Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 7: UTA (6-3) @ DAL (4-3) | 103-100 win
(11-03-2022, 07:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: NBA.com has the Wood/Maxi net rating at 12.5.  It is the 7th most used two man lineup.

All of the Powell combos are ridiculously good on the basis of net rating (in 3 games), so it is difficult to distinguish what works best (same applies to Green BTW).  We are just starting to see some Powell/Wood and some Powell/Maxi minutes.  In extremely small samples, both combos are fantastic.  In theory, any two man combo between Wood, Maxi and Powell should work.  I suspect you are correct that there are times in the game (against subs) where Powell as the solo-big would work.  I personally wouldn't start Powell as a solo big, but don't mind him doing it against subs if he has some defensive help.  The emergence of Green would help here as you could play any combo of DFS/Green or DFS/Bullock with Powell and a PG and probably steal some positive minutes.  Again, the Green net rating numbers are just ridiculous with everyone right now, so it is hard to know what would work best.

The thing I would point out to those who say Powell can only do this in the regular season we don't know that he can't do it in the playoffs if paired with a big like Wood or Maxi.  We were so thin up front that we didn't have the luxury last year of playing Powell with Maxi in the playoffs.  The year before, both the playoff Powell/KP and Powell/Maxi minutes were nicely positive.  Putting him with Wood or Maxi is just a dramatically different dynamic than asking him to hold down the paint by himself against playoff starters.  It would be nice if McGee would come down with a mysterious yet minor injury for a few weeks so Kidd could spend the next 10 game sample trying out some Wood/Maxi, Wood/Powell, Powell/Maxi and Powell/DFS lineups at various points in the game.

It is a good point about Powell and the playoffs last year.   Maybe this year we have more options with Wood.  Last year we were so limited with Powell and Maxi.  Time will tell.  I agree with others that I like Powell off the bench.  I like him entering the game where the game is a little loose.  I think his activity works best in that environment.

It is sad to think that McGee may already be a sunk cost.  What a fail.  I keep looking for any morsel that he is redeemable.   I don't want to make a final judgement in just 7 games, but man it doesn't look good now.  

I was a little scared away on Conley's age and contract this offseason, but I think I would trade him straight up for Hardaway right now without second though.    Unfortunately, I don't see any way the Jazz would want Hardaway.   I think that change would position this team way better.    I don't want to write Hardaway off but he needs to play better.    He needs to be much more efficient if he is taking those shots.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • LifeAquatic, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 07:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don't want to write Hardaway off but he needs to play better.    He needs to be much more efficient if he is taking those shots.

He has been inefficient in such a role his whole career. The only time he wasn't inefficient was under RC, who recognized a spot up shooter in him. No idea why Kidd is forcing him into a position he is not good at. He is 29, he is what he is and will not suddenly become a different player. Play him to his strengths, not his weaknesses...
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 08:15 AM)omahen Wrote: He has been inefficient in such a role his whole career. The only time he wasn't inefficient was under RC, who recognized a spot up shooter in him. No idea why Kidd is forcing him into a position he is not good at. He is 29, he is what he is and will not suddenly become a different player. Play him to his strengths, not his weaknesses...

He was good in Atlanta too.  He is the kind of player that needs the right situation, and currently this is not it.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 09:01 AM)mvossman Wrote: He was good in Atlanta too.  He is the kind of player that needs the right situation, and currently this is not it.
He was young potential in Atlanta scoring 14 ppg off the bench (only 1 of the 2 years) first year in Atl he was 33%, second 35% from 3. Not exactly stellar, but he was young with a big name.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 07:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The thing I would point out to those who say Powell can only do this in the regular season we don't know that he can't do it in the playoffs if paired with a big like Wood or Maxi.  We were so thin up front that we didn't have the luxury last year of playing Powell with Maxi in the playoffs.  The year before, both the playoff Powell/KP and Powell/Maxi minutes were nicely positive.  Putting him with Wood or Maxi is just a dramatically different dynamic than asking him to hold down the paint by himself against playoff starters.  It would be nice if McGee would come down with a mysterious yet minor injury for a few weeks so Kidd could spend the next 10 game sample trying out some Wood/Maxi, Wood/Powell, Powell/Maxi and Powell/DFS lineups at various points in the game.

This is an extremely good point.  I remember after the TDL thinking we were completely screwed with Powell as the lone big.  It was maybe Kidd's greatest coaching accomplishment that he somehow turned Powell into a useful single big.  It all fell apart in the playoffs, and I think it was so bad it made most of us forget that Powell has spent most of his career with a floor spacing big (Maxi and KP).

If you recognize that Powell still has value, it makes the McGee signing all the more puzzling.  You are basically looking for a third center that can soak up some minutes and bruising throughout the regular season.  That is a minimum signing, not 3/17 and a starting role for a mid 30s backup center.
Like Reply
It's starting again I see
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 09:53 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He was young potential in Atlanta scoring 14 ppg off the bench (only 1 of the 2 years) first year in Atl he was 33%, second 35% from 3. Not exactly stellar, but he was young with a big name.

In Atlanta he played a Jordan Clarkson like 6th man role. I guess that is what the Mavs are trying right now. His 3-point shooting wasn´t great but overall he scored 15-20ppg on above league average efficiency (+1-2%rTS combined with a low turnover percentage). That´s the good kind of chucker.
In the RC Mavs years he was on a tight leash. Catch and shoot guy next to Luka. And it worked. Two seasons with elite 3-point volume + efficiency.

Right now it feels like he is caught in between. Not really a 6th man because he is sharing the floor with SD and Wood. Not really a catch and shoot option because he rarely occupies the areas of the floor that used to be his got to spots (right wing, corner). Leading to an infuriating number of attempts from the top of the key. Either pull up or really deep catch and shoot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 10:44 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In Atlanta he played a Jordan Clarkson like 6th man role. I guess that is what the Mavs are trying right now. His 3-point shooting wasn´t great but overall he scored 15-20ppg on above league average efficiency (+1-2%rTS combined with a low turnover percentage). That´s the good kind of chucker.
In the RC Mavs years he was on a tight leash. Catch and shoot guy next to Luka. And it worked. Two seasons with elite 3-point volume + efficiency.

Right now it feels like he is caught in between. Not really a 6th man because he is sharing the floor with SD and Wood. Not really a catch and shoot option because he rarely occupies the areas of the floor that used to be his got to spots (right wing, corner). Leading to an infuriating number of attempts from the top of the key. Either pull up or really deep catch and shoot.
He was only in Atl for 2 years and 1 of them wasn’t what you’re describing. So for 1 year in Atl and 2 years in Dal he was a fine player. He also has never been good in a bench role during his stay in Dal.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 10:21 AM)mvossman Wrote: This is an extremely good point.  I remember after the TDL thinking we were completely screwed with Powell as the lone big.  It was maybe Kidd's greatest coaching accomplishment that he somehow turned Powell into a useful single big.  It all fell apart in the playoffs, and I think it was so bad it made most of us forget that Powell has spent most of his career with a floor spacing big (Maxi and KP).

If you recognize that Powell still has value, it makes the McGee signing all the more puzzling.  You are basically looking for a third center that can soak up some minutes and bruising throughout the regular season.  That is a minimum signing, not 3/17 and a starting role for a mid 30s backup center.

In the big scheme of things, it was a small gamble.  $6m/year pales in comparison with some bigger decisions, such as whether to extend Wood, and at what price. Or whether to offer Brunson $30m/year.

All the angst reminds me of the Burke $3m/yr kerfluffle.

Maybe McGee just contributes 8 or 10 minutes per game of net-neutral play.  Maybe he's the kryptonite for a couple of specific centers he's matched up against throughout the season.  A complementary piece, not a cornerstone. Don't sweat the $6m.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
I hate the idea of Wood with McGee. Thankfully, the Mavs seem to agree. 

I like the idea of Wood with Kleber, once some chemistry is developed, but as many have pointed out you run out of bigs really fast if you're chained to that the entire time Wood is on the floor. 

I don't hate the idea of Wood with Powell. It's more limited than I would like on offense, but not prohibitively so, and I think it can work fairly well on defense, where Powell is hella underrated. 

I hope they don't give up on the idea that Wood can learn to be out there alone. There's a lot riding on that eventuality, imho.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 10:56 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: In the big scheme of things, it was a small gamble.  $6m/year pales in comparison with some bigger decisions, such as whether to extend Wood, and at what price. Or whether to offer Brunson $30m/year.

All the angst reminds me of the Burke $3m/yr kerfluffle.

Maybe McGee just contributes 8 or 10 minutes per game of net-neutral play.  Maybe he's the kryptonite for a couple of specific centers he's matched up against throughout the season.  A complementary piece, not a cornerstone. Don't sweat the $6m.

A couple of points:

The biggest problem is they keep giving out these contracts.  multi-year non min contracts for min guys.  WCS, Burke, Brown, Boban, McGee.  That adds up fast.  Its a recurring problem and frustrating to watch over and over again.

Its particularly annoying in this case because we had such limited assets and major holes to fill.  Once you traded for Wood, go get a min center and spend that tax MLE on the best playmaker/wing you can find.

The frustration is exacerbated by him getting a starting role and keeping it so far no matter how bad he plays.  Its one thing if he stinks it up 10 minutes a game against second units, but when he is doing at beginning of the game it is so much more obvious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 09:59 PM)cow Wrote: Westbrook it is, then.  Just remember everyone, Scott wanted this to happen.

I was having computer problems last night and didn't see the WB giphy. 

Are you kidding me? THJ/Bertans/McGee for WB? Getting out of our three worst contracts? If I'm Nico, I get on the phone with LA and offer that package for WB and two firsts, and keep them on the line while they chop off the second first out of hand, and keep them engaged until the first becomes a second, and say "Deal!" before they can backtrack. WB wouldn't be bad for a season under those circumstances, and none of those three guys are helping us win right now. Should virtually ensure Wood's re-signing. Wouldn't we have the full MLE as well?

Luka
Green
Bullock
DFS
Wood

Dinwiddie
WB
Powell
Maxi
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I was having computer problems last night and didn't see the WB giphy. 

Are you kidding me? THJ/Bertans/McGee for WB? Getting out of our three worst contracts? If I'm Nico, I get on the phone with LA and offer that package for WB and two firsts, and keep them on the line while they chop off the second first out of hand, and keep them engaged until the first becomes a second, and say "Deal!" before they can backtrack. WB wouldn't be bad for a season under those circumstances, and none of those three guys are helping us win right now. Should virtually ensure Wood's re-signing. Wouldn't we have the full MLE as well?

Luka
Green
Bullock
DFS
Wood

Dinwiddie
WB
Powell
Maxi

We would have to send a first in that trade, not the other way around.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: We would have to send a first in that trade, not the other way around.

I didn't say we get a first out of LA. That's where negotiation skills come in.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I didn't say we get a first out of LA. That's where negotiation skills come in.

I don't think LA remotely thinks about that trade, even if we are sending a first.  I don't think they are looking for that.  If I had to come up with a reasonable trade that they might possible except it would be:

Timmy/Powell/Bullock for Russ

I'm not sure they would be willing to take on Timmy, but this is the kind of trade they might do.  Are you interested in that?
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think LA remotely thinks about that trade, even if we are sending a first.  I don't think they are looking for that.  If I had to come up with a reasonable trade that they might possible except it would be:

Timmy/Powell/Bullock for Russ

I'm not sure they would be willing to take on Timmy, but this is the kind of trade they might do.  Are you interested in that?

Make it THJ/Bullock/McGee, and then probably yes.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Make it THJ/Bullock/McGee, and then probably yes.

I would consider that as well, but if Timmy's contract was already pushing it, adding another 6 mil with McGee would likely kill it.  I don't know if they have any positive vibes from the last time he was there, but his coaches are long gone (one of them is here).  Also, I don't think we can trade McGee yet.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:47 PM)mvossman Wrote: Also, I don't think we can trade McGee yet.

Sometime in December he becomes tradeable.
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:17 PM)mvossman Wrote: Powell is a good regular season player against second units.  I feel like he would have been less useless in the playoffs if he was played that way.  So far (small sample) we know that Maxi/Wood has worked really well, and Powell has worked really well as single big.  There is nothing to go on yet regarding Powell/Wood as they have hardly ever played together.  My guess is we will see some of that, but I think Maxi is a better fit with Wood both offensively and defensively and his defense is more valuable against starting units, while Powell's rim running is more valuable against second units.

I’m okay either way. All of those two man combos should work. I just want to limit Maxi’s minutes in the regular season. He wears down faster than most and isn’t getting any younger.  He was terrible in the second half of the year last season and we were lucky he rallied in several playoff games.  I want Maxi fresh for the playoffs. Powell and Wood seem like more durable players to me.
Like Reply