Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 139, PELICANS 107
(12-03-2021, 02:50 AM)omahen Wrote: I share your opinion. The only possible tank imho would be to sit Luka this season (either because he is injured or because he agrees) and aim for a very high draft pick in 2022. This could give us an asset we need for that big trade we need. The clock is ticking. Mavs have to be contenders in one or two years or Luka will be gone.

I don't think Mavs are very limited with their picks to trade. Only 2023 is owed. Key is to create opportunity, not just wait for one, imho. If you succeed, I am sure there are ways to overcome that 2023 limitation and construct an appealing offer. Not for superstar, we probably can't construct an offer for that. But a good starter, almost a star, should be possible, imho.

Is it possible perhaps to add several of our player and get a superstar? I have no idea about NBA contracts and trades etc. how it works. So for instance could we trade KP, THJ, DFS and some picks to a superstar? Maybe this would be a way of constructing the roster? Once Luka is paired with someone consistent that is dominating game in and out, then it is easier to construct out from that the rest of the roster. Through FA and draft. Maybe. Just a thought.
Like Reply
(12-03-2021, 05:38 PM)burekemde Wrote: Is it possible perhaps to add several of our player and get a superstar? I have no idea about NBA contracts and trades etc. how it works. So for instance could we trade KP, THJ, DFS and some picks to a superstar? Maybe this would be a way of constructing the roster? Once Luka is paired with someone consistent that is dominating game in and out, then it is easier to construct out from that the rest of the roster. Through FA and draft. Maybe. Just a thought.

When someone is trading a superstar it is usually because they hit the wall and don't see a way forward. This means they will go into rebuild and so they are looking for young talent and picks. In such case, KP and THJ are useful just as a salary match but don't hold particular value for the team trading for them. Due to length and size of their contracts it would be also difficult to flip them to someone else. Dallas is limited in picks and basically have zero young talent of value (not counting expiring Brunson). That's why I think a trade for a superstar is not realistic for Dallas. Only as a sign and trade of a free agent in the summer. But when was last time Dallas was able to convince anyone to come to Dallas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply