Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding
Marc Stein

Monday, I’m told, is the likely soonest for the Knicks’ long-awaited signing of Jalen Brunson to a four-year deal in excess of $100 million.

And as Fred Katz
reports below all signs point to New York signing him outright with cap space.

Just pointing out that teams do negotiate through the media.  

Danny Ainge:  "We plan to build around Donovan Mitchell" (meaning NY won't give us what we want).  
NY Knicks:  "Fred, I don't think this S&T is going to happen" (meaning Dallas won't give us what we want).  
So, Stein texts Cuban and he confirms "yeah, those guys are being assholes".  Negotiations get messy sometimes.

Not saying it is going to happen (and I don't think this is about a TPE, it is about using Brunson's outgoing to get a player).  But it isn't official yet, so it isn't over yet.  I use Mitchell as the example above (it doesn't have to be him) because I think it likely NY is trying to deal for him (another CAA client).  Duffy would know this if any of his guys (Beverley, Trent Forrest and Barrett) were in the deal  and would have certainly passed that on to his client Dragic.  

There is some PG excess between the two teams including veterans Beverley, Rose and Conley who would fit as a trade match with Brunson (or in the case of Conley, Brunson plus Powell).  The breakdown here doesn't have to be between Dallas and NY.  It could be between NY and Utah.  Maybe we are willing to give up something if the return is Conley/Beverley/Rose, but not to just get a TPE.  So, when NY/Utah breaks down...  Or, it could be Dallas is the problem, but NY and Utah would certainly find a way to work around this if that was the case.

There was a time when NY probably needed this to be a 3-way with Dallas and Detroit.  That went away with Gibson being cut.  I don't think they would have waited until several days into free agency to do that unless they thought they were close.  It is good business to be self reliant.  I've said before that Dallas has put itself in position that they 'can' be done, even if they hope for more.  Also good business. 

As I think through this, my guess is Conley over Beverley or Rose.  Conley is also CAA and I suspect they wouldn't want to strand him on tanking Utah to end his career.  Utah is light at center and expiring Powell could be a placeholder there until they draft or sign someone.   Conley has a deal like Bertans that is partially guaranteed at $14mm in year two (forever seeking flexibility).  And, if it was Beverley, Dallas could just deal Powell for him now.  But, Powell doesn't reach Conley without Brunson's outgoing.  I also think it is like Cuban to want to say "we turned Brunson's decision to play for his dad and God Father into a former all-star.  Look how smart we are".  Of course, we won't know unless it happens.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding - by DanSchwartzgan - 07-10-2022, 07:59 AM