Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIMMONS AND VOULGARIS DISH ON THE MAVS
(11-28-2021, 10:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope he learns that 1% can be the difference between being really great vs being all time great.

I think it is pretty common that age brings wisdom.   Some never figure it out (Iverson), but very view come into the league with all the secrets.   it took years for Dirk and Nash to change their diets.   There was reporting that Lebron didn't wake up to it until being around Kobe in the Olympics and now he is considered the gold standard.   
He may need to figure it out on his own.   A few times coming up short can help you look inside a little.    Most guys figure out that there are things you can do to give you a 1 to 2% advantage.

[Image: FAz3.gif]
Like Reply
Thanks for the breakdown, mavsluvr.  I've been trying to work through that pod, but it's a little longer than I normally listen to.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
I do not blame Voulgaris for anything...I know it is popular to act like he ruined everything but the MBT was already damaged. I blame Cuban for facilitating this disaster of a front office environment. Voulgaris was an outsider tasked to do what Cuban told him to do.

I agree with most of the points they discussed. The Seth Curry trade was just a horrible move in hindsight. Yes he is not a good defender but he is one the best shooters in the league. Players like that should be kept, regardless of their defensive shortcomings. Especially on this roster that is so dependent on the three ball. These so-called "3 and D" players like Bullock or JRich are hit or miss. Sure they may have had some good seasons of statistical shooting but it is never a guarantee that they will continue to make shots when they suit up for your team. An actual elite shooter like Seth is going to be great wherever they play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 12:14 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I do not blame Voulgaris for anything...I know it is popular to act like he ruined everything but the MBT was already damaged. I blame Cuban for facilitating this disaster of a front office environment. Voulgaris was an outsider tasked to do what Cuban told him to do.

I agree with most of the points they discussed. The Seth Curry trade was just a horrible move in hindsight. Yes he is not a good defender but he is one the best shooters in the league. Players like that should be kept, regardless of their defensive shortcomings. Especially on this roster that is so dependent on the three ball. These so-called "3 and D" players like Bullock or JRich are hit or miss. Sure they may have had some good seasons of statistical shooting but it is never a guarantee that they will continue to make shots when they suit up for your team. An actual elite shooter like Seth is going to be great wherever they play.

Does anyone blame Bob for everything though?  I don't think any of us really understand the dysfunction.  Donnie had his issues, Carlisle had his and I'm sure Bob had his too.  Cuban's leadership is the issue.  It turns out the business side of the house wasn't the only operation that he let the wheels come off of.

I'm also happy to be the charter member of the "Seth Curry trade was fucking dumb" club.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 12:37 AM)cow Wrote: Does anyone blame Bob for everything though?  I don't think any of us really understand the dysfunction.  Donnie had his issues, Carlisle had his and I'm sure Bob had his too.  Cuban's leadership is the issue.  It turns out the business side of the house wasn't the only operation that he let the wheels come off of.

I'm also happy to be the charter member of the "Seth Curry trade was fucking dumb" club.

Before we learned more details, I think a lot of fans had put the bullseye on Voulgaris (and still do) because he was the easy target - the outsider who did not get along with others (esp. Luka) and had too much authority. But yes, that was all Cuban's call...I don't know if his plan was to create such a mess that Donnie would finally leave but if that was the case, Cuban shouldn't have been scared and just fired Donnie years ago.

And it sounds like Voulgaris is not too high on KP as a max player, like most of us. So I guess that trade was all Donnie's idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 01:37 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Cuban shouldn't have been scared and just fired Donnie years ago.

Yep.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 01:37 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Before we learned more details, I think a lot of fans had put the bullseye on Voulgaris (and still do) because he was the easy target - the outsider who did not get along with others (esp. Luka) and had too much authority. But yes, that was all Cuban's call...I don't know if his plan was to create such a mess that Donnie would finally leave but if that was the case, Cuban shouldn't have been scared and just fired Donnie years ago.

And it sounds like Voulgaris is not too high on KP as a max player, like most of us. So I guess that trade was all Donnie's idea.

Seems like I read a lot of posters on here whom arent very fond of KP even say that they would have done the KP trade.   I dont know the details of the trade...but it sure seems like most people who do know the details claim that it was a no-brainer for Dallas.  

I thought Dallas maxed KP after the trade, not New York maxing him first.   Or was being given a max contract the only way KP would have come here via trade?
Like Reply
Just wanted to say that this podcast was one of the best ones I've heard in a long time. Always love it when Simmons brings a knowledgeable guest on the Mavs and gives a 2 hour long in depth breakdown. Wish he did it more often.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply