Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: DAL (0-1) @ PHX (1-0) | 105-107 loss
Where is @"VintagePejav2". It´s almost an tradition to start a tank watch thread after the first loss.
Like Reply
You look at the starting five of some of these other teams in the West (Wolves, Pelicans) and you can easily see this going very wrong for the Mavs, as in play-in.
Like Reply
I think they have a huge THJ problem...especially with the rest of the rotation. He did not play well last year prior to the injury either. Seems to be a bad fit with the others. That was the refreshing part of him not being on the court last season - you did not have a black hole killing the flow of the offense and that allowed them to move the ball and let Bullock/DFS shine. But now you have THJ back and one less ball-handler/shot-creator without Brunson so this could be very ugly
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(10-19-2022, 11:53 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You look at the starting five of some of these other teams in the West (Wolves, Pelicans) and you can easily see this going very wrong for the Mavs, as in play-in.

Might be because they are convinced that it is the smartest option to have their second (or third) best player on the bench. Joined by another guy that started in last years playoff run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
My first reaction is actually that the Suns are a significantly impaired team compared to last year. They’re nowhere near as good. Chris Paul becoming more of a mentor than a key player is a big step backwards.  I expect them to struggle, relatively speaking. Maybe they can win 50ish games.

As for the Mavs?  Yikes. This is a very concerning loss. They’re clearly a player short. THJ was supposed to be that guy.  But he sucks. The rest of the team are good role players and Wood can finish plays. But none of them can really put it on the floor and beat you.  

Luka had a great effort tonight and Wood looks like he can step into Zinger’s role, but there’s not much else to like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-19-2022, 11:52 PM)haveitall Wrote: This team is not bad.  Cant win against a team like the Suns when missing 13 free throws.  Even without Wood the bench is amazing.  Dallas looked like the better more talented team even though we lost.  Wood is like a shorter Wembanyama, surprisingly good handles.   His defense was mostly pretty good.  Good rebounder, and played a physical game, good passer.

That's what is frustrating.
The Suns didn't win this. The Mavs were finding ways to lose, and they barely got away with it.
Like Reply
Guys hear me out... maybe we give THJ a few games?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-19-2022, 11:52 PM)haveitall Wrote: This team is not bad. 

That´s not the problem. The problem is just like the post-championship Dirk teams, this team has a clear ceiling. There is no room for internal growth. There are no highly talented players coming back from injury or some young stud to raise the ceiling of the team. That´s why the Mavs should have gone for Markkanen instead of THJ. That´s why they should have gone for Hartenstein/Smith instead of McGee.

You know what was the biggest reason for our success last year? The internal growth of Jalen Brunson in the absence of Luka. Without that growth, we lose in the 1st round yet again.

The goal is not to be not bad. A team with Luka can´t be bad, just like the Cavs with LeBron couldn´t be bad, even with Mo Williams and Varejao as the next best players.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1582959315559731200?s=20&t=TfmALGhwwGiHVJHPrag-0w
Like Reply
THJ = hoists shot after shot, nothing else.
Lauri = Can do what THJ does, but surprisingly better at the dribble and can actually go to the hoop.

Mavs sign THJ.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:01 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Guys hear me out... maybe we give THJ a few games?

1 down, 245 to go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:07 AM)cow Wrote: 1 down, 245 to go.

I was thinking a few more than McShaqtin so like... 5 or 6.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
Anyone notice Wood being a defensive liability against a solid squad trying to win?

It didnt jump off the screen to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:11 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Anyone notice Wood being a defensive liability against a solid squad trying to win?

It didnt jump off the screen to me.

Not a knock on Wood, I even remember a nice block he had, but I wouldn't call the Suns a solid squad which makes this loss all the more embarrassing.
Like Reply
So Maxi played 26 minutes tonight to Wood’s 24?  That’s brutally idiotic.  It’s idiotic on its own merits, but also, Maxi was breaking down during the second half of last year. He rallied in the playoffs but the physical decline is likely to resume this season. He was awful tonight. And, if he keep playing 26 minutes per night, his body will be broken by Christmas. Optimistically, he has maybe 15 minutes per in the tank.

And Wood is clearly the team’s second best player, or at least the only player on the roster who can be a second best player. He needs to play 35 minutes on most nights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I don't know what the fuss is about. They looked good tonight. Should have gotten the win but it's all good. The Mavs are getting new guys in and back to the rotation so I'm not worried. They are going to be beastly come playoff time if they keep working hard.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
My preseason thoughts:
- Wood will be good
- Third creator concerns
- Why are we promising a starting spot to McShaqtin?

Post game 1 realities:
- Wood was good
- There were in fact 3rd creator problems when Dinwiddie got into foul trouble 
- Promised to give McGee a few games before my detonation 

PUT ME IN THE FRONT OFFICE
Like Reply
I think we showed we're the better team, but took the foot of the gas and let them come back on a pretty easy game. 

Grades:

Finney-Smith (38): 3/10. 38 minutes and he was invisible. Was part of the problem when Booker-Ayton abused our defense. Pretty rough game for him.

Doncic (37): 7/10. Played a pretty good offensive game, controled the action and led the team to a big lead. Defense was suspect as always and made some bad decisions when they made their 17-3 run. 

Bullock (30): 5/10. Solid game from our 3&D guy. Nothing more comes to mind.

Dinwiddie (28): 5/10. Foul trouble bothered him the whole night and was part of the reason we struggled in the 3rd after his 4th foul. Missed 2 FT when the game got close that could have iced a little for us.

Kleber (26): 3/10. As DFS, he played a pretty pathetic 2nd half on both ends, being part of the abuse on the 3rd by Booker-Ayton. Not sure his illness had an effect, but his screens were far from good.

Hardaway (25): 2/10. Dreadful game. Took ill advised shots and couldn't hit the 3 even when wide open. His defense is such a negative factor letting anyone get past him with ease. Cearly not the team's needed 3rd ballhandler.

Wood (24): 8/10. Great game. By far who surprised me the most. Obviously has to work on his FT, but he drew a lot of contact and could have ended up with 30 by himself. Defense was better than what I saw in preseason.

J. Green (18): 5/10. Same Josh Green we knew. Effort, defense and nothing more. His 18 minutes were decent, could have tried a little more on O, but we didn't have a lot of movement to get him open looks.

J. McGee (14): 3/10. Made me want Powell to start next game. Did not add the presence in the paint FO thought, didn't help Luka a lot with his screens/movement as DP did on offense. Glad I didn't have to see much of him.

J. Kidd: 4/10. Could not figure out a way to save the team on PHO's runs. Gave Wood only 24 minutes which was a head scratcher. Has a lot to work, but I'll give him a pass for being the 1st game of the season.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 4 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
disappointing ending.

I was really surprised with Wood’s passing.  Great signs.  On a negative, I was always worried with his free throw shooting.  Thought it was odd he had such a good three point percentage and worried he was not that great of a shooter due to his ft percentage.  This will need to improve.  It was ugly at the ft line last night.  He was not the only one either.

I agree with the thoughts on Maxi.  For a guy who was questionable due to sickness, they certainly gave him heavy lifting.

Hardaway needs to be better.  I think we all agree a bigger wing who can handle would be an upgrade over him.  Not sure that move will be available this year, so Hardaway needs to play better.

I am really worried about wear and tear with Luka.  He is carrying a crazy load and there will be 20 plus minutes a night where nothing will happen if he doesn’t make it happen.  That is really concerning and can wear a player down.   Especially where most games the other teams have multiple creators on the floor.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Smitty, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply
If Wood got more than 24 minutes, we wouldn’t be talking about offensive ball handling/creation.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply