Poll: What do you think about THJr
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Starter Hope
40.91%
18 40.91%
Master Chuckfest
15.91%
7 15.91%
Trade him!
29.55%
13 29.55%
Tim Hero Jumper
13.64%
6 13.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The X-Factor Tim Hardaway Jr.: DAL to give long term extension?
I'm not fan of THj but before the game last night, I've actually been impressed with him this season.
Like Reply
THJ is a super nice guy and a hard worker but lort he is frustrating to watch when his shot is going in and that seems to be 70% of the time...

If he just was missing his open spot ups then it wouldn't hurt as much, but he is pulling up on transitions 3s SMMFH!!!!!
Like Reply
Seems like he had a good game for once. For people who have watched. How was his decision-making?
Like Reply
I think THJ is finding a role on this team. He just needs to stay within it. Last night (Celtics) he didn't.

THJ needs to stick to catch & shoot threes. To keep the defense honest I'm ok with the occasional drive or pull up jumper/floater but when he handles and tries to create it's a disaster. He's very inefficient overall off the bounce.

He should also be limited to 20-24 mpg and never close games unless he's on fire from beyond the arc as his defensive positioning and awareness is terrible. 

Kemba Walker blew right by him for a dagger last night.
Like Reply
THJ is killing me. He may actually be the reason I end up in the hospital. 

What seems like every time he touches the ball, he launches it. Its very rare he passes. I understand if he wants to be aggressive and attack and take matters into his own hands sometimes, but that's practically impossible with the shots he takes. He literally runs into traffic and tries to pull up over people like he's TMac. He doesn't have the height advantage, he doesn't have the shooting touch, etc. If I were his teammate, I wouldn't even run down to the offensive end just because I know what's coming. Might as well save some energy for the next defensive play. 

My friend and I were watching the game last night and he doesn't know much about basketball. Almost every time THJ touched the ball I predicted what was going to happen. A forced and or rushed shot, turn over, a poor attempt at hero ball, etc. He doesn't even look for other players, or a good shot. I can't say it enough. Its so frustrating. My friend was laughing a lot and realized THJ is a blackhole and I was just getting more and more frustrated. 

He had a string of 5 points I believe to start the 4th. I was slightly happy about it since he kept us in the game through 2 possessions, but I was just getting more frustrated with what he was going to try to force in future plays based off of making a couple. If he makes 1 tough shot, you can expect him to come down and take and miss 2/3 terrible shots after. I just don't get it. If KP is deferring and can stay in the flow of the offense if he's not feeling it, what makes THJ think he can keep going? His role needs to be reduced. I get the whole idea of trying to find our rotation and figure things out with the rotation early on in the season, but this is the easiest part of our schedule. We can't split our games because Tim Hardaway Jr thinks he's Kobe. We need these wins badly and we'll find that out by the end of the season.

I hate hating a player on our team. I would like THJ a lot more if he just stayed within his capabilities. He could be an excellent 3 and D player that thrives on catch and shoot shots off of Luka/Brunson drives. From his time in Atlanta until now, it's clear that he won't accept a reduced role. He could have a great game, shoot like, 7/10, make 5/7 3's if he played the way so many of us want him to play, but then he'll go away from that the following games. He just isn't willing to accept the role he'd be best in.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:02 PM)TheCustodian Wrote: He could be an excellent 3 and D player that thrives on catch and shoot shots

Yep. The most frustrating thing about him. Know your role and your strengths. 

If he would be just be a catch and shoot, or swing pass guy, things would be SOOOOO much better. Always doing way too much. That is fine if there are 5 seconds on the shot clock and a stalled possession, but otherwise just stay in your lane man.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:02 PM)TheCustodian Wrote: He could be an excellent 3 and D player that thrives on catch and shoot shots

Yep. The most frustrating thing about him. Know your role and your strengths. 

If we just be a catch and shoot, or swing pass guy, things would be SOOOOO much better. Always doing way too much. That is fine if there are 5 seconds on the shot clock and a stalled possession, but otherwise just stay in your lane man.

With good decision making, being less trigger happy he would be even worth his contract and a legitimate 3rd option.

I still think he needs to play most of his minutes alongside Luka. Let him start. At least try that.

He is too free for all coming of the bench.
Like Reply
Honestly...it´s the same story ever year. Sometimes on a new team. If THJ could only adjust his shot selection and play within the flow of the offense. It´s not going to happen. He did not do it in NY. Not in Atlanta. Not back in NY. So far not in Dallas.
It´s actually sad to see a talented player waste his potential. I don´t know the reasons. Ego, bball IQ, shadow of his father...whatever.
Whenever he touches the  ball I am reminded of the "Kobe" meme.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Honestly...it´s the same story ever year. Sometimes on a new team. If THJ could only adjust his shot selection and play within the flow of the offense. It´s not going to happen. He did not do it in NY. Not in Atlanta. Not back in NY. So far not in Dallas.
It´s actually sad to see a talented player waste his potential. I don´t know the reasons. Ego, bball IQ, shadow of his father...whatever.
Whenever he touches the  ball I am reminded of the "Kobe" meme.

The maddening thing is that he absolutely can do it. It's not a lack of capability. 

The whole team lacks structure. Only Luka has a clear and we'll defined role. And he needs to play off ball at the start of games to get others going.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: he needs to play off ball at the start of games to get others going.

Except it seems THJ and Brunson have both been accused of too much hero ball. The ONLY person who should play hero ball is Luka. NO ONE ELSE.

So I have two thoughts:

1) Luka focus on getting open looks for others to start the game. Mostly Curry and KP.

2) Let Delon run the show alongside Luka sometimes, as Delon won't hero ball and is more than capable. 

Those are the answers from my seat at this point.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: he needs to play off ball at the start of games to get others going.

Except it seems THJ and Brunson have both been accused of too much hero ball. The ONLY person who should play hero ball is Luka. NO ONE ELSE.

So I have two thoughts:

1) Luka focus on getting open looks for others to start the game. Mostly Curry and KP.

2) Let Delon run the show alongside Luka sometimes, as Delon won't hero ball and is more than capable. 

Those are the answers from my seat at this point.

Ultimately Delon starts running the offense with Luka starting off the ball, he doesn't need the ball in his hands to get going. Have Tim Hardaway Jr start as well, tell him he is a spot up shooter and should focus on defense. After the first couple of possession let Luka handle the ball. 

ZINGER, Luka, Maxi or Boban, THjr , wright /brunson

It's hard to realize your role. Even though the ball is best in Lukas hands doesn't mean it's best for the team if that is the case. 

I feel like only Maxi knows his role and plays within it.

6th best spot-up shooter in. League so far @1.53. ppp
Like Reply
In defense of THJ I think we are seeing an overreaction to him having a bad shooting night (and he warmed up a little bit in the 4th against Boston after a dreadful start to help close the gap). But with Rick unable to stabilize the lineup THJ is one of the players who has already established his role. He's the chucker you go to when the team is being indecisive, and there is a lot of indecisiveness right now.

Luka and THJ together currently have a net rating of +20. Luka isn't hesitant to pass to him at all because he knows what THJ will do with the ball for better or worse because he knows THJ has no conscience when it comes to taking shots (and not all of them are bad looks). He's predictable which is sometimes a good thing in coaches' eyes. And in some of his hotter games it has been for the better. Until Rick makes an effort to have the team look for more shots for Curry this is the natural result.

And if you want THJ traded away then showcasing him and hoping he has a few hot games isn't the worst idea either. He was supposed to be part of the incoming ballast from the Porzingis trade anyway
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 01:16 AM)MrGoat Wrote: In defense of THJ I think we are seeing an overreaction to him having a bad shooting night (and he warmed up a little bit in the 4th against Boston after a dreadful start to help close the gap). But with Rick unable to stabilize the lineup THJ is one of the players who has already established his role. He's the chucker you go to when the team is being indecisive, and there is a lot of indecisiveness right now.

Luka and THJ together currently have a net rating of +20. Luka isn't hesitant to pass to him at all because he knows what THJ will do with the ball for better or worse because he knows THJ has no conscience when it comes to taking shots (and not all of them are bad looks). He's predictable which is sometimes a good thing in coaches' eyes. And in some of his hotter games it has been for the better. Until Rick makes an effort to have the team look for more shots for Curry this is the natural result.

And if you want THJ traded away then showcasing him and hoping he has a few hot games isn't the worst idea either. He was supposed to be part of the incoming  ballast from the Porzingis trade anyway

THjr needs to start at small forward in my opinion.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 01:16 AM)MrGoat Wrote: He's the chucker you go to when the team is being indecisive, and there is a lot of indecisiveness right now.

+41 +77 +6

The team is full of bench players that don't know how to play within themselves with a real sprouting superstar. This is why we needed better players who are confident in their role in the off season.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 01:16 AM)MrGoat Wrote: In defense of THJ I think we are seeing an overreaction to him having a bad shooting night (and he warmed up a little bit in the 4th against Boston after a dreadful start to help close the gap). But with Rick unable to stabilize the lineup THJ is one of the players who has already established his role. He's the chucker you go to when the team is being indecisive, and there is a lot of indecisiveness right now.

And if you want THJ traded away then showcasing him and hoping he has a few hot games isn't the worst idea either. He was supposed to be part of the incoming ballast from the Porzingis trade anyway

Love this post. MrGoat has the goods on this situation imo.

Of course Seth is the better shooter, and even, imo, has a better all around offensive skill set. But when Seth plays 13 minutes and won't take a shot, and someone on the team besides Luka needs to man up and step into a shot, THJ is your huckleberry.
Like Reply
He´s surprisingly good defensively. Usually not something you associate with chuckers. It´s also the reason he´s playing so much. Carlisle plays him for his defense, often giving him tough assignments. While I absolutely hate his mindless chucking, there is at least a certain element of respect and attention he gets from an opposing defense. I´m also not sure why he´s the only one they run screens for. Can´t blame him, when nobody else gets plays designed, where they are the 1st or 2nd option.
Like Reply
I'm also curious to find what he can do as a starter.  Perhaps if he's with Luka and Porzingis, his role on offense will be limited to opportunistic/weak side shots, and he might focus more on defense.  Perhaps that will also get him into a good rhythm early and will be all warmed up for later quarters when our stars sit, and also might get his points much earlier that he won't be pressed to hunt for points in crucial stages.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:22 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I still think he needs to play most of his minutes alongside Luka. Let him start. At least try that.

Having watched the early highlight video of THJ making a high percentage of catch and shoot shots and listening to him explain how he plans to move to be in Luka's vision, I like him starting too. Luka is the only one on the team who can limit THJ's shots and THJ works very well with Luka precisely because he knows how to make himself available and he is money on those shots. With Luka on the floor and KP as well, THJ is far less likely to feel he needs to be the hero scorer. 

The comments on Curry and others taking his shots....maybe they need to learn from THJ how to get into both Luka's vision and into an open area. That truly is a great skill.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 01:05 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:22 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I still think he needs to play most of his minutes alongside Luka. Let him start. At least try that.

Having watched the early highlight video of THJ making a high percentage of catch and shoot shots and listening to him explain how he plans to move to be in Luka's vision, I like him starting too. Luka is the only one on the team who can limit THJ's shots and THJ works very well with Luka precisely because he knows how to make himself available and he is money on those shots. With Luka on the floor and KP as well, THJ is far less likely to feel he needs to be the hero scorer. 

The comments on Curry and others taking his shots....maybe they need to learn from THJ how to get into both Luka's vision and into an open area. That truly is a great skill.

One more thing that I will say on the matter is that there is one usually unheralded advantage to taking on the shameless chucker role. I figured THJ pretty much never turned the ball over because of that and after looking it up I was even more right than I thought. 

In 230 minutes and with 105 shot attempts THJ has turned the ball over a grand total of 4 times. His turnover percentage is an outrageously low 3.4%. He has a 3.5/1 assist to turnover ratio and that's not because he's dropping dimes left and right. Maybe they need to come up with a new efficiency stat that rewards not turning the ball over.
Like Reply
I'm not the biggest fan of THJ, especially in the context of the current roster, that has quite the above average BB IQ and the potential to run circles around other team's defense. Although he seems to be focused on defense and passes the ball at times, the ISO and hero ball tend to ruin our offense rithym and momentum. Make him a spot shooter and his stock will raise.

One thing that I appreciate about THJ, is that he has showed up at times in 4th quarter, even if he was cold. He's not like Harrison Barnes, where if he went on a bad streak, you could count him out of mattering in the clutch.
Like Reply