Poll: What do you think about THJr
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Starter Hope
40.91%
18 40.91%
Master Chuckfest
15.91%
7 15.91%
Trade him!
29.55%
13 29.55%
Tim Hero Jumper
13.64%
6 13.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The X-Factor Tim Hardaway Jr.: DAL to give long term extension?
Who do we think are comps for THJ? I am of the mind that he has fully repaired his image and restored his value to the point where he could demand a big contract this summer.

One player that comes to mind is Harrison Barnes who was good, not great and didn't really contribute to wins like THJ. Barnes got a new deal that started above his prior salary in Dallas (for face saving reasons I am sure) but then declines in subsequent years. Barnes too had the decision whether to opt in for the 24-25 mil or whatever he was do or sign a new contract. He did not really have to give up money for the 19-20 season the way it was structured but locked in that future guaranteed money knowing he was unlikely to demand the same value in future years.

So is it possible the Mavs agree to new terms with THJ that start him at 19 and then do something like 18, 17, 16? Or maybe like Wright it's a more subtle decline like 19, 18.5, 18, 17.5 - something like that.

No idea of course just thinking aloud. The more interesting part of this is if Mavs take a knee in 2021 in order to lock up THJ. I guess if you move Wright for nothing can you get close enough to a max contract in 2021 still if you are on the hook for 17 or so in THJ money?
Like Reply
(03-11-2020, 03:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Who do we think are comps for THJ? I am of the mind that he has fully repaired his image and restored his value to the point where he could demand a big contract this summer.
First, we shouldn't replace THJ with a clone if that is necessary to get a valued target that would supplant another player (not totally sure that is what you meant by that, but that's the thought I had when I read it). If we were to trade THJ for something, I'd say to replace that SG spot with a guy who can run the offense alongside Luka to spell him and allow him to not have to go 100% every time down the floor. That person would also be able to guard PGs very well. I'm thinking someone in the mold of, but younger Patrick Beverly/Avery Bradley/Jrue Holiday, not sure who that would be that is possibly available, but that is the type of player I look for. 

Something I'm still in favor of is THJ/Wright/GSW or our first for OPJ/Sat. I still think that trade gets our overall talent much higher as well as defense increased in the right places. It replaces THJ with a player that has a different skill set, not exactly a better player, just more fitting IMO. It also cashes in our gluttony of guards and solidifies JB's position of the second unit PG to control that unit. Puts DFS on the bench where he excels. Not a big change in personnel so as to keep continuity.
Like Reply