

What's going to be more crazy is that Harris will probably get a huge contract from the Pistons again
Like Reply
(3 hours ago)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not sure if Butler is willing to be the scapegoat again. But it would be hilarious if they burn their remaining assets to trade for an older and worse version of the player that they kicked out five years ago.

They didn’t kick him out. That was Jimmy’s PR spin.
Like Reply