Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 137, Rockets 123
(11-25-2019, 02:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He put his curiosity to rest and now they play to win only.

I don't think it's about curiosity. It's about seeing the team and the individual players play, digesting what you have, and putting them in the best situations to succeed. I don't know that Rick settles on the rotation as it currently sits without using the early season to find out what he has to work with. The word "tinkering" implies that you're messing with something that's already put together. I think the better phrase is "rotation building". What would the rotation look like, and how would the team be playing if Rick didn't spend time building a rotation and instead coached like "roll the ball out" coach?
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 03:55 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 02:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He put his curiosity to rest and now they play to win only.

I don't think it's about curiosity. It's about seeing the team and the individual players play, digesting what you have, and putting them in the best situations to succeed. I don't know that Rick settles on the rotation as it currently sits without using the early season to find out what he has to work with. The word "tinkering" implies that you're messing with something that's already put together. I think the better phrase is "rotation building". What would the rotation look like, and how would the team be playing if Rick didn't spend time building a rotation and instead coached like "roll the ball out" coach?

I don't say it's a bad approach. I'm just glad they settled early this season.

Carlisle uses the early season as extended preseason. We all know it. I've pointed it out multiple times that it's an information gathering approach he uses. That can be annoying if you just want to win, because it's not his main goal early. I think sometimes he even takes a loss to send a message, puts them in a position to lose. 

He is coaching very scientifically and psychologically.
Sometimes though he forgets that you cannot see everything in short stints. Some people need trust and safe space, some don't, not every player can plug and play.

He just focused on winning earlier than ever since he is a Mavs coach. I'm glad he did. I give him lots of credit for trusting Luka.

And Ok I admit it, I also give him lots of credit because he made the changes I thought needed to be done.

Im astonished how quick they fixed it.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:14 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: And Ok I admit it, I also give him lots of credit because he made the changes I thought needed to be done.

Yeah, I think the information gathering was pointing to DFS being a great fit as the glue guy with Luka and KP. I think it pointed to Delon and Brunson being a good fit to run the second unit together. And I actually think the information gathering pointed to Seth starting. BUT...THJ came in took that starting job.

So the information gather plus THJ seizing the starter job all lead to what we have now...

Except for one rotation spot. I think that Rick must be still trying to get Powell going because he believes that DP can be a good fit with Luka and KP. It looks like he's giving that more time to percolate because if the Powell/Maxi thing was just based on information gathering I think Maxi would be starting and playing a lot more than Powell.
Like Reply
This may have been posted elsewhere on the site, but it is being reported that Carlisle has acknowledged that Tim is now  a starter, and that RC has discussed the situation with Seth. So there we have it. Rick Carlisle, the tinkerer/rotation builder at work! Santa and his elves, if you will.  Smile
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:14 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: And Ok I admit it, I also give him lots of credit because he made the changes I thought needed to be done.

Yeah, I think the information gathering was pointing to DFS being a great fit as the glue guy with Luka and KP. I think it pointed to Delon and Brunson being a good fit to run the second unit together. And I actually think the information gathering pointed to Seth starting. BUT...THJ came in took that starting job.

So the information gather plus THJ seizing the starter job all lead to what we have now...

Except for one rotation spot. I think that Rick must be still trying to get Powell going because he believes that DP can be a good fit with Luka and KP. It looks like he's giving that more time to percolate because if the Powell/Maxi thing was just based on information gathering I think Maxi would be starting and playing a lot more than Powell.

I think Powell would look great in another team's uniform.

For a while, people were saying we need wings. If THJ can settle into something approximating (not consistently repeating - he's never going to sustain that shooting over a full season, but if he plays as he has recently and can at least shoot with league-wide efficiency, that's good enough) what we saw the last three games, the wings are okay. It's the starting big next to Porzingis that needs to be upgraded. Putting Maxi in the starting lineup in place of Powell is fine, but I'd rather see a trade, if something worthwhile comes up.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think Powell would look great in another team's uniform.

Trading Powell would be selling at the lowest point possible. We've seen him play well before. I'm pretty sure he's not going to play like this the whole season.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think Powell would look great in another team's uniform.

Trading Powell would be selling at the lowest point possible. We've seen him play well before. I'm pretty sure he's not going to play like this the whole season.
Post All-Star Powell could propel our offense to uncharted heights that was once thought impossible...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

I think Powell would look great in another team's uniform.

For a while, people were saying we need wings. If THJ can settle into something approximating (not consistently repeating - he's never going to sustain that shooting over a full season, but if he plays as he has recently and can at least shoot with league-wide efficiency, that's good enough) what we saw the last three games, the wings are okay. It's the starting big next to Porzingis that needs to be upgraded. Putting Maxi in the starting lineup in place of Powell is fine, but I'd rather see a trade, if something worthwhile comes up.

For most guys I don't really care much about their results and rather on HOW they play.

For Tim it's not a hot streak, as he doesn't hit his bad shots now. 

1. When he handles the ball he thinks of the pass first
  2. He contributes with hockey assists and low turnovers
  3. He makes the second pass as well
  4. He has vastly improved shot selection
  5. His makes weren't flukey, he hade similar shots all season
  6. Not only him but the whole team mostly stopped taking haymaker, contested, early shot clock, pull up 3s
  7. Luka is the only one still doing them to a certain extent to keep the defense honest I guess, when Luka settles he is money.

The art of chucking which happened until the Knicks game just stopped. It's one of the rare bad habits Luka has from time to time. But from his comments and adjustments he seems aware of it.

After the Knicks game they made a switch, the free for all is stoped and they mainly care about winning.
They are settling into roles and it helps them a lot!

Brunson and Seth are probably the most difficult personalities of the team. I feel the dog in Brunson is difficult to keep in check. Brunson used to be a general, I think he aspires a bigger role. So in this I see the biggest volatility of the team.

We might end up needing to trade them both. If they stay calm, play to win, fill their roles, great!
Like Reply
1. Luka—we're set there. 

2. THJ, Seth, Delon, Jalen—this is not a position of need. 

3. Doe-Doe, J.Jax—neither is this. 

4. KP, Maxi—good. 

5. Dwight, Boban—aha, we're on to something here. Who’s available that can play here?
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 05:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: 1. Luka—we're set there. 

2. THJ, Seth, Delon, Jalen—this is not a position of need. 

3. Doe-Doe, J.Jax—neither is this. 

4. KP, Maxi—good. 

5. Dwight, Boban—aha, we're on to something here. Who’s available that can play here?

Wrong thread?
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 08:48 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great work as always Mavsluvr!  It seems, like the Mavericks franchise, you have returned with a vengeance, and to championship form for the season!

Yeah, this team is for real.  The Laker's loss was actually a robbery and should have been a win.  This one and that one should put the league on notice if they weren't already that Dallas is back!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Thanks, Dahlsim! Always glad to see you posting.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 06:57 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: If teams start double-teaming Doncic like we did with Harden, can we trust the other 4 players to make the right decision? I hope so.

This happened indeed against Toronto. Luka split every single double team all game long with his passes and everyone else thrived.

That game showed every other team basically that doubling him is not the way to stop Mavs.
Like Reply
Listened to the Red94 postgame podcast. A real lark. 

The Houston podcaster is sick to his stomach about what is happening in Dallas. After grinding it out against Dallas for so many years, they had finally reached the point where they thought they could scratch the Mavs off the list for Harden's remaining prime. And now, with Luka, the Mavs promise to be in prime contention for the next nine or ten years. To start the season, the Mavs had definitely been in a tier below Houston, but in this game, it looked for all the world like Dallas is in the same tier as the Rox. Was having a conniption about how amazingly good Luka is. Just sickening. 

What a fun listen! Ah, the joys of schadenfreude!
Like Reply

He's the only dark spot in the whole lineup - no rebounds, no defense, and the other teams have taken away his lob-getting when in the starting lineup. If there's an opportunity to get rid of that contract and also get someone better to replace him, you do it.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 09:39 AM)Hypermav Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Kristaps outdid himself again, with his new best game as a Mav. He put 23 points and 13 rebounds on the scoresheet, and was phenomenal on the defensive end. Rick waxed enthusiastic about the big man's rim protection, rebounding, outlet passing, cutting, hitting open shots, crashing the offensive boards (3 ORB), and very good passing. The Luka-KP connection is coming along nicely, with the two linking up often. Porzingis did not automatically put the ball up when he got the ball, electing to pass or tip to teammates on a number of occasions and recording 3 assists. This promises to be one of the deadliest duos in the game. 
He is close to AD points and better rebounding of late.  His outside shot is better than AD and he changes more shots at the rim than AD.  AD is better at the mid range and creating his shot.  It wouldn't be a stretch to say the Mavs big 2 may have better stats than LeBron and AD at the end of the year.  If the rest of the team can match the Lakers output, why not the Mavs.
That would be dope.

(11-25-2019, 08:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
Quote:The Mavs' coaching staff deserve credit for designing a crushing game plan.
Ain't that the truth! Our guys were really ready for this one! On a funny side note, if the Mavs ever got down in this game, I expected to see JJB get in there as a known Westbrook agitator and work that guy into a frenzy as he's done so often. Would have loved to see that anyway as RW got pretty agitated anyway, and have JJB send him over the top!
I love it when JJB plays. Would have been great to see him get under RW's skin, lol. Thus far, however, he seems to be firmly ensconced in the 14th man position.

(11-25-2019, 10:32 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: I greatly appreciate what Tim Hardaway Jr is doing.  He's played very, very well...but I do not trust him right now to stay the course.

He is controlling the urge to take knuckleheaded shots and crazy pullups....but will that last.  I sure hope it does.  I'll take every good shot he takes.
I have a degree of optimism that Tim will maintain the proper frame of mind on the court, if only because he must be enjoying the success that excelling in a defined role has brought. 

As to whether he is able to sustain this sort of performance when defenses start to focus on him, agree that that remains to be seen.

(11-25-2019, 05:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

He's the only dark spot in the whole lineup - no rebounds, no defense, and the other teams have taken away his lob-getting when in the starting lineup. If there's an opportunity to get rid of that contract and also get someone better to replace him, you do it.
OTOH, that's what people were saying a couple of weeks ago about THJ. 

It wouldn't shock me if Powell -- or indeed, anyone not named Luka or Kristaps -- were traded, but afaik, we don't have any reason to believe that the Mavs are aggressively shopping Powell. And in the meantime, they'll continue to work with him in hopes that he will round into form. 

You just never know.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 10:34 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: I think Derek Harper deserves some love here for once; he was low-key ripping on Harden and Westbrook the whole game...
Yes, he does. 

I like Harp. He has a verbal tic that I find a little jarring -- not pronouncing the last consonant in some words. For example, "lef hand" and "absorbing contack." But that's pretty minor in the grand scheme. Compared to a lot of the other color commentators in the league, he's an All-Star. 

Heart
Like Reply
Watching League Pass or in this case the Houston team on NBA TV consistently supports our TV team as All Stars. The Rockets team has the worst case of complaining about almost every call I have ever seen. It is symptomatic from the Public Relations office, to the GM, to the Coach, to their past stars on TV to their players. You do learn a few good bits of info from their team and they compliment the other team consistently well but they complain, complain, complain. It is quite sickening to watch, kind of like their team. 

Then their is Tommy Heinsohm for the Celtics. Their team would actually be good if he would shut up. He wins for most irritating and biased color man in the league....ie. the absolute worst out of 30.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:59 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:

Post All-Star Powell could propel our offense to uncharted heights that was once thought impossible...

Agreed.  But, last 8 games Powell is doing just fine.  He's shooting .694 from the field and the team is +11.7 in net rating when he's in the game with Luka and KP (Maxi is net negative next to the unicorns).  Powell has been a net positive in 7 of those 8 games.  I'm starting with the Memphis game because it was the first time he really had an impact positive or negative (and I think he deserves a few games to get over his hammy injury).

What the people complaining about Powell's "production" are missing is how he impacts the game in other ways.  He's by far our best screen setter (lots of screen assists).  He helps Luka get into the lane and then occupies one and often two defenders which then frees Luka to get all the way to the basket.  Powell should command that kind of attention because the point production of a lob to Powell is greater than the point production of a Luka attempt within 3 feet.  If someone is cheating to help on Powell, it opens up DFS, THJ and KP (the initial brothers) for open 3's.  Powell's singular super-power is a huge part of why everyone else is playing so productively on offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing another big on the team.  Not a starter level guy, but last night with both Maxi and Powell getting into early foul trouble, we were really thin at the position.  Same if one of KP, Maxi and Powell gets injured.  I think we have too many guard types.  I like the Wright/Brunson pairing off the bench, and I like THJ and DFS playing with the starters.  To me, the odd man out is Curry and with Barea still around, I'd rather have another big than Curry.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 11:26 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Watching League Pass or in this case the Houston team on NBA TV consistently supports our TV team as All Stars. The Rockets team has the worst case of complaining about almost every call I have ever seen. It is symptomatic from the Public Relations office, to the GM, to the Coach, to their past stars on TV to their players. You do learn a few good bits of info from their team and they compliment the other team consistently well but they complain, complain, complain. It is quite sickening to watch, kind of like their team. 
The Houston guys are some of the worst. Inveterate homers. And those good ol' boy down-home accents. 

Followill and Harp are a pleasure, especially compared to most other callers. I have been known to choose games on the basis of which one Followill was calling.

(11-25-2019, 10:56 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I think we need a love button in addition to the like button just for use on mavsluvr posts and a few others. Shy
Aww. Sweet. Thanks, RM.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 09:25 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 08:48 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great work as always Mavsluvr!  It seems, like the Mavericks franchise, you have returned with a vengeance, and to championship form for the season!

Yeah, this team is for real.  The Laker's loss was actually a robbery and should have been a win.  This one and that one should put the league on notice if they weren't already that Dallas is back!

[Image: giphy.gif]

He is doing extraordinary work, but wouldn't say he is back to form yet.
Mavsluvr isnt in championship form yet and just as the Mavs is heating up.

Super happy to have him back. Still irritated he came back the same time as Mak left.

@"Dahlsim" I'm glad to have you here as well. You seem to be the lonely community contributors @ mavssi

Wait, what?  When/why did Mak leave?
Like Reply