Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: TT out w/ groin strain | JG not playing | Mavs go 1-4
(08-12-2021, 01:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't know if Frank N is a diamond waiting to be claimed or completely overhyped. 

BOTH!

Overhyped by some....

[Image: 200.gif]

....but I think still has the potential to be a legit NBA player (just turned 23), especially if surrounded by top flight talent like Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/James_HamNBCS/status...6318704642
Like Reply
If you take a flier on a former lottery pick on a vet minimum deal to be an end of the bench guy, I think that is not a product of overhyping.
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 10:29 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: If you take a flier on a former lottery pick on a vet minimum deal to be an end of the bench guy, I think that is not a product of overhyping.

Usually I'd agree but we are going to be tight on bench spots and need some production from another ball handler.
Like Reply
From a trainer's point of view.
[-] The following 1 user Likes david75090's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 12:08 AM)cow Wrote: Usually I'd agree but we are going to be tight on bench spots and need some production from another ball handler.

Mavs are over the cap anyway. Nice guy Nico will have to make some difficult decisions. My first one would be to buyout/waive Burke. Not to mention that they still have to clean up the front court mess. Otherwise the WCS at SF joke might become reality.
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 08:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs are over the cap anyway. Nice guy Nico will have to make some difficult decisions. My first one would be to buyout/waive Burke. Not to mention that they still have to clean up the front court mess. Otherwise the WCS at SF joke might become reality.

I meant as far as Frankie Smokes is concerned.  While I don't love the DSJ idea, I'd pick him of the two as his skillset seems to fill our void better.  

WCS at SF is no joke.  I never joke about WCS.  Never.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 10:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/James_HamNBCS/status...6318704642

Lol, that's not the Sixers SL team I remember.
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 10:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/James_HamNBCS/status...6318704642

I think this is actually video of when I played 2K for the first time.
Like Reply
Travis Schlenk traded away a generational superstar and might still be the best GM in the league. Jalen Johnson (#20) and Sharife Cooper (#48) look like two more steals. We f****** need to get better at drafting/asset management or we´ll never compete for a title.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 12:44 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Travis Schlenk traded away a generational superstar and might still be the best GM in the league. Jalen Johnson (#20) and Sharife Cooper (#48) look like two more steals. We f****** need to get better at drafting/asset management or we´ll never compete for a title.

Apparently drafting and developing is a fools game if you think you are a contender or have a generational talent.

I dont know about you guys...but every summer league team looks so so much better than Dallas.

Mortgaging the future is better than drafting and developing...who woulda thought.

On the topic of drafting though...

I dont know the numbers or percentages that will be thrown at me to try and prove that drafting is a crap shoot...

But my casual fan suggestion for the Mavs on drafting is to make sure the guy can play basketball(has necessary fundamentals) before even considering the player.   Going further...dont get enamored with size and length even if thats where the league is going.   Give the 6'6 baller with all around game more consideration than the 6'9 player who is one dimensional but you hope you can coach him up.   Dont get lost in the weeds because you are chasing analytics or size...look at basketball players.
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 01:31 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: But my casual fan suggestion for the Mavs on drafting is to make sure the guy can play basketball(has necessary fundamentals) before even considering the player.   Going further...dont get enamored with size and length even if thats where the league is going.   Give the 6'6 baller with all around game more consideration than the 6'9 player who is one dimensional but you hope you can coach him up.   Dont get lost in the weeds because you are chasing analytics or size...look at basketball players.

It's a balance though.  Look no further than Jalen Brunson vs Mitchell Robinson.
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 12:44 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Travis Schlenk traded away a generational superstar and might still be the best GM in the league. Jalen Johnson (#20) and Sharife Cooper (#48) look like two more steals. We f****** need to get better at drafting/asset management or we´ll never compete for a title.

Just goes to show you how fast you can turn things around with the right moves. Atlanta hasn't been any good since reaching the ECF in 2015 until now. I'll give Nico and Kidd some time, but they better get things poppin quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Like Reply
Is there a team with less young talent than the Mavs?  Of course for this exercise you would have to remove Luka; and also do the same for other teams with sub-24 best players like Tatum, Morant, Trae, etc.

24 (yes arbitrary number) and under: M. Brown, Green, Hinton, Terry...not counting Brunson who is 25 at the end of this month

Nets: Brown is 25 in two days which leaves them with Claxton and...Day'Ron Sharpe?

Clips: Mann (Oct) and Zubac (March) both turn 25 this season; without them it's Johnson, Oturu and Scrubb.

Bucks: DiVincenzo turns 25 in January which leaves them Nwora and Kurucs

Jazz: Paschall is 25 in November; Aside from him its Azubuike and then a group of 4 developmental wings in Morgan, Forrest, Hughes and 2nd Round pick Butler

So 4 of the favorites to win a Chip this year are the closest I can get to Mavs level of 24 and under talent.  

Just for good measure one of the other teams that are probably near the bottom in 24 and under talent:

Pacers: Goga, Brissett, Duarte, Jackson, Stanley...Rick won't play any of them!!!  
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...4055252995
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...3889792005
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1426517373801144320
Like Reply
this is a pretty good call.   Love the enthusiasm.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...4057776133
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • jesusshuttlesworth82
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 02:58 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Is there a team with less young talent than the Mavs?  Of course for this exercise you would have to remove Luka; and also do the same for other teams with sub-24 best players like Tatum, Morant, Trae, etc.

24 (yes arbitrary number) and under: M. Brown, Green, Hinton, Terry...not counting Brunson who is 25 at the end of this month

Nets: Brown is 25 in two days which leaves them with Claxton and...Day'Ron Sharpe?

Clips: Mann (Oct) and Zubac (March) both turn 25 this season; without them it's Johnson, Oturu and Scrubb.

Bucks: DiVincenzo turns 25 in January which leaves them Nwora and Kurucs

Jazz: Paschall is 25 in November; Aside from him its Azubuike and then a group of 4 developmental wings in Morgan, Forrest, Hughes and 2nd Round pick Butler

So 4 of the favorites to win a Chip this year are the closest I can get to Mavs level of 24 and under talent.  

Just for good measure one of the other teams that are probably near the bottom in 24 and under talent:

Pacers: Goga, Brissett, Duarte, Jackson, Stanley...Rick won't play any of them!!!  

Brissett played major minutes while Warren was out. Duarte and Jackson look like rotational players. He better play them.
Like Reply
[Image: E8xdDVsVEAIIxRB?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply