Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 137, Rockets 123
Mavs Blast Rockets Out of Orbit

Wow!  Mavs blow out a contending rival on the road! They're for real!

Game Story

The Mavericks got off to a hot start with their starting lineup of Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-DP, taking advantage of the Rockets' turning the ball over on the first three possessions of the game. They quickly climbed to a 12-point lead, but the home team battled back to within two. The blue and silver responded with a 16-2 run to end the quarter 45-29. (!) The Rox went on a little run to get within 10 at the start of the second quarter, but Luka returned to lead another Mavs charge. By halftime, Dallas had amassed a stunning 78 points, and a 17-point lead. The battle of the benches stood at 20-2 Mavs. 

James Harden was called for his fourth foul to begin the third, but a coach's challenge resulted in the foul being charged to Danuel House instead. The Rockets made a push in this period, began waltzing to the basket, and drew within ten to close the quarter 95-105. The game got interesting in the final frame, with Houston closing to within five several times. Carlisle brought Luka and KP back early at 9:27, and the Mavs eventually sealed the deal, allowing the starters to exit at 1:48. 

Analytics. The game was very close in most metrics, with the exception of three-point shooting. Both teams took 44 shots from long range. The Mavs hit on 17 of those (39%), while the Rox saw only 10 tries go down, for a putrid 23%. Harden was a horrid 2-of-15 from beyond the arc. Luka and Tim each registered 5 triples. Porzingis, Finney-Smith, and Maxi each put 2 threes on the board, with Jackson adding a seventeenth. Dallas ended up -6 on twos, +21 on threes, and -1 on made free throws. 

Individual Performances

Luka was his amazing self, recording 41 points. He also dished 10 dimes, and was a few rebounds short of a triple double, with 6. The box score, while robust, didn't do justice to Luka's skill, vision, and leadership on the court. I'm not saying he will win the MVP, but he was definitely playing at that level. He was lethal as a jump shooter, Euro-stepping to the basket, and finding the right guy when that was called for. He had a few instances of arguably going a step too far, such as being called for a third foul in the second quarter when he was trying to draw a fourth foul on Harden instead of playing straight up, but he was humble enough to show a chagrined smile and bring his game back to the fundamentals in those instances. On the subject of that third foul, committed at 2:40 in the second quarter, Rick uncharacteristically left him in the game for the rest of the period, and Luka justified the coach's trust. Some days, I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that this youngster is a Mav, and that, great as he is, his best is yet to come. 

Kristaps outdid himself again, with his new best game as a Mav. He put 23 points and 13 rebounds on the scoresheet, and was phenomenal on the defensive end. Rick waxed enthusiastic about the big man's rim protection, rebounding, outlet passing, cutting, hitting open shots, crashing the offensive boards (3 ORB), and very good passing. The Luka-KP connection is coming along nicely, with the two linking up often. Porzingis did not automatically put the ball up when he got the ball, electing to pass or tip to teammates on a number of occasions and recording 3 assists. This promises to be one of the deadliest duos in the game. 

Is Hardaway going to emerge as this team's third star? If so, that would be huge. The guard was the team's second leading scorer, with 31 points on 10-18 shooting, along with 6-7 free throws. At times, he operated as a second point guard, with 5 assists and only 1 turnover in a team-high 38 minutes. Carlisle praised THJ for a great floor game, great scoring punch and defense, and serving as a "connector." Hardaway had drawn a lot of fan ire for his poor shooting early on, and the coaches have been working with him on some glitches they saw in his footwork. It looks like a case of good teachers and a good learner!

The Luka-Tim pairing is also bearing fruit, with the two guards combining for 82 points, ten threes, 15 FTAs, 10 boards, 15 assists, and 4 steals. It's been a long time since the back court put up that kind of numbers. 

Bench. The second unit out-dueled the Rockets' bench 28-11, with Maxi and Wright doing the heavy lifting in a combined 47 minutes. Rick admired Maxi's shot-making, including two key threes, and his effectiveness on the defensive end in 25 minutes. 

Coaching. The Mavs' coaching staff deserve credit for designing a crushing game plan. The Mavericks were unusually aggressive on the defensive end of the court, forcing turnovers early, and double-teaming Harden as a standard matter. The other Rockets were unable to make the Mavs pay, and Dallas' daring approach was successful. A good indication that this team has the ability to adapt, both as a strategic matter, and tactically during the game (bringing Luka and KP back early in the fourth, for example).

Rockets. This match had the added intrigue of a rivalry game. Harden and Westbrook combined for 59 points, 20 free throw attempts, 14 rebounds, 17 assists, and 2 steals. However, they also had 10 turnovers and ten personal fouls between them, and Russ, despite his gaudy stats, still looks to be finding his place in the offense. Center Clint Capela burned Dallas with 21 points and 22 rebounds, including 10 offensive boards that gave his team crucial second chances and kept them in the game. The Rox looked a little gassed by the end of the contest, having played in California on Friday night. Former Mav Tyson Chandler played for only 3 minutes, and his only recorded stat was 1 personal foul. 

Observations

Ceballos thought the defense led to the outstanding offense, and credited the defense for winning the game. He also complimented the team for being focused from the jump, going about their business in professional fashion, and never flagging. 

Carlisle insisted that, although this was a big win, it is only one step in a day-to-day process. He thought fatigue was a factor for Houston, and noted that the Mavs were able to take advantage of that. He was proud of his team's effort, and especially appreciated the great start, opining that playing in front is the biggest key to winning in the NBA. While acknowledging the squad's mistakes, he was encouraged that the guys played through them.

Podcasts. Listened to Mavs Moneyball's Mavs After Dark, and the Locked on Mavericks pod, and they had a couple of interesting observations/reporting. 

Mavs After Dark pondered the question of why Hardaway performs so much better in the starting unit. One theory is that the game is much easier for him playing with Luka, as he doesn't have to worry unduly about creating. A second hypothesis was that with Luka on the court, Tim doesn't feel so much pressure to score, and doesn't feel compelled to throw up bad shots. I would buy both of these reasons, and don't think they're mutually exclusive. 

Locked on Mavs reported that Porzingis told Brad Townsend after the game that KP thinks that the Mavs are beginning to develop that killer instinct, saying that the team was determined that there was no way they were losing that game, in response to Houston's late run. Not to bring politics into this, but Nick (of the podcast) compared James Harden's notorious foul-drawing to Trump, on the theory that they both just throw a lot of stuff at the wall, not caring how it looks or if it's wrong, just playing the odds that it will mostly work for them. I think I will join Isaac (also of the pod) in leaving that one alone, lol.  

My impressions. I thought this was the Mavs' biggest win of the season. As a group, they are visibly gelling, which is exciting. I had been a little worried that some of the previous blowouts had been supported by unsustainable three-point shooting, but the Mavs were able to put this one away with a good, but not outlandish, 39% from deep. I was probably most impressed with how well the defense is coming together, in addition to the coaches' playoff-like adjustments. The Mavericks approached the game in a very professional manner, and led for the whole 48 minutes. Truly a statement win, announcing that Dallas is a factor to be reckoned with in the West. Good job, guys!

Next. The Mavs face another tough test on Tuesday, when the Clippers come to town. Looking forward to it!
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:  
Is Hardaway going to emerge as this team's third star? If so, that would be huge. The guard was the team's second leading scorer, with 31 points on 10-18 shooting, along with 6-7 free throws. At times, he operated as a second point guard, with 5 assists and only 1 turnover in a team-high 38 minutes. Carlisle praised THJ for a great floor game, great scoring punch and defense, and serving as a "connector." Hardaway had drawn a lot of fan ire for his poor shooting early on, and the coaches have been working with him on some glitches they saw in his footwork. It looks like a case of good teachers and a good learner!

Interesting stat...the team hasn't lost a game in which THJ gets 2 assists or more.  During the five game win streak he's had 5,4,4,2 and 3 assists.  What is interesting about his assists this season is they are just a little above his career average, but his TO% is half his career average.  Many have said if we could just get 16/17 Hardaway (his most efficient shooting year), we'd have something.  Many of his stats this season look just like his 16/17 stats (the exception is 2% which is down, but he's taking far fewer of them)

His TS% is the highest it has been since then (.551 now vs. .568 then).  His 3% at .367 is the highest it has ever been (.358 in 16/17).  The main reason for that is he's taking 1/3 of his 3's from the corner and hitting half of them.  He hit 41% of his corner 3's during his brief time with the team last season.  He probably won't stay as hot as he's been lately nor as cold as he was earlier.  I do agree with the idea that playing next to SUPER high usage Luka protects Hardaway from himself.  Some of that is on Luka and some of it is on the coaching staff which has asked THJ to play a different role.

I'm really enjoying these write ups.  Thanks.
Like Reply
If teams start double-teaming Doncic like we did with Harden, can we trust the other 4 players to make the right decision? I hope so.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavs' coaching staff deserve credit for designing a crushing game plan.

Ain't that the truth! Our guys were really ready for this one! On a funny side note, if the Mavs ever got down in this game, I expected to see JJB get in there as a known Westbrook agitator and work that guy into a frenzy as he's done so often. Would have loved to see that anyway as RW got pretty agitated anyway, and have JJB send him over the top!

(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Locked on Mavs reported that Porzingis told Brad Townsend after the game that KP thinks that the Mavs are beginning to develop that killer instinct, saying that the team was determined that there was no way they were losing that game, in response to Houston's late run.

I LOVE hearing this! This is the first baby step, and it's been happening for the last 3 games. The game is one of streaks, the Mavs bench were trying in the 4th to hold on to the lead. I will say, the way they both played, when RC put Luka and KP in, I had every confidence that they would put the game away, and they did. Really cool to see them go out "finishing the job" for the end of the game with time on the clock.

(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I thought this was the Mavs' biggest win of the season. As a group, they are visibly gelling, which is exciting.

Yes! For me, this ousted the Lakers loss as the best game of the season. There is still so much room for improvement with KP and some of the other guys, I'm getting more and more excited.

(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Next. The Mavs face another tough test on Tuesday, when the Clippers come to town. Looking forward to it!

Me too! I wanted to at least go 2-2 in this 4 game stretch. Lets get that second win on Tuesday and have the other two games as bonus statement games!
Like Reply
Great work as always Mavsluvr!  It seems, like the Mavericks franchise, you have returned with a vengeance, and to championship form for the season!

Yeah, this team is for real.  The Laker's loss was actually a robbery and should have been a win.  This one and that one should put the league on notice if they weren't already that Dallas is back!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 08:48 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great work as always Mavsluvr!  It seems, like the Mavericks franchise, you have returned with a vengeance, and to championship form for the season!

Yeah, this team is for real.  The Laker's loss was actually a robbery and should have been a win.  This one and that one should put the league on notice if they weren't already that Dallas is back!

[Image: giphy.gif]

He is doing extraordinary work, but wouldn't say he is back to form yet.
Mavsluvr isnt in championship form yet and just as the Mavs is heating up.

Super happy to have him back. Still irritated he came back the same time as Mak left.

@"Dahlsim" I'm glad to have you here as well. You seem to be the lonely community contributors @ mavssi
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 02:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Kristaps outdid himself again, with his new best game as a Mav. He put 23 points and 13 rebounds on the scoresheet, and was phenomenal on the defensive end. Rick waxed enthusiastic about the big man's rim protection, rebounding, outlet passing, cutting, hitting open shots, crashing the offensive boards (3 ORB), and very good passing. The Luka-KP connection is coming along nicely, with the two linking up often. Porzingis did not automatically put the ball up when he got the ball, electing to pass or tip to teammates on a number of occasions and recording 3 assists. This promises to be one of the deadliest duos in the game. 
He is close to AD points and better rebounding of late.  His outside shot is better than AD and he changes more shots at the rim than AD.  AD is better at the mid range and creating his shot.  It wouldn't be a stretch to say the Mavs big 2 may have better stats than LeBron and AD at the end of the year.  If the rest of the team can match the Lakers output, why not the Mavs.
Like Reply
I greatly appreciate what Tim Hardaway Jr is doing.  He's played very, very well...but I do not trust him right now to stay the course.

He is controlling the urge to take knuckleheaded shots and crazy pullups....but will that last.  I sure hope it does.  I'll take every good shot he takes.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
I think Derek Harper deserves some love here for once; he was low-key ripping on Harden and Westbrook the whole game...
Like Reply
I think we need a love button in addition to the like button just for use on mavsluvr posts and a few others. Shy
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
The Knicks crazy overpaid for THJ in free agency, but partly because he was a legit good NBA player in Atlanta. It just takes a while to detox the Knick experience out of players. Both THJ and KP are finding their specific niches on this team, neither one were afforded specialized "roles" in New York, and both were required to play hero ball an inordinate amount.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 08:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ain't that the truth! Our guys were really ready for this one! On a funny side note, if the Mavs ever got down in this game, I expected to see JJB get in there as a known Westbrook agitator and work that guy into a frenzy as he's done so often. Would have loved to see that anyway as RW got pretty agitated anyway, and have JJB send him over the top!

Dude may have had a stroke if RC played the JJB card! Big Grin
Like Reply
Can we get some RC love? Completly outschemed D`Anthony. Rockets never found an answer for the double teams and the strange combination of man/zone.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 12:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Can we get some RC love? Completly outschemed D`Anthony. Rockets never found an answer for the double teams and the strange combination of man/zone.

No doubt. Rick himself gave his staff credit for the defensive game plan. A good coach spreads the love. 

I'm impressed that the team seems to have come together so quickly. Coaching has to get some credit for that. Rick isn't a "roll the ball out" coach, and he get's a lot of flak for that. He molds teams to what he envision, which is a different work of art for each group. He's known among league professionals for finding what each player can do and fitting that player into a role that contributes to the final team masterpiece, which requires time and hard work. The Mavs are playing like they're much more than just 16 games in to the project timeline.   

Well done so far Coach!
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 12:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Can we get some RC love? Completly outschemed D`Anthony. Rockets never found an answer for the double teams and the strange combination of man/zone.
Some RC love would be in order. Carlisle's schemes tend to require a fair amount of BBIQ and athleticism, and he works best when he has the personnel to execute them well. Kudos to him for molding this motley crew into a functioning machine in short order! Of course, being able to ride Dirk/Luka would be a boon for any coach.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 12:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Of course, being able to ride Dirk/Luka would be a boon for any coach.

For sure! Rick credited Dirk often, saying things like, "Look, he's the Great Dirk Nowitzki. We're all fortunate to be along for the ride." I'm sure we'll hear similar things said by Rick about Luka as the season march along. And Dirk praises Rick. Luka will probably do the same. But, of course, no coach can win without the right players. Cuban: "It's a players league".
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 06:27 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Interesting stat...the team hasn't lost a game in which THJ gets 2 assists or more.  During the five game win streak he's had 5,4,4,2 and 3 assists.  What is interesting about his assists this season is they are just a little above his career average, but his TO% is half his career average.  Many have said if we could just get 16/17 Hardaway (his most efficient shooting year), we'd have something.  Many of his stats this season look just like his 16/17 stats (the exception is 2% which is down, but he's taking far fewer of them)

His TS% is the highest it has been since then (.551 now vs. .568 then).  His 3% at .367 is the highest it has ever been (.358 in 16/17).  The main reason for that is he's taking 1/3 of his 3's from the corner and hitting half of them.  He hit 41% of his corner 3's during his brief time with the team last season.  He probably won't stay as hot as he's been lately nor as cold as he was earlier.  I do agree with the idea that playing next to SUPER high usage Luka protects Hardaway from himself.  Some of that is on Luka and some of it is on the coaching staff which has asked THJ to play a different role.
Thanks for unearthing these stats, Dan. I saw somewhere (sorry, can't remember the source) that Tim was not squaring his feet up to the basket, and the coaches noticed and worked with him on it. Whether that was the issue or not, his mechanics are better now, and that is showing in a big way in his shooting. Agree that this hot streak may not be sustainable, but even an evolution from a questionable rotation player to a useful starter is big.
Like Reply
We might just hit 160 if Powell ever gets into the flow. Still doesn't seem quite right physically
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

No doubt. Rick himself gave his staff credit for the defensive game plan. A good coach spreads the love. 

I'm impressed that the team seems to have come together so quickly. Coaching has to get some credit for that. Rick isn't a "roll the ball out" coach, and he get's a lot of flak for that. He molds teams to what he envision, which is a different work of art for each group. He's known among league professionals for finding what each player can do and fitting that player into a role that contributes to the final team masterpiece, which requires time and hard work. The Mavs are playing like they're much more than just 16 games in to the project timeline.   

Well done so far Coach!

Carlisle stopped tinkering right after the 2nd New York game. He tightened the rotations. Without curry's illness we might not have seen Timmy as a starter very soon. It's not that Curry isn't working as a starter.

He changes Luka minute distribution. He let Luka play off ball some. Curry brought the ball up multiple times and handled the ball. Hardaway does the same.

He stopped extreme experimentation and put winning first. The whole team plays a different style.

He put his curiosity to rest and now they play to win only.

I mean it's extreme, he basically changed everything that wasn't working. 

So what happened before must have been his responsibility as well.

I hope they can keep this up.

Last thing I need to see them dealing with physical teams.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 06:57 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: If teams start double-teaming Doncic like we did with Harden, can we trust the other 4 players to make the right decision? I hope so.
Luka has been subject to a fair number of double and triple teams already, and he is very good at passing out of them. But you are right that, at some point, opponents will start detailed game planning for him, and then we'll see how the Mavs respond. So far, Doncic has been good about finding the right guy.
Like Reply