Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
Quick reminder that Andre Drummond was traded for a 2nd round pick Smile
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:03 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Did you talk to Barnes? how tf can you assume this. I bet he'd rather be playing his GS role here, than wasting away his career in sacramento

I don't think so. Mavs might have kept him if he would have said he wanted to stay in Dallas, restructure his deal to make less money, and switch his role to 3&D. But they wanted off his salary. They wanted to clean house and move the win now vets who couldn' t win. It was absolutely the right move to trade Barnes.
Like Reply
Just want to point out that the best time for the Mavs to make a trade will be draft night...
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:06 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Quick reminder that Andre Drummond was traded for a 2nd round pick Smile

He's the center version of Rondo
Like Reply
Just my quick thoughts here....

I’m disappointed that the mavs didn’t make a move today. I felt like there was a small move to be made if only to eat some salary with your exception. Those guys very well may be available in the buyout market tho so I’ll see what the mavs can do there to help. 

Despite being disappointed I’m not that upset. Mavs have a clear vision of getting young quality pieces at the right value and methodically building this thing up. Does paying the cost of ROCO do anything to really improve the team? 

The theme seems to be to be opportunistic and keep your assets while continuing to build up. Well see how it pays off. 

I will say mavs have an intriguing possible package this summer with all their assets kept. 

Well be able to deal our pick somewhere around 20, pick 31ish, Brunson/Wright, curry, Jackson (if he has value) not to mention a hardaway expiring. It’s a solid trade package for a good player. 

Perspective: we are 11 games over 500 with Luka and KP being hurt extended amounts of time and yet to figure out how to co star together. You can make a strong argument that you get those guys playing like all stars together before adding another major piece.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:06 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Just want to point out that the best time for the Mavs to make a trade will be draft night...

For sure, totally agree. However, THE ONLY opportunity to use TE and trade Lee was this trade deadline. Opportunity gone, 20 mil salaries for trade gone.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:06 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Just want to point out that the best time for the Mavs to make a trade will be draft night...

Another time we will be excited and full of trade ideas, and then we move our GSW 2nd for two future 2nds and call it a day.
Like Reply
My issue is the assumption that we could not have won this year despite have the best PG in the NBA, and the best offense in basketball history. People are trying to justify the mavs failure to improve the roster despite having assets to do so, by saying "oh we couldn't have won anyways so its fine". No thats just not the truth, and to assume our entire roster will stay healthy long enough for us to whiff on the Giannis pipedream is foolish and a disservice to what this team has done. This team has beaten the best of them, even with injured players, don't tell me the best offense ever has no chance of contending because its just not true. By that logic we should just tank until we sign Giannis and Lebron and trade for Zion, only then should we try to win a ring.
Like Reply

I feel pretty confident saying we're going into the 2021 offseason without adding any extra salary short of our draft pick(s)
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:03 PM)Baller AI Wrote: So we traded Barnes for Justin frikin Jackson and 11 mill of TPE? What a joke
Wut?
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:15 PM)Jym Wrote:

I feel pretty confident saying we're going into the 2021 offseason without adding any extra salary short of our draft pick(s)

Why do that? Giannis likes the Bucks organization and can make tens of millions more by staying with them rather than leaving by the current CBA. Is the CBA changing between now and then? Are there a number of other players willing to forego tens of millions to play with the Mavs in 2021 because our organization is just that attractive?

The Clippers and the Lakers didn't have cap room. Nor did Miami this TDL. Many other teams with far better front offices are planning on having cap room in 2021. History tells us that 2021 free agency is going to be a gruesomely bloody faceplant for the Mavs. No reasonable reason to expect anything different, if cap room is the plan.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:10 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Just my quick thoughts here....

I’m disappointed that the mavs didn’t make a move today. I felt like there was a small move to be made if only to eat some salary with your exception. Those guys very well may be available in the buyout market tho so I’ll see what the mavs can do there to help. 

Despite being disappointed I’m not that upset. Mavs have a clear vision of getting young quality pieces at the right value and methodically building this thing up. Does paying the cost of ROCO do anything to really improve the team? 

The theme seems to be to be opportunistic and keep your assets while continuing to build up. Well see how it pays off. 

I will say mavs have an intriguing possible package this summer with all their assets kept. 

Well be able to deal our pick somewhere around 20, pick 31ish, Brunson/Wright, curry, Jackson (if he has value) not to mention a hardaway expiring. It’s a solid trade package for a good player. 

Perspective: we are 11 games over 500 with Luka and KP being hurt extended amounts of time and yet to figure out how to co star together. You can make a strong argument that you get those guys playing like all stars together before adding another major piece.

The thing is, courtney lee is not an asset to this team based on where we are in the teambuilding phase, unless his expiring was used for a trade to match salary, in addition with our TE. Holding on to him and not using the rest of the TE is a loss for us based on the opportunity cost. Simply put it was bad asset management.
Like Reply
That's where my disappointment (not anger) originates.  Both Lee's contract and the TPE were assets, but now they're worthless.  I wasn't expecting a franchise altering move like the KP trade last year, but I did think they would get something to improve the team.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:15 PM)Jym Wrote:

I feel pretty confident saying we're going into the 2021 offseason without adding any extra salary short of our draft pick(s)

Why do that? Giannis likes the Bucks organization and can make tens of millions more by staying with them rather than leaving by the current CBA. Is the CBA changing between now and then? Are there a number of other players willing to forego tens of millions to play with the Mavs in 2021 because our organization is just that attractive?

The Clippers and the Lakers didn't have cap room. Nor did Miami this TDL. Many other teams with far better front offices are planning on having cap room in 2021. History tells us that 2021 free agency is going to be a gruesomely bloody faceplant for the Mavs. No reasonable reason to expect anything different, if cap room is the plan.

To be clear I don't think that's the correct thing to do. 
We're at a clear disadvantage against the top teams when we're not poking around the luxury tax, if not actually in it. 
Just stating what I think they'll do based on how they've positioned themselves this trade deadline 

In a perfect world Cuban is willing to pay the luxury tax associated with having the highest payroll but I dont think we have that Cuban anymore
Like Reply
I think that the Mavs' shortcomings in these matters have as much to do with really poor negotiations skills as with poor big-picture planning. I think they would have liked very much to do another deal, and couldn't maneuver well enough negotiationally to make that happen. Of course, their quite public bungling at free agency last year - failing to tamper like everyone else did, idiotically thinking that free agency was going to go slowly and thus pissing away the first night on a bad trade negotiation, and then being made to look like complete fools by Miami with their irritation at our not understanding the deal on the table nor our team situation - rightly biases any and all outside judgments of the Mavs' dealing from that time forward as long as the current MBT remains in place.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 03:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Also kind of sad the best thing we could get for Barnes was Justin Jackson and no picks
I've been saying all along, JJ and Harry Giles was the right value and compensation.
Like Reply
It is okay to mess up, everyone does it, but you have to learn from your mistakes if you want to improve moving forward. I thought the Mavs did that to a certain extent by keeping our young core together; that being said, they seem to really struggle at negotiations and taking what they get. Classic Mavs, passing up great opportunities because of pipedream hopes, and yet again we seem to be doing that. All that aside, none of that has anything to do with the wasting of Lee's expiring and the remaining TPE. There is literally no arguement for them to have wasted it, none whatsoever.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:40 PM)Baller AI Wrote: It is okay to mess up, everyone does it, but you have to learn from your mistakes if you want to improve moving forward. I thought the Mavs did that to a certain extent by keeping our young core together; that being said, they seem to really struggle at negotiations and taking what they get. Classic Mavs, passing up great opportunities because of pipedream hopes, and yet again we seem to be doing that. All that aside, none of that has anything to do with the wasting of Lee's expiring and the remaining TPE. There is literally no arguement for them to have wasted it, none whatsoever.
How many times are you gonna post the same paragraph length rambling today?
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:44 PM)Flipper Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:40 PM)Baller AI Wrote: It is okay to mess up, everyone does it, but you have to learn from your mistakes if you want to improve moving forward. I thought the Mavs did that to a certain extent by keeping our young core together; that being said, they seem to really struggle at negotiations and taking what they get. Classic Mavs, passing up great opportunities because of pipedream hopes, and yet again we seem to be doing that. All that aside, none of that has anything to do with the wasting of Lee's expiring and the remaining TPE. There is literally no arguement for them to have wasted it, none whatsoever.
How many times are you gonna post the same paragraph length rambling today?

Until the people defending the Mavs for this realize theres not really any defense, we have a subpar FO compared to other franchises and thats the reality of the situation. Atleast we aren't the knicks I guess..
Like Reply
It's worse watching them do nothing knowing this FO is sitting there acting like it's all about Giannis 2021. Their continual big fish failures have taught them nothing and they have passed and will continue to pass on moves that could improve the team NOW in favor of chasing the same stupid pipe dream they always chase.

And the worst part is that this big fish plan they can't give up on is the reason they don't have Giannis to begin with.
Like Reply