Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(06-17-2024, 02:02 PM)Arioch Wrote: Kyrie is playing 40 minutes a game in the playoffs in large part because the only real back-up we have for him and Luka has given them absolutely nothing (until last game). The Mavs should be looking for someone who lets them hold Kyrie below 36--and take a few of Luka's minutes as well. We have the two best closers in the game but running them both over 40 minutes a game means they not the best closers they could be every night due to tired legs.

No idea if Sexton is the answer, but whoever is the answer, you don't want to think about how many minutes have been available this playoff run but rather how many minutes you want him to be able to take from Lukai without completely cratering our offense.

Stars play big minutes in the playoffs.  That doesn't change because you have a quality 6th man.  The best players in the league generally play at least upper 30s in the playoffs.  I would prefer not to spend big assets/cap on a player that doesn't work on the court with Luka and Kyrie (diminishing returns offensively while exposing the defense)

I do think we need a legit backup point guard on this team.  We don't have one now.  If we can hold onto DJJ, the next priority would be to get a vet point guard on BAE (or min).  Somebody like Monte Morris.  Somebody who can help shed some minutes off Luka and Kyrie during the regular season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41
(06-17-2024, 01:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with you, but just to play Devil's Advocate...

Kyire and Kleber are literally the only two real players on the roster not totally locked into Luka's timeline. Part of the reason I was so disappointed in ending up with Kyrie as Brunson's replacement (at a fairly high asset cost, no less) was his age. Now, in the short term, that has worked out really well for the Mavs, obviously, but how sure are we that Kyrie can have this sort of impact even one more time in the playoffs? Will he ever be healthy at playoff time again? This is the first time he has had a healthy, normal season in like 6-7 years. Are we feeling great about him repeating it?

To some degree you have to roll the dice.  I'm not sure there has been a champion that didn't have at least one player in their 30s that would have derailed their run if injured.  As I just mentioned above, I think we do need a backup point guard to hopefully relieve some of the minutes off Luka and Kyrie during the regular season, but I don't think we have the assets to make this team a contender while missing Kyrie due to injury.
(06-17-2024, 03:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: To some degree you have to roll the dice.  I'm not sure there has been a champion that didn't have at least one player in their 30s that would have derailed their run if injured.  As I just mentioned above, I think we do need a backup point guard to hopefully relieve some of the minutes off Luka and Kyrie during the regular season, but I don't think we have the assets to make this team a contender while missing Kyrie due to injury.

If Cuban muffed the Brunson situation, he somewhat recouped his losses with the more-skilled, but older Kyrie.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes WildArkieBoy's post:
  • BigDirk41
(06-17-2024, 05:10 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: If Cuban muffed the Brunson situation, he somewhat recouped his losses with the more-skilled, but older Kyrie.  

We wouldn't have Lively if we didn't mess up the Brunson situation. That's the end of the story for me. Kyrie and Lively are far superior to Brunson as much as I love Brunson. The sky is the limit for Lively. He's been amazing as a rookie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
(06-17-2024, 05:52 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: We wouldn't have Lively if we didn't mess up the Brunson situation. That's the end of the story for me. Kyrie and Lively are far superior to Brunson as much as I love Brunson. The sky is the limit for Lively. He's been amazing as a rookie.

The tradeoff is a little more than that.  Its Brunson (at 12 mil) + Dorian + Dinwiddie + first round pick + late first round pick vs Kyrie + Lively.  I love Lively, but that was a lot to give up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft