Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: TT out w/ groin strain | JG not playing | Mavs go 1-4
https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/1...2168992773
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1...1869449218
Like Reply
This was genuinely some of the worst basketball I've ever seen from a Mavs affiliated team. Gave me flashbacks of the 90's. Most of these guys looked like high-school players and I had seen enough after game 2.

Hinton was a big disappointment as he still doesn't have any sort of offensive game. Perhaps he had a bad tournament. I'm still chasing that pre-season Hinton last year where he was scoring from all over the floor but that seems like a major outlier. 

Terry didn't really show much. He flashed some good drives and showed off his nice shot, but it was marred with inconsistent play that left me wondering if he'd make a shot or turn it over play-by-play. That and he was one of the worst defenders on the team. Basically told me he's still nowhere near an NBA caliber player and the Mavs should cut bait before anyone else figures it out.

Omoruyi had some nice moments, but again it's easy to standout amongst trash. I'd be shocked if he plays more than 100 minutes this year. I suppose it depends on how much garbage time is available. All the others aren't NBA material and I look forward to forgetting all of their names.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 01:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Hinton was a big disappointment as he still doesn't have any sort of offensive game.

I don't really agree about this one. First of all he was asked to do too much. He was mostly playing PG which he isn't but I though he actually did a quite decent job considering his limitations, arguably better than Terry. 

Hinton was getting himself in a position to score, that was not a problem. He did drive (and finish) rather nicely. He can create a mid range jumper for himself and he was shooting threes. The only problem was that the shot mostly wasn't falling. It is difficult for us to assess if that was just a slump or tragic reality. Sample size is still extremely small. 

I really like that Hinton is NBA ready as far as his body goes. He is developed enough to play off ball 3-D guy. Now he has to improve that 3 part. He is still only 22. 

(08-19-2021, 01:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Terry didn't really show much.

Agree on this one. I just don't see this one work, even in a long term. He is so small, always has injury problems and is not really showing anything special skill wise, especially when playing with the big boys. He is not really a PG and way too small to really create for himself. Honestly I haven't seen the talent that had some convinced (Kevin O'Connor was a huge fan) he is a first round pick.

(08-19-2021, 01:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Omoruyi had some nice moments, but again it's easy to standout amongst trash. I'd be shocked if he plays more than 100 minutes this year.

Same as Hinton Omoruyi can play today due to his body, but his shooting ability will determine his long term future. Didn't look very good in the summer league - actually whole team was a terrible shooting team. I think best case for Hinton and Omoruyi is, if Mavs consolidate a bit more top heavy roster with them being promoted to end of bench roster spots. If they don't fill those spots with vet min vets.
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 03:25 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't really agree about this one. First of all he was asked to do too much. He was mostly playing PG

That´s my biggest takeaway. Cannot really judge any of the mentioned players (at least on offense) because they played in an offense without any kind of playmaker. 3&D/hustle wings forced to make plays for themself. I really wonder how proven NBA wings would look in a similar situation. Let´s say DFS or Reggie Bullock. Both can defend and shoot. Neither one should be asked to put the ball on the floor.
I don´t think the individual players failed. The coaches and staff that build the roster set them up for failure.
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 04:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t think the individual players failed. The coaches and staff that build the roster set them up for failure.

I don't think result was the important part of this summer league. Also possible they expected more playmaking and got their answer regarding this aspect for sure Smile 

It is obvious the summer league team was collected with limited talent. I think Terry was the only guy who was actually drafted and even him just as a second round pick. So we had a collection of the guys who are obviously limited. We could say most of them have at least part of their game that could be considered close to elite, while severly lacking in other areas. Hunt is a great athlete with limited basic basketball skills, Onu is a great paint protecting defender who can switch on perimeter but has nothing else, Omoruyi and Hinton have NBA ready bodies and meh overall skills, Jones can get to the rim and create for himself but is not a good shooter or PG, Franks is a big wing with a decent defense and shot,... So if they can improve in one or more of those areas, they can become NBA players.

But lets be honest - shot for any of these guys to actualy make it is extremely low. There is only about 500 NBA players and 60 are drafted each year. Every year there will be a new set of hundreds of guys like them coming trying to make it, and they will be a year younger. Even in best case we are mainly thinking about these guys as end of the bench players anyway. Mavs are not in a position to give a couple of developmental seasons and minutes like they could give to DFS and Kleber. They are looking for guys who can contribute now. They gave DFS 20 mpg while he was scoring 5 ppg on below 30 % shooting, similar story with Maxi. There is no way any of these guys will get such an opportunity unless half a team would go down with injuries. We don't even know if a FRP Green will get anywhere close to that.
Like Reply
Just to add - Mavs summer league team sure lacked a "I am a great offensive guy who creates for everyone but I don't play defense at all" guy. No idea if such a guy was even available in the pool Mavs were selecting from.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...5111022604

Good.  I assume this is to bring him to camp to eventually get him on our G-league team where we can work with him for a year and see how he develops.   He has a long way to go, but I am glad they saw something in him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
[Image: E9Qo9xdX0BEY_6r?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply