Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIMMONS AND VOULGARIS DISH ON THE MAVS
Bob was the featured guest on Bill’s podcast, and he shared his thoughts about the Mavs.

Building a team around Luka

Luka is unquestionably a generational talent. But building around him is not as easy as people think, as you need specific talents. Ideally, you have guys around him who can defend very well, can hit threes, are switchable on defense, and who are happy playing a limited, secondary role. That last one is important. Some guys are just not happy in that kind of position. 

Need defenders to cover for Luka. Luka isn’t an awful defender, but the mental toll of having the ball all the time and being constantly double-teamed is great, and there is just so much you can ask him to do defensively. 

Need shooters and playmaking to take advantage of Luka’s talents.  Luka is outstanding at responding to being double-teamed. You need guys who can do something with the ball when Luka makes the right pass. Cites Willie as an example of the fit not really working. 

It is also difficult building around Luka when KP’s max contract is on your cap. There are a couple of tiers of max players — some based on outstanding talent and skill, like LeBron and Steph. Then a second tier who are not that level of player, but get paid the same as the better players because that is what the system encourages. KP is the second type of player. So, if you want to keep KP, you are forced to pay him as if he were a superstar talent, even though he isn’t, because that is the result the system leads to. And, if you max out both KP and Luka, you have very little margin of error when it comes to the supporting cast, and you need to make very sure you get those choices right.

Curry-JR trade 

This trade had already been agreed to when he joined, but he understands why the Mavs thought they had to make Seth available. With Seth, you had too many guys in the lineup who couldn’t defend, and Seth was a defensive target. He was outstanding offensively, but the team goal was not limited to having winning regular seasons, and it is tough to keep defensive liabilities on the floor in the playoffs. If Bob has a criticism of the trade, it is that the Mavs probably could have gotten something better in return than JR. 

Porzingis

KP is a good NBA player; he mostly gets maligned due to his salary. If he were being paid $15M, he would probably be considered an asset. However, he is not a first-tier max player and it is challenging when you have a guy like that maxed out. 

What is KP’s ceiling? if KP were the only max player on a team, that team would probably try to build around him. However, almost no team these days builds around a big, due mostly to the nature of the game. Bigs can and do get played off the floor in the playoffs. Jokic is an exception, because he doesn’t play like a big — he’s a PG in a center’s body. Almost all of the dominant players now are 2-way, ball handling wings and guards. 

KP was a defensive target last season because of injury-related mobility issues, and that team had a lot of problems defending in space. Now that he is healthy, he has some room to bring his defensive game back up. 

Offensively, the whole point of a stretch 5 is to punish teams who switch a small on to him. KP hasn’t been especially successful at that, partly to his body and its high center of gravity.  

KP is not a locker room issue. He works hard, tries to improve, will do what you ask him to without complaining, is not a diva. The problem is that for system-related reasons, you’re locked into having to overpay him relative to his contribution.

How good are the Mavs? 

The team is decent this year. They’re in the WC mix, partly due to their own talent, partly due to the West having so many long-term injury issues. They’re not that far from being a contender. The right trade could help a lot. 

Golden State and the Suns are the best teams in the West, with a big gap to the third team. Simmons would add Utah to that group, and thinks that the Mavs are in the mix with a lot of other teams for the fourth seed.

Is Luka out of shape and hurting the team? 

He’s not in terrible shape, but he’s not at his peak. He has a history of playing his way into shape, and as young as he is, he has been able to do that. Bob understands why the Mavs don’t want him to lose weight, but says Luka could be better conditioned, and likely will be.  

There are a couple of issues in holding Luka accountable for this. One is who is going to do it. It’s not his teammates, who are there to support him. Maybe more importantly, what do you tell him is adversely impacting the team? If you were to make a list of things Luka would do well to improve, it would first be things like attention to defensive detail, and shooting. Things that are not weight-related. If it is hard to identify a significant negative impact his conditioning is having on the team, it may be the best decision just to let him play his way into shape.   

Some people think Luka’s conditioning might be leading him to settle for bad shots. Bob thinks that’s mostly a red herring. When Luka starts games, he’s focusing on feeling out the game and playing to the crowd, and that might lead to daring shot selection. But at the ends of games, he’s usually in an all-business mode, and will make the simple pass to the right guy rather than trying to do something flashy. When he does settle, it’s not usually because he doesn’t have any legs.

His shooting is down this year, but so is the rest of the league. Bob thinks that the league drop in shooting is mostly a regression to the mean, after a big jump in performance in the COVID season. Without fans in the arenas, there weren’t many distractions, and guys could concentrate and shoot better.

What was Bob’s reaction to Cato’s article?

Was infuriated at first, because Cato had nothing to do with anything that took place. He was just the recipient of some insider information from some people who had permission to leak. Then Bob came to the point of view that that just didn’t matter. 

Doesn’t characterize the leaks as someone with an ax to grind. Thinks it is more that the people thought that the leaking would increase their chances to hold onto their jobs. Was surprised when he joined the Mavs that there were so many unqualified people being paid large amounts to do their jobs, when they had little chance of getting hired at those kinds of salaries anywhere else. He underestimated the office politics people were willing to wield in order to protect their sinecures. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0542992266
[-] The following 4 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • Hypermav, KillerLeft, omahen, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Bob understands why the Mavs don’t want him to lose weight, but says Luka could be better conditioned, and likely will be.  

There are a couple of issues in holding Luka accountable for this. One is who is going to do it. It’s not his teammates, who are there to support him.

Totally agree with this. Luka doesn't need to lose weight, he needs to lose fat. BUT, BUT, BUT he has to own it for himself. He has to grow up and take responsibility, someone cannot do that for him.

(11-27-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Was surprised when he joined the Mavs that there were so many unqualified people being paid large amounts to do their jobs, when they had little chance of getting hired at those kinds of salaries anywhere else.

Yeah, it seems this is very true. Lots of incompetence and ineptitude coming from within the organization over the last decade.
Like Reply
We really have to appreciate you. Despite all the pain you write such a great recap. I hope you are better now Smile

Mark Followill on Twitter: "A shoutout to the good folks at Medical City Las Colinas. In their care most of Friday for my first ever kidney stone. Those are as bad as they're made out to be. Listen to your body. Wish I had 3 wks ago & this may have been avoided. Anyway, see y'all tonight for Mavs vs Wizards" / Twitter
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Kidney stones are awful.  I had a 4mm x 7mm that passed the day before they were going to blast it.  Considering my deductible and copay for the procedure, the kidney stone was worth a gemstone at that point.  Tongue  

I am sure Mavsluvr is feeling much better now.

Thanks for the recap, I was going to listen but had not been able so far.

Interesting take on the shooting without crowds vs with crowds.  Looks like we are doomed in that scenario, but I expect the Mavs to improve over the year.  It sure has been a rough start.
Like Reply
omahen and hypermav,

I did have to make a trip to the emergency room, but am feeling much better by now. 

Stay hydrated, folks!
[-] The following 8 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • BasketballJones41, burekemde, HIMAV, Hypermav, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Curry-JR trade 

This trade had already been agreed to when he joined, but he understands why the Mavs thought they had to make Seth available. With Seth, you had too many guys in the lineup who couldn’t defend, and Seth was a defensive target. He was outstanding offensively, but the team goal was not limited to having winning regular seasons, and it is tough to keep defensive liabilities on the floor in the playoffs. If Bob has a criticism of the trade, it is that the Mavs probably could have gotten something better in return than JR. 

Great summary, as always. 

I listened this one, and I think you missed the mark by just a little on the above snippet. 

The Curry trade wasn't agreed to before Voulgaris came on - it was almost a year into his tenure, which was right around two years long, I believe. In fact, he took credit for the Curry signing (2nd time) in the first place. What he said was something very close to "That wasn't my trade, but I did like Richardson very much, and I think they knew that." What you went on to summarize about his thoughts regarding the reasons to trade Curry and the thought (in hindsight) that they could/should've gotten more were pretty accurate, imo. 

I stickle for two reasons:

1) Voulgaris went out of his way to point out that while he wasn't directly responsible for dreaming that particular trade up, he didn't protest it at the time. 

2) This would seem to confirm the part of Cato/Amick's article describing how multiple people were working the phones with differing agendas, only communicating when things got close to fruition. I'm sure some measure of this approach happens with every team, but in the article (and another one - a GM survey) there were anonymous GM quotes stating that nobody actually knew who to deal with in Dallas. Nobody knew who was actually in charge. I think it's safe to say, at this point, that this part is at least partially true. I sure hope they've taken steps to tighten up their approach.

(11-27-2021, 05:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: omahen and hypermav,

I did have to make a trip to the emergency room, but am feeling much better by now. 

Stay hydrated, folks!

I hope you're feeling better!
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 05:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: omahen and hypermav,

Stay hydrated, folks!

Oh no! Seems like you're referencing real life, here, and not your forum given identity! Hope you're all better! I had to head to the emergency room one time for severe dehydration caused by food poisoning induced by a taco bell chicken taco!
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 03:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Totally agree with this. Luka doesn't need to lose weight, he needs to lose fat. BUT, BUT, BUT he has to own it for himself. He has to grow up and take responsibility, someone cannot do that for him.

Yeah, both Simmons and Voulgaris were pretty frank (in a nice way) about their concerns with Luka's conditioning. 

Voulgaris told a story from one of his earlier days on the job during which he watched Luka go to the catering area and fill up a large water jug with half sweet tea and half lemonade to use as hydration for the day's basketball activities. He said he was looking around for someone else to notice, someone else who, like him, thought "this is not a good idea."
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 05:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Voulgaris told a story from one of his earlier days on the job during which he watched Luka go to the catering area and fill up a large water jug with half sweet tea and half lemonade to use as hydration for the day's basketball activities. He said he was looking around for someone else to notice, someone else who, like him, thought "this is not a good idea."

Holy crap. What an anecdote. Thanks for sharing that. Makes sense with what I have seen and heard elsewhere about his "sweet tooth." He might need a little bit of failure to be a wake up call for him. Here's to hoping it comes real soon....or already has with the start of this season.
Like Reply
I don't like the idea of an organization not being able to tell a superstar what he needs to hear. Maybe I'm outa touch, but I don't think you can be afraid of people based in their status. That's a bad way to run things, and folks that are scared to tell people what they need to hear become enablers.
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jommybone, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 08:19 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't like the idea of an organization not being able to tell a superstar what he needs to hear. Maybe I'm outa touch, but I don't think you can be afraid of people based in their status. That's a bad way to run things, and folks that are scared to tell people what they need to hear become enablers.

I would guarantee the Mavs have folks IN Luka's ear about this stuff. But they cannot give him an ultimatum. They can only coach, guide, and recommend him to change things. But his off time, is his off time. He HAS to own it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 08:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would guarantee the Mavs have folks IN Luka's ear about this stuff. But they cannot give him an ultimatum. They can only coach, guide, and recommend him to change things. But his off time, is his off time. He HAS to own it.

I agree with all that. My comment was a response to Bob's "who is going to do it?" regarding holding Luka accountable.
Like Reply
There you have it...from and Insider.  Do you believe what he says?  Do you pick and choose what to believe?  Do you claim that he has an ax to grind with Dallas Mavs and maybe he is just saying this to piss off Mavs front office?

"KP is not an issue.  Not a Diva.  Works hard and does what is asked."

Can all you folks on here claiming KP is a whining bitch and diva please explain this?
[-] The following 2 users Like dynamicalVoid's post:
  • ClutchDirk, MangaAfterDark
Like Reply
Mavsluvr. Glad you are doing ok. 

As for stars to build around, there are very few who are easy to build around. However even those stars like a LeBron for eg was not satisfied with Kuzma, Ingram and Ball, any of whom will be the 3rd best player on our team if not the 2nd best. Kobe also needed Shaq or Pau/Odom. Bottom line is you need talent. 

Does anyone ask Bob about Green vs Maxey? Plus we had an early 2nd rounder who is out of the league now.  Everyone associated with the front office seems to have criticism of someone else or the answers but none have done well when given whatever opportunities they were presented with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(11-27-2021, 08:19 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't like the idea of an organization not being able to tell a superstar what he needs to hear. Maybe I'm outa touch, but I don't think you can be afraid of people based in their status. That's a bad way to run things, and folks that are scared to tell people what they need to hear become enablers.

Agreed. 

I think his point was a bit more nuanced than that. It was more like an explanation of why Luka's conditioning seems to be a lot more worrisome to the fans than it does to the team. I think this is his general line of reasoning --

1. Whose job is it to hold Luka accountable for his conditioning? That is not his teammates' role, so you can't blame them for the issue. 

2. So you go to the coaching/training staff. What are they going to say to him? If Luka were red-faced and winded and unable to make it up and down the court at the ends of games, they could point that out to him and show him how he is hurting the team. But the fact is that few of Luka's struggles this season have anything to do with his conditioning. If he were to play himself into peak form in (for example) three weeks instead of six, it would likely make very little difference in the overall team performance.

3. So, when the staff can't point out problems that his conditioning is causing, they don't have much to complain about, and ordering him to step up his conditioning would be akin to telling him, "Dude, your girlfriend sucks. Work on getting a new one." They would risk offending him, and to what end, if whatever he is doing is not causing an on-court problem? Therefore, since he has a history of playing himself into top shape, it may well be the best decision just to let him complete that effort on his own, without harassing him about it.  

I did not take Bob's comments as a statement that people were afraid to talk to Luka about deficiencies that were causing an actual significant problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Luka aint ever going to be quick...and with optimized Luka the results would be marginal.  Get over it.

Dude is FULLY capable of knowing how to pace himself...so the excuse of him being tired or whatever at the end of games is baseless.

Luka isnt losing games because he is tired in the fourth...and athletically optimized Luka isnt going to really change any minds.

Will optimized Luka help Luka the athlete...a little...but is it worth talking about every other thread.  No.

The guy is winning Cerebrally...he doesnt rely on athletics.  Hes not all the sudden going to turn into Ja Morant with conditioning.
Like Reply

Cuban: How about you lay off the coke for a while.
Luka: How about you get me better team mates.
Cuban: Maybe diet coke?
Like Reply

Well, Dirk has done that , at least before he was a consultant to the team.
Was asked few times about his advice to Luka, and he said he can't start working on what he eats soon enough.

But then again, in Dirk last season (Luka rookie year) Dirk said that Luka doesn't like to listen to him when he talks about "good old days" while KP is the one who listen and ask. Not sure if this extend to the advice. 

But Dirk and Kidd are HOF, and as talented as Luka he will be lucky to have a career like them and despite his insane talent, it will be tough for him to outrank Dirk in the all time great list (although he has legit chance) so if those 2 can't tell him that, that is on the organization. 

If they say it and he doesn't listen, it is on him
[-] The following 2 users Like khaled1987's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 07:53 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Well, Dirk has done that , at least before he was a consultant to the team.
Was asked few times about his advice to Luka, and he said he can't start working on what he eats soon enough.

Yep. Yep. Yep.
Like Reply
I hope he learns that 1% can be the difference between being really great vs being all time great.

I think it is pretty common that age brings wisdom.   Some never figure it out (Iverson), but very view come into the league with all the secrets.   it took years for Dirk and Nash to change their diets.   There was reporting that Lebron didn't wake up to it until being around Kobe in the Olympics and now he is considered the gold standard.   
He may need to figure it out on his own.   A few times coming up short can help you look inside a little.    Most guys figure out that there are things you can do to give you a 1 to 2% advantage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply