Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 3: DAL (3-0) @ CHO (1-3) | 127-59 win
KP looked great. I know it's preseason but I loved how he moved the ball. Too often last season he would shoot basically anytime he caught the ball because he might not see it again for a long time. This season he touches the ball during almost every possession and he moves it when KP doesn't have a good shot

Great stuff
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • ClutchDirk, embellisher
Like Reply
(10-13-2021, 10:46 PM)MFFL Wrote: KP looked great. I know it's preseason but I loved how he moved the ball. Too often last season he would shoot basically anytime he caught the ball because he might not see it again for a long time. This season he touches the ball during almost every possession and he moves it when KP doesn't have a good shot

Great stuff

I still think he kicks out too much when he has a guy pinned down low.   Usually he kicks out to an open player behind the arch...and maybe thats a better modern NBA shot or the shot the team prefers...but still comes across as NOT MAX PLAYERISH.

I like that KP is unselfish...just wish he could be a little more enforcing downlow.   He kicked out with Melo on him.   Melo is long...but it was just KP with Melo on him about 6-8 feet from the basket...you gotta take advantage, right?

Im a KP supporter by the way.   Defended him on this website for over a year now.
Like Reply
23/9/2
Like Reply
If KP stays healthy, and plays like he has in the preseason all year, this team is going places.
Like Reply
Most impressive feature by Charlotte player yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMTBAJjvCZQ
Like Reply
(10-13-2021, 11:10 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I still think he kicks out too much when he has a guy pinned down low.   Usually he kicks out to an open player behind the arch...and maybe thats a better modern NBA shot or the shot the team prefers...but still comes across as NOT MAX PLAYERISH.

I like that KP is unselfish...just wish he could be a little more enforcing downlow.   He kicked out with Melo on him.   Melo is long...but it was just KP with Melo on him about 6-8 feet from the basket...you gotta take advantage, right?

Im a KP supporter by the way.   Defended him on this website for over a year now.

Showing that he actually sees the floor and can find the open man regularly would be a major and significant improvement already. The whole team seems to move the ball better and I think it comes from more movement and the idea that a long two is not a bad shot. Last year it felt every player was forced to either take a lay-up or a three, because that´s what the advanced metrics tell you. Sometimes you are not comfortable taking the contested three, and it´s better to let the defender go by take a quick step and take the comfortable wide open long two. Saw that with THJ and Brunson a few times. I think it helps the whole team that the offense is less restrictive and they are not scared to express themselves anymore. At least we will learn more about the limitations of all the players.
Like Reply
Rotations were probably more normalized through three quarters yesterday.  I suspect Bullock will play in place of Green and play a bigger role than Green played.  Otherwise, what they did makes sense:

Between 4:30 and 3:24 Brunson, WCS, Maxi and Sterling subbed in for the non-Luka starters.

34 seconds later Green came in for Luka and you had all bench players for 13 seconds  before KP came back for WCS.  

For about the next six minutes of game time it was KP with "his" subs (Maxi, Green, Sterling and Brunson).
     I suspect it will be Bullock instead of Green when everyone is available and the "non-Luka" minutes will be OK

At 9:08 in the second, Powell, DFS and Luka came in for KP, Green and Brunson.  
     So Luka's guys were Powell plus DFS and holdovers Maxi and S. Brown.  THJ came back for Brown about four minutes later.
     The four minutes without KP, THJ or Brunson are the weakest link in the rotation.  
     This is where Luka gets to take over and be PnR ball dominant Luka with rim running Powell and the floor spread.
     This is where having Bullock and/or S. Brown makes a huge difference over JRich.  These minutes were rough last season.

At 4:25 WCS replaced Powell and at 3:34 Brunson and KP replaced DFS and Maxi
     This provided a half closing lineup of Luka, Brunson, THJ, KP and WCS

Despite the score, the third quarter started out similar to the first.  The Maxi, WCS, Brunson grouping came in at 6:00.   
     1:40 later Luka and THJ sat and it was all bench players...WCS, Maxi, Green, Brown and Brunson.  

There were only 30 seconds of time without two bigs.  KP played next to all three of Powell, WCS and Maxi.  Other than Powell and WCS, they seem willing to play any combination of the four bigs.  Powell started and WCS was first off the bench, but Maxi actually got the longest burn of the three.

Offensively it seems the plan is to keep at least two of Luka, KP, THJ and Brunson on the floor as much as possible.  Brunson doesn't sub in directly for Luka, which gives him some time next to Luka before Luka sits.  On this night at least, Brunson finished the half putting our four best offensive players on the floor simultaneously for the only time all night they played together.

The above gives Brunson an expanded role.  But, it appears DFS will lose some minutes if we keep two bigs on and at least one of Brunson or THJ on with either KP or Luka (or both) for 44 minutes like we did this night.  It only leaves so many minutes to be divided between DFS, Bullock, S. Brown and players outside the top nine (like Green). 

This isn't that different than what was done last year.  If you watched lineups very closely, they were actively trying to hide JRich.  Having more capable shooters in Bullock and S. Brown helps that.  Healthy KP, Powell and Maxi is also huge.  Between Frank, Green, Moses (and maybe Burke) we seem better equipped to absorb injuries to the top nine in the rotation.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is it feels like the shackles of Rick's super-cautious "make no mistakes and take only efficient shots" approach have been removed.  That approach isn't bad for a young team as it keeps them from beating themselves.  The question is whether this group can be more creative and move the ball more without negatively impacting TO's and the efficiency of their shooting.  Right now that freedom seems to have totally transformed the atmosphere around the team.  That creativity and freedom can also increase the upside of the team as players can better use their instincts and athleticism.  The key is knowing your limits (looking at you Willie).  I'm really high on where this thing can go.  I see 54/55 wins as long as we don't lose KP, Luka, Brunson or THJ to injury for a significant number of games.  The first three especially would be difficult to replace, though we are better equipped this year than last.
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: actively trying to hide JRich

I will continue to beat this drum: moving on from JR was the single most important thing that happened this offseason. The Mavs will likely improve quite dramatically because of this and the happier/lighter attitude around all the players who are playing loose and free and not like beat-down prisoners (just a metaphor).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
I've been intrigued by Moses Brown and was able to observe him for the first time last night. 

I agree with an earlier comment that he has moments where the rawness is apparent, but he's playing with such enthusiasm that I hope he stays for at least a year of maturation. Not much range on his shot, but sprinting downcourt will open him up to lobs and putbacks. Plus, staying in DAL keeps him available for coaching by Chandler. 

Similarly, I like the energy brought by EO. His skill set is a little more refined, as would be expected, but he feels like a contributor. Glad he's at least on a 2-way.

So is everyone agreed that Terry and Burke are the bubble boys for the 15-man roster?
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 08:00 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I will continue to beat this drum: moving on from JR was the single most important thing that happened this offseason. The Mavs will likely improve quite dramatically because of this and the happier/lighter attitude around all the players who are playing loose and free and not like beat-down prisoners (just a metaphor).

Indeed. Addition by subtraction. If Bullock, Green, and Sterling Brown can defend as well as JR (or better!), and Bullock and Brown shoot close to their career averages, the result may be 3 - 4 more wins.

A healthy KP who is interested in playing defense like we've seen in the preseason so far might equal another 3 - 5 wins. 

So, 6 - 9 more wins over last season?  And having the bodies and shooting to win a first time series? 

I'm very optimistic about this team!
[-] The following 3 users Like embellisher's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Hypermav, Kammrath
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 08:45 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I've been intrigued by Moses Brown and was able to observe him for the first time last night. 

I agree with an earlier comment that he has moments where the rawness is apparent, but he's playing with such enthusiasm that I hope he stays for at least a year of maturation. Not much range on his shot, but sprinting downcourt will open him up to lobs and putbacks. Plus, staying in DAL keeps him available for coaching by Chandler. 

Similarly, I like the energy brought by EO. His skill set is a little more refined, as would be expected, but he feels like a contributor. Glad he's at least on a 2-way.

So is everyone agreed that Terry and Burke are the bubble boys for the 15-man roster?

I think the Mavs would like to do a 2 for 1 deal with Terry/Burke and basically do not care about the return at all as long as it´s a guard on an expiring contract. Given all the personal turmoil the Mavs probably do not want to outright release Terry, so they´d be happy to stick him in any trade imho. I´d be shocked, if he was still on the roster at the start of next season. Burke is simply not worth all the unvaccinated trouble.
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Rotations were probably more normalized through three quarters yesterday.  I suspect Bullock will play in place of Green and play a bigger role than Green played.  Otherwise, what they did makes sense:

Between 4:30 and 3:24 Brunson, WCS, Maxi and Sterling subbed in for the non-Luka starters.

34 seconds later Green came in for Luka and you had all bench players for 13 seconds  before KP came back for WCS.  

For about the next six minutes of game time it was KP with "his" subs (Maxi, Green, Sterling and Brunson).
     I suspect it will be Bullock instead of Green when everyone is available and the "non-Luka" minutes will be OK

At 9:08 in the second, Powell, DFS and Luka came in for KP, Green and Brunson.  
     So Luka's guys were Powell plus DFS and holdovers Maxi and S. Brown.  THJ came back for Brown about four minutes later.
     The four minutes without KP, THJ or Brunson are the weakest link in the rotation.  
     This is where Luka gets to take over and be PnR ball dominant Luka with rim running Powell and the floor spread.
     This is where having Bullock and/or S. Brown makes a huge difference over JRich.  These minutes were rough last season.

At 4:25 WCS replaced Powell and at 3:34 Brunson and KP replaced DFS and Maxi
     This provided a half closing lineup of Luka, Brunson, THJ, KP and WCS

Despite the score, the third quarter started out similar to the first.  The Maxi, WCS, Brunson grouping came in at 6:00.   
     1:40 later Luka and THJ sat and it was all bench players...WCS, Maxi, Green, Brown and Brunson.  

There were only 30 seconds of time without two bigs.  KP played next to all three of Powell, WCS and Maxi.  Other than Powell and WCS, they seem willing to play any combination of the four bigs.  Powell started and WCS was first off the bench, but Maxi actually got the longest burn of the three.

Offensively it seems the plan is to keep at least two of Luka, KP, THJ and Brunson on the floor as much as possible.  Brunson doesn't sub in directly for Luka, which gives him some time next to Luka before Luka sits.  On this night at least, Brunson finished the half putting our four best offensive players on the floor simultaneously for the only time all night they played together.

The above gives Brunson an expanded role.  But, it appears DFS will lose some minutes if we keep two bigs on and at least one of Brunson or THJ on with either KP or Luka (or both) for 44 minutes like we did this night.  It only leaves so many minutes to be divided between DFS, Bullock, S. Brown and players outside the top nine (like Green). 

This isn't that different than what was done last year.  If you watched lineups very closely, they were actively trying to hide JRich.  Having more capable shooters in Bullock and S. Brown helps that.  Healthy KP, Powell and Maxi is also huge.  Between Frank, Green, Moses (and maybe Burke) we seem better equipped to absorb injuries to the top nine in the rotation.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is it feels like the shackles of Rick's super-cautious "make no mistakes and take only efficient shots" approach have been removed.  That approach isn't bad for a young team as it keeps them from beating themselves.  The question is whether this group can be more creative and move the ball more without negatively impacting TO's and the efficiency of their shooting.  Right now that freedom seems to have totally transformed the atmosphere around the team.  That creativity and freedom can also increase the upside of the team as players can better use their instincts and athleticism.  The key is knowing your limits (looking at you Willie).  I'm really high on where this thing can go.  I see 54/55 wins as long as we don't lose KP, Luka, Brunson or THJ to injury for a significant number of games.  The first three especially would be difficult to replace, though we are better equipped this year than last.

Thanks, Dan! I love reading the your lineup analysis posts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
One thing from this game that I noticed was the emphasis on talking on defense.  I definitely remember this from the 2011 title team, Tyson Chandler anchored that defense and he did it by calling out all the plays.  They are finally doing that as a team with KP a big part of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like haveitall's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Anyone have any thoughts on Frank? I only watched the highlights, and on the possessions shown Frank looked pretty comfortable and did some good things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 09:40 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts on Frank? I only watched the highlights, and on the possessions shown Frank looked pretty comfortable and did some good things.

From what I remember, he played within the flow of the game.  Made some fouls but was pretty good on defense.  Seems good at driving but missed a three.  He didnt play all that much but I think he did well.  He seems way better than a third string point guard.
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 09:40 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts on Frank? I only watched the highlights, and on the possessions shown Frank looked pretty comfortable and did some good things.

He jumper looked smooth.  Hit a three, made a layup and hit a midrange shot right when he came in.   He did look like he struggled handling the ball a little.  I am not sure if he turned it over, but he was being pressed pretty hard by a defender, if I remember correctly.   

If he makes the team, I would not expect him to be in the normal rotation.   I do like we have a two year deal with him if we wish.    I think most of his work is going to be done in practice and after/before practice to make an impression this year.
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 09:43 AM)haveitall Wrote: From what I remember, he played within the flow of the game.  Made some fouls but was pretty good on defense.  Seems good at driving but missed a three.  He didnt play all that much but I think he did well.  He seems way better than a third string point guard.

I agree Frankie looked like he had some idea of what to do out there, although by the time he got in it was starting to feel like a playground game. If he sticks, it will be a good opportunity for him to rehabilitate his rep without the spotlight of being a FRP.

Does his contract allow for G-league play?
Like Reply
KP looks healthy, happy and engaged and I would argue all three of those things were untrue last year.  

Still very concerned about our defense if he's playing the 4 the whole time but plenty of reasons to be optimistic right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ClutchDirk, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 11:00 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: KP looks healthy, happy and engaged and I would argue all three of those things were untrue last year.  

Still very concerned about our defense if he's playing the 4 the whole time but plenty of reasons to be optimistic right now.

I think most of his minutes (as Dan showed) will be with Powell or Maxi, in which case he will probably be more 5 than 4 on defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Not really sure about the position but it seems like the Mavs are going with a Brook Lopez, Rudy Gobert type of role for KP. In the paint but more often than not not guarding the opposing center. Taking advantage of his strengths as a help defender and rim protector. Leaving the worst shooter on the floor open.
Against the Clippers it was Winslow. Against the Jazz Paschall or O´Neal. Against the Hornets McDaniels.
We have seen that the mentioned approach can lead to a really good regular season defense but we have also seen that on a given night players like DFS or Terrence Mann have career highs because of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply