Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 139, PELICANS 107
MAVS BLOW OUT PELICANS

The Mavericks entered the Smoothie King Center hoping to get back on track after two  painful home losses. The Mavs air-fried the gym against the league’s worst defensive team. 

GAME NOTES

Frankie remained out with his calf problem, and Willie was out for personal reasons. KP was able to return with his sprained ankle. Zion and Josh Hart were out for New Orleans. Kidd went with a new starting lineup — Luka-Bullock-DFS-KP-Powell. Devin thought Reggie offers a little more defense and rebounding than Tim, and that Kidd might think it’s time to shake things up. Tim might have more shot opportunities coming off the bench, and might have a little better chance to break out of his slump. 

FIRST QUARTER

Luka overthrows a lob pass, but KP salvages a bucket. Powell-KP and-one off a Luka double-team. Powell fouls Valanciunas, who gets NO on the board with two free throws. Garrett Temple draws cheers from the home crowd with a corner three over Luka. Brandon Ingram hits a three, and DP answers with an and-one over Jonas. Reggie from the corner off a Luka pass. Luka intercepts a pass and lobs to DP for the oop. Luka overthrows Reggie with a touchdown pass. Mavs on an 8-0 run. Luka to the rack. DFS loses the ball out of bounds. Ingram over Doe-Doe. Luka from downtown! Luka irritated with a foul call. This Pelicans team isn’t putting up much in the way of a fight. 20-10 5:52

Brunson fouls a jump shooter. Ingram hits both freebies. Luka jumper over rookie Jones. Luka puts back a missed three. Luka pull-up from distance! Mavs force a shot-clock violation. This NO team is nothing to write home about. Luka fouled by a late double team. Good to see those free throws go in. Kleber from three! Luka makes an unselfish pass to Brunson for the trey. 35-18 1:49

Luka-Brunson connection. Jalen rack attack. 

41-23 after one

Luka leads the Mavs with 18 points. Ingram has 11 for New Orleans. Dallas shooting 16-22 from the field, 5-11 from three. Hardaway has not taken a shot, Reggie is 1-2. Kind of a yawner here, folks. 

SECOND QUARTER

Burke comes in. Bobi makes an appearance three minutes later.  Pels on a 12-2 run. 48-35 7:30

Make that 15-2. Bobi posts up JV to break the drought. Luka returns. Bobi burst has Pels calling for time. 54-38 5:38

67-46 HT

Luka has 22 points and 10 dimes. Woo-hoo! Mavs shooting 70%. Graham and Ingram combine for 28 for the Pels. This New Orleans team is exhibiting some major-league suckitude. 

THIRD QUARTER

102-75 after three

Luka has 28 points and 14 assists. DFS with 23. The Pelicans are unwatchable. Is this really an NBA team? I think they’re up for relegation or sum’n. 

FOURTH QUARTER

The deep bench goes in at the 5-minute mark. Hardaway has gotten on track with six made shots.

139-107 FT

OBSERVATIONS

Not much of a game, tbqh, if you prefer your contests with even the slightest hint of a competitive edge. I don’t think we’ll learn much of anything from any kind of deep analysis or player commentary. I’m glad there are a few of these egg-sucking teams in the league to help the Mavs shore up their record, but I can’t think this kind of subpar excuse for an entertainment product will do much for the NBA’s ratings. 

But anyway, no need for grousing after a victory. it’s a W, and counts as much as any other, so that’s good. 

NEXT. The Mavs face these self-same Pels on Friday in the second half of the home-and-home. 

11-9 
[-] The following 9 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • burekemde, Dahlsim, dirkfansince1998, embellisher, hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, michaeltex, omahen, ReunionMav
Like Reply
That was quick. What is going on in Mavs media land. Nothing else to do? No post game interviews?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Watched the Pelican broadcast...here are some highlights...

He had 30 seconds to get that shot off (Burke)...

When was the last time the Mavs missed a shot...other announcer said 30 minutes...

Mavs are having their way on offense while the Pelicans are struggling to beat the shot clock...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Line of the night.

https://twitter.com/betthehoops/status/1...3834977286

(12-01-2021, 10:11 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavs air-fried the gym against the league’s worst defensive team. 

No kidding.

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/14...7880999938
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
If we can play a Zion-less Pels every game, I think we'll win the championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
It would be really nice if Mavs would distributed their shooting accuracy between games more evenly. One day 15 %, the next one 65 %.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, embellisher, fifteenth, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 10:28 PM)Tyler Wrote: Line of the night.

https://twitter.com/betthehoops/status/1...3834977286

No kidding.

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/14...7880999938

What did he say in that line, i cant hear it well what it is?
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 05:19 AM)burekemde Wrote: What did he say in that line, i cant hear it well what it is?

OMG, the refs are bad

Edit: I think it was after they stopped Mavs fast break because NO 24s ran out
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • burekemde, Tyler
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 10:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That was quick. What is going on in Mavs media land. Nothing else to do? No post game interviews?

Yeah, it just didn't seem worth diving into all that for a game against the sixth-grade girls. 

There was a bit of interesting stuff regarding the change in the starting lineup. I think of lot of fans interpreted that as a finger-shake at THJ, but Kidd said that it was an attempt to get Bullock on track. He talked with Tim about it beforehand, and Tim was fine with it. When Tim himself was asked about it, he was like, whatevs, it's not the first time I've come off the bench. 

I don't know whether Kidd considered the effort to get Reggie back on the straight and narrow successful or not. He had six points. Took three 3PTA and completed two. Tim, on the other hand, had 16 points, and was 6-9 from the field (4-7 3PTA). Not sure how meaningful any of that is against this level of competition.
[-] The following 4 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Part 1 off what I wanted happened last night with Bullock moving to the starting lineup. THJ , Brunson and Burke off the bench makes the most sense. 

Part 2 has to be moving Green to the starting lineup.  Green is a pretty good defender and brings a lot of energy. I would prefer DFS also off the bench. If not going for more defense I would prefer a deadeye shooter but we don’t have one. 

We need some guys who are defensive hounds in that starting lineup to have that energy level up from the start. Might be losing some offense but we should be able to make up with that bench strength and the hope is that the better defense from the start doesn’t put us in a large hole.
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 09:21 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, it just didn't seem worth diving into all that for a game against the sixth-grade girls. 

There was a bit of interesting stuff regarding the change in the starting lineup. I think of lot of fans interpreted that as a finger-shake at THJ, but Kidd said that it was an attempt to get Bullock on track. He talked with Tim about it beforehand, and Tim was fine with it. When Tim himself was asked about it, he was like, whatevs, it's not the first time I've come off the bench. 

I don't know whether Kidd considered the effort to get Reggie back on the straight and narrow successful or not. He had six points. Took three 3PTA and completed two. Tim, on the other hand, had 16 points, and was 6-9 from the field (4-7 3PTA). Not sure how meaningful any of that is against this level of competition.

Isn't the common wisdom that shooters need to believe it's going in? Maybe this is a step in that direction in getting Bullock and THJ more confident. Helps that DAL is playing the JV, but these type games SHOULD be a blow out.

If the next game is like this, then it will be almost like 5 days off with a couple of scrimmages thrown in to keep the conditioning up.
Like Reply
I think we are underestimating Pelicans too much. Lets not forget that they won in the last ten games or so Clippers twice, Wizards, Jazz and Grizzlies. Yes their start was terrible without their core and best player, yes are they only one place above from being the last in the West and yes, they did not find any answer for Mavs offence in general and Luka, KP and THJ in particular. Still - before the game their last ten game statistics was 5 : 5, better than Mavs. And, after perusing a little their forums, some of them expect a kind of "revenge" game/win on Friday (fans, that is).
With all the kudos to our team, but our next game with Pels will not be so easy as this one, I think.
[-] The following 2 users Like Borkhan's post:
  • ballsrchr, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 09:26 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Part 2 has to be moving Green to the starting lineup.
Do we have an indication that something like this is in the offing?
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 11:04 AM)Borkhan Wrote: I think we are underestimating Pelicans too much. Lets not forget that they won in the last ten games or so Clippers twice, Wizards, Jazz and Grizzlies. Yes their start was terrible without their core and best player, yes are they only one place above from being the last in the West and yes, they did not find any answer for Mavs offence in general and Luka, KP and THJ in particular. Still - before the game their last ten game statistics was 5 : 5, better than Mavs. And, after perusing a little their forums, some of them expect a kind of "revenge" game/win on Friday (fans, that is).
With all the kudos to our team, but our next game with Pels will not be so easy as this one, I think.

I, for one, would welcome a better showing from the Pels. 

However bad or good they are in general, last night's performance was one the NBA should be ashamed to put out there for customers who are expecting an NBA-quality product to buy.

Would not be surprised to see them do a little better tomorrow. I mean, there's really nowhere to go but up, is there?
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 11:47 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Do we have an indication that something like this is in the offing?

I just don’t understand why one of our better man to man defenders is languishing when we need better defenders around Luka and KP. I know it won’t happen but wish it would.
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 12:41 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I just don’t understand why one of our better man to man defenders is languishing when we need better defenders around Luka and KP. I know it won’t happen but wish it would.

I don't know, man. It seems like he would be yet another guy that opponents don't even need to pretend to guard. 

But, I hear what you're saying on the need for better defenders in the SL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 12:41 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I just don’t understand why one of our better man to man defenders is languishing when we need better defenders around Luka and KP. I know it won’t happen but wish it would.

Defense only wings are nearly unplayable in todays NBA.  Green's defense is not nearly enough to make up for the offense being effectively 4 on 5.  There is a reason he is only seeing garbage minutes.  He should probably still be in the G League.

If you want to beef up the starting lineup defense, replacing THJ with Bullock is probably your best option (at least until Frank gets back, but not sure his offense warrants starting minutes).  The other option is to replace Powell with Maxi, which maybe they will do once he gets he fully recovers/conditioning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
I'm not even sure I agree that Green is one of the best defenders on the team. I mean, he definitely has the physical gifts for defense and good instincts on that end, so the potential is there. But, I've noticed that most fans only evaluate the defenders who are guarding the ball-handler at the moment the shot goes up, generally. Imo, what happens leading up to that point, before their man gets the ball, is just as if not more important. 

DFS, for example, is GREAT at ball denial most of the time. And, I believe he's the best at forcing the ball-handler towards the help defense. I would never dream of replacing him with anyone if my goal was to improve the defense. I'd aim to add other good team defenders to the lineup with him. 

Maybe Green is farther along with those things than I realize - that's very possible. All I know is that Kidd has played Green less than Carlisle did, so far. So, that's two coaches who have transparently shown us they don't believe Green is quite ready to be depended upon during meaningful NBA minutes yet. I assume both of them really want him to help the team, and both had plans for the player to learn and grow into a role.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, hakeemfaan, mavsluvr
Like Reply

I also find it dispiriting if KP is now another defensive liability that we have to cover for. 

When he was signed and then maxed, I thought the idea was that he was supposed to be an asset on the defensive end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(12-02-2021, 01:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not even sure I agree that Green is one of the best defenders on the team. I mean, he definitely has the physical gifts for defense and good instincts on that end, so the potential is there. But, I've noticed that most fans only evaluate the defenders who are guarding the ball-handler at the moment the shot goes up, generally. Imo, what happens leading up to that point, before their man gets the ball, is just as if not more important. 

DFS, for example, is GREAT at ball denial most of the time. And, I believe he's the best at forcing the ball-handler towards the help defense. I would never dream of replacing him with anyone if my goal was to improve the defense. I'd aim to add other good team defenders to the lineup with him. 

Maybe Green is farther along with those things than I realize - that's very possible. All I know is that Kidd has played Green less than Carlisle did, so far. So, that's two coaches who have transparently shown us they don't believe Green is quite ready to be depended upon during meaningful NBA minutes yet. I assume both of them really want him to help the team, and both had plans for the player to learn and grow into a role.

What I am trying to say is about developing an asset. A decent team should be able to survive 15 minutes per night from a low producing rookie, who they want to develop and (if nothing else), increase his trade value. For some reason Mavs decided they rather do this kind of thing with WCS and Powell. Playing two guys 15 minutes per night each despite minimum production they provide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply