Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding
(07-09-2022, 10:11 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Amazed at this take. Wood comes off the bench? Really?

Do I know what will happen? No. But I haven't heard anything that says he will start and replace ____  (whoever you think he might replace), while in contrast, I have heard it said that McGee and SD will start, and who they replace (and why) is no-brainer stuff to figure out.

It does make sense to me that he will not start, at least not when the season begins. If a player is added from loser team onto a winner, and with less than a sterling reputation, and he's never been a good player on a good team, seems like they have a lot to prove before they are given the keys to the family car.
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 10:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right there with you, my guy. 

WHY THEN, was a 4th big such a priority, rather than adding another guy you can PLAY in that scenario???? You know, someone who could’ve made a difference in the WCF?

I’m so depressed. I no longer have the energy for SCORCHED EARTH.

I have no problem with them adding McGee for the price they did. I doubt they could add a real starter or finisher for less than the taxpayer MLE, and he gives the Mavs a kind of big they didn't have before.

What confounds me is them not adding Dragic when he would have cost them nothing. It almost feels like an insult to Luka with how little sense it makes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 10:31 PM)Branduil Wrote: What confounds me is them not adding Dragic when he would have cost them nothing. It almost feels like an insult to Luka with how little sense it makes.

Spot on.

There's not a 3rd creator on this roster. They clearly have not changed their setup and desperately need one. Dragic fills that gaping hole, is incredibly qualified, wants to be here, and is willing to sign for the cheapest amount possible. And you turn up your nose because you think you have a better plan? Need to keep that roster spot open?

I think they likely had a slam dunk staring them in the face, and got too cute ("smartest guy in the room" type stuff) and walked right past the answer. Good grief.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
Still could have signed Dragic instead of Pinson, even if they had/have something going to fill the 3rd creator spot. Maybe Kidd is a bit threatened at the possible thought of dissension if Dragic were to come?
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 11:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Maybe Kidd is a bit threatened at the possible thought of dissension if Dragic were to come?

Dragic having some sort of strong personality that would overshadow Luka listening to Kidd?
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 11:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Dragic having some sort of strong personality that would overshadow Luka listening to Kidd?
It is a possibility, but fully spitballing thoughts.

If he were to not think something Kidd is doing is good for the team, he has Luka’s ear and Luka has the ear of everyone in the FO.
Like Reply
The Pinson point is valid, that his cheerleader position shouldn't get in the way of filling massive needs.

But there's also the fact that Dragic shouldn't get in the way of doing anything, since there's a 20-man roster limit right now, not 15. This isn't mid-season when you need space to operate.

One excuse is valid. If they have a really good offense-creator lined up elsewhere, already are sure they will get him, and are merely waiting for other dominos to fall first in order to do that deal (such as player X is going to be swapped to the Mavs when Durant is traded somewhere), then that is a valid reason. In that case, Dragic might not want to be here to be the 4th guy. But I just don't believe they have that at all; having passed on GD, I am very skeptical they'll get anyone.
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 11:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: The Pinson point is valid, that his cheerleader position shouldn't get in the way of filling massive needs.

But there's also the fact that Dragic shouldn't get in the way of doing anything, since there's a 20-man roster limit right now, not 15. This isn't mid-season when you need space to operate.

One excuse is valid. If they have a really good offense-creator lined up elsewhere, already are sure they will get him, and are merely waiting for other dominos to fall first in order to do that deal (such as player X is going to be swapped to the Mavs when Durant is traded somewhere), then that is a valid reason. In that case, Dragic might not want to be here to be the 4th guy. But I just don't believe they have that at all; having passed on GD, I am very skeptical they'll get anyone.
Man, if he doesn’t want to be the 4th guy, why the heck did he sign in Chi?
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 05:41 PM)nash_funk Wrote: Bruce Bowen never averaged above 8.2pts per game.  Every championship team has a blue collar guy.

Bruce Bowen was 100x time the defender DFS is. I think everyone in here completely overestimates DFS defense ability. He is a good, but not great defender, and definitely not one like Bruce Bowen. This is not a valid comparison at all.

DFS provides a lot of energy and value for money, but after WCF and to Finals, he will always count as negative. Always. Not saying a team with him cant win, if we are positive compared to opponents on other positions. Especially with Luka. But the team would greatly increase chances for a championship if we got a better quality player here.

DFS is not even close to being one of the best defenders in the league. He is a good defender, that's it. He is good shooter on open 3s - thats it. Its a huge advantage in Luka offense to get those opportunities. He cant create his own shot, he cant shoot covered by defenders, this is what you need to do in WCF and Finals if you want to contribute to winning and destroy the opponents gameplan. He cant distribute the ball around and make contested shots around the paint, which you need to do against the best teams.

All in all, im not saying we should get rid of DFS, that he is bad, he is a good player, he is better at that value than many other options, but it is clear to be a dynasty or championship team, you need a lot a lot more playmaking, bbIQ, and a lot more defense from your wing/PF. A championship team absolutely need to be composed of not only good, but great players, that can mess up opponents gameplans. DFS is not that player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
I'm not gonna judge the MBT until we get to the start of the season in relation to roster construction. Like not having a 3rd ball handler. It would be horrendous to go into the season with one of Ntilikina, Green or Hardy as the third ball handler, but they may very well have a move lined up they are confident about that changes that. Plenty of time left in the off season. I also don't like the idea of McGee and Wood starting, with Bullock on the bench. It's not a progressive lineup, offensively or defensively. But again maybe they have a move lined up for someone they expect to put in the starting lineup... that may have it make sense to start Wood from the bench. Powell was a starter, yet didn't play starting minutes. I would highly doubt we will be playing Javale McGee starter minutes. He will get his 18-20 mpg and Wood regardless of where he starts will still see his 30mpg or so.

I think if they do start McGee and Wood, it won't take that long before they change it. I'd say there's zero chance of it in the playoffs. Especially if Luka and Dinwiddie are starting. The extra perimeter defense is much more important than the rim protection McGee brings, though I do like the lineup defensively that has McGee starting and Wood on the bench. With Dinwiddie in the starting lineup, a bench unit offensively driven by THJ and Wood does make some sense. But they need a solid PG to run it. Then the bench would be hugely improved offensively from last year, and the starting unit would look similar except Dinwiddie replacing Brunson and McGee over Powell. I'd be ok with it, but a shot creating wing would be nice if Wood is on the bench to push Bullock to the bench unit solidifying it defensively and give Luka and Dinwiddie another shot creator. Not sure how they would pull that off though.

I will say that because of his defensive issues, Wood feels like he ideally fits from the bench (but still getting starter type minutes) if our team is ideally constructed.
Like Reply
F Gump has quite the hot take that Mavs would trade a first round pick for a backup center, I like it. I don't think it's going to happen but it's a bold take.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 02:06 AM)burekemde Wrote: Bruce Bowen was 100x time the defender DFS is. I think everyone in here completely overestimates DFS defense ability. He is a good, but not great defender, and definitely not one like Bruce Bowen. This is not a valid comparison at all.

DFS provides a lot of energy and value for money, but after WCF and to Finals, he will always count as negative. Always. Not saying a team with him cant win, if we are positive compared to opponents on other positions. Especially with Luka. But the team would greatly increase chances for a championship if we got a better quality player here.

DFS is not even close to being one of the best defenders in the league. He is a good defender, that's it. He is good shooter on open 3s - thats it. Its a huge advantage in Luka offense to get those opportunities. He cant create his own shot, he cant shoot covered by defenders, this is what you need to do in WCF and Finals if you want to contribute to winning and destroy the opponents gameplan. He cant distribute the ball around and make contested shots around the paint, which you need to do against the best teams.

All in all, im not saying we should get rid of DFS, that he is bad, he is a good player, he is better at that value than many other options, but it is clear to be a dynasty or championship team, you need a lot a lot more playmaking, bbIQ, and a lot more defense from your wing/PF. A championship team absolutely need to be composed of not only good, but great players, that can mess up opponents gameplans. DFS is not that player.

100% with you on this.
Like Reply
Marc Stein

Monday, I’m told, is the likely soonest for the Knicks’ long-awaited signing of Jalen Brunson to a four-year deal in excess of $100 million.

And as Fred Katz
reports below all signs point to New York signing him outright with cap space.

Just pointing out that teams do negotiate through the media.  

Danny Ainge:  "We plan to build around Donovan Mitchell" (meaning NY won't give us what we want).  
NY Knicks:  "Fred, I don't think this S&T is going to happen" (meaning Dallas won't give us what we want).  
So, Stein texts Cuban and he confirms "yeah, those guys are being assholes".  Negotiations get messy sometimes.

Not saying it is going to happen (and I don't think this is about a TPE, it is about using Brunson's outgoing to get a player).  But it isn't official yet, so it isn't over yet.  I use Mitchell as the example above (it doesn't have to be him) because I think it likely NY is trying to deal for him (another CAA client).  Duffy would know this if any of his guys (Beverley, Trent Forrest and Barrett) were in the deal  and would have certainly passed that on to his client Dragic.  

There is some PG excess between the two teams including veterans Beverley, Rose and Conley who would fit as a trade match with Brunson (or in the case of Conley, Brunson plus Powell).  The breakdown here doesn't have to be between Dallas and NY.  It could be between NY and Utah.  Maybe we are willing to give up something if the return is Conley/Beverley/Rose, but not to just get a TPE.  So, when NY/Utah breaks down...  Or, it could be Dallas is the problem, but NY and Utah would certainly find a way to work around this if that was the case.

There was a time when NY probably needed this to be a 3-way with Dallas and Detroit.  That went away with Gibson being cut.  I don't think they would have waited until several days into free agency to do that unless they thought they were close.  It is good business to be self reliant.  I've said before that Dallas has put itself in position that they 'can' be done, even if they hope for more.  Also good business. 

As I think through this, my guess is Conley over Beverley or Rose.  Conley is also CAA and I suspect they wouldn't want to strand him on tanking Utah to end his career.  Utah is light at center and expiring Powell could be a placeholder there until they draft or sign someone.   Conley has a deal like Bertans that is partially guaranteed at $14mm in year two (forever seeking flexibility).  And, if it was Beverley, Dallas could just deal Powell for him now.  But, Powell doesn't reach Conley without Brunson's outgoing.  I also think it is like Cuban to want to say "we turned Brunson's decision to play for his dad and God Father into a former all-star.  Look how smart we are".  Of course, we won't know unless it happens.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 07:59 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Marc Stein

Monday, I’m told, is the likely soonest for the Knicks’ long-awaited signing of Jalen Brunson to a four-year deal in excess of $100 million.

And as Fred Katz

Danny Ainge:  "We plan to build around Donovan Mitchell" (meaning NY won't give us what we want).  
NY Knicks:  "Fred, I don't think this S&T is going to happen" (meaning Dallas won't give us what we want).  
So, Stein texts Cuban and he confirms "yeah, those guys are being assholes".  Negotiations get messy sometimes.

Not saying it is going to happen (and I don't think this is about a TPE, it is about using Brunson's outgoing to get a player).  But it isn't official yet, so it isn't over yet.  I use Mitchell as the example above (it doesn't have to be him) because I think it likely NY is trying to deal for him (another CAA client).  Duffy would know this if any of his guys (Beverley, Trent Forrest and Barrett) were in the deal  and would have certainly passed that on to his client Dragic.  

There is some PG excess between the two teams including veterans Beverley, Rose and Conley who would fit as a trade match with Brunson (or in the case of Conley, Brunson plus Powell).  The breakdown here doesn't have to be between Dallas and NY.  It could be between NY and Utah.  Maybe we are willing to give up something if the return is Conley/Beverley/Rose, but not to just get a TPE.  So, when NY/Utah breaks down...  Or, it could be Dallas is the problem, but NY and Utah would certainly find a way to work around this if that was the case.

There was a time when NY probably needed this to be a 3-way with Dallas and Detroit.  That went away with Gibson being cut.  I don't think they would have waited until several days into free agency to do that unless they thought they were close.  It is good business to be self reliant.  I've said before that Dallas has put itself in position that they 'can' be done, even if they hope for more.  Also good business. 

As I think through this, my guess is Conley over Beverley or Rose.  Conley is also CAA and I suspect they wouldn't want to strand him on tanking Utah to end his career.  Utah is light at center and expiring Powell could be a placeholder there until they draft or sign someone.   Conley has a deal like Bertans that is partially guaranteed at $14mm in year two (forever seeking flexibility).  And, if it was Beverley, Dallas could just deal Powell for him now.  But, Powell doesn't reach Conley without Brunson's outgoing.  I also think it is like Cuban to want to say "we turned Brunson's decision to play for his dad and God Father into a former all-star.  Look how smart we are".  Of course, we won't know unless it happens.

Interesting.   Conley's arrow is pointing down while Jalen's was pointing up.   Conley is not as good as Jalen at this stage, but there is a role where you could get similar production, I think.   It would also protect us from injury.   Do we have enough of a role for him here?  At his salary, I think you can get him if you match contracts who run similar length (or one expiring, one going another year)

Ideally, I think I would prefer a point forward type.   This would probably allow us to keep giving Josh (or Maybe Jaden)minutes as the fourth guard.  I am just having trouble finding if that player is available and exists.
Like Reply
Wood is going to start.    I don't think it matters who starts the final piece between McGee and Bullock to be honest.   McGee starts to limit some of the banging for Wood for the long regular season.  You also have to account that Bullock has a injury history as well.  You can't count on him for huge minutes during the regular season.   Keep him fresh for the playoffs.   20-24 minutes will be fine.  If he is healthy, there is a good chance he is finishing games in the playoffs.    In all likelihood it will be between him and Maxi as the final starter in closing lineups.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
McGee starting with Wood as starting pf follows the Lakers champ year with McGee starting and AD starting at pf. It makes so much sense it’s hard to imagine anyone thinking otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 08:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: McGee starting with Wood as starting pf follows the Lakers champ year with McGee starting and AD starting at pf. It makes so much sense it’s hard to imagine anyone thinking otherwise.

As long as they make the necessary adjustment and follow the Lakers blue print in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 08:26 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Conley is not as good as Jalen at this stage, but there is a role where you could get similar production, I think.   It would also protect us from injury.   Do we have enough of a role for him here?  

I think Conley would be quite the recovery from losing Brunson for nothing.  With Powell outgoing, the net cost would be $11mm.  I think there is easily a role.  It is the old SD role from the end of last season.  I don't think Luka/SD/Conley would eat 96 minutes though, so THJ backs up the three and gets some time backing up the SF also.  I think the player who loses in this scenario is Green (assuming he isn't in the deal).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-10-2022, 07:59 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Marc Stein

And as Fred Katz

I admire your optimism. I lost all hope of Mavs being able to do anything and I think they will let Brunson walk for nothing. 

If NY lost the need for TPE, than Mavs would have to pay them for the favor. I also doubt Utah lets Conley (best player in the hypothetical Powell-Conley trade) go for nothing. They are well below the cap and its not like Utah is a huge FA destination. In addition to the fact that FA class is very poor next season. So I don't see anything there. 

I would assume Mavs will stand pat until they find their trade for the big wing. I don't think Mavs want to add money. It looks so obvious. If they would be willing to, they would take the expiring Burks and Noel and those second rounders that went to Detroit. They knew soon enough Brunson will walk. There would be no need for McGee (MLE could be used for something else or just left unused), they are both expiring and could easily be used in a trade. Or just let go after the season.
Like Reply
(07-09-2022, 09:11 PM)F Gump Wrote: Why are we talking about a position change for DFS. Is that something they announced? I thought they said THIS (essentially):

Last year (end of year)         Change in new starting lineup
BIG - Powell                           Powell      McGee                                         
WING - DFS                            DFS
  Bullock                                 Bullock
CREATOR - Luke                      Luka
  Brunson                               Brunson     Dinwiddie                  

I didn't hear any additional changes. Did I miss something?

Kidd said it's

PG - Luka
SG - Dinwiddie
SF - DFS
PF - Wood
C - Mcgee

So 4 changes in the starting lineup
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply