Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2: MEM (2-1) @ DAL (1-1) | 137-96 win
Forget Luka beating the head to head matchup vs Morant. Wood's performance beat Ja's!

Wood is now a 62% FT shooter. Also, 24 trips to the FT line is amazing!
Like Reply
Nico...make THJ go away
[-] The following 3 users Like dynamicalVoid's post:
  • MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
This team is a title contender with this same squad + Jalen Brunson. 

Those THJ and Josh Green minutes are the only ugly thing watching them.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Branduil, Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 10:30 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: This team is a title contender with this same squad + Jalen Brunson. 

1 is not like the other.

[Image: green1.png]

How Green getting critized is beyond me, when the Mavs are currently +43.5 with him on the floor, and just +6 with him off the floor.

He has a lot of stock with Kleber that the bench defense is insane. Wood is great, no question. But people cant possible think SD, THJ and Wood are the reason the bench is played lockdown defense in those 2 games.

THJ sitting at a negative 23.9 defensive on/off (worst on the Mavs) overall, yet the bench defense is still insane.

90th DefRtg after 2 games with Green on the floor is a statement. And the Mavs didn't play exactly bum teams.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 01:11 AM)sefant Wrote: 1 is not like the other.

How Green getting critized is beyond me, when the Mavs are currently +43.5 with him on the floor, and just +6 with him off the floor.

He has a lot of stock with Kleber that the bench defense is insane. Wood is great, no question. But people cant possible think SD, THJ and Wood are the reason the bench is played lockdown defense in those 2 games.

THJ sitting at a negative 23.9 defensive on/off (worst on the Mavs) overall, yet the bench defense is still insane.

90th DefRtg after 2 games with Green on the floor is a statement. And the Mavs didn't play exactly bum teams.

I agree. Green is a good up and coming player. Really like his energy. Wood is going to be amazing in Dallas. I think THJ gets moved by the TDL.

These guys are nasty. I mean stanky nasty. This team is about to turn some heads.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
I wonder if we'll lean more and more into offensive rebounding as the season goes on

Luka, DFS, McGee and Wood could really do a number on some teams if they made that goal and forfeited some easy transition attempts
Typically last year there was only one guy at a time crashing while everyone else ran back.
Like Reply
I am very disappointed in Green so far. If he can't finish at the rim, or dunk the basketball EVERY TIME he gets the chance (rather than once every 20th game), I think his ceiling is way too low.

But I like Hardaway even less, mostly because of the much greater financial obligation and the difficulty in moving him. He looks like he should be a skilled player. His efficiency is horrendous, however. Carlisle was a genius in making him look like a useful asset.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 02:17 AM)F Gump Wrote: I am very disappointed in Green so far. If he can't finish at the rim, or dunk the basketball EVERY TIME he gets the chance (rather than once every 20th game), I think his ceiling is way too low.

But I like Hardaway even less, mostly because of the much greater financial obligation and the difficulty in moving him. He looks like he should be a skilled player. His efficiency is horrendous, however. Carlisle was a genius in making him look like a useful asset.

At least I was right about not resigning THJ.  I can't imagine we can move him by the TDL cleanly so he'll probably be here until after the draft.  His offense will improve once he gets some rust off but his decision making is almost as bad as his defense at times.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 02:22 AM)cow Wrote: At least I was right about not resigning THJ.  I can't imagine we can move him by the TDL cleanly so he'll probably be here until after the draft.  His offense will improve once he gets some rust off but his decision making is almost as bad as his defense at times.

Yeah I was blinded by that playoff run where he was our second best player and we nearly beat an amazing Clippers team
I also didn't quite get the tax ramifications. I thought it'd take multiple seasons for the penalties to get as severe as they would have been Year 1 if we re-signed Brunson
Like Reply
THJ was a much better fit under RC. Kidd demands more from his players on defense. More switching, rotations and overall activity off the ball. Basically his biggest weakness. 1v1 defense is fine.
And on offense THJ is asked to do more with the ball in his hands. Also not a strength. Under RC he was getting more catch and shoot attempts.

If he cannot find a role on the current Mavs team he could be a useful asset for a LeBron or Harden lead team. Probably a negative asset but he should be moveable without giving up future assets.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply

I don´t know this Doncic guy, but when you only feature in two of the 20 best units my advanced brain says he should not play 33 MPG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I know it was complete garbage time, but I really liked how easily those 4 buckets came for Tyler Dorsey. Seems to have a quick, pure release. Unsure about his D, but I wonder if he buys himself anymore playing time in the near future?
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 03:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: THJ was a much better fit under RC. Kidd demands more from his players on defense. More switching, rotations and overall activity off the ball. Basically his biggest weakness. 1v1 defense is fine.
And on offense THJ is asked to do more with the ball in his hands. Also not a strength. Under RC he was getting more catch and shoot attempts.

Yeah, RC was much better at finding a niche for THJ.
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 07:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, RC was much better at finding a niche for THJ.
I tried to warn you people that there’s a chance he reverts to his old self and the 2 years might be the outliers in his 10 year career. I tried to say he hasn’t been that guy when coming off the bench. 

I hated his resigning, especially at that amount. Some said it would be alright and was market value. Well, look at what signing players at market value gets you! 

After saying all that, I’m also here to say, it’s only been 2 games after a long injury recovery. The dude needs much more time to get back IMO. A long injury recovery like that it could take 40 games before he is “right” again.

Edit: BTW, we have 2 guys on the team that are signed at market value and we’ll have a very hard time moving them. Duncan Robinson and Buddy Hield were signed at market value. DR was unplayable in the playoffs and it took forever and assets to find a taker for Hield. Market value isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 08:28 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I tried to warn you people that there’s a chance he reverts to his old self and the 2 years might be the outliers in his 10 year career. I tried to say he hasn’t been that guy when coming off the bench. 

I hated his resigning, especially at that amount. Some said it would be alright and was market value. Well, look at what signing players at market value gets you! 

After saying all that, I’m also here to say, it’s only been 2 games after a long injury recovery. The dude needs much more time to get back IMO. A long injury recovery like that it could take 40 games before he is right again.

Yeah I agree.   I think it will be an odd fit and one the Mavs will eventually look to upgrade from, but lets give him some time.   Hardaway is a rhythm player.  Coming off an injury and I am sure even if healthy it may not be like riding a bike.   lets give him 30 games or so.   

I am not expecting it to be a great fit, but I think he can work.   We just need him to shoot better and be a little bit more efficient.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 08:28 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I tried to warn you people that there’s a chance he reverts to his old self and the 2 years might be the outliers in his 10 year career. I tried to say he hasn’t been that guy when coming off the bench. 

After saying all that, I’m also here to say, it’s only been 2 games after a long injury recovery. The dude needs much more time to get back IMO. A long injury recovery like that it could take 40 games before he is “right” again.

Edit: BTW, we have 2 guys on the team that are signed at market value and we’ll have a very hard time moving them. Duncan Robinson and Buddy Hield were signed at market value. DR was unplayable in the playoffs and it took forever and assets to find a taker for Hield. Market value isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!

Truth. 

Kinda makes us glad we didn't re-sign Jalen Brunson, eh?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 10:31 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Truth. 

Kinda makes us glad we didn't re-sign Jalen Brunson, eh?
JB was signed over market value. I’m mostly only upset with not getting anything in return.
[-] The following 4 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 10:30 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: This team is a title contender with this same squad + Jalen Brunson. 

We don't have Jalen Brunson.  We have to go with who we got...
Like Reply

I watched both games. Advanced stats from a two game sample size mean nothing. I don’t know the exact number for basketball but I’m assuming you need more than a half seasons worth of data to make conclusions. This is like Kammrath quoting plus minus after each game to say who was the best player. Also, Just because he was on the floor when the team made a run doesn’t mean he was the reason for the run. 

Green will be a non factor in the playoffs because he’s still scared on the offensive end. 

I swear being able to google stats has ruined peoples ability to watch the game and make obvious observations. And I’m strongly pro analytics.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 10:49 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I watched both games. Advanced stats from a two game sample size mean nothing. This is like Kamm quoting plus minus after each game to say who was the best player. Just because he was on the floor when the team made a run doesn’t mean he was the reason for the run. Green will be a non factor in the playoffs because he’s still scared on the offensive end. 

I swear being able to google stats has ruined peoples ability to watch the game and make obvious observations. And I’m strongly pro analytics.

There are more advanced stats than just plus/minus and collectively they tell the same story as the eye test.  He is way too timid offensively, but he is helping to anchor a unit defensively that has a lot of offensive firepower.  Its a good spot for him, but eventually he needs to be more aggressive offensively.
Like Reply