Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching and Carlisle - Mavs X and O
https://media.giphy.com/media/8FDI9HOd8DsRi/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 03:01 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Who are you referring to with OP?
Original Post of the conversation being discussed (not you the Original Poster of the thread).
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 03:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
Original Post of the conversation being discussed (not you the Original Poster of the thread).

It's hard to follow.

This thread is always getting derailed.
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 03:14 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 03:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

It's hard to follow.

This thread is always getting derailed.
Not sure this was a full derailment as opposed to a side track that is back on course.

Also, I know the use of OP is confusing when it is used in those multiple ways. When typing on a phone or ipad as opposed to my desktop I tend to be less wordy and descriptive. I’ll work on it. Thx for bringing to my attention the difficulty in reading as I tend to believe everyone just understands what is in my head too often.
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 02:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: How could anyone even know that

(12-08-2019, 02:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: And you really didn't hear Kip voice?

(12-08-2019, 02:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not familiar with this term.

Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868...advantages
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:10 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 02:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: How could anyone even know that

(12-08-2019, 02:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: And you really didn't hear Kip voice?

(12-08-2019, 02:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not familiar with this term.

I knew I was really missing something good with this. Feels bad that I didn't get it.
Like Reply
I just cannot get over how asinine this comment is. I didn't comment on it, thinking that sleeping on it would make it less dumb, but it didn't help.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1213678182970339330

How can you claim that you lost the game in the first quarter when you had a 12 POINT LEAD WITH 8:45 to go in the 4TH?!?
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 03:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I just cannot get over how asinine this comment is. I didn't comment on it, thinking that sleeping on it would make it less dumb, but it didn't help.

How can you claim that you lost the game in the first quarter when you had a 12 POINT LEAD WITH 8:45 to go in the 4TH?!?

Digging yourself a hole at the beginning of a game when you're shorthanded takes energy to dig out of that you then don't have at the end. I disagree with your take on this, Kamm.
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 03:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Digging yourself a hole at the beginning of a game when you're shorthanded takes energy to dig out of that you then don't have at the end. I disagree with your take on this, Kamm.

No way. The Mavs have been creating a terrible habit of blowing leads. It is in their heads. This is a CLOSING issue, not even remotely a first quarter issue. Yes, I get the trite and tired argument of "energy to dig out of a hole" but give me a break, they expended NO energy getting into the hole, so over the long run it takes the same energy. I think it is an argument that everyone seems to use, but actually makes very little sense upon inspection.

But back to my point: The Mavs are struggling IMMENSELY to close games recently. This is a "finishing" and "closing" issue that we are seeing and not a "starting" issue. They need to learn how to finish and close as both a coaching staff and as players.
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 03:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 03:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Digging yourself a hole at the beginning of a game when you're shorthanded takes energy to dig out of that you then don't have at the end. I disagree with your take on this, Kamm.

No way. The Mavs have been creating a terrible habit of blowing leads. It is in their heads. This is a CLOSING issue, not even remotely a first quarter issue. Yes, I get the trite and tired argument of "energy to dig out of a hole" but give me a break, they expended NO energy getting into the hole, so over the long run it takes the same energy. I think it is an argument that everyone seems to use, but actually makes very little sense upon inspection.

Not even when shorthanded?

I suppose SEGABABA doesn't factor in either... (just yanking your chain)
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 03:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I just cannot get over how asinine this comment is. I didn't comment on it, thinking that sleeping on it would make it less dumb, but it didn't help.

That's Carlisle hyperbole, kinda like when he says KP is an historically good 3 point shooter out above the break.  

We have to translate coach hyperspeak
Quote:Translation: Ok, well he's not actually an all time great 3 point shooter, not even close really, but yeah, he's got a great shooting stroke and shows some signs that he could be great, one day
Or 
Translation: Ok, well we didn't actually lose the game in the 1st quarter and yes we had every opportunity to win the game up 12 with under 9 min and then again at up 7 under 3 min, but that first quarter crappy play really chafes my hide!  I'm going to send my team this message, thats what lost us the game. 

See it all makes sense now.  Tongue
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 04:00 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: See it all makes sense now.

I think (whether you intended it this way or not) that there is a lot of sense in how RC might be psychologically approaching this:

1) He might think his players are TOO focused on the end of games. Overthinking and not just playing according to training and instinct. 

2) If this is true, then his tactic might be to get them to focus elsewhere so as to distract them from the obsessive overthinking. 

So maybe RC knows VERY WELL that the end of games is the HUGE elephant in the room, but maybe he thinks it IS an elephant because the team is stuck in its own head and is waiting for the other shoe to drop at the end of games. So maybe his tactic is "STOP THINKING ABOUT THAT AND JUST FOCUS ON HOW WE MUST PLAY THE RIGHT WAY AND WITHIN THE SYSTEM IN EVERY MOMENT."

Something like that?
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 04:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 04:00 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: See it all makes sense now.

I think (whether you intended it this way or not) that there is a lot of sense in how RC might be psychologically approaching this:.... 
Something like that?

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek but serious at the same time.  I do agree with you that there's a psychological, motivational element of coaching no doubt in almost all of the coach's remarks.  

In this case as you said, he wanted his troops to focus more on that turrible start of the game than the break down at the end after they had made the come back. 

Even going back to the OP, the rant responding to the media guys concerning KP and the way he is being used on offense was designed to protect and send a similar message to KP and the team.  Basically Translate: "Don't pay any attention to these TV and media people team, our offensive approach is just fine, we're ranked #1.  We just need to stay focused, defend and execute the game plan." 

Something like that.  Wink
Like Reply
Let me guess, coach, your team lost the game in the first quarter??

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
100 to 100. 6 minutes left.

-Luka/Dwight PnR, Wight passes up open 3, drives, gets blocked
-Luka/Dwight PnR, attempted lob, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Dwight goes in Charmin soft and gets fouled. 1 of 2 at the line.
-Luka/Dwight PnR after near THJ turnover. 3 nuggets in paint. Luka airballs floater.
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka has nothing, eventually gets fould going around Dwight, no call, Luka just stands there, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, get a couple THJ 3 attempts, loose ball foul, get ball back
-Luka/Dwight PnR, DFS open 3, made it
-Luka/Dwight PnR, ball move to THJ, one dribble pullup, scores

WE DON'T SCORE AGAIN 2:20 left

-DFS steps out of bounds
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses 3
-Luka/THJ PnR, Luka fouled
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses layup, THJ misses 3
-Bad inbounds play, DFS turnover
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:43 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 100 to 100. 6 minutes left.

-Luka/Dwight PnR, Wight passes up open 3, drives, gets blocked
-Luka/Dwight PnR, attempted lob, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Dwight goes in Charmin soft and gets fouled. 1 of 2 at the line.
-Luka/Dwight PnR after near THJ turnover. 3 nuggets in paint. Luka airballs floater.
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka has nothing, eventually gets fould going around Dwight, no call, Luka just stands there, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, get a couple THJ 3 attempts, loose ball foul, get ball back
-Luka/Dwight PnR, DFS open 3, made it
-Luka/Dwight PnR, ball move to THJ, one dribble pullup, scores

WE DON'T SCORE AGAIN 2:20 left

-DFS steps out of bounds
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses 3
-Luka/THJ PnR, Luka fouled
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses layup, THJ misses 3
-Bad inbounds play, DFS turnover

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I've said for a while, the first team to 100 pts is most often the winner. Was watching with one of my nephews and when the score was close to 90 for each team (but Mavs were ahead), I repeated to him first team to 100 wins. Den scored 100 pts first.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1222200994072842241
Like Reply
RC postgame quote:

"We lost the game in the first quarter. Inexcusable to not have a bigger lead than 14 after one. We lost the game in the first 38 minutes. Inexcusable to only be leading by 13 with 10 minutes to go. We have to start better."

THIS IS SARCASTIC AND NOT REAL.
Like Reply