Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka (+6, 27 pts, 7 asts, 7 rbds)
39.58%
19 39.58%
THJ (+15, 14 pts, game saving drawn charge)
12.50%
6 12.50%
DP (12 pts, 8 rbds)
0%
0 0%
Maxi (+6, 14 pts, 3 rbds)
2.08%
1 2.08%
KP (10 pts, 8 rbds)
0%
0 0%
Justin (11 pts, 6 rbds)
2.08%
1 2.08%
Barea (11 pts, 3 asts)
43.75%
21 43.75%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 7 DIRKIE: Winner Barea (44%) & Runner-up Luka (40%)
https://giphy.com/gifs/nba-reax-kiWJ2aO317z42RBqwu
Like Reply
Once again, JJ sparked this team when it was a ho-hum night.  Loved seeing the JJ/Powell magic pick back up where it left off!  I will say what I said when I voted for Boban the other night - the best player shouldn't always win the Dirkie...  Heart and big time moments matter.  JJ changed the game in the 2Q.  This was a good win - a playoff push win.  Good to see.
Like Reply
Yeah I'm also curious, because I thought the dirkie was for the best non Luka player.
Like Reply
Justin Jackson had a great stretch early in the game capped off by his triple that really kept us in there. JJ's threes were huge as well and it's special having him back out on the court. Both guys contributed sparks off the bench that were what Carlisle was clearly looking for with substitute early and often approach.

Ultimately for me the Dirkie always comes down to who had the biggest game overall (in this case one we probably lose without), and in that case it's Luka. The way he attacked the basket down the stretch was a real improvement over the Denver game, for example, where the Mavs constantly settled for poor long-distance jumpers until one final game winning drive.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Yeah I'm also curious, because I thought the dirkie was for the best non Luka player.

No, it is for the player that elevated their game above NORMAL to do the most for the win.

So Luka, KP, anyone can win it. Luka can't win it for being normal, but he has to do something different. I think he did just that, because he shifted his game around and not being able to hit the three dominated the floater game and came through big time. More than anyone else. I think second place is THJ. I think JJB does not deserve it because though his individual performance was cool for a spurt in the 2nd quarter I do not believe he helped the team overall much.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Yeah I'm also curious, because I thought the dirkie was for the best non Luka player.

No, it is for the player that elevated their game above NORMAL to do the most for the win.

So Luka, KP, anyone can win it. Luka can't win it for being normal, but he has to do something different. I think he did just that, because he shifted his game around and not being able to hit the three dominated the floater game and came through big time. More than anyone else. I think second place is THJ. I think JJB does not deserve it because though his individual performance was cool for a spurt in the 2nd quarter I do not believe he helped the team overall much.

I've voted THjr. I didn't think Luka had a special game for his current way too early baseline. His passing was way too sloppy. I admit he did adjust but he also took a bad shot at the end of the game almost costing the lead.

For me Luka has to perform on a much different level given your criteria.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I've voted THjr. I didn't think Luka had a special game for his current way too early baseline. His passing was way too sloppy. I admit he did adjust but he also took a bad shot at the end of the game almost costing the lead.

I respect that 100%....but for me, Luka having a poor night with turnovers and deep ball, he still stepped up in another area to lead the team to a win. Just my opinion and I totally get not voting for Luka. What I don't get is voting for JJB over THJ. Totally not fair to THJ's contributions. Feels like sentimental crap for JJB and ignoring what actually transpired to get the win.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

I've voted THjr. I didn't think Luka had a special game for his current way too early baseline. His passing was way too sloppy. I admit he did adjust but he also took a bad shot at the end of the game almost costing the lead.

I am one of the THJ votes as well.  Mainly because I wasn't sure I would get to vote for him this year.  I would have voted for Luka but I thought that was verboten.  JJB was a close second for me.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 04:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I've voted THjr. I didn't think Luka had a special game for his current way too early baseline. His passing was way too sloppy. I admit he did adjust but he also took a bad shot at the end of the game almost costing the lead.

I respect that 100%....but for me, Luka having a poor night with turnovers and deep ball, he still stepped up in another area to lead the team to a win. Just my opinion and I totally get not voting for Luka. What I don't get is voting for JJB over THJ. Totally not fair to THJ's contributions. Feels like sentimental crap for JJB and ignoring what actually transpired to get the win.

I've thought about introducing a best 2nd fiddle of the month award haha.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I respect that 100%....but for me, Luka having a poor night with turnovers and deep ball, he still stepped up in another area to lead the team to a win. Just my opinion and I totally get not voting for Luka. What I don't get is voting for JJB over THJ. Totally not fair to THJ's contributions. Feels like sentimental crap for JJB and ignoring what actually transpired to get the win.
I think what Barea did was similar to Corey Brewer in Game 1 2011 playoffs against LA...when Barea came in the team was not playing good and they were stinking it up...Barea changed the direction of the game from ugly loss and bad play to energetic ready to fight for the win...that's why I gave it to Barea this game...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

THJ has been really good so far compared to what I expected, 
a pleasant surprise! The bench is really great. 
Like Reply
Doncic has spoken. 

“Barea was amazing, he’s one of the leaders of this team  ... I think he won the game for us.” — Luka

https://youtu.be/cdPxvgyQzko

I see some people complaining about Carlisle sitting Seth too long, because it may have contributed to him being too cold to make a free throw. 

Meanwhile JJB has been sitting out cold for months, recovering from an Achilles rupture some thought could have ended his career, and immediately changed the complexion of the game!

#Vote4JJB
#BlessedByLuka
#AchillesSlayer
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Mak Wrote: Doncic has spoken. 

The Don's words!
Like Reply

Come on, man.  Give the man some props.  If you want to complain about the start to the second half?  I will agree with you.  RC went overboard - but he did so based off of what he saw from the absolute change of direction that JJ orchestrated at the end of the 2Q.  This game was headed for the L column before JJ came in... no doubt.  If he gets a sentimental boost, it is because he has done JUST THAT countless number of times.  It was awesome to see him do it once again!!!

Also, I love seeing some people giving THJ some props!  His %'s aren't great.  Truth.  But I haven't seen too many shots that I thought he shouldn't take.  There was one this game that comes to mind with a dude in his face.  Otherwise, he is taking quality shots and they aren't falling at a high rate.  That said, I have to disagree with people about the rest of his game.  He is playing well.  On defense, on offense.  On the ball and away from the ball.  I am liking what I have seen from him this year, and still hoping that his shot starts dropping at a higher rate.  Otherwise, the dude is playing well - as his nice +/- numbers indicate!

To follow up on that, since the Den game (the last 4 games), THJ is hitting 47% on his 3's, shooting over 5 per game.  He is not hurting us right now, but people are still piling on him!  Haha.  Give that man some love!
Like Reply
I may actually go with JJ. He timed his spurt so well it seemed he was the one who knew it was seats for soldiers night and played like it, the effort from most of the rest of the guys was pretty disappointing. 

Might even give an assist to the refs for once, we're not going to get two late charge calls like that every time
Like Reply

This was the intention of the originator of the award. Dirk was not supposed to get the Dirkie unless he did something much better than he usually did. As we've seen with things like the intended use of the "like" button (in the past) and other things, people will do what they want regardless of rules being laid out. 

It's "Human sacrifice. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria." However, it is true, those men have no _ick. Well that's what I've heard!
Like Reply

?????

I love it when Kammrath talks numbers. I'm a big fan. But this (numberless) pro-THJ talk has got me wondering what he’s been smoking. Not sure we're watching the same game, amigo.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 09:05 PM)Jommybone Wrote: ?????

I love it when Kammrath talks numbers. I'm a big fan. But this (numberless) pro-THJ talk has got me wondering what he’s been smoking. Not sure we're watching the same game, amigo.

THJ was +15, had no turnovers, had 13 points on 40% from three, and had a game saving drawn charge. I have NOT been a fan of him this season at all, but he was good this past game, second only to Luka IMO.
Like Reply
Preconceived notions of players on the forum seem to dictate in game and post game comments at times. If the team is losing, or this season, strugging a bit while winning, then the player that everyone has already decided to dislike gets kicked out of frustration, even if that player actually has a good game. And in this case, even if the player is one of the keys to the win!
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 09:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Preconceived notions of players on the forum seem to dictate in game and post game comments at times. If the team is losing, or this season, strugging a bit while winning, then the player that everyone has already decided to dislike gets kicked out of frustration, even if that player actually has a good game. And in this case, even if the player is one of the keys to the win!

Yep. 

This is also why politics is so frustrating. Smile
Like Reply