Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
Rainbow 
[Image: Screenshot-2020-02-12-at-11.53.34-AM.png]
Like Reply
Seems like Kamm got his wish of pasting excel documents!

Still blows my mind we're paying almost 40 million to THJ over the next 2 years. I hope he is in for a 2016/17 year coming off the bench and having a positive impact.

His salary is almost big enough to talk me into trading it for CP3 if the Thunder don't balk at that idea. The difference between them is about 18 million, (Add Lee and the first year difference is only 6 million), and CP3 is at least a hyper efficient player. 

Yuck. Hopefully THJ's play makes me regret ever floating the idea of trading him for CP3.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Okay so, since we didn't spend the Cap room before Extending Porz, our only options now to upgrade is to trade Lee/THJ for a player? (of course other players too, but these are the biggest cap space holders that if moved we could still fit a Max guy in...)

So this is our only route? 

Any trade suggestions that are realistic routes? Like maybe we trade them both for an expiring guy so that this coming summer we can just sign a guy instead of trading for one? I mean I doubt neither are going to get a star... but maybe there is a Griffin or Drummond style situation that the team wants to move on from them...

Any thoughts?
Like Reply
(09-16-2019, 03:42 PM)Magickian Wrote: Okay so, since we didn't spend the Cap room before Extending Porz, our only options now to upgrade is to trade Lee/THJ for a player? (of course other players too, but these are the biggest cap space holders that if moved we could still fit a Max guy in...)

So this is our only route? 

Any trade suggestions that are realistic routes? Like maybe we trade them both for an expiring guy so that this coming summer we can just sign a guy instead of trading for one? I mean I doubt neither are going to get a star... but maybe there is a Griffin or Drummond style situation that the team wants to move on from them...

Any thoughts?
Trading is the only real route the Mavs can go in adding an impact player quickly, unless they want to wait until the summer of 2020.

Griffin would be a home run kind of dream. He single handedly carried that Pistons team into the playoffs with a bum knee. I doubt the Pistons are ready to move on from the only legit star they've had since Billups/Prince/Wallacex2 days. Heck, Blakes first year took them to the playoffs which is more than anything the Pistons have done in half a decade. But IF the Pistons deal Blake here, the Mavs would probably be top 3 favorites imo. He just fits so well alongside KP and Luka. 

The Pistons have floated Drummond in trade rumors around the deadline almost every year at this point, which makes me weary that he's all empty stats with low effort, which is a common criticism I see on many Pistons forum's about Drummond.

The biggest issue is not necessarily finding an impact player to trade for, but convincing that team that a package of THJ and Lee (plus very little draft assets) is worth their impact player.  That's why I mentioned CP3 and the Thunder, who are ina  unique situation where CP3's value is at an all time low, whereas his on the court production is still quite good. 

Another team I think that can pull the plug while still finding value in THJ and Lee is the Spurs. I think DeRozan day's are numbered there. He'd also fit neatly alongside Luka and KP.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-16-2019, 03:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Seems like Kamm got his wish of pasting excel documents!

Actually I just used an image of a spreadsheet. Still curious if at some point we can get actual grids in here.
Like Reply
Thanks for that overview. So Luka, Brunson, Broekhoff, DFS and Kleber combined earn 2 Mio more than THJ next season. That´s gross. Said it on the old board, I´d be down for sending Lee and THJ to OKC for CP3 in a heartbeat.
Like Reply
(09-16-2019, 03:42 PM)Magickian Wrote: Any trade suggestions that are realistic routes? Like maybe we trade them both for an expiring guy so that this coming summer we can just sign a guy instead of trading for one? I mean I doubt neither are going to get a star... but maybe there is a Griffin or Drummond style situation that the team wants to move on from them...

Any thoughts?

The route the Mavs have really locked themselves into is trade, as has been stated. But they have flexibility with that because they have the $11.8M trade exception still....

SO, what they can do is use the $11.8M trade exception for ONE player that fits within while doing a separate trade that can be salary matched with Lee/THJ. 

So example: 

Robert Covington makes $11.3M so he fits nicely in the TE (trade exception). Then you trade Lee ($12.8M)+sweetener? for Dieng ($16.2M, $17.3M) at the trade deadline. Lee is expiring at that point and Dieng has another year. So overall the Mavs get Dieng+RoCo for Lee+sweetener?.

Another option is to trade for Wiggins, which honestly I am not against if you get rid of THJ.
Like Reply
Finally a thread about possible trades in this dead season :-)

I see the following options at this moment:

1. Best (realistic) I see: Brunson or Jackson (plus second rounders) for Bamba. Orlando doesn't need him and doesn't have minutes for him. They need PG and wings. Plenty of cheap back up PG should be available to replace Brunson. Love the kid and would much rather see Jackson go if necessary. 

2. DFS or Jackson for Dunn. Chicago needs wings and definitely doesn't need Dunn. Bad thing is we don't need PG. So I only see it as possible if number 1 happens

3. Lee for bad contracts. Not many bad contracts are left at this point. Felicio or Dieng are really bad contracts but their owners are somewhat rebuilding so I don't see them coughing up picks to get rid of these contracts. Perhaps at TDL if they have a promising season. Miami has plenty of 2 year overpaid players (Olynik, Johnson, Waiters). However, I don't see getting more than a second rounder from them in a Lee trade. Olynik might be useful as we are somewhat weak at C/PF. Any trade of these kind would probably have to wait till TDL.

4. Lee for a one year contract (Iguodala or Williams from Charlotte were mentioned). Not really a fan as it would require assets and would really make us only slightly better. 

5. Trade exception. A couple of teams will want to get out of tax (Detroit, Miami, Orlando, OKC) so we might turn it into a bad player and draft considerations. At TDL
Like Reply
I really hope no. 1 and especially no. 2 don't happen. No need for dunn with delon in fold. No punt on Brunson, he's going to be special
Like Reply
Don´t see a way to get RoCo for our garbage as of now but maybe things change over the season.
I still think that Cuban made a mistake not using at least a part of the remaining capspace the Mavs had this summer. Was it really not possible to move one of THJ/Lee and a few second rounders? The current TPE has no real value. I don´t expect any return. Will probably expire without being used.
Like Reply
(09-16-2019, 05:35 PM)Thukydides Wrote: I really hope no. 1 and especially no. 2 don't happen. No need for dunn with delon in fold. No punt on Brunson, he's going to be special
I think Brunson is Derek Fisher. Not sure that is special, but it is really good.
Like Reply
(09-16-2019, 07:32 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 05:35 PM)Thukydides Wrote: I really hope no. 1 and especially no. 2 don't happen. No need for dunn with delon in fold. No punt on Brunson, he's going to be special
I think Brunson is Derek Fisher. Not sure that is special, but it is really good.
I don't see any huge need to improve this roster from outside. There is plenty of room for current guys to really step into needed roles. Roles needed include but are not limited to:
Third best player
Permanent starter
Starter against certain match ups
Excellent 6th man
Excellent rotation player
Young player improving toward rotation player
High dollar player playing his way up to make someone want him in trade.
Like Reply
Baba gets the last spot, 20-man training camp roster is set!
Can’t wait until we have games again.

Dakota Mathias needs more playing time.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1176549581712236546
Like Reply
Updated the chart to reflect the latest.
Like Reply
Rainbow 
Okay, so I figure someone has to get this ball rolling. We all knew the trade talks would come, it might as well be me. 

I saw a post about the Thunder looking to move Steven Adams for a Young Player, a Draft Pick, and Cap Relief. 

I am proposing this: 
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4txx4r5

DAL IN: Adams, Schroder
OKC IN: THJ, Lee, Jackson

This saves OKC 5m this year and another 13m next year, for a total of 18m in savings over the next two years. This isn't HUGE, but isn't anything to sneeze at. 

They get Jackson who is the young guy they acquire in this deal. We would need to get a draft pick, or just send them a gang of second-round picks, maybe it is a big enough bounty then. 

This is probably not enough for OKC but it helps them save off a lot of their long term salary. They would only have CP3, SGA, Jackson, and THJ as the biggest salaries, next season and SGA is only at 4m next year. Then if they can move CP3, Thunder has suddenly reset. They can also try to move THJ again next year and be a clear roster to build around SGA and whoever they get for CP3. This could help them get out of the Adams contract, save money this year, and next year, and then CP3 is their last remaining obstacle for a complete rebuild while gaining assets. 

Another team could probably do better but, would you pull the trigger on this? I would! 

------------------

SOOOOO This is my first trade proposal of the season... haha try not to rip me too hard for it... but let us maybe keep all of our Trade Ideas to this trade for the season!
Like Reply
I don’t think OKC would water down Adams value by trading Schroeder with him. They think very highly of him. Also, we have Luka, JB, JJB, Curry who all should have bigger minutes at the guard position than Dennis this year. Adams would be amazing to put on this team (although doing that would then put Boban in a worse position than he was in at Phi) especially after hearing RC’s thoughts on KP being mostly a 4 and needing a banger next to him. 

I’m not as high on Jackson as most here are (although I am encouraged by him gaining 20 lbs), so him being the youth fits for me. Maybe something like Boban, Jackson and THJ for Adams? Maybe we add a second or two? Maybe they add a small contract or two?
Like Reply
[img]
Oklahoma City has been trying to find the right trade for Steven Adams, per @SeanDeveney

The Thunder are seeking a young player, draft pick and salary relief in exchange for Adams.
— NBA Central (@TheNBACentral) October 2, 2019 " />

The Thunder are looking. I just don't think we have anything they could be interested in. I love Adams. As centers go, he's one of my favorite, and he's only 26. 

He's old school, but the dude is as tough as they come (and we need someone like that on this roster) and he's an incredible rebounder/defender. The only players that we can trade before December/January is THJ, Lee, Jackson, Brunson, Broekhoff, and Luka, and there is no way do we give up Brunson or Luka for Adams.

The only puzzle piece that works right now is THJ for Adams. Is he even enough for Adams though? He's 26 as well, and a trade of THJ and Adams straight up can put the Thunder under the luxury tax. 

There are not many teams in the NBA that need a center, especially one at 26 million. Heck given that we have Powell, Maxi, and Boban, (and KP too really) we don't NEED a center either. But a guy like Adams next to KP would in my mind be a seamless fit. Adams does ALL the dirty stuff and is an enforcer, and can protect KP from having to wrestle for rebounds. Plus he's one of the best screen-setters in the entire league.

(10-03-2019, 02:35 AM)Magickian Wrote: DAL IN: Adams, Schroder
OKC IN: THJ, Lee, Jackson

This saves OKC 5m this year and another 13m next year, for a total of 18m in savings over the next two years. This isn't HUGE, but isn't anything to sneeze at. 

They get Jackson who is the young guy they acquire in this deal. We would need to get a draft pick, or just send them a gang of second-round picks, maybe it is a big enough bounty then. 

This is probably not enough for OKC but it helps them save off a lot of their long term salary. They would only have CP3, SGA, Jackson, and THJ as the biggest salaries, next season and SGA is only at 4m next year. Then if they can move CP3, Thunder has suddenly reset. They can also try to move THJ again next year and be a clear roster to build around SGA and whoever they get for CP3. This could help them get out of the Adams contract, save money this year, and next year, and then CP3 is their last remaining obstacle for a complete rebuild while gaining assets. 

Another team could probably do better but, would you pull the trigger on this? I would! 

------------------

SOOOOO This is my first trade proposal of the season... haha try not to rip me too hard for it... but let us maybe keep all of our Trade Ideas to this trade for the season!

I REALLY don't like Schroeder. Like wouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole. He's overpaid, and over hyped. He plays the same brand of inefficient basketball that Stephon Marbury played that is not conducive to winning basketball. Add onto it that he's arrogant and facing a felony assault charge. 

The Thunder have been trying for months now to get rid of Schroeder (https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/90...aid_to_be/) , but due to his on-going legal issues, there haven't been any takers. 

Schroeder is just so antithetical to what the Mavs are trying to build culture wise here that it just makes no sense to trade for him. And even if they would, the Thunder should be the ones giving up an arm and a leg to get rid of that mess. 

I really want Adams, because unlike Schroeder he's actually a good basketball player and is a great locker room presence.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 02:35 AM)Magickian Wrote: Okay, so I figure someone has to get this ball rolling. We all knew the trade talks would come, it might as well be me. 

I saw a post about the Thunder looking to move Steven Adams for a Young Player, a Draft Pick, and Cap Relief. 

I'm always down for trade talk.  And I love Adams.  So let's do this.

If anything is going to happen any time soon, the simplest deal is Lee/Jackson for Adams.  That satisfies two of the OKC requirements: a young player and lots of cap relief.  The pick is where it gets tricky, but we at least have a solid financial foundation to start with which is more than a lot of other teams can say.

If you wait until January, an interesting trade piece might be Powell as OKC might see him as an Adams replacement on an affordable long-term deal.  According to ESPN numbers, Powell just barely fits into the trade exception OKC got for Paul George.  Maybe that's a decent substitute for a pick.  Of course that offsets the cap savings, but there also could be ways to structure it as an over-the-cap deal with other players to balance things out.

I think there's an opportunity here, for sure.
Like Reply
Justin Jackson + THJ  + 2nd pick for Adam, who say no?
Like Reply