Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dennis Smith Jr. I hate to say it
To be fair, it's not like Knicks fans are demanding that DSJ be traded.  It's just that they wouldn't be disappointed if he got a new opportunity elsewhere.  And in completely unrelated news, the fans have decided to stay away from the team for the time being.

(Knicks fans are the absolute worst, but I have a tough time feeling much sympathy for DSJ in this case.)
Like Reply
I really don't see how anyone can blame DSJ for one of the worst franchises in NBA history.  He's obviously not this bad and also has a hard time dealing with being mismanaged.  He needs to grow up, no doubt, but this is the Knicks we are talking about.  They are Sterling-Clippers-80s/90s bad.  You could give that team prime Jordan, and he'd demand a trade in a month.  

KP wanted out for this very reason.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...6276801536

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...2789284864
Like Reply
This is an issue of the Knicks, fans, the franchise. Not DSJ. Never thought I'd say this, but he definitely should force his way out like he did in Dallas.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:55 PM)j0Shi Wrote: he definitely should force his way out like he did in Dallas

Seems more like Knicks fans will force him out. 

Personally I think DSJ is "Trey Burke 2.0" and even said so, before we traded him to NY.

Both are undersized, can't shoot outside of 3 feet, can't defend, sometimes overweight, 9th picks

DSJ is clearly a better athlete but I think Burke actually plays with more creativity. DSJ's decision making is just terrible.

What's crazy is Utah traded two No 1s to get Burke. Three years later they dealt him for a 2nd. That will be DSJ's value unless he screws his head on right and starts defending. 
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:55 PM)j0Shi Wrote: This is an issue of the Knicks, fans, the franchise. Not DSJ. Never thought I'd say this, but he definitely should force his way out like he did in Dallas.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Entitled, out of touch, New York fans deserve the Knicks franchise that they have...good for them.  But that ain't on DSJ.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Toronto could use a back-up PG (Rpators start Lowry and Van Fleet).

Learning from Lowry and Van Fleet for a couple of seasons could be good for Smith Jr development, would be a lot less pressure backing up 2 quality PGs.
Plus Canadians are lot more friendly then New Yorkers Smile
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 12:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Really hope that he can turn it around but it is not looking good. Emanuel Mudiay for example was in a similiar situation and signed a minimum deal with the Jazz after his rookie contract was over and is a solid 20 minutes per game bench scorer for them this season.
He needs to get out of NY and accept a lesser role.

If he stays in the league I wouldn´t be suprised to see him back in Dallas in a couple of years.
Landing in NY was the worst thing for DSJ. Whatever hope he had in unearthing and molding all of his talents evaporated when he chaffed at RC's mentoring and was shipped out.

I think you're absolutely right that there is still something there with him, if he can come to terms with who he is and if his time in NY doesn't completely shatter him.

(10-27-2019, 09:13 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:55 PM)j0Shi Wrote: This is an issue of the Knicks, fans, the franchise. Not DSJ. Never thought I'd say this, but he definitely should force his way out like he did in Dallas.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Entitled, out of touch, New York fans deserve the Knicks franchise that they have...good for them.  But that ain't on DSJ.
For a franchise that has been complete crap since the early 70's, outside of a barbaric run of teams that set offensive basketball back a hundred years in he early 90s, the fact that they even have fans speaks to the level of entitlement. I get the history of MSG. I love the history of NYC basketball. Still, the Knicks are approaching a half century's worth of failed seasons since their last title. Baffles me
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 12:09 AM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: DSJ looks like he wants to cry on the post game interview

https://twitter.com/TheRenderNBA/status/1188290021725372416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1188290021725372416&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1901136

Yeah, DSJ looks pretty rough there.   Confused 

East coast cities like NYC and Philly are not the places to struggle in as a player if you want to be lovedHeart
Like Reply
I might be in the minority but I'm not feeling too bad for DSJ.  He got his wish, got moved out of Dallas to the team a lot of people felt made a mistake in not drafting him in the first place.  

Sure, the fans are fickle, but I can't blame them for having this reaction.  He's looked absolutely lost out there, worse than we've ever seen him in a Mavs jersey.  After all the hype from the offseason about him fixing his shot and conditioning etc, it's a huge letdown.
Like Reply

I mean, it kind of is on DSJ, because DSJ attitude and approach to the game makes it so that only franchises like the Knicks value him.      Best case for DSJ is he becomes Fred VanVleet offensive creator off the bench in a supporting role, but Fred VanVleet doesn't demand to be traded out of Toronto because he's angry the Raptors brought in Kawhi and jealous of his usage.   So where does that leave DSJ?   Playing for organizations like the Knicks.   Trying to volume score on awful organizations.
Like Reply
If you demand to be traded because you can't play with Doncic, you really have to question everything. 
Priorities, work ethic, mental makeup, bbiq.
Like Reply
I feel bad for DSJ and hope he can get on an upward swing, but my opinion and impression is that he reminds me of Dwight Howard.  How so?  Well, in that he had it in his mind that he could rely on his overwhelming athleticism, and not so much on skill, hard work, and learning the NBA game. 

When you are that superior in strength and athleticism in high school/college, it's easy to be fooled into thinking you will be able to achieve the same level of success in the league.  But it doesn't work like that, at least not for very long, if at all.
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 02:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: I feel bad for DSJ and hope he can get on an upward swing, but my opinion and impression is that he reminds me of Dwight Howard.  How so?  Well, in that he had it in his mind that he could rely on his overwhelming athleticism, and not so much on skill, hard work, and learning the NBA game. 

When you are that superior in strength and athleticism in high school/college, it's easy to be fooled into thinking you will be able to achieve the same level of success in the league.  But it doesn't work like that, at least not for very long, if at all.

He's much closer to someone like Ryan Hollins than Howard who lead a team to the Finals
Like Reply
(10-29-2019, 07:44 AM)Jym Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 02:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: I feel bad for DSJ and hope he can get on an upward swing, but my opinion and impression is that he reminds me of Dwight Howard.  How so?  Well, in that he had it in his mind that he could rely on his overwhelming athleticism, and not so much on skill, hard work, and learning the NBA game. 

He's much closer to someone like Ryan Hollins than Howard who lead a team to the Finals
That's fair. I think people have forgotten how good Howard was before he went off the rails. He started to change when his FA and huge money was within site. Couple that with the injuries and it all just got away from him. Sad, really, because there was a time he was a humble kid that was just a beast of the court.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status...21154?s=20

Sad news and rough times for Dennis. Thoughts are with him and his family.
Like Reply
(10-29-2019, 03:31 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status...21154?s=20

Sad news and rough times for Dennis. Thoughts are with him and his family.

Ouch... prayers for Jr and the Smith family
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 02:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: "I feel bad for DSJ and hope he can get on an upward swing, but my opinion and impression is that he reminds me of Dwight Howard.  How so?  Well, in that he had it in his mind that he could rely on his overwhelming athleticism, and not so much on skill, hard work, and learning the NBA game. 

When you are that superior in strength and athleticism in high school/college, it's easy to be fooled into thinking you will be able to achieve the same level of success in the league.  But it doesn't work like that, at least not for very long, if at all."

I think I understand the point you're trying to make, but I hope you aren't actually saying they are comparable players? I think you're just comparing how they are both freak athletes. Like or hate Howard, his resume is close to hall of fame worthy. I know most don't remember that but look up his accolades. The man has accomplished a ton already. Most people just don't like Howard as a person and only remember his last several years. DSJ is a borderline bust as of this moment. I really hope he turns it around, but he's close to falling off the cliff as a player. 
Like Reply
DSJ always had excuses. Timing is bad I agree. But he catching flak and now he is out for yet another spell?  If he had no history we would all give him a free pass.   Glad he is no longer a Mav.  Related story, we almost drafted Frank and he is garbage.  DSJ spot is safe when he comes back.  A career backup for a bad team
Like Reply
I have sympathy for his families loss, but none for his basketball career.  He has made his bed.
Like Reply