Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding
(07-10-2022, 10:03 PM)cow Wrote: You might be right.  Maybe Wood's run out of good graces in the league and isn't desirable.  Just dumping the four players we dumped is probably worth the first we paid.  Returning a rotation guy is a pretty big cherry on top, especially considering the talent level.  It's why I loved the move by the Mavs.  It's very moneyball.  

I personally am excited for Wood as he has a skillset that we haven't seen with Luka.  I think he's going to flourish.

I am excited about him, too. Don’t get me wrong. 

And I don’t know that it’s clear lowering future salary, either for a run at cap space or just to lower the future out-of-pocket for Cuban, was the goal here. But, I wouldn’t put it past him to think getting off of the meager amount of future (beyond this year) salary they did AND get one year of Wood for “only” a 1st is smart, even if the dude just walks (effectively making the luxury tax not an issue for quite a while).

Like, we all hope it works out and he’ll be re-signed, and if not, we’ll be disappointed. We assume they have the same hope, and maybe they do. But for Cuban, I’m starting to think the prospect of future benefits like that aren’t a hurdle these deals need to clear in order to motivate him to pull the trigger. I sure hope I’m wrong. I’m probably not articulating this fairly abstract thought clearly enough, but that’s for the best because in the headspace I have right now, it’s getting scarier with each passing second to be a Mavericks fan.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding - by KillerLeft - 07-10-2022, 10:11 PM