[Image: E7ZVLAhXsAUb-_l?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: E7ZWRc3XsAkcXCP?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: E7ZWRc0XMAIgrgC?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...3802119168
Like Reply
some infos who will be on the team? or is  it to early 4 this infos? maybe after the draft and start of FA
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 12:27 PM)Spin4177 Wrote: some infos who will be on the team? or is  it to early 4 this infos? maybe after the draft and start of FA

I assume 3 of our 4 rookies will be on the team.  Green will be TBD. 

A week or so ago there was a report that Robert Franks would be playing on our summer league team.  Franks has been in the G-League.   6'9 guy with long arms who can really shoot.  Not very explosive though.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 12:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I assume 3 of our 4 rookies will be on the team.  Green will be TBD. 

A week or so ago there was a report that Robert Franks would be playing on our summer league team.  Franks has been in the G-League.   6'9 guy with long arms who can really shoot.  Not very explosive though.

yeah i have heared about Franks. 6,9 with a hugh wingspan is a good start.
a nice shoot is important too. but only if he can play D.

ok so lets enjoy and dont put the expectations to high^^
Like Reply
Can we merge the undrafted scrub free agents threads who we will forget existed in a few months from now into this thread? Seems like there are too many "Important Threads" pinned. Sorry just feels clunky.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 03:19 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Can we merge the undrafted scrub free agents threads who we will forget existed in a few months from now into this thread? Seems like there are too many "Important Threads" pinned. Sorry just feels clunky.

Going to unpin those at the end of today...just wanted each person who comes by once every couple days to see them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/142...0603244544
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:48 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/142...0603244544

Great.   Most of these invites will not make it.  Probably the odds are against them to even make it to the G-League team.  But I love looking under every rock and also creating internal competition.
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 02:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Great.   Most of these invites will not make it.  Probably the odds are against them to even make it to the G-League team.  But I love looking under every rock and also creating internal competition.

This. A change of attitude when it comes to the summer league roster or Texas Legends has been one of my priorities for years. All hope was lost under the old regime but maybe Kidd and Harrison can turn things around.
If only one former summer league/camp invite/Legends turns into a legit rotation piece it was worth it. That´s the kind of mindset they need. No it isn´t likely that player A/B/C makes it in the NBA but that doesn´t mean that they shouldn´t try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DrMav
Like Reply
I would love if there would be a push to allow teams to try and develop their talent with a more minor league system. Right now I feel like a young NBA player has to be ready to contribute within just a couple of years, or their likely out for good unless they have some very special physical trait that buys them an extra couple years of developmental time.

Right now if they don't make it within those first couple years, they have to either go to some other league where the focus for them isn't really on their development into an NBA player, but rather to fit into their team there and win, and the dream of playing in the NBA completely dies for the most part. 

The system I envision would be something along the lines of expanding the NBA draft to a total of 4 rounds. Round 1 picks still get the guaranteed roster spot, but 2-4 either can sign a real contract, a 2-way contract, or sign some sort of "rights controlled" contract. Maybe this contract could be something like $250K per year for 4-5 years where the player has more focused development with the team (plays for the G-league affiliate, practices with the NBA team when available, works out with the team over the summer, etc).  Depending on how the player progresses, at some point they can get a real contract, or they can get traded to a team that will give them one. If they prove after those years that they won't get there, then they go about their basketball lives however they want. 

This would probably cost the league money, and would only really interest the hardcore fan so it's not gonna happen, but I really feel there's enough of these guys that come out that are athletes that have like 75% of an NBA skill and could turn into actual NBA players if given enough focused developmental time. There may be a lot of players that would decline to sign these contracts and just take their game oversees to make more money and that would be fine, but I bet there's a lot of American born players that would love the opportunity to refine their game in the States while holding out for an NBA chance.
[-] The following 4 users Like DrMav's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, Kammrath, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
@"DrMav" I think what you are proposing would be awesome but you already mentioned the probem. Don´t think the league is against it. More about owners and veteran players. Both NBPA and owners already blocked the addition of another roster spot last season. Owners want to limit the costs. Some of them aren´t even willing to invest into a g-league affiliate. NBPA on the other hand isn´t supporting the case of undrafted rookies. They are protecting what they have and don´t want to share it. Right now the total salary is split between 500 guys (+/-). They have no interest to add even more. The big names control the league and I think we will see a "super super max" before we see additional roster spots or fully integrated g-league teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 03:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: @"DrMav" I think what you are proposing would be awesome but you already mentioned the probem. Don´t think the league is against it. More about owners and veteran players. Both NBPA and owners already blocked the addition of another roster spot last season. Owners want to limit the costs. Some of them aren´t even willing to invest into a g-league affiliate. NBPA on the other hand isn´t supporting the case of undrafted rookies. They are protecting what they have and don´t want to share it. Right now the total salary is split between 500 guys (+/-). They have no interest to add even more. The big names control the league and I think we will see a "super super max" before we see additional roster spots or fully integrated g-league teams.
I agree, I think the best way to get somewhat the desired effect the good Doctor is asking for is to expand. Seattle and LV need teams. That’s adding 30 roster spots with the potential of more GLeague teams too. 

Having owners of GLeague teams more interested in developed NBA players would be good too. Maybe a kick-back for any GLeague player that gets an NBA contract? Maybe Donnie would care a bit about his team then?
Like Reply
I think more rounds of draft would actually hurt the chances of those players.
Players want some freedom with their development and to land in good situation, going to NBA team to be paid few $ and no roster spot isn't going to help them more than choosing the right situation or going overseas.
The NBA is actually closer to forfeiting the meaningless second round if anything,  problem is it is a cheap trade currency that make things easier in trade market
Like Reply
Agree or disagree with Chuck?

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1421498725508202504
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • jesusshuttlesworth82
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Agree or disagree with Chuck?

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1421498725508202504

Not sure, but hopefully this taps the brakes on all the "he should've been in the rotation last year" people. 

I'm pretty excited about Green as a prospect, but not because I think he was (or even is, necessarily) ready to play right out of the box.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure, but hopefully this taps the brakes on all the "he should've been in the rotation last year" people. 

I'm pretty excited about Green as a prospect, but not because I think he was (or even is, necessarily) ready to play right out of the box.

I really want him in summer league.   He has had a rough year.   No summer league last year.  Very little playing time with the real NBA team.   The one break when the Mavs had extended practice time, he was sent to the G-league bubble and had to sit out for a few days for quarantine so he missed the most practice time the Mavs had.   Then he played a few G-league games and then the season ended.   Now he is in the Olympics and not receiving playing time.   So for a guy who needs minutes on the court he really hasn't had much over the last year plus.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:26 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I think more rounds of draft would actually hurt the chances of those players.
Players want some freedom with their development and to land in good situation, going to NBA team to be paid few $ and no roster spot isn't going to help them more than choosing the right situation or going overseas.
The NBA is actually closer to forfeiting the meaningless second round if anything,  problem is it is a cheap trade currency that make things easier in trade market

I think most late first and on picks are unfortunately put in the situation where they are either ready to contribute right away or will be tossed aside. It’s the lucky ones that land on a bad team where they can focus on development, and even rarer IMO that they find a team where they aren’t needed but can still develop behind the scenes. Sending these players to the G-League in its current form really doesn’t impact their development as we saw 1st hand where our team affiliate was the NBA team general manager, yet we still weren’t on the same page with the Legends to use it for good development.

I think a tweak to the system would have to more closely intertwine the affiliate team with the NBA team, and if the players were under a form of an NBA contract, the NBA team would have more incentive to actually work on their development. 

I get what you’re saying where players want a say in their situation, but the current model basically means that players have very little time to show they can contribute, otherwise they go to other situations (like oversees) where they probably focus on their development even less. This would still allow players to choose their own path where they could go oversees and follow the money while hoping for development, but if they truly want a chance at an NBA career they could follow this path. I think of it akin to a high school baseball player that is drafted having the option of signing into the developmental system or going to college instead.

All that said, it doesn’t really matter as pointed out because the owners and current players have no desire to dilute the pot.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1422301304572026883
Like Reply
[Image: E70Hf2RXMAgdlMh?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply