Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: DAL (0-1) @ PHX (1-0) | 105-107 loss
(10-20-2022, 08:14 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If Wood got more than 24 minutes, we wouldn’t be talking about offensive ball handling/creation.

I loved that Kidd let him basically play some PG in the half-court last night when Luka was sitting.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think I'm already over the McGee experiment. As for last night, there were two players for the Mavs that looked like legit NBA players and one of them sat down the stretch. Need a 3rd ball-handler if this team has any chance. It's Luka/Wood and 7-8 role players. Did DFS play last night?!
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 08:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I loved that Kidd let him basically play some PG in the half-court last night when Luka was sitting.
There were even times that Dinwiddie deferred to him during the game.
Like Reply
I will say, he had much better creativity when he was the secondary action as opposed to the primary. Mostly shot 3’s when he was the primary.
Like Reply
4 observations following the Dallas Mavericks opening night loss to the Phoenix Suns, 107-105 (msn.com)
Like Reply
Wood was the MVP.

Luka's 20 minute mental lapse from 9 mins left in the 3rd all the way to 3 mins left in the 4th lost all the momentum. Kidd not calling a timeout earlier in the 3rd was a dolt move as well. I would've kept Dinwiddie even with foul trouble in to ease the creation.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Also DFS was a ghost out there with horrific defense last night. Kleber was a no show the whole night as well.

Hard to win games like that.

Oh well. 81 more to go.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
This was a loss that shouldn't have happened.  I saw almost no teamwork...coaches included.  Only the second unit seemed prepared to play.  I saw some good individual play but this TEAM has a lot of work to do.  The coaches have a lot of work to do.

I was tired and a little sick last night, so the loss didn't do me any good.  But...hey!...we finally have some basketball to watch.

I think Wood is going to be ok.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Also DFS was a ghost out there with horrific defense last night.

DFS was fine.  Don't lump him in with Bullock, Green, Maxi, THJ and Kidd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
First game thoughts:

Wood is legit
Din can handle the second unit
Maxi was sick and played like it
Green's lack of offensive aggression was wildly disappointing
McGee was disappointing
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: Maxi was sick and played like it

I'm hoping that a lot of went wrong last night can be chalked up to this simple, glossed-over detail.
Like Reply
Big Grin 
(10-20-2022, 12:07 PM)cow Wrote: DFS was fine.  Don't lump him in with Bullock, Green, Maxi, THJ and Kidd.

Touchy, touchy..... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Luka's 20 minute mental lapse from 9 mins left in the 3rd all the way to 3 mins left in the 4th lost all the momentum.

Yeah, this isn't talked about enough because the rest of his game was great. But Luka absolutely had one of those stretches where not only was he not carrying the team, he was a big net negative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Also DFS was a ghost out there with horrific defense last night. Kleber was a no show the whole night as well.

He was fine for most of the game IMO, but I agree with the "ghost" comment....he was NOT impactful last night.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:41 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Touchy, touchy..... Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, this isn't talked about enough because the rest of his game was great. But Luka absolutely had one of those stretches where not only was he not carrying the team, he was a big net negative.

Green 2nd half on/off +124.6
Wood 2nd half on/off +110.7
Luka 2nd half on/off -136.5

Luka lineups prolly should do better than a 80 OTRG, and better than a 150 DTRG. 2nd half desaster class on both ends.

Don't even get the Green hate. DFS got only 2 shots, where is the hate there? People should rather be upset with THJ for stealing FG attempts from others. Otherwise the offensive output would been better.

Contrary to unpopular belief the Mavs had the BEST offensive output with Green on the floor in the 2nd half.

DFS, Bullock, Kleber barely got any shots, if you compare it to the playoffs. Wood is already more of a scorer than Brunson, Brunson was pretty passive at times and tried to get other involced. But THJ as a black hole on top destroying any kind of offensive / defensive balance.

THJ turning DFS into Green, because the team is basically Luka, SD, THJ, Wood getting 90 % of the FG attempts lol. Also that was the first game, not going to overreact. But THJ is a major problem for me. People wanna see more of Wood, not even sure how you wanna include THJ in any successful defensive lineups with Wood being a 35 min player (as he should).

Instead of working 3 months with Wood on defense Sweeney should have also worked with Luka + THJ. They are unplayable for even a single minute, if you want a defensive identity. Wood was a tier above on defense compared to both.

Green/Kleber combo also busted up the PnR Utah tried to run in the preseason game late in the 4th. Kidd should have tried that combo together. Green looked better on D than DFS/Bullock for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 01:03 PM)sefant Wrote: Green 2nd half on/off +124.6
Wood 2nd half on/off +110.7
Luka 2nd half on/off -136.5

Luka lineups prolly should do better than a 80 OTRG, and better than a 150 DTRG. 2nd half desaster class on both ends.

Don't even get the Green hate. DFS got only 2 shots, where is the hate there? People should rather be upset with THJ for stealing FG attempts from others. Otherwise the offensive output would been better.

Contrary to unpopular belief the Mavs had the BEST offensive output with Green on the floor in the 2nd half.

DFS, Bullock, Kleber barely got any shots, if you compare it to the playoffs. Wood is already more of a scorer than Brunson, Brunson was pretty passive at times and tried to get other involced. But THJ as a black hole on top destroying any kind of offensive / defensive balance.

THJ turning DFS into Green, because the team is basically Luka, SD, THJ, Wood getting 90 % of the FG attempts lol. Also that was the first game, not going to overreact. But THJ is a major problem for me. People wanna see more of Wood, not even sure how you wanna include THJ in any successful defensive lineups with Wood being a 35 min player (as he should).

Instead of working 3 months with Wood on defense Sweeney should have also worked with Luka + THJ. They are unplayable for even a single minute, if you want a defensive identity. Wood was a tier above on defense compared to both.

Green/Kleber combo also busted up the PnR Utah tried to run in the preseason game late in the 4th. Kidd should have tried that combo together. Green looked better on D than DFS/Bullock for me.

A LOT of good in here.

1) Luka's defense was absolutely exposed in the Maxi-only lineups in the second half. And then offensively that lineup was not effective either. He was -24 in the 2nd half. 

2) THJ was a big problem on both ends. He was -17 in the 2nd half.

3) I think the Maxi-only lineups were especially bad because it involved a Luka+THJ back court. Which it turns out is worse defensively I think than Luka+JB, which is astonishing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Free throws!?   Your top players, shooting free throws that poorly could easily tank a season. 

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
Like Reply
I get they were playing against second unit or few starters...but our second quarter with Wood and Green on the court seemed like it was the best ball we played.

Green was constantly handsy breaking up passes...or running down a loose ball with his quickness.   Hes definitely annoying on defense too.  They claim his one on one isnt all that but hes an overall good defender...I see him annoy ball handlers a lot.   Maybe the Irvings of the league can outclass him...but he seems more annoying to the other team than our other players do for the most part.   Maybe he misses a lot of assignments, I dont know.  Im a big Green supporter but I beat the drum on his flaws.  If his shot 3 shot is improved...it seems like with Luka and Wood on the court maybe he could get some serious minutes because he brings lots of energy on defense that I think elevate the team or could.   Im sure it would be argued that hes perfect as a second unit guy to exploit other teams second units defensively.

THJ is a mood killer.  

I dont care to talk about value of the contract...I, an uneducated casual, still have not been upset with Dinwiddie's play.  I love how he plays.   Willing passer,  his percentage might not be perfect but I dont mind his 3 shot at all and he seems to have good instincts on getting to the basket for easy layups.  Sure...a more All-Star level creator would be preferred...but is that person going to be like a THJ ball-hogger?  What I love about Dinwiddie is he seems to play within the offense...I dont ever see myself getting annoyed with him like I do THJ EVERY GAME.   Just because I like his style of play does that mean hes good or doesnt have defensive flaws but I think it works well here and hopefully if we upgrade THJ or Dinwiddie its a pass first or play within the flow of the game kind of guy.  Did you see Wood out there passing?  We need willing passers and less ball hogging.  Just go after an All-Star creator that doesnt ball hog or feel the need to contribute to the point of killing drives like THJ is all I ask.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-18-2022, 02:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: My main thing I'm going to be looking at is seeing how Wood integrates when Luka sits. Does Dinwiddie find him? Will Wood have a consistent defensive effort? If all those boxes are checked then I think we'll see a great game from him, which will be necessary.

Seems like Wood did have a great game and a lot of it came when Luka sat. I'm really encouraged to see that. 
(10-18-2022, 02:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Some ancillary smaller goals I have:
  • Can Green create/drive at least 3 times in the game?

• Can Hardy get on the court AND not get played off of it?

• O/U on McGee shaqtin moments is 2.5 

• Green was a complete no-show in terms of finding his own looks. He played a pretty big role in the 2nd with his pesky defense and passes to open shooters, but that's just been Josh Green for 2 years. Still waiting on that improvement.
  • Hardy was unable to see the court, but I wasn't that surprised. 
  • McGee didn't really have that many shaqtin moments, so good on him. 
Like Reply