Poll: Who will win the game? (Clips 1.5 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
45.00%
9 45.00%
Clippers
55.00%
11 55.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: LAC (13-5) @ DAL (11-6) | 99-114 loss
-Just finished watching it on DVR. That was a pretty healthy thrashing we took. Quite the reality check, may want to at least explore our trade options if we aren't already tampering like hell with AD like we should be.

-The first quarter was fun but if Timmy is the answer as #3 he can't disappear after the first quarter like that, Seth's numbers are deceiving because of garbage time but this could easily turn back into a debate if THJ disappears again. We hadn't played an above average defense in quite a while and it showed here, we didn't look ready for it. Very Hardenesque statline by Luka tonight

-Can't say I'm a fan of benching Kleber for Powell after seeing this one either single game +/- be damned, Kleber's confidence seems to be going down with that decision.

-JJ still looks like a legit spark plug option even after the Achilles, you saw the heart of a champion when Rick threw him in when desperate for anything
Like Reply
Mavs couldn't buy a bucket if they had all the money in the world. No way in the world do the Mavs ever win if Luka goes 4/14 from the field, and Kristaps 4/13.

Just weird shots rimming in and out, had a few of those went down maybe the Mavs would've had some life injected into their runs but they could never just string together more than 3 positive possessions. Clips played really tough physical defense (explains the 35 FTA), which is a known weakness for this Mavs team. Mavs need to find a way to rise above physical play. Knicks beat us twice with that, now the Clips as well.  In terms of the trade market, that'd be the one thing the Mavs should look for. Marcus Smart/Bev/Draymond/ are the types of dudes this team needs. Someone that can be just nasty and set the defensive tone and match physical play. One player who's currently a free agent who fits the bill AND helps the Mavs with their Powell problem is Joakim Noah. He played really well for Memphis when he got some games. He's obviously not the same player, but in limited minutes he'd be a spark plug off the bench. 

Refs I also felt missed quite a few calls that deflated the team. Overall it was a tough loss, but a lot to learn and hopefully the team regroups against PHX on Friday. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-27-2019, 03:47 AM)MrGoat Wrote: -Just finished watching it on DVR. That was a pretty healthy thrashing we took. Quite the reality check, may want to at least explore our trade options if we aren't already tampering like hell with AD like we should be.

-The first quarter was fun but if Timmy is the answer as #3 he can't disappear after the first quarter like that, Seth's numbers are deceiving because of garbage time but this could easily turn back into a debate if THJ disappears again. We hadn't played an above average defense in quite a while and it showed here, we didn't look ready for it. Very Hardenesque statline by Luka tonight

-Can't say I'm a fan of benching Kleber for Powell after seeing this one either single game +/- be damned, Kleber's confidence seems to be going down with that decision.

-JJ still looks like a legit spark plug option even after the Achilles, you saw the heart of a champion when Rick threw him in when desperate for anything
Same thing happened last season with Maxi.  He started the season aggressive and all over the place on defense, blocking shots left and right, but then he would draw a couple fouls and RC would bench him.  He gradually just got more and more passive.  If a player like Maxi is not going to be allowed to play aggressive, then why have him?
Like Reply
Game plan was bad.  Very few in game adjustments.  Mavs got slapped and the refs helped.  Then the bench got tentative.  I guess they weren't ready for a junk yard dog game.  Some players are being played out of position.  Well...wait...not out of position--just being asked to do things they can't.  What is Boban doing out at the top of the key?  He isn't mobile enough to play there.  The entire team has to adjust when Boban is on the floor...but they don't.  RC apparently thinks Boban is just a bigger KP.  He is not...but Boban does have a few strengths.  Play to his strength.  Let the versatile players adjust.  Shucks...gotta go eat.  Too much to say.

With the right game plan the Mavs could have won that game.  Maybe next time.

Oh yes.  RC does jerk players around.  They DO lose confidence.  JJ and Maxi are good examples of this.  Crowder is another.  Crowder mostly just got mad...and is still mad.
Like Reply
I think they watch some game tape for like 30-45 mins; then Carlisle throws it away and move on to the Suns.

Not much to take from this game.

Other than: our 3s weren't falling, we weren't as physical or matched intensity; and players reverted to watching Luka try to do something out of nothing. The Ball wasn't really moving well either.

On to the Suns.

(11-26-2019, 10:58 AM)iolide Wrote: On October 17th, the Mavs played the Clippers in Canada; albeit, it was a pre-season game, but still; the good guys won.

Sure, PG13/Bev weren't playing, but every one else was. Luka wasn't playing like he is yet, neither was KP defending like he is now; nor were our shooters actually shooting well - like they are now.

In that game, Mavs shot 45% vs 36%; 38% 3pt vs 24%.

Offensively, the Mavs shadow over the clippers. Nothing to be scared of there.

It's the defense that worries me. In that same game, Clippers forced 30 turnovers, had 15 steals, and also had 42 pts in the paint.

Needless to say; this game will be physical and we have trouble in physical games this year, again. 

If the 3 falls for us, we win this. If not, it could be a long night. 

GO Mavs!

Yep. Hate that i was right. But, i guess we saw this coming from a mile away. The Clips are legit. Better than Lakers.
Like Reply
(11-27-2019, 11:24 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Game plan was bad.  Very few in game adjustments.  Mavs got slapped and the refs helped.  Then the bench got tentative.  I guess they weren't ready for a junk yard dog game.  Some players are being played out of position.  Well...wait...not out of position--just being asked to do things they can't.  What is Boban doing out at the top of the key?  He isn't mobile enough to play there.  The entire team has to adjust when Boban is on the floor...but they don't.  RC apparently thinks Boban is just a bigger KP.  He is not...but Boban does have a few strengths.  Play to his strength.  Let the versatile players adjust.  Shucks...gotta go eat.  Too much to say.

With the right game plan the Mavs could have won that game.  Maybe next time.

Oh yes.  RC does jerk players around.  They DO lose confidence.  JJ and Maxi are good examples of this.  Crowder is another.  Crowder mostly just got mad...and is still mad.

Playing Boban was a disaster. He didn't even get a single rebound the entire game. The 3 guard line-up of Seth, Brunson, and Delon with Kleber/Boban was vintage Carlisle.

Boban clogs the lane so Brunson/Delon can't attack the rim; as a result, they try to make Boban the go-to scoring option and forcefeed him in the post. It also doesn't help that only 1 out of those 5 can make a three at an above average rate. Terrible offensive line-up.

Furthermore, Lou, Robinson, McGruder, Green and Harrell had the significant length and speed advantage.

It was inexcusable to not play Justin Jackson until garbage time. You're right, Carlisle toys around with his players, especially younger ones, far too much. It is why his act has gotten so old with many of us here.
Like Reply
Bullets:
  • I considered this game a bonus after that impressive outing in Houston. I'm not a huge fan of the "benchmark" label the game got. Clippers are a team I'm OK losing to because they are quite simply better. Mavs got outplayed by a superior opponent. Happens. The goal still should be to make the playoffs and for that games like against the Suns are much more telling.
  • For the same reason I hope Luka develops a bit more of a "one of 82" mindset. I absolutely love how competitive he is, and he struggled for sure vs. the Clippers defense, but you shouldn't get too pissed about such a game. This was not losing against the Knicks. Twice.
  • I think ESPN titled that the Clippers are what the Mavs want to become, and I couldn't agree more. The game showed how vulnerable Dallas is if opponents are able to limit Luka. Ideally you then have a co-star and an additional playmaker off the bench to step in. Kawhi struggled, but George had it going and Lou Williams was +24. KP simply isn't yet ready to take over games and we lack a true 6th man as well.
  • A couple more thoughts on KP specifically: The Clippers are an awful matchup for Luka, but it's a game in which KP should be able to dominate. That's why the Mavs paid him and he has to be able thrive in these situations. I'm not worried and think he'll get there, but this was a good reminder that for now Dallas only goes as far as Luka takes them.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(11-27-2019, 02:08 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Oh yes.  RC does jerk players around.  They DO lose confidence.  JJ and Maxi are good examples of this.  Crowder is another.  Crowder mostly just got mad...and is still mad.

12 player suit up. It's not feasible to have a consistent 12 player rotation. Not everyone can be in the rotation. Some of the consistent rotation players play more minutes than others. Some play less. The non-rotation players need work sometimes and have skills to offer in certain situations. If the rotation tightens in a big game, some players play less than normal. If non-rotation players get burn then someone has to play less. Sometimes matchups dictate that some play less and some play more.

It's a fact of life that not every NBA player gets consistent minutes. It would be impossible for every player to get consistent minutes.

The "jerks players around" stuff makes no sense to me. I think all it really means is "the coach doesn't play who I want him to play".

But the crazy thing about all the fuss about rotations is this forum at times simultaneously claims that "players get jerked around" AND that "Coach should have left them in longer" or " brought them back sooner". If some players "stay in longer" or "come back sooner" then someone else is going to get "jerked around".

It's not smart basketball talk.

And the thing about Crowder is that he lost his potential starting job because of a free agent signing. It makes sense that he was mad! He's competitve! But it was the right move at the time since the free agent was better than him at that time. Crowder is better now but he wasn't when the decision was made.
Like Reply